CHAPTER 1

KISSES DON'T MATTER ANYWAY

It was nothing more than an ordinary day. A lazy afternoon with a cloudy sky staring down at us. It was the perfect day to sleep cuddling all the pillows you have all curled up in your bed. Pillows being only for singles -those who were not lucky to have found their soulmates. Or unlucky. Depends on how you look at it. 

It had been torture seeing those three dates written there in black and white on my wrist. At the age of 7 I saw my dates appear. I had been waiting so long for it. Mummy always told stories about soulmates and destiny. She often talked about meeting dad for the first time , so unexpectedly yet so real and precious. Even at the age of 7,  I was captured away by the fascination of soulmates and the fate entwined together. I strongly believed in the power of the dates written harmlessly across the skin.
But when my 7th birthday rolled by I lost both my interest in soulmate and my precious angel mum.
After a huge fight Dad left me and Mum all by ourselves to rot alone. No matter how much my mother begged him not to leave he didn't care . he left us. He left us for someone else.
It was too much of a shock that Mum died before the date written on her wrist. Just before the day I was to be imprinted with my fate Mum left me. Not just alone. But with despair to keep me company. But that was not all.
Despair and hurt  washed over me all over again when I saw that all three dates on my wrist were of the same day with a minute difference between each of those wretched moments.

 " Mum can you see this?I am not meant to receive love in this world. You were wrong ,not everyone find their soulmates. Not every one get their happy ending. This is a lie! Mum ! How can you leave me when I want you the most?! " 

The deep dark pit I had fallen into had no other way of exit except the conclusion that this was all a fraud. A lie.
Ever since then I despised the day I would meet my soulmate. I never had a goal I wanted to achieve someday. It became a practice for me to constantly cover my wrists with a band .I had made up my mind, hardened my heart. I was not going to live my life according to a bunch of numbers written on my wrist.

Apparently enough not everyone shared my opinion. Passing through middle school and coming to high school was a nightmare. Every girl  I met had stupid fantasies about meeting their soul mates. Some who had already met them. Every time they asked about mine I would blatantly say " I don't believe in soulmates" .

At highschool things got easier . The people there had matured enough to not obsess about the numbers written on their wrists.
The friends I found there began to accept me who I am with my opinions. They knew that I disliked to talk about that topic. And they respected it. Apart from mild teasing about it.

 

"Hey earth to Hana." Tina waved her hand in front of my face. She and I had been joint by hip ever since pre school. She was probably the one who understood the most. "Oh come on, don't tell me you weren't listening to anything I said right now!"


I smiled ruefully, and did my best puppy eyes 
"sorry my darling friend"

She rolled her eyes knowing too well about it. 
"So anyway what I  was telling was that Lucy found her soulmate ! And guess who it was ? It was Natsu! Can you believe it? They were best friends since forever ! Isn't that cute?!"

I narrowed my eyes. Why was she telling me this?

Tina noted my look and sighed." Look here , I know that you don't believe it. But you can't just forget the fact that there are numbers written on your wrist. You will find him. I don't know whether it will work out or not. But you will have to face him"

“But what if I'm dating someone else during that time?” I pointed out. After entering highschool I might be the only girl who had dated so many guys in school. I strongly believed that there are no ‘The Ones' or ‘Other halves’ .You just find the person most compatible to you . Through dating or…well dating is all I know.

Tina looked shocked. “How can you say something like that?! He would be devastated!”


“Tina! Stop it OK? It doesn't matter to me! can you please stop talking about it." I felt bad. I hated getting angry with Tina. But oh gosh sometimes I would like to strangle her .


"Whoa! Look here! trouble in paradise!"

Oh well. Then there is Julie the prettiest girl in out school. Really stupid at common stuff but pretty smart when it comes to relationship problems. Also one of my closest friends. Ever since she learned the word homouality she had been teasing me and Tina as if her life depended on it. Apart from all that she's a good kid. Most of the time.


 "OK OK you know I hate to interrupt  family problems like that but you have to see this OK?. This is epic! I mean everything here is so cool! Do this quiz OK!! Come on !" She excitedly waved a piece of paper in front of our faces. She hurried us to our seats and got us all ready with pen and pencils.

