Jeonghan's Back

Not Anymore

Joshua heaved a deep sigh of disappointment, reading through one of his favourite books as he tried his best not to look out of the window to see if his boyfriend was coming. He had been waiting here for almost twenty minutes and if he didn’t see that boy in five minutes, he was going to leave the café and go back to the dorm. He could have been grabbing an extra hour of sleep but he was here, giving in to his boyfriend's pleas of getting breakfast together. 

“Joshua!”

“About time…”

Mingyu pouted, dropping his things on the chair beside his own. He didn’t mean to be late, especially since he had a lab experiment a while ago. He was caught by the teacher for making a mistake half-way, and was forced to stay back even longer to make sure the expected results came out. Mingyu sat down and ordered himself a cappuccino. 

“How long have you been here, babe?” Mingyu asked, resting his chin on his palms as he stared at his boyfriend. He stirred the cappuccino and sipped it, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be late.”

A smile appeared on Joshua’s face; there was no way for him to remain angry when Mingyu had this adorable look on his face. He knew Mingyu didn’t mean to be late, considering that this happened very rarely. Joshua put down his book and reached over, wiping the side of Mingyu’s stained lips before the residue off his finger. He chuckled when he saw Mingyu's jaw drop a little; such actions could make Mingyu blush ever-so-cutely. 

Mingyu blushed a little and looked down, “Yah…”

Joshua reached over once more, caressing Mingyu’s cheek this time – he brought him so much happiness all the time. He couldn’t help but admire Mingyu more; Mingyu was tall, handsome and had a heart of gold – Joshua couldn’t see how he deserved him, but Mingyu assured him all the time. Mingyu knew just how vulnerable Joshua was, especially after his ex-boyfriend had left him for someone else.

Mingyu hated it.

Mingyu hated the thought of Joshua’s ex-boyfriend leaving an angel for another boy. He didn’t like the fact that Joshua was left heartbroken and vulnerable, completely blaming himself for the break-up. Yet on the other hand, Mingyu couldn’t completely hate Joshua’s ex-boyfriend. If the latter didn’t leave Joshua in the first place, Mingyu wouldn’t have had a chance to be with the gentleman.

“Gyu?”

“Huh?”

“What are you thinking about?” Joshua rested his cheek against his left palm and tilted his head cutely, “you didn’t hear anything I said, did you?”

Shaking his head guiltily, Mingyu flashed a sheepish smile at the older and took another sip of his drink. Mingyu wasn't afraid to be honest though; their relationship was built and focused on trust for the most part. Joshua revealed everything that happened between him and his ex-boyfriend after much coaxing, and Mingyu didn't tell Joshua this but... all signs pointed to his ex-boyfriend having an affair. 

Mingyu knew what was going on behind Joshua's back, because his parents were involved in such a twisted relationship before. 

“Josh?”

“Mmm?”

Watching his boyfriend enjoy his pancakes so heartily, Mingyu was a little bit apprehensive as to whether he should ask Joshua the question he was dying to have an answer to. Joshua was weak at heart, and Mingyu had repaired it all during their time together - Joshua had depended heavily on him back then. Clearly, their relationship had become quite successful in overcoming their initial barriers.

“Do you miss him?”

Joshua stopped chewing and his eyes flicked upwards to look into Mingyu’s; his fork and knife still once their eyes remained in contact. Mingyu knew that the question was not well-liked by Joshua, because the American told him every now and then not to compare himself with the ex-boyfriend. Joshua had never asked for anything but for Mingyu to stop thinking about the past; it seems as if it's too difficult.

Putting down his fork, Joshua scoffed, “why do you have to remind me of him?”

Mingyu knew he had pissed Joshua off and he grabbed hold of the elder’s hand before he could exit the cozy booth. “Baby, I’m sorry… please don’t leave.”

Joshua clamped down his lower lip and remembered they were in public; it was best not to make a scene. He sat back down but retracted his hand from Mingyu’s grasp. He could understand the part where Mingyu was insecure, but he couldn’t get the reason behind Mingyu’s constant comparison and questions. It was enough to have him around, no one needed to remember an ex-boyfriend who was no longer in their lives.

Knowing that it was safer for him to stay silent for now, Mingyu kept quiet and looked out of the window, berating himself for asking stupid questions and ruining a perfectly good date. Joshua gave up his beauty sleep to meet him for breakfast, and Mingyu wasted a wonderful day.

“Jisoo?”

“Jeonghan?”

Mingyu looked up and his expression faltered instantly; this person was all too familiar and he vowed to never let this man get near his boyfriend ever again. He stood up, ready to get his hands on that idiot when Joshua turned around with a jaw-dropped expression; it was a lost case. Joshua looked as if he was... awe-struck? Or perhaps, simply shocked by the re-appearance of his ex-boyfriend but it was too much. 

