Chapter One

Blade of Glory

You know those scenes in the movies where they show you frames from when the protagonist was a kid and all her childhood friend are there. And she was either happier with life or regretting everything she has, only to realize in the end, that her life was more perfect as a kid than it will ever be as an adult? This is not one of those. This is reality. My reality, that is. And this is my story.

I was always the ‘fangirl’, somehow I have managed to be the one in the bleacher cheering for someone else, never the one in the spotlight being cheered for. After all the spotlight was never my dream any way, it was way too flashy and public for me. I love the private life that I have—well, the almost private life that is, at least for now. Why? Because it was on this faithful January afternoon that I met the people who will change my life forever.

“Hi!”

I looked up to see this tall kid with oval glasses looking down at me as I was tying my shoes, he has brown hair which was parted to the left and was carrying a rather big bag on his shoulder.

“Hi?”

“That sounded more like a question than an actually greeting.”

He had this habit of adjusting his glasses when talking to people, or so I’ve noticed in the few seconds since I met him. Actually, I sort of found that out after a few more encounters, but suffice to say, it kind of defined him as a person; or at least to me it did.

“I’m sorry. I was not sure if it was me you were talking to.”

“I’m looking at you, and, no one else is here, so I guess it’s you who I’m talking to.”

Tying you shoelaces in the middle of a crowded street was not exactly the brightest idea. And being told that there was no one else there, when a gazillion people were walking by was an even more confusing notion at that. But everything is confusing when you’re nine. I think it is, well, for me it was.

“My name’s Ken Takahashi, and you are?”

How should I react an unknown boy extending his hand to me? I’m home schooled by the way, which means, I don’t really get to communicate much with people. Well, people outside the church that is, and other than the 76-years-old couple that lives next door.

“Why do you look so scared? I’m not going to bite you.”

That sounds like a scary thought, being that he had a rather scary face. Oh, no, not that he looked like some ghost come to life sort of scary. He was just, so serious looking for someone his age. Not that I already know his age, since we’ve only gotten to the part about him being, what was his name again?

“I’m sorry, I’m just not used to interacting with people.”

“Why? Do you live under a rock?”

Okay, that was harsh. It seems he was not the nicest person alive; but I’ll give him credit, he did notice me in the pool of people on this busy walkway.

“No, I live in a house, with my parents actually.”

“That was a figure of speech, I didn’t mean it literally.”

How old are you? You speak like an adult and think like one at that. You don’t look any older than I am and yet why such sarcasm? Oh bother, at least I have someone to talk to; after all, I am lost.

“Did I offend you?”

“A little.”

“Sorry.”

“Okay.”

“Let me start over. Hi, my name is Ken Takahashi, I’m nine and I play tennis in that sporting arena over there. I noticed you looked kind of lost so I came up to you.”

“I was that obvious?”

“It’s not like you were trying to hide it or anything.”

“Wait a minute, you play tennis? But it’s winter.”

“Yes. Thus, the indoor tennis court.”

“Right.”

“What’s your name?”

“Me?”

“No the person behind you.”

Stupid enough, yes, I did, I looked behind me to see if there was indeed someone standing there. I felt so senseless after realizing what I did, and trying hard not to blush I turned back to face him.

“I’m Aliyah.”

“Does that go with a last name, or is it just Aliyah?”

I see, he’s a smarty pants as well. Why am I even bothering talking to him.

“Aliyah Poulton.”

“And how old are you?”

“I’m nine.”

“Oh, we’re the same age, you look like a seven years-old.”

I am going to take that as a compliment, coming from a kid who was my age and yet looked like he was fourteen. That is a thought that I shall forever keep to myself, I hope I would.

“Why are you here? And where are your parents?”

“Where are yours?”

“My dad is in the office and my mom is at home.”

Thank you for that wonderful update on your life status, can you leave me alone to be lost by myself now? Because seriously this is getting to be a bit irritating for me; but from the looks of it he has no plans of going anywhere, anytime soon.

“I’m sorry what was your name again?”

“It’s Ken. Ken Takahashi. But you can call me Ken.”

“Okay, Ken; don’t you have tennis to go to?”

“Yeah, I do, but my opponents aren’t here yet so, I guess I’ll hang out with you for a while.”

Who invited you into my life? I knew coming here was a bad idea, I came just so I can have my once a week physical education sort of session with the other home school girls in church. And I had to suggest to have it here.

“Who are you waiting for?”

“My friends.”

“Friends?”

Why are you giving me that tone? Don’t I look like I have friends?

“Yeah, my friends.”

“Okay, what are you and your friends going to do here then?”

“We’re going to the skating rink.”

“I see. Do you skate?”

“No.”

“Then what are you going to do in the skating rink?”

“Skate.”

“You just said you didn’t skate.”

“I don’t.”

“You’re confusing me.”

Well, forgive me, but I’ve been more confused of my own life as well since the moment I met you, so excuse me for ruining your life all of a sudden.

“Hi!”

“What do you want?”

Okay, it’s official he is impolite and lives in his own self centered world.

“Hello cousin.”

Cousin? Okay, when did this become a family reunion? And when was I invited into the family?

