You and I

The Word that Only Us Both Can Understand
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first day Chaeyoung arrived at the orphanage she keep holding on pen and note, so whenever people asked her she just need to write down and let them read it.
The kids slowly lost interest in her since she couldn't talk, but Chaeyoung didn't really care about that. She already knew not many people can understand her situation. She's just 10 years old when her parents sent her to the orphanage. She knew they are ashamed of her. That's nothing new. She just accept everything and move on.

It's been a week since she's here, drawing alone in the corner when suddenly someone step on her drawing book, so she look up and glare at the girl in front of her.

"I'm sorry, i didn't see you. My vision is a bit blurry"

The girl keep moving her hands to touch Chaeyoung as she kneel down.

"I'm Myoui Mina"

Mina show her gummy smile at Chaeyoung, but Chaeyoung is always expresionless so she just ignore her and continue her drawing again. Mina move her hand to touch Chaeyoung's face as she lean closer to see her.

"You're cute, what is your name?"

Chaeyoung just write her name on her note and give it to Mina. Mina hold the note and look at it closely, her eyes even almost touch the note.

"Chae...young...oh, nice name. Why are you not talking to me instead of writing it all on the note?"

Chaeyoung take the note again and write her reason, Mina read it slow while Chaeyoung keep looking at Mina as she frown.

"Oh....wait, even if you're mute we still can talk right? Maybe something, like using the sign we both can understand? No?"

Chaeyoung sigh, Mina really annoyed her with all the question she had but she just doesn't want to fight.

Mina put her hand on Chaeyoung's cheek, to see if Chaeyoung respond her question or not since her vision really get bad. Mina sense Chaeyoung mood when she hear the sigh, she put her hand away and look down feeling sad.

"....okay, i won't disturb you. Have a nice day, Chaeyoung"

Mina is about to stand up when Chaeyoung hold her arm, Chaeyoung put Mina's palm on her lips while mouthing 'stay'. Mina smile wide and sit back again since she finally can get a new friend.

Chaeyoung draw again while Mina lay down on her stomach trying hard to see what Chaeyoung's draw.

"Is that a cow?"

Mina only see the color and make wild guess, Chaeyoung feel upset when Mina guess is wrong so she pinch her cheek.

"Ouch, did i guess it wrong?"

Chaeyoung put Mina's palm on her lips again as she mouth 'snow leopard'. Mina just nods though she doesn't know what snow leopard is.

****

Chaeyoung and Mina go anywhere together, though Chaeyoung is younger than her by two years she's the one who lead Mina all the time. She will protect her whenever the other kids trying to tease Mina because of her vision, she even fight with a boy who is a lot older than her because he keep making Mina do something to amuse him.

"Chaengie, i'm sleepy"

Mina rest her head on Chaeyoung's shoulder, Mina is sitting behind her and back hug her as she keep yawning. Chaeyoung stop her drawing and pat Mina's head gently, let Mina to sleep on her. She continue her drawing and grins when she hear a soft snore near her ear.

Chaeyoung finish her drawing and put Mina and her name on it. Chaeyoung look up when a couple stand in front of her with the owner of the orphanage.

"That girl look so adorable, the one that sleeping? What is her name?"

"Mina, Myoui Mina"

Chaeyoung glare at them since she can sense they are going to take Mina away from her.

" ...but Mina is having problem with her vision"

"Ah, what about this girl?"

The woman point at Chaeyoung who keep frowning.

"Chaeyoung, her name is Son Chaeyoung. She is....mute"

"Omo, poor them"

The woman suddenly whisper at the owner and the three of them leave Chaeyoung and Mina alone. Mina awake soon after, she rubs her eyes and snuggle more on Chaeyoung's back.

"Are you done with your drawing?"

Chaeyoung just nods weakly and stand up. Mina reach for Chaeyoung's hand and hold it as she stand up too. They walk together to their room.

"You seem in a bad mood right now, why? What happen?"

Mina sit beside her on Chaeyoung's bed, she hold her cheek and Chaeyoung just shakes her head. Mina put her palm on Chaeyoung's lips, to read what's Chaeyoung going to say but she say nothing.

"You're not going to say anything? I thought we're friend"

Mina say sadly as she look down, she hold her skirt tight as she's going to cry.

"...na..."

Mina turn around when she hear a faint sound, she look so surprised but also glad.

"Did you just call me, Chaeyoungie?"

"....mi......na..."

"You called me, you really call my name. Yay!"

Mina hug her tight as she feel excited to hear Chaeyoung's faint sound. Chaeyoung hug her back, she feel upset to herself for being too attached to Mina to the point she will do anything just to not make her friend crying.

****

Chaeyoung hold Mina's hand, they both are looking for a small house for rent. Chaeyoung get a job and she's no longer need to stay on the orphanage and she take Mina with her.

"We are going to live in this rooftop house, right Chaeyoung?"

Chaeyoung nods and the owner of the rooftop house shake their both hands before she leave after she give them the key.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter