Invisible

Invisible
Please log in to read the full chapter

Nichkhun passes by the dance room before heading home, just like yesterday, and all other days since seeing her.

 

He enters the door, and before approaching the lockers, he stands by another door leading to the mirrored room, taking a look at the graceful girl dancing inside.

 

She’s alone. A slow song plays and she starts to dance. Her movements are so full of emotion that he couldn't find the strength to look away. He’s seen her perform in school. And no matter how many dancers perform the same dance, nobody else can take his breath away like she does.

 

The song finishes and she goes to the music player to change the song. Before she could see him, he moves away from the door and almost bumps the piano. He stands tall and starts walking towards the lockers.

 

He’s been leaving something different everyday – a glittery star sticker, a purple pen, a pack of chocolates. They are all random gifts, as Taecyeon calls it, but Nichkhun makes sure these are things Victoria might like.

 

Today, it’s a cup of caramel macchiato, which he places by the piano. She seemed quite irritable this day, and Sulli confirmed it. He rushed to the nearest coffee shop after class to get her favorite coffee order, which was not available this morning.

 

Like always, he left a red note with only “Victoria” written on it.

 

“Not even a cheesy pick-up line?” He remembers Taecyeon laughing and shaking his head, mocking him.

 

---

 

He is a coward. He thinks this as he walks out of his classroom in a rush and almost bumps into a group of girls passing by the hallways. He steps back to give way and was in for a surprise when Victoria passes by. She walks past and doesn’t even look back.

 

---

 

She sees her smile towards him. He demonstrates some martial arts moves, showing off his arm muscles. He sees her eyes shine while watching him.

 

Nichkhun hopes that maybe he could impress her, too. Maybe he could be good enough for her. But his insecurities are stronger than his hope and so he just walks away.

 

---

 

“Khun.”

 

“Khun!”

 

“Wha--?” Nichkhun turns to Taecyeon. He didn’t notice him sit down because he had his eyes on something – no, someone – else.

 

“Dude, you’re spacing out,” his friend says while cocking his eyebrows at him.

 

“Sorry. Anyway, what were you saying?” he asks, but when his friend doesn’t answer, he looks at him.

 

Taecyeon laughs. “You’re not even looking at me. You’ve been staring at her since I sat down. I won’t be surprised if she suddenly melts.”

 

Nichkhun looks down shy from being caught. “I’m not staring at her… O-okay, maybe I am. But, just look at all the boys following her. Even girls confess to her. How do I even stand a chance?”

 

Taecyeon just looks at him as if none of what he said made any sense. “Just confess to her. You’ll never know if you have a chance unless you try. If you do, maybe we can have a double date with Yoona.”

 

“I haven’t even confessed yet and now you’re planning a double da– wait! – with Yoona? You have a date with THE Yoona?”

 

“Yes! Because unlike you, I had the courage to ask my crush out. Aish, you really weren’t paying attention. That was the first thing I said when I sat down.” He’s shaking his head until he returns to eating his lunch. Nichkhun takes a bite of his food and takes another glance at Victoria.

 

---

 

When he finally has the courage to confess, he walks out of his classroom to rush to the dance studio. Before he even turns to the corner, he sees her by the staircase.

 

She’s smiling, the grin showing off her white teeth. He’s smiling coy, leaning by the wall and staring at her. Their hands are interlaced together.

 

He feels his heart throb from pain, from jealousy. He runs away, throwing the heart-shaped box of chocolates in the nearest trash bin.

 

---

 

Please log in to read the full chapter