Too much for him to take.

 

*

*

*

 

The next few days were like lukewarm hell for Mingyu; Joshua hadn’t come by his room, neither was he seen in class like he always made sure to attend. Mingyu didn’t know whether it was a good thing that Joshua was okay to spend so much time with his ex-boyfriend, because wouldn’t that mean they were good being friends? Or was it a bad thing because Joshua missed him? These questions were driving Mingyu nuts, and he couldn’t bear to think anymore.

It was a torture to even leave his dorm, knowing that he wouldn’t be seeing his boyfriend any time soon.

“Gyu, aren’t you going for class?”

“Not today, Wonwoo… I don’t feel like it.”

Wonwoo frowned, placing his hands on his hips in disappointment. He hadn’t seen this side of his best friend before, but Mingyu didn’t show vulnerability so easily – so for him to be moping around, something bad must have happened. Furthermore, Mingyu didn’t like to skip classes because the last time he was found out, his dad gave him a good beating. 

The only reason Wonwoo knew of Mr Kim's harsh punishments was because of the injuries on Mingyu's face and limbs. If they were in places that Mingyu could hide, Wonwoo wouldn't have found out about it at all.

“You can’t skip class,” Wonwoo sat down on Mingyu’s bed and ruffled his friend’s hair gently, “I don’t want a repeat of what happened to you the last time.”

Burying his face into the covers, Mingyu tried to block out whatever Wonwoo was saying although it was for his own good. He didn’t want to be beaten up either, but the pain in his chest was not going to decrease if he went to class. The heartbreak was evident in every manner, and Wonwoo knew it – he was all for the relationship at first but he wasn’t so sure now.

Joshua had assured him that he would love Mingyu as much as possible, and he did. He was probably shocked by Jeonghan’s return, and no one actually knew where Joshua was. He might not even be with Jeonghan in the first place; it was merely an assumption. The only thing that couldn't be denied was the lack of contact between Joshua and Mingyu, and the fault here was still not clear. 

“Mingyu.”

“Won, please…”

 

Fine.

 

*

 

“Jisoo… come with me.”

“To where?”

No, he shouldn’t have even asked that question.

Joshua shouldn’t even have asked where Jeonghan wanted to bring him; it was not right. He couldn't be asking Jeonghan anything when he couldn't even bring himself to contact his boyfriend. Joshua didn't know why either, but he found it so difficult to click on Mingyu's contact and simply call the latter - it was so difficult. The irony here... Joshua was fine with hanging out with an ex-boyfriend but he was hesitant about finding his current boyfriend.

It wasn't making sense at all. 

“Just come with me,” Jeonghan pleaded softly with his hand holding onto Joshua’s, “I promise I won’t let you down anymore…”

“Once is enough, don’t you think?”

Both Jeonghan and Joshua turned around, only to find Wonwoo walking towards them as if he was about to beat the living daylights on out of them. Jeonghan backed off from Joshua's side and cocked an eyebrow; Joshua had a boyfriend but it was most certainly not this one. He hadn't met Joshua's current boyfriend formally, except for the day at the cafe where they met by complete coincidence.

“You cheated on Josh once… I don’t think he needs to be hurt by you again.” 

Wonwoo was oblivious to the anger from Jeonghan, and he couldn't care less. His best friend's relationship was already at risk here, and all he wanted to do was help Mingyu get back the love of his life. Honestly, Joshua should be the one who needs to win Mingyu back because it was very obvious as to who was at a bigger fault here - mingling with an ex-boyfriend alone was not a good thing for any relationship, whether weak or strong.

Turning around with a glare that could kill, Wonwoo glared at Joshua, and you have a boyfriend to get to.”

It was a wake-up call, and Joshua froze when he heard Wonwoo's words. He didn't know if there was something wrong according to Wonwoo's tone of voice... Wonwoo never used such a tone to talk to him before. It also alerted Joshua to another option in mind; what if something happened to Mingyu and that was why Wonwoo was being so hostile?

Joshua didn't even realise Jeonghan leaving, his thoughts were so overwhelming and he was starting to have lots of absurd thoughts. He realised that he knew nothing about Mingyu's whereabouts or activities for the past week or so, and that was not a good boyfriend. A good boyfriend was supposed to know what was happening, and why in the world their relationship was so distant at this moment.

“Hong Jisoo!”

“W-What?”

Wonwoo grabbed Joshua by the shoulders, shaking the older violently, “do you know what Mingyu is up to? Do you know how heartbroken he is because of you?! He doesn’t even want to go to class now!” Wonwoo was delirious, and he was angry with Joshua for being so stupid; stupid to the point where he was spending more time with his ex-boyfriend than his current boyfriend. 

Mingyu? Heartbroken? 

Joshua finally snapped back to his senses and he stopped Wonwoo from shaking him; he was finally awake.

