Chapter 8

Something to Love

 

Yeri’s ears perked up when she heard the front door opened. She got up from the couch immediately and welcome her sister with full of intrusive.

“How was Wendy?” she said with much eagerness.

“Fine.” Irene said indifferently. She kicked off her shoe in a discarding manner and pushed them to the side.

Irene spent four hours outside, there’s obviously more than just ‘fine’. Yeri had to probe for more.

“Yeah right. You’re so in love with her.”

“Go away brat.”

“You know I’m right. I’m always right.”

“Why are you always nosy in these things?” Irene attempted to shove Yeri away, but she skillfully dodged it.

“I just want to know who’s my future sister in law would be.” Actually Yeri didn’t want to sound too sure that they were going to date straight away, but least she had acknowledged that Irene had some interest in Wendy.

Normally, Yeri would be speculating what kind of person her sister was seeing. Whether the person of interest was not some sort of opportunist leeching type or a pain in the . If this was Wendy, then she already set her approval long ago. Not like Irene needed her approval anyways, but it’s always safer with a third eye.

Irene ignore all of Yeri’s provokes and set her purse down on the table. “I’m surprise you’re spending a Friday night at home. Ditched everyone?”

“It rained earlier. We canceled.”

“Too bad. Want to watch a movie?”

Okay now Yeri was eyeing Irene with suspicious. On regular days, she had seen Irene came home with fatigue appearing over her body trudging straight to her room. Thus, never in the mood to do anything that spelled fun. The newly found energy came out of nowhere, but she wasn’t the type to say no to movies.

“Okay! I’ll make popcorn.”

 

---

 

A dreadful Monday came and Wendy went to work a little happier than the norm. Then again, she’s school’s valedictorian so it wasn’t odd for a particular nerd to like things relating to work or studying. But that wasn’t the reason for her chirpiness. Hesitant to admit it, but it’s probably idea of seeing her crush.

“You’re not seeing anyone are you?” Irene asked.

“No”

Irene let out small smirk. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

She recalled their last dinner multiple times and it never failed to make her eager.

Wendy threw the thought at the back of her head as she walked down the hallway full of paranoia, trying to sense any changes in the office for any new gossips, weird stares or incoming coworkers approaching her. But nothing. Everyone was pleasantly quiet by their desk.

Good no more rumours.

She did receive a dramatic welcoming from the girls. They congratulated her out of the blue and softly applauding her. Yeri had the privilege of announcing her discovery on their group chat, which caused an uproar of messages all day. Although she was fine by it since she trusted them to keep it a secret.

As a routine, she went to get coffee for herself and stumbled into Jackson on the way.

Actually she lied, there was still that one rumour surrounding her.

“Hey Jackson.”

“Hey wifey.”

Jackson had been a little troll and told everyone that Wendy was his future wife. Since Wendy had been keeping silence about the scandal, everyone just assumed it was true.

For some odd reason, Jackson also had a bright look on his face and that was very unusual from someone who despise Monday.

“You look like you have good news.”

“Oh you can tell? As expected from my future wife.”

“Oh my god. Stop that. I got so many dirty looks from so many girls already.”

“Just say that we’re in an open relationship.”

“No way.”

“Well it’s too late now, but that’s okay. Oppa will protect you.” Jackson patted her head.

“Never mind that. Why are you so happy?”

“Oh! I won a thousand dollars from a radio show. They were doing a lottery draw and my name got selected for the prize.”

 “That’s great! Congratulation!”

Because Wendy was in a good mood, she literately jumped into his arms attempting to squeeze the life out of him with her small arms. The enthusiasm only lasted a few seconds until Jackson started warning her in a low whisper.

“Boss is coming. Abort. Abort. Abort!”

There was nothing natural how they broke off the hug. Wendy jumped back too far and Jackson was failing to look normal.

She turned her head to the left and indeed, Irene was approaching them. Instead of being happy at the sight of her crush, she had an unpleasant feeling in her guts. Irene had this habit of catching Wendy off guard and she wasn’t sure if it was all unintentional.

Irene stopped in front of them. “What’s the good news?”

Both Jackson and Wendy were anxious at the sudden question and swiftly glanced at each other.

“I won a prize from a radio talk show.” said Jackson dutifully.

“Congratulation. What did you win?” For some reason, Wendy sensed nothing genuine in Irene’s voice while her expression remained neutral, almost aloof.

“Some money.” The usual playfulness in Jackson was gone as his voice receded as well as his confidence giving away how nervous he became, convinced that he was in trouble. She didn’t blame him since it seemed strange why Irene would want to have a trivial conversation with him. It was their first time speaking to each other.

“Sounds like you had a good weekend.”

