Mistletoe

Mistletoe

 

 

 

 

 

You walked down the snow-covered streets of Daegu huddling in your thick woollen coat that just wasn't enough to keep you warm.

Maybe you shouldn't have told your cousin you didn't need that ride to the party.

You were with your dad's relatives this year for Christmas, because your dad's worsening sickness kept him in the hospital and your mom had wanted to stay with him. They had wanted you to remain unaffected by your father's condition; so they sent you somewhere they knew would be festive and cheerful.

Your cousins Jungkook and Jin were the partying type, so you didn't exactly fit in at first with them, but after a few days of living with them you discovered them to be honestly really nice people. You even helped Jin bake cookies for the next party and Jungkook record some new mixtapes, and they'd appreciated your help. And your voice, in Jungkook's place.

You'd been out to do the last of your Christmas shopping and was now headed to your third party with your crazy cousins that you didn't really know until now. Tonight was Christmas Eve, and all the malls and buildings were prettily decorated in red and green and warm Christmas-y colours with bright lights and the roads were dusted in a coat of fine white powder - snow.

As you rushed back to your cousins' house holding your shopping bags and trying to keep your teeth from chattering, you bumped into a stranger on the doorsteps to the house.

"Sorry!" you exclaimed, "Are you alright?" You reach for the stranger's arm as he stumbled a little.

"Yes, yes, of course," the stranger, whom you now discovered was a cute guy around your age with his nose red from the cold. He looked up at you after his small fall and smiled. "Wow, you're really pretty." Then he blushed.

"Oh-" You were cut off when he immediately straightened up and rushed into the house through the holly-decorated door, which up until now, you hadn't noticed had already been open.

So, you decided to just forget about that little episode and join the party. Might as well enjoy it.

---

The house was jam-packed with people and the atmosphere was swirling with Jungkook's punk Christmas carol mixes in the background with Jin's secretly spiked gingerbread alcoholics (gingerbread men, gingerbread alcoholics).

You still weren't terribly used to the social practice people called partying, although you knew to mingle with a few people you knew because of your cousins from the last two parties.

The first of those was a man, Namjoon. You'd met him the previous party and had enlisted his help to make you not feel like an oddball at the next party, which consequently, would be your last before you flew back to Busan.

Namjoon was a really good friend of your cousins, and since Jungkook was also from Busan and so was technically your townmate, you hung out a lot with him and his friends. They were all welcoming, especially Namjoon, because he was, most of the time, the mature one, and had welcomed you into their little posh group with little said.

Namjoon waved you over to the pool table where he and Jin had already set up a game of beer pong on one side. But they were still trying to play pool on the other half of the table, as you could see, and both of them were a little tipsy, as Namjoon was feeling up Jin's broad back as he taught him the best way to poke the balls into the holes.

Well, you swerved away from them, knowing that Namjoon wouldn't be offended as he probably actually wanted privacy and probably wouldn't remember any of it when he wakes up tomorrow with a burning hangover.

The party passed with you just listening to the music and drinking in the atmosphere.

---

"It's time for the countdown, ma homies!" someone screamed into the microphone Jungkook used for singing occasionally. Last part of the night then, before this last party would be over and you'd soon be whisked back to your life of normalcy and routine.

You had decided, some time during the party, to join the crowd of people dancing in the living room and just move to the music. Now, just before the countdown, everyone moved around a little to be close to the people they wanted to give their first Christmas wishes to. Namjin were nowhere to be found, but you spied Jungkook and his girlfriend in a corner of the room hugging and releasing couple vibes.

"10!" You decided to just stay where you were on the dance floor.

"9!" Everyone joined in to count.

"8!" You thought about how you wanted to be here again next Christmas. You'd ask Jin before you leave tomorrow.

"7!" Someone bumped into you.
The adorable stranger from before.

"6!" 
"Sorry!" He'd been bumped by the couple smooching behind him.

"5!" 
"It's okay, pretty boy."

"4!"
"Look up. See the mistletoe?" You cannot believe you had just said that.

"3!" He looked.
"Y-yeah."

"2!" Awkward silence.

"1!" More awkward silence.

"Merry Christmas you motheras!" And you kissed him. Under the mistletoe.

When you broke apart, he said, "I-I'm, um, Jimin. What's your n-name?"