A Dream or a Nightmare?

Beyond the Walls

~ Chapter III ~

 

Jinyoung

 

Jinyoung didn’t know what was different about him, about Mark. He didn’t scream or twist and turn in the cramped hospital beds like all the others. He barely even seemed like he was in pain besides his furrowed eyebrows. For a single moment, the rage he had directed at Mark disappeared, and the boy himself was beautiful. Then it was over.

 

He killed someone… he’s just a wolf in sheep’s clothes.

 

“Jinyoung? Please lie down and relax, I’m almost ready,” Jinyoung’s attention returned to the situation at hand and he slowly laid down on the bed. The mattress wasn’t soft, in fact, Jinyoung could feel the cold from the metal underneath seeping through.

 

“How long will it take?” Jinyoung asked nervously, his eyes watching the doctor’s every move.

 

“Mm, the extraction should only take about two minutes, recovery wise, it’s different from person to person,” The doctor answered just as he pulled the cap off off a very thin and sharp needle. Jinyoung gulped down hard, already feeling his stomach turn. The man finally looked up, needle resting in his right hand, “Are you ready?”

 

Jinyoung wasn’t ready, not in the slightest. The loud screams and yells in the room suddenly got louder and his ears rang. Unable to control himself, Jinyoung nodded his head up and down slowly. He was afraid, terrified for his life.

 

The doctor couldn’t have moved any slower - reaching for Jinyoung’s right arm, massaging his arm with his fingers to find the main veins. After what seemed like eternity, he finally drew the needle close to Jinyoung’s pale skin. As it neared, Jinyoung found himself looking away, unable to watch as the needle went through. He felt it though, a small prick that stung slightly; the pain didn’t come.

 

For a moment, Jinyoung thought that maybe he was like Mark, unable to feel pain that the others were experiencing, but then it came.

 

Suddenly, it felt as though ice were ripping through his veins, causing his whole body to shudder as it spread through every connection within his system. Without him noticing, Jinyoung’s voice began to pick up, his body had curled into a ball, and his limbs had gone numb. With every pound of his heart, intense pain exploded inside of Jinyoung. His body fluctuated from hot to cold, sweat dripping down his body and face.

 

Jinyoung screamed; he couldn’t hear anything. Everything was empty. Jinyoung wanted to rip out the syringe that protruded from his arm, but he couldn’t will his hands to move, instead they were gripping on the thin mattress.

 

In a panic, Jinyoung looked with wild eyes down at his arm - connected to the syringe, a thin tube trailed into a large IV bag resting on the table. The bag was slowly filling with a deep red liquid with blue and purple specks. It was his blood.

 

There was an increase in pain as suddenly, a man pulled the syringe from Jinyoung’s arm, immediately pressing down on the vein with gauze. Jinyoung didn’t bother to check if it was that same doctor, he scrunched his eyes tightly and suddenly his parent’s faces flashed in his mind. It was the only memory he had, despite how gruesome it was, it was his.

 

Jinyoung’s breath began to slow down gradually, the more time that passed, the less Jinyoung could feel the pain and the better he could hear. No one was screaming anymore, Jinyoung could only hear the buzz of others chatting as they slowly left the room.

 

Suddenly, the single memory that Jinyoung held, flashed inside of him. His parent’s blood… it wasn’t the same colour as his. Why...

 

After a while of feeling completely helpless, Jinyoung made an effort to try and sit up. The arm in which they had stuck the syringe still ached horribly, but other than that, most of Jinyoung’s sense had calmed and all that was left was exhaustion.

 

Jinyoung glanced to his right, the bed that Mark had been lying in was empty, amidst the chaos, Jinyong assumed that he had gotten up and left.

 

That means he saw me in that vulnerable state. Just the thought made Jinyoung sick.

 

Taking it slow, Jinyoung slid his feet from the bed onto the cold lab floor and began to shuffle with the other boys out of the room. Jinyoung couldn’t see any of his group, so he walked alone behind several other boys. Some of the boys seemed perfectly fine, walking at a quick pace as though nothing had happened, others were struggling a lot more.

 

Just in front of him, a boy around his height who had been visibly struggling since he started walking, fell to one knee.

 

“Hey!” Jinyoung said aloud unconsciously as he quickly shuffled towards the boy. As he got to the boy’s side, he noticed his pale face and his wavering eyes. “Are you okay?” Jinyoung said, placing his unarmed hand on his shoulder.

 

The boy looked up at Jinyoung, a trace of fear flashing mysteriously in his eyes. He nodded slowly, “Yeah, I should be fine in a moment.”