“Yes I did.”

Irene gave Wendy a cold side look and it was her turn to be frightened, although a different reason from Jackson’s.

“How was yours?” Irene said intimidatingly which Wendy could only wimped obediently.

“It was good -ACK”

Wendy yelped in surprised at the sudden impact from behind which caused her to stumble forward. Unfortunately for her, she was standing in the path of the doorway and someone had swung it open hitting Wendy in the process as they continued their destination unaware.

After composing herself, she finally realized that a pair of hands held her waist and she was in Jackson’s embrace once again.

Oh no.

Instantly panicking, she pushed Jackson’s hands away and took two steps back.

“Are you okay?” Jackson had a worried look.

“I’m fine. Thanks.”

Wendy turned to look at Irene with much uneasiness and she had the most unreadable expression. Judging from what just happened, she assumed it wasn’t good.

“You two are cute.” Irene remarked sardonically. Then Irene walked passed Wendy and she felt an intense pessimistic aura that made her nerves chilled. Everything in her body foreboded her that she made a mistake she’d soon regret.

Innocent but not so innocent Jackson received a blistering gaze and a silent angry accusation from Wendy.

Look what you did.

 

---

 

The whole day Wendy had been sulking over her crush. The urge to go straight to Irene to tell her it was all a misunderstanding was immense, but she was a coward and chose to sit in her misery despite how good the weather was today.

The girls occupied the table outside of the café enjoying the breeze with a refreshing drink after work hours. Joy had mentioned the day would go to waste without doing anything so all four of them agreed.

“My air conditioner broke last night. It was so hot that I had to take two cold showers in the middle of the night.” Seulgi whined and slumped onto the table.

“Why don’t you just crash Joy’s place while you get it fixed.” Yeri the ice cream on her spoon.

“No you should crash at Yeri’s, I bet she got plenty of guest room for you.” Joy remarked.

“That’s so weird, I’m not sleeping at our boss’s palace.”

“It’s not a palace, stop exaggerating.” Yeri defended.

“Yes it is. I can fit three generations of my family in there.”

“Or we can play hide and seek there.” Seulgi innocently said.

“Well I know someone wouldn’t mind coming.” They all looked at Wendy, but for some reason Wendy wasn’t paying attention. Seulgi poked her arm.

“What’s wrong?”

Wendy looked up from her drink. “Nothing…”

“Why don’t you just ask Miss Bae to be your girlfriend and bam. You got nothing else to worry, my friend.”

“I wish everything can sound as easy as that.”

“It can. You’re just wussing around.”

“So what’s the problem? You like her and she likes you.” Seulgi calmly inquired.

It was probably the insecurity attached to her inexperience with romance that lingered the uncertainty inside. “I…I don’t really have the courage.”

“Well then too bad, you two just have to wait until someone asks each other.” said Yeri without remorse.

 “It’s like watching a boring tragic drama about nothing.” Joy added in a dramatic narrative voice. “The title would be, ‘Something Almost Happens’ featuring Son Wendy, the girl who never leaves her room.”

Yeri mimicked Joy’s voice. “Also featuring Bae Irene, another girl who never leaves her room.” The girls laughed except for Wendy, not pleased that they were poking fun at her.

“Omo… that’s a tragic.” Seulgi said after calming down from her laughs.

Wendy snickered and took a long sip of her vanilla latte. She knew that they were right about her wimping around. Still, that wasn’t enough to motivate her to make the first move.

Until she notice a familiar tall handsome stranger walking down the streets.

“Bogum oppa!” Yeri shouted at the person to get his attention.

Bogum lifted his head up and waved at Yeri and continued walking the other direction. Wendy’s eyes followed him until he was out of sight.

Park Bogum, as she recalled his name. He was the one who gave flowers to Irene from weeks ago. Recalling the memory instantly alarmed her. Did anything happen after she delivered the flowers? Numerous of questions flooded her mind as she frown with much trepidation. With an attractive guy like that, she couldn’t imagine the other countless people who tried to court Irene. Not liking her own conjecture one bit, another trouble formed in her head.

Despite how Bogum and Irene probably visually look good together, she could feel the pure fury building up. What if this guy snatched her chance and became an item with Irene? Then what? Wendy would be a sore loser, all because she was too scared to approach her.

 She didn’t know what relation he had with Irene or Yeri, but it finally fuelled her.

Refusing the prospect of regrets, for once she was encouraged to do something for her crush. Even if she did get rejected, at least she would be content in knowing that she tried.

 

---

 

Wendy wasn’t sure if she should start texting Irene or meet her. What was she supposed to say anyways? It would be completely out of the blue if she just confessed, at least that’s what she thought. It was never hard for her to make friends, but to go beyond that was like a riddle that mocked her.