1. What is greatest goal in your life?
  

“Hey! Jule what the hell?” I glared at her. What is this thing? She's probably trying to make me create a goal so that I could fulfill. ( I considered the fact that if I never have a goal in my life I wouldn't be able to  achieve it right? Therefore the 1st date on my wrist would be useless)

“Oh come on ! Dont think too much about it. Its just a quiz" Tina who was sitting right in front me  told .

 "But-"
"If you don't believe in ‘some numbers’ on your wrist why would you worry about this?" Julie asked wittingly. She got me.
"Fine!" I huffed. And then took a pen and wrote down my answers. I actually started to enjoy it


1. What is greatest goal in your life?
Hmm..It would be eating noodles in the rain without getting my noodles wet. Ha! As long as I right stupid goals it wouldn't count anyway.
2. What are the 'must haves' if you date a guy?
OK. First of all he should be an Otaku. Most guys I dated didn't even know what anime was. That was the main reason we never made out well.
He should also have a nice name with a meaning to it. Like something related to sea. Maybe Poseidon?. Haha. 
3. How would you want your guy to react at  a critical situations!
Oh. I want him to be cool and carefree. (There aren't guys like that. Not on this world anyway.)
Like if I said I'm dating someone better than him I want him to be all serious and say that's impossible I'm the best guy for you .
Like he should not take it too seriously but think rationally. ( yeah. You can't find them in this world)
4. What is your favourite colour? 
Random. I like all colours.
5. Where would you want to meet your soulmate?
Oh there it goes. Stupid quiz. Take this.
Near a volcano.
6.His would you want your soulmate to react when he meets you?
Haha. I want him to dance around me holding an umbrella. Preferably ballet. Haha.
I'm enjoying this.


Ooh last question .Lucky 7.


7. What would be the words you want to hear from your soulmate?
I want to hear "You are an Otaku? Good that's all I want from you!" The immortal words.


 I handed over my paper to Julie . She frowned at my answers.

I shrugged "oh come on! Admit it. They are funny. Funny answers to Stupid questions."
Tina and Julie looked at me. Pityingly. I wasn't in the mood for that.
" Come on guys! Let's stop this ! Look teacher is coming anyway!"
As soon as I said it Miss Linda walked into the classroom to begin the lessons. All throughout the period I felt too distracted to concentrate . Miss Linda's words flow through my ears like wind but making no sense at all. Something was troubling me. 

                                    ***

There was a Carnival starting today. All of my friends have been psyched to go there. Even I who hates crowds was excited by the thought of going.
Soon after school just before the sun sets we went ( me, Tina , Julie) delighted for being allowed to go alone.
As soon as I entered I knew it was perfect. People were everywhere and for once I didn't mind it. There were big yellow and red tents, stalls with delicious food and music was blaring from everywhere. 
The food smelled amazing and everything else was a red yellow green blur.

I could hear people on rides screaming making it such an enviable position. Not.

Apparently only I thought so. Because the next thing I knew was that Julie was dragging me and Tina toward the Monster Ride.
There was no way I'm getting on that.
I needn't say it. It was obvious from my face. Julie was like "oh come on!"
I shook my head . Nuh uh. I could see people throwing up  in to ugly green bags after riding it.

So I was  like "no thanks I'll pass"
Tina was also excited to go so Julie gave one stare at me and dropped my hand . Then Tina and Julie climbed onto the ride.

I was starving by that point. So I took some noodles from a nearby stall and went near to watch my lovely friends scream. Thug life.

No sooner did I go there I felt something fall on my face . Water? Rain. It started raining all of a sudden. I was too busy trying to protect my noodles to notice that my friends were getting soaked up there.
I quickly took a spoonful of noodles without getting my favourite food wet, thinking that I have to go find them and help them out as the ride stopped due to the sudden disaster.
 I took one step forward. And came to a halt. Why?
It felt as if someone was slicing my wrist. A burning sensation was felt and it was unbearable. I looked at my wrist. Nothing was there. Then I checked the other. It was still closed by the blue wristband. I slowly removed .

I felt something cold grip my heart. It felt as if all the Oxygen was removed from the place.
The first date written in my wrist had vanished. Instead of it was a timer . Ticking for one minute.
56..55..54..53..52..51..50..
My mind ran over to that stupid quiz.


1. What is greatest goal in your life?
……It would be eating noodles in the rain without getting my noodles wet…

I  felt as if I could die.