“What happened to Gyu? What happened?”

“Go figure.”

Wonwoo was not going to let Joshua have the easy way out this time; Joshua had enough chances and Mingyu was heartbroken enough. If Joshua wanted to know what his boyfriend was doing, then he would go and find out himself.

 

Knock, knock.

Was Wonwoo home from class already?

Only an hour had passed though, Mingyu thought. Wonwoo had loads of lessons on Thursday, and there was no way he would come back to the dorm so early. He reluctantly shuffled his feet to the door with his covers wrapped around his body; it was so horrible to be below tip-top condition. Being healthy was something Mingyu was used to, not heartbreaking pain like this.

When he flung the door open, he instantly knew why there was such an uncomfortable feeling in his gut.

“What are you doing here?”

Mingyu missed Joshua so much, and he wanted to kiss the older so bad but he couldn’t. He didn’t like the fact that Joshua could disappear for a week without any contact whatsoever and come back to him as if nothing had happened. He didn't deserve to be hurt, and Mingyu understood that fairly well. Joshua made a mistake this time, not him.

“I… I…” Joshua was shocked at how cold Mingyu sounded and he stumbled over his words for a bit, “I heard you were not well… so I came over to check on you.”

Scoffing at the irony of it all, Mingyu turned around and left Joshua standing in front of the room door. He didn’t want to face his boyfriend like that because it would only be tempting for him to give in; it really didn’t help that Joshua had this innocent expression on his face all this while. Joshua sighed, shaking his head to himself as he could understand why Mingyu was so hurt.

“Gyu… baby….”

Mingyu sat on his bed tiredly and faced Joshua with a blank look, waiting for Joshua to say his piece. “You have class to go to, so make this quick.” Mingyu said, trying hard to ignore the look of a kicked puppy on Joshua’s face. Then again, he was doing this for Joshua and not himself. Falling to his knees in front of the bed, Joshua grabbed Mingyu’s two hands and looked up to him.

“Gyu, I’m sorry… I’m sorry, baby… I-I was just s-shocked that he w-was back.” Joshua whispered, “I d-didn’t know how t-to face y-you…”

Mingyu was silent the whole entire time; why would Joshua not know how to face him unless he had a sense of doubt in the first place? He didn’t know how to think about their relationship now; Joshua wasn’t even ready to move on from Jeonghan. If seeing Jeonghan once was enough to distance him, then wouldn’t it happen another time? Joshua was so unsure of himself, and it was not doing anything to help Mingyu himself.

Taking both of Joshua’s hands into his own, Mingyu helped the older to stand but let go when Joshua was on his own two feet. He took a step back and shook his head; honesty mattered more than anything right now. Joshua had been honest with not being able to face him, but it was his turn to be honest for Joshua.

“I’m sorry, I think I need some time to re-think this relationship.”

 

 


looks like it's gonna be a two shot instead 🤗

 

❤️️ please comment & vote below ❤️️ 

 

1. My Son

Yuri has raised his son, Yoong for almost 5 years alone because Jessica left him the moment she gave birth. He is now handling Yoong all alone and it's going well for them; with the help of friends, Yoona, Taeyeon and Hyoyeon. Yoong is five years old and he's closer to Yoona (Yuri's best friend) than anyone else since she's a mother figure in his eyes.

Now that Jessica is back, will Yuri ever be able to make a choice between his son's mother and his best friend? 

 

2. Relieving a Marriage

Yuri and Yoona are on the verge of divorcing due to an accident which had scarred them for years; they're well on their way to it when Yuri gets into a car accident along with his grandmother in the same car. Yoona has the chance to either relieve a marriage and make Yuri fall in love with her again, or she can choose to go on with the divorce.

Will she get over the accident and learn to put the terribly past behind her, or will she leave Yuri once he's recovered? 

 

3. My Stupid Investigator

Jessica Jung is a married woman with a drifting husband; although she's doing fine in both the relationship as well as work, Tiffany suggests having an investigator because of Donghae's suspicious behaviours. When Jessica finally meets Kwon Yuri, she cannot help but be intrigued by the young investigator. Yuri's very much amused by the older woman but the fact that she's married keeps her at bay...

Will Yuri be able to prove to Jessica that her husband is not the correct one for her, or will Jessica choose to stay silent about her blooming feelings? 

 

4. One Crazy Fangirl

Jessica Jung is one of the most popular idols in South Korea and although she has a huge fanbase, she also has a huge anti-fanbase here. She's cocky, mean, arrogant and all you can think of but when she meets a certain fangirl of hers; Jessica's life is effortlessly turned upside down. As to the fangirl... there was clearly no stopping her.

Will Jessica ever look past the crazy exterior and learn to care for her crazed fangirl or will she stay away from her fangirl forever?