Fortunately, there were many open opportunities whether Wendy wanted to seize them or not.

So she found herself in Irene’s office once again. Wendy nervously placed a box full of nine neatly decorated cupcakes she’d spent hours on perfecting the icing patterns to look extra presentable on Irene’s desk. It took her a whole lot of patience and focus to steady her hands. So whatever outcome it may be, whether Irene rejected the cupcakes or not, at least she obtained a skill for culinary arts.

The moment she laid the box down, her legs were itching to run out, but she exhaled a shaky breath to still herself.

It was worth it because Irene’s eyes glimmered at the box as her lips opened in astonish. She waited a few seconds before Irene raised her head to look at her.

“This is beautiful. Did you do this?”

Wendy nodded humbly, satisfied with the reaction. Irene’s voice was different compare to her regular distant tone, it was much more endearing.

“Thank you. They’re so cute, it looks delicious.”

Wendy proudly smiled as she was lost in her own world staring at Irene’s beauty while she was distracted by the gift.

Irene broke her out of her trance. “So why did you bake me these?”

Oh snap, taken aback at the question. Now she had to come up with an explanation? She should’ve left when she had a chance.

 In all truth, she gave them to Irene with hopes of sending a discreet message that she only had eyes on her. But hell she wasn’t going to verbally say it.

It was very tempting to lie, but that would really defeat the purpose of forcing up her courage and the amount of effort brought into baking the cupcakes.

“I want to know your opinion.” Wendy half-truthfully said.

Irene let out a sweet smile and carefully peeled off the box’s lid.

“Have some with me.”

“No it’s okay, they’re for you.”

“Please Wendy, it’s weird for me if you just watch.”

“Okay.” She said in defeated. She actually ate a ton of the test batch last night, let alone if her stomach could handle another one, but for Irene she persevered.

Irene carefully picked one of the rose shape icing cupcakes and split it in half, handing Wendy the other. Both of them took a bite out of it and Irene her lips.

“I love it. It’s really good.”

Irene stood up from her seat and approach closer to Wendy as she anticipated her next move.

Irene lifted her fingers to remove the strains of hair from her cheeks and brushed it back behind her ears. She shivered when Irene’s fingers touched the tip of her ears, making them flush red.

“Don’t eat your hair.” Irene giggled.

“Thank you.”

They stood in a comforting silence, but after five seconds, it grew awkward between them. They knew there were matters to be addressed, but none of them brought it up. It felt like they were both avoiding the reality and neither one was brave enough to walk straight to the problem. Realizing the gravity of the situation, Wendy took it as a cue to swallow the rest of the cupcake and began leaving. However, Irene stopped her.

“Wendy.”

Wendy had her hand on the doorknob and turned around. “Yes?”

Irene sent her a menacing look and spoke two words with absolute authority and command.

“Text me!”

 

---

 

The few following days Wendy didn’t have much of a chance to see Irene. She could pay a visit in her office, but the secretary was getting suspicious so she refrained from doing so. They started texting little by little. It was a simple exchange of ‘how are you’ and she felt like she just won the championship cup for their country.

It was on a Friday when Wendy coincidently met Irene in front of the building on her arrival to work. They both greeted each other with a smile and approached the elevator.

 “Good morning Miss Bae.” Wendy noticed that Irene was alone today.

“Fancy seeing you.”

 “Where’s Yeri?”

“Took a day off. She got sick.”

“That’s unfortunate.”

 “Yeah so I think you might have to substitute over Yeri for today. I think her team made an instant change to the reports and they want to talk about it.”

 “I thought Krystal and Luna are part of the official meeting group.”

“Yeah, they’re still there. Let’s just say it’s better with more heads.”

“Okay.” Wendy agreed. They stepped inside the elevator when it opened. After the doors closed, she felt a poke at her side causing her to turn to Irene.

“So what are you doing after work?” Wendy smiled knowing the direction of the conversation was heading. It reminded her of the first time Irene asked her for dinner.

“The usual. What about you?”

“I found a famous rice cake place a block away. Want to give it a try with me?”

“Really? I’ll always say yes to rice cake.”

“Great. Come to my office afterwards. I’ll wait for you.” Wendy would’ve easily mistaken the nonchalant tone as friendly, but she knew it was a date. Irene was doing it in her own chic ways.

The elevator stopped on Wendy’s floor and she turned to look at Irene one last time before exiting.

“I’ll see you soon.”

 

They ended up in a restaurant after work. The place was crowded and she believed it when she said it was famous, hence they barely got a table for themselves. They were directed to a spot under the lit place with the setting similar to being authentic. They sat on top of the cushion between the floor and the table was tall enough to fold their legs underneath.

