Hold My Hand

Hold My Hand

Hold My Hand

 

The first time they met, he chose not to acknowledge her.

Kim Yewon was in the backstage dressing room of some music show, she couldn’t remember which one though, as her mind was just too unfocused from nonstop promotions and little sleep.

“Everyone!” A familiar voice boomed, startling the girls from their rest. They looked up curiously at source waiting at the door, to see their manager holding a large box. “We have to go promote our new album and greet the groups.” Her manager ordered, earning united groans from the young girls sprawled across the room.

They didn’t want to socialize, as did Yewon, but they had to for the sake of keeping appearances. They decide on the dressing room across, which contained the members of Seventeen, would be their first target. The members all exchanged friendly smiles and greetings, as well as a wonderful promotion of both their albums. It was a good meeting, but nothing memorable.

Scratch that.

Well, other than the obvious distaste in one member of the male group before her. She had passed by him on the way out of their dressing room and gave a polite hello and bowed, only to be greeted with a nonchalant stare and nod. The other girls, however, received a very bright smile and cheer from the very same male.

Maybe he’s biased to the prettier girls. She reasoned.

After all, it wasn’t the first time someone had snubbed her based on appearance. But knowing that it was another fellow idol, a handsome one at that, kind of stung.

Oh, well. That’s the industry for you.

-

The second time they met, he stuck gum in her hair.

“How did you manage to get gum in your hair just 10 minutes before the stage?” The eldest questioned frustratingly, using her long fingers to comb through Yewon’s new hairstyle (created just 5 minutes ago courtesy of vitamin Jung Yerin and stylist-unnie’s scissors.)

The poor, soft-spoken girl just wanted to cry.

“Don’t cry maknae.” Her groupmates chorused, hugging the heartbroken girl in front of them. She sniffled as she touched the new bangs across her forehead.

“Yeah, it’ll grow back, so don’t worry Umji-yah!” Yerin reassured, the younger one’s back comfortingly.

The thing is, they didn’t know that it wasn’t her fault for getting gum stuck in her hair. Instead, the culprit was the young man currently looking from across the hallway due to the commotion. The young girl glanced up in his direction, only to meet his gaze and blank expression. He quickly turned around and the maknae sighed internally.

Again, Vernon/Chwe Hansol of Seventeen. He was the one who had flicked gum on her hair.

It wasn’t on purpose, as far as Kim Yewon knew. She reasoned, that due to the fact that she was standing right next to the trash can, his aim was just slightly off.

Like, really off.

Enough to land right smack dab in the middle of her forehead, startling the young girl who immediately tried to take it off, but moved it to her hair instead. Which then got stuck and tangled in her long strands, and due to the limited time, the best course of action to take would to just cut it all off.

Thus her bangs were born.

News Articles would say it’s because of her confidence being shot down due to mean comments, which was slightly true, but it wasn’t the real reason sadly.

-

The third time, he insulted her English pronunciation.

After the awards ceremony, the idols hurried to head to the back to their dressing rooms, either to rest or to get ready to head home. Kim Yewon took her time after her groupmates, as she was tired and was not in any kind of rush. Suddenly, she felt a tap her shoulder. Turning around she came face to face with her partner for the collaboration.

“Oh, Vernon-sshi, Hello.” She greeted kindly and gave a slight bow. She looked up to meet him eye to eye, brows furrowed questioningly. But silence ensued the next few seconds, making her slightly anxious.

“You speak English.” Hansol stated rather simply, giving a rather hard stare towards the petite female. Yewon blinked and gave a slow nod. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw her members huddled together giving owl-like stares at the situation before them. “It’s not ‘to us’, it’s ‘for us’.”

Oh.

He was talking about her speech.

“Your pronunciation could be better.” He added.

Kim Yewon gawked after the tall male who quickly made his way across the hall to join his fellow bandmates. The maknae could only stare, still trying to process whether that was an actual insult or a true critical review. Her moment of confusion was interrupted as she was now pushed to the wall, her fellow members towering over her as she shrunk in nervousness.

“What was THAT?” They squealed in unison, excited and ready for the hot gossip.

Oh boy.

What was she going to say? That apparently the handsome rapper of Seventeen had just insulted her English pronunciation just after being his dance partner?