“Who’s your friend Ken?”

“None of your business.”

“She your girlfriend?”

“What’s it to you if she was?”

Wait a second! Why was I dragged into this family affair all of a sudden? Hold it, I do not want to participate in this feud of a doubt between these two; one of which I don’t even know who.

“Hi, I’m Yuki.”

Well here’s an interesting figure, at least the other half of these family has a brighter disposition to life.

“Hi, I’m Aliyah.”

“Nice to meet you Aliyah, it’s the first time I’ve seen you around here, are you new here?”

“No, actually, I grew up in this neighbourhood.”

“You did?”

Oh, you’re still there? I thought if I think of happy thoughts you’d just disappear or something. Apparently that only happens in fairy tales. Note to self, stop watching fantasy cartoons, they don’t happen in real life.

“Yes.”

“How come we’ve never seen you before?”

“Probably because I’m home schooled and I don’t go out of the house much, except to go to church.”

“How come we don’t see you in church either?”

“Probably because she attends a different church than us; right Aliyah?”

“Probably.”

I like him better than this other guy, he’s friendlier, and more accommodating. I can definitely have him for a friend.

“Well, maybe you two should talk, since she came here to skate anyway.”

“Oh, you skate?”

“No.”

“He skates.”

“You do?”

“Yes, figure.”

“Figure what out?”

“You’re funny. No, I mean figure skating.”

“Oh, figure skating, I knew that. Sorry.”

I am making a complete fool out of myself, and someone over there to my right is enjoying himself watching me make one. I’d like to see you swing that racket, let’s see just how good you are, you smug.

“I’m going to leave you two now.”

“Ken, don’t forget, dinner at our place, remind aunt will you?”

“She never forgets.”

“You two are really cousins?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Nothing.”

“Ken can be a little sarcastic at times, but he’s a really nice guy.”

Nice guy huh, in which part of his personality am I going to see that exactly? Point it to me please, I beg of you. Seeing these two, I see the embodiment of the word ‘diversity’, I guess this right here is a life lesson for me.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t get your last name, but then, you two are cousins right? So I guess you’re a Takahashi too?”

“No, actually, my last name is Healey.”

“But that’s English.”

“Yes it is.”

“I’m sorry. But—.”

“I look Japanese?”

“Yes.”

“Because I am.”

“What?”

“Don’t be confused. I’m half.”

“Oh. And he’s— whole?”

“You’re funny.”

“I am?”

“Ken, yeah, you can say he’s ‘whole’. Strictly speaking the proper term would be, he’s pure.”

“Oh. Yeah, right. Sorry.”

“You’re home schooled right? So you don’t get to mingle with people a lot?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, maybe we can be friends then? So you’d have some other people to talk to.”

“That would be nice.”

“Are you expecting some other friends to skate with?”

“Actually I’m expecting a few of my home school girlfriends to be coming over.”

“Oh, more home school girls, that’s nice.”

Well that’s a first. Most people think home schooled individuals are these freaks and overly religious bunch of beings whose life mission is to the ultimate geek that will change the course of the universe from utter destruction. Mind you, we’re not.

“Ah—.”

“Is there something you want to ask?”

“Yuki. This is embarrassing, being that I’ve only met you, but—.”

“But what?”

“I’m pretty bad with sports, in general. I understand the theory behind any sport that I’m interested in, but when I try to put my finger into it, it always comes out like this really bad science project that got an ‘F’.”

“That’s a really weird analogy on how un-athletic you are.”

“Okay, you must think I’m weird.”

“No, it’s just, you’re a pretty interesting character.”

“Never mind.”

“What is it Aliyah? Come on, don’t be shy.”

He had this really friendly set of eyes. Those chinky brown eyes that smiles when he smiles. As bright and as full of life as he was, his face emits sunshine and daisies; and when he walks, he floats. Oh, I’ve got to see him on the ice. Just home much finesse can a nine-year-old have on the ice anyway, oh wait, is he nine?

“Yuki, how old are you?”

“I’m nine. Ken and I are the same age.”

“Oh, we’re all the same age, that’s nice.”

“Did you want to ask something else, other than my age?”

“Yeah.”

“And what was that other thing you wanted to ask?”

“Can you?—.”

“Can I?”

“Maybe, teach me how to skate?”

His eyes lit up when I asked him that, like he was waiting all his life for someone to ask him that. The way he smiled at me was like snowflakes touching my nose on a cold winter morning. Why? Because every winter, on the first snow, I run outside and lift my face up to the heaven, until the first snowflake touches my nose. The connection you ask? That first snowflake that touches my nose, never fails to make me smile; and that was Yuki, from the moment I first met him, he never failed to make me smile.

“Okay, first you have to find your balance.”

“Okay.”

“You ready?”

“I think so.”

“Don’t’ let go of my hand, okay?”

“Okay.”

His hands felt so warm despite the freezing ice. The way he would try to catch me when I fall on the ice, and the way he pulled me up each time I did hit the ice; were moments that thought me a valuable life lesson. There will always be that someone in this planet who will look at you and make you feel that you were the most important person in this world. But just like the snow melts away in the spring, so does the illusion.