 

Jinyoung helped pull the boy up to his feet, still slightly worried about the colour of the boy’s face. “Are you sure-”

 

What do you think you’re doing, Jinyoung?” The voice was deep and guarded, a clear emphasis on Jinyoung’s name. Before he could blink again, something swatted Jinyoung’s hand off of the boy’s shoulders. Jinyoung looked-  almost everything about the boy was dark. His hair, his eyes, his skin. He towered over Jinyoung and the boy.

 

“Sorry?” Jinyoung replied timidly, actually intimidated by the new boy’s aura. “How do you know my name?”

 

The boy glared at Jinyoung the same way Mark had looked at him, “Of course I would know, are you retarded?”

 

“Are you retarded?”

 

Jinyoung bit down on his lip to resist the bubbling of anger inside his stomach. Mark had said the exact same thing to him just hours ago.

 

“Let’s go, Youngjae,” The boy totally ignored Jinyoung, pulling the other boy’s arm over his own shoulder and walking away.

 

Youngjae? Thats… Jinyoung’s eyes opened widely, the boy was Youngjae. Then…

 

“Okay, Jaebum.”

 

Jinyoung blink blankly at the other dark haired boy, he’s Jaebum. Jinyoung’s fingers curled into a fist, Mark’s dogs.

 

“Jinyoung,” It was a voice that Jinyoung recognized. He turned to see the short Taehyung, his bandana slightly disheveled, hair clumping together slightly due to his sweat.

 

“Taehyung,” Jinyoung drew his gaze from Mark’s dogs to meet Taehyung’s eyes.

 

“Did Jaebum and Youngjae give you trouble?” Taehyung rubbed a strand of his hair with his fingers, “Those two don’t usually bother anyone though...”

 

Jinyoung shook his head, “They didn’t bother me, anyways, should we start heading back?” Jinyoung noticed that pretty much everyone had exited the room and that it was just the two of them.

 

Taehyung nodded and they began to walk to the exit, “Hey Taehyung, something’s been bothering me… why does my blood had blue and purple specks in it?”

 

Why am I different from my parents?

 

“What do you mean?” Jinyoung had gotten Taehyung’s full attention, “All of our blood has blue and purple specks in it, as far as I’m aware.”

 

“What?” Jinyoung felt a shiver go down his spine.

 

“Yeah, it’s always been that way. Why?” Taehyung raised an eyebrow.

 

Jinyoung blinked, everyone in this room had this colour blood? Then what was his memory? He was certain that his parent’s blood didn’t have specks… or was he imagining things?

 

“No, it’s nothing, nevermind,” Jinyoung dropped the subject immediately, avoiding Taehyung’s confused gaze. No one knew that he had any memories from before today, at this point, he didn’t feel safe enough to tell Taehyung and the others yet. “Let’s head back quickly.”


After arriving back their room, all eight of them had went to bed immediately, bodies exhausted and drained. Before long, there were sounds of snoring resonating throughout the small room and they were all asleep.

 

Jinyoung turned in his sleep, a nightmare in full action.

 

“Jinyoung, hurry and change, we need to get out of here as fast as possible!” Jinyoung looked around wildly, his parents scrambling across the rooms of their small house.

 

“Mom? What’s going on?” Jinyoung rubbed his eyes, he had just awoken from the middle of his sleep due to the loud sounds caused by his parents.

 

“Sweetie, put on your coat please!” Jinyoung’s mother ran up to him, a black jacket in her hands, her eyes wild with fear.

 

“Why?” Jinyoung felt fear wash over him as his mother forced the jacket onto him. “You’re scaring me…”

 

“Honey, we’ve got to go now!” Jinyoung’s mother called to Jinyoung’s father, grabbing Jinyoung by the arm and leading him to the doorway. Jinyoung, afraid and confused, could only keep quiet.

 

“I’ve got the gun!” Jinyoung’s father called, “Let’s go.”

 

“Sweetie,” Jinyoung’s mother knelt down and Jinyoung’s face tenderly, “if we ever get split up, you must find us again. You must find GOT7.”

 

“G-GOT7?” Jinyoung stammered, gradually becoming more and more scared the more he looked into his mother’s eyes.

 

“Yes sweetie,” His mother stood back up, pulling him over to the door way.

 

“Ready?” Jinyoung’s father held a gun ready in both hands, “Stay close.” His father reached for the doorknob of their home, leading to the outside. He opened the door.

 

Jinyoung’s eyes were met with a bunch of men crowding the doorways wearing all black, their faces covered with black masks. Jinyoung only blinked once before his vision became shrouded with red. He heard his mother’s screams, he felt the warm liquid on his hands and face.

 

He wasn’t sure if he didn’t want to see his parent’s faces or he couldn’t. He only saw one thing. The bright red liquid everywhere - his parent’s blood.


Jinyoung hadn’t been mistaken. His parent’s blood was just red. Everyone in this lab was different, they were different, Jinyoung just didn’t know how.