Damn, her pride really hurt.

-

The fourth time, he tripped her.

They met again at another music show award.

Again in the back hallway where most idols were just resting in chairs or walking to talk to one another. Yewon made eye contact with Vernon, who was sitting on the side with his groupmates, and as polite as always, she gave a timid smile and bow.

It was only a few seconds in between the time they would pass one another. It was only a second that was needed for Yewon to notice the long leg of the Seventeen member move out in front of her. And it was another second that was needed to realize that she could not avoid it. The step she took promptly got caught and she fell face first into the floor.

Normally it’d be fine, as she was always either wearing spats or shorts underneath her skirts or dresses, but because she had just changed into another outfit, she had forgotten both of those options.

And so her underwear was seen by a large variety of people.

 “S-sorry.”

He did it by accident of course.

At least that’s what Yewon was trying to convince herself about. She was a reasonable girl and she didn’t like to start unnecessary fights. It was simply in her nature to keep quiet and to hold things in. The poor girl, on the verge of tears briskly stood up and wiped at her skirt. She made eye-contact, a look of disdain and hurt obvious in her facial expression, and quickly turned away to her group members ahead of her.

Kim Yewon refused to cry in front of him. Especially on an award day.

Screw everyone. They could just deal with an image of her underwear, it wouldn’t kill her or her pride.

Well, maybe most of it.

-

The fifth time, he took the last her favorite drink.

After a long and hard week of schedules, Kim Yewon liked to reward herself with her favorite drink at the back of SBS Inkigayo. Being the last music show of the week, it was her chance to kick back and relax, and it was also the only music show that carried the special kind she enjoyed.

“Unnies, did you guys want anything from the vending machine?” She offered happily, twirling around at the fact that she just, honestly felt really good today.

Her groupmates gave her their orders and the maknae left skipping. She greeting the usual producers, directors, and other workers she met on a day to day basis before heading over to the far side of the building where her reward was located. Spotting it, she got her money ready before a familiar voice called out her name.

“Umji-yah!”

She turned around and squealed in excitement at the person before her.

“Moonbyul-Unnie!”

The two friends quickly ran up to one another and exchanged loving hugs. They quickly caught up on things, schedules, comebacks, etc. All the members of Mamamoo were incredibly nice and fun to be around with, but her favorite unnie to talk to was definitely Moonbyulie-Unnie. She was always such a fun and gentle soul to be around, and she also had a nice habit of treating anyone she adored.

“What are you doing way over here Umji-yah?” Moonbyul questioned, curious as to why the maknae was alone without her group members.

“Just on an errand to get drinks for the girls”

“Oh? How about I treat you the-“ She was cut off by a small cough and a familiar voice saying “Excuse me.”

The two girls quickly moved to the side to let the person pass, with Yewon biting her lips as she gave a nod to Vernon who nodded back at her. She quickly turned back to her speaking partner, heart beating nervously at his presence. Due to previous meeting, she concluded that she really did not want to be anywhere near him.

“As I was saying, I’ll buy you your drink. What would you like?” The older girl offered. Yewon didn’t want to particularly take advantage of her favorite unnie, but at the same time, it was a free drink. Can’t say no to that.

“Ah, I like to treat myself to the Strawberry Matcha Tea from XXXXX-brand, Is that okay?”

Moonbyul nodded and went up to the vending machine.

“Ah. They don’t have it. Is there anything else you want though?”

“Oh no.” The maknae looked in horror as the normal slot for her favorite drink was empty, with the horrid sign of ‘SOLD OUT’ blinking in bright red letters. She suddenly heard a small pop, a sound similar to that of a bottle opening, and turned to face that direction she heard it. It was Chwe Hansol, with a few drinks in his arms and one in his hand.

Yewon gave a small, almost undetectable gasp as she noticed what drink the Seventeen member had in his hands. It was her Strawberry Matcha Tea! The last one! The one she could’ve gotten if she hadn’t let him go first!

Son of a bit-

-

It was lunch-time for the idols at ISAC, the Idol Star Athletic Championships 2017. Many groups relished in the freedom to be out of sight in the comfort of the backstage, even if the dressing rooms had to be shared with some other groups,  everyone was excited to finally eat a large and fulfilling meal. The members of Gfriend were no exception. Any rest was welcomed and appreciated.