“How is it?” Irene asked before popping another rice cake in .

“It’s delicious.” To be honest, the rice cake was a spicier than her tolerance, nonetheless it was good. Her face must’ve given it away as Irene picked up a pickle radish with her chopstick and held it in front of her.

“Here”

Wendy leaned in and grabbed the radish with her teeth. She chewed on it and it slightly helped cool down her burning tongue.

“Don’t melt Olaf.” Irene lightly teased with her eyes glimmering.

Wendy paused her chewing and had to retrace back when she expose her nickname, it must’ve been back when she was slightly intoxicated. But whatever, Irene sounded cute with it.

“Did you finish all of the cupcakes?”

“Yea, but Yeri did. I tried to hide it from her, but she found out and snatched some.”

“I’m not surprised. I hope that’s not the reason she got sick.”

“No. That brat was out late so she probably caught a cold or something.” The relief washed over Wendy.

“The cupcakes were so good that I’m wondering if you could bake something else.” Irene tapped the chopstick on her lips curiously.

“What do you like?”

“Carrot cakes.”

“Hmm. I can bake them, but that’s going to cost you.”

There was a gleam in Irene’s eyes. “Oh? What would you like?”

Wendy face grew all red. Not sure if it’s the spiciness or how Irene sounded too suggestive. Everything about Irene, her smirks, eyes and the chopstick that was still in was seductive. She wanted to splash the ice water from her cup to her own face.

Not having an appropriate response, she stuff more rice cake in and mumbled. “Nothing…”

A few minutes later, Wendy couldn’t feel her right leg anymore. After sitting with her legs crossed for a while cut her blood circulation.

“Hold on, my legs are numbing up.” Wendy pulled her legs out from the table and lay it straight out to the side to stretch them.

“Want me to massage them for you?”

Wendy had a brief vision of Irene kneading her legs with her hands and she blushed at the image before mentally shaking it away. Gosh, what’s wrong with her tonight?

“No. I’m okay.”

When she adjusted back to her seat, the side of her knee accidently hit the edge of the table causing a loud bang.

“Omo!” Irene jumped at the noise.

“Aaah, that hurts.” Wendy winced and clutched her knee where the stinging pain lingered. She folded her body with her knees close to her chest.

“Are you okay?”

Irene stood up and went over the other side to check on Wendy’s leg. Irene’s fingers lightly rub her knee trying to soothe out the pain. Wendy’s heart beat erratically at the tenderness and especially the proximity they were in.

“Thank you, I’m okay now.” She squeaked.

The worried look disappeared on Irene’s face while she pulled her hand away and returned to her spot.

An hour later, they managed to finish most of the generous portion of their meal. Thus, feeling satisfied in their stomach and each other’s presence.

Wendy pulled out her wallet. “I’ll pay this time.”

“No you’re not.” Irene looked almost offended.

“I can’t always be getting free meals from you.”

“It’s fine. I’ll pay.” Irene snatched the paper bill on the table.

“No. Give me the bill.” Wendy reached out attempting to take a hold of the paper.

“Too bad.” Irene stood up while grabbing her purse and headed toward the counter.

“Miss Bae!” Wendy frantically gathered her own purse and chased after Irene. However, Irene was faster and more agile. She maneuvered around the tables and already made her way to the counter, handing the bill to the cashier.

When Irene finished paying, she turned around to see Wendy pouting and laughed at the adorableness. She slung her purse over her left shoulder and her right hand took a hold of Wendy’s hand, tugging it.

“Come on, I still have to buy Yeri’s soup.”

Wendy gave up and allowed herself to be dragged. Their hands remained linked after they exited the restaurant and headed toward Irene’s car. A smile surfaced but out of Irene’s sight since she was pacing slightly ahead.

She can feel the happiness radiate from Irene through her firm grip on her hand. It was such a simple skinship, but Wendy was also overflowed by the fondness. Slowly growing addicted to Irene, she wished the night could stall so she could be in Irene’s presence a little longer. But she had a feeling there would be more time spent together in the future.

Wendy tugged at her hand forcing Irene to halt and look back. The glisten in her eyes reflected from the brightness of the moon made her face look ever so gentle. It only tempted Wendy to cup her cheeks, to touch the softness of her skin once again. She exhaled a calming breath and mutter out a slow and quiet confession.

“I like…tonight……..

….you and me”

In that moment, Irene had the most genuine smile she’d seen. “Me too.”

She pulled Wendy closer so they were walking side by side. The rest of the night, they never released their holds. Even if they did, they always reached back and clasped them once again. Her touch was so electrifying that it was almost impossible to let Irene go.

 

TBC

A/N: Soon.