“Thank you for the meal!” The members chorused for V-App and bowed.

Yewon giggled and gave a warm smile to her members, who were just as excited to eat as she was. Looking in the rather crowded room, she found a spot in the corner with a desk and two chairs.

Perfect.

She sat down and clasped her hands together. This spot was mostly secluded and quiet, it was perfect to relax and to examine the room before her. After all, people watching was one of her favorite hobbies to do.

She looked over to her right to see Sowon who was chatting with some of the older members of WJSN. Eunha sitting side by side with Sana, most likely gossiping about the members of GOT7 they liked more. Squinting, she could see Yuju and Sejeong, Yewon guessed it was most likely with Chaeyeon. But Sinb was nowhere to be found.

Eh?

Yewon gave a slight frown as she looked around. She was so focused, she didn’t realize that someone was slowly making their way to her table. She stared hard to the right of the table, analyzing the scene in front of her, that she was completely unaware of a person’s presence right beside her. A cough was made, startling the young girl who quickly whipped her head to meet the source of noise.

It was Chwe Hansol of Seventeen. Again.

“Is it alright if I sit here?” He asked, voice low and polite. Umji stole a quick glance at the tray of food in his hands and quickly looked around to see if anyone was around. Surprisingly, no one was paying them any attention, not even the Seventeen members at the corner on the other side of the room.

“You’re going to get fat if you only eat the meat you know.”

Kim Yewon froze, she looked up with widened eyes and mouth agape at the handsome individual in front of her. That was incredibly rude. The tempura she had originally intended to put in began to slip from her chopsticks as seconds passed by. Realizing that, she slowly put her utensil down to fully pay him attention. Honestly, just what was his deal?

“Um…” She squeaked, trying to gather confidence. “I don’t think I’m wrong, when I’m saying that the past few times we’ve met, you’ve either been incredibly rude or mean to me.” She blurted rather hastily, heart anxious and eyes wide as she stared into Hansol’s eyes.

“Did I….by chance, do anything wrong?” Yewon questioned softly, fingers fidgeting in knots together.

The young man in front of her looked stunned at the questions she asked. His eyes dilated as he opened his mouth, whispers of nothing escaping as he tried to gather his thoughts.

“Why didn’t you hold my hand?” He blurted.

What?

 “I-I…um…what?” She softly questioned, confusion entering her eyes. She honestly had no clue about what he was talking about, nor did she really understand how to respond to his question.

He looked up suddenly, eyes seemingly determined.

“At MAMA. For our dance together.” He explained, cheeks turning a touch red. “Everyone else held hands, but you didn’t even try reaching for mine.” He added, voice getting a quiet as he continued.

“I did though…” She insisted, causing Hansol’s determined expression to change into one of surprise.

“I thought you were the one who didn’t want to hold mine. Either that or I missed the timing.” She explained slowly, still mildly confused at his question and the background behind it. MAMA was so long ago, and he only just now brought this up? Couldn’t he of done it after the stage, instead of criticizing her English? If anything, it’s not like one dance step and mistake was fatal during the performance. The fans seemed to really like it regardless. “You could’ve missed the timing as well.” She added.

Seventeen’s rapper was still for a good moment. Rethinking the MAMA performance and the fact that mistakes could’ve been made. She was right, they both could’ve just missed the timing. Because if she insisted that she went for his hand and he for sure went for hers, then….

“Oh. You’re right.”

“So….” The poor girl needed a moment to process the situation before her. “You’re saying that all those previous times you were rude or incredibly mean to me were because I didn’t hold your hand?”

He gave a hesitant nod.

“ARE YOU CRAZY?!” She screeched. Not even caring about her image, nor the dozens of heads that quickly turned to look at the commotion going on in the corner of the room.

“!?” Chwe Hansol jumped back, completely not expecting the loud shriek of the female before him. Unfortunately, he put too much power into the unintended jump, which in turn caused his chair to tip over, and due to his weight and gravity, it fell back onto the ground. Along with him.

A loud thump was heard and seen from the other idols in the room, who looked concerned at the situation before them. The usually sweet and quiet Umji of Gfriend looked uncharacteristically angry. Whilst the rather cool and dorky Vernon of Seventeen, was on the floor a face mixed with guilt and mild pain. Unfortunately, lunch time was sacred and no one wanted to waste time observing a situation that had nothing to do with them.

Yewon looked down to the young boy, who groaned as he tried to lift himself out of the chair and onto the floor. She stood up and went around the desk, only to level herself to meet him eye to eye. Hansol sat up, and grimaced at her hard stare.

“You insulted my English.” She stated.

“It was just advice…albeit blunt. I actually speak fluent English you know.” He retorted in defense, rubbing the back of his head to soothe the newly forming bump.

“Your gum landed in my hair.” She emphasized, her voice an octave higher. She glared at him, pointing at her bangs to which he winced at.

“It was an honest accident. My aim was extremely far off. I’m so sorry. They look really good though.”

“You tripped me and people saw my underwear.” The maknae exasperatedly hissed.

Hansol apologized once more, not meeting her eyes in embarrassment.

“My legs are long and I don’t pay attention. Honestly, I swear I didn’t see them at all.”

That’s not the point.

“You even took the last strawberry and matcha drink from the vending machine!”

“I-I don’t understand how that’s even related!”

There was a moment of silence between the two. Yewon stared at the other boy in front of her, who kept his eyes glued to his lap remorsefully.

“But…” She started “You didn’t even acknowledge me the first time we met. I thought you didn’t like me.”

“I was just shy…”

“You still acknowledged my other members!” She accused, brows furrowing and a pout forming in remembrance. “With a smile, too!”

“That’s because you were really cute!”

Oh.

“I-I didn’t know what to say to you, I was just nervous.” He rapidly voiced. He found that his heart was pounding more quickly than usual and his deep tone shaking as he explained himself.

Yewon could only gawk at him as she took in his words. So, apparently, the whole thing was because he was too nervous to properly interact with her. With the MAMA performance together, the one step that made him frustrated, was the fact that they didn’t hold hands. And due to that, he instead acted out like a petty child with a temper tantrum towards her.

“I’m sorry. I really am.”

Yewon sighed and stood up. She wasn’t one to get so angry over things that silly and she realized it was just too much energy to argue any more, since she finally understood it all.

“You’ve been on the floor way too long now. Get up.” The maknae ordered with a kind tone, lending her hand out to the boy below her.

He sheepishly looked up at her and grabbed her hand, rethinking his previous outbreak and choices with mild regret. The male rapper felt embarrassed and all he wanted to do was hide in a hole. Especially just after giving a not so official confession.

“I forgive you.” The young girl announced, causing Hansol to look up in surprise. She gave a kind smile and nodded towards her hands for him to grab. Finally giving up, he took her hand and started to pull himself up with her help.

All of a sudden, Yewon giggled cutely, making Hansol frown in confusion.

“Are you laughing at me?” He accused, giving a small pout at the small dig to his pride.

“No.” The petite female only gave another giggle as she tilted her head to the side.

“I’m holding your hand now, see?” She stated, a warm smile gracing her lips as she squeezed his hands with a gentle amount of pressure. Hansol froze, now taking notice at the fact that they were touching. Holding hands.

“Happy now, Chwe Hansol?”

Happier than he could ever admit.

 

Ⓒ Rhiean 2017

This is a work of fiction. It is an original story. Any similarity to another story is coincidental or unintentional.

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

This took quite a while. It was hard and difficult and unncessarily long.  Umji as a character, is meant to be simple and easy-going normally. But when tested, and as her anger builds up, she can have her moments to be quite honest. But in the end, I still imagine her to be a kind and gentle character, who doesn't really want conflict. I don't go into much detail with Vernon, but regardless, I hope you find his character to be a cute addtion. He a young boy, who isn't very tactful  with his actions nor words, but is suprisingly honest and earnest at the same time.

So Gfriend is coming back and I am so freaking excited. Are you excited? Umji looks so good. They all look so good. I'm so pumped for the abum though. Their albums are so fun  to listen to. Anyways, Please comment and let me know what you think.

Love, Rheian ♥
 
P.S. Also check out my other story "Simply, No." It stars Yuju x Jungkook, and others depending on if I wish to continue it other than the main storyline. lol. Will update soon!