Four

Branded
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


It was a calculated move on his part to arrive a day early  back in ASTRO's shared apartment. They weren't due back until late afternoon tomorrow, but Bin thought that he'd get a head start in the unpacking knowing that once the dorms were filled again, it would be nothing short of total chaos. Six boys scrambling to put clothes away and hogging the next available closet or drawer space was not a pretty sight. Besides, he was putting too much of an emotional strain on his own family, making them feel utterly impotent at trying to cheer him up... or get him to talk. 

Another thing that made the early move back much more attractive to him was the thought of sleeping in Eunwoo's bed, surrounded at least by his boyfriend's comforting smell if not by him physically. That is, of course, if their dorm cleaner hadn't gotten around to washing their sheets yet. As he keyed in the codes to open their security door, Bin became aware of the sound of sizzling and kitchen utensils hitting pan. So it seems, he wasn't the only one with the same idea.

It was Rocky; earbuds stuffed securely in his ears, swaying to music only he can hear while he went about preparing a belated lunch for himself. He hadn't even noticed  that his Bin-hyung had arrived until he was standing inches from him in front of the stove.

"Yah!" Rocky yelled with a start, holding his metal spatula out like a weapon ready to do battle in defense of the pan of canned ham he was currently frying. He clutched the utensil to his chest when he realized who it was. "When did you get in?" He plucked the earbuds from his ears and tucked them into his pants' pocket.

Bin couldn't help but crack a smile, seeing his manly friend so flustered at being snuck up on. One of the best things living in a dorm with five other people, there was always someone who could distract you from your own troubles just to laugh. "Just now. What are you making?"

"Just a quick fry up. The rice is already done. Do you want to eat with me?"

Strangely enough, Bin found himself scrunching his nose in distaste at the thought of food. "I'm not really hungry."

Rocky raised an eyebrow up. Bin refusing food was not part of his hyung's standard SOP. "Are you sure? I made more than enough for two people."

"Yeah." Before Rocky could come up with anything else or take further notice of the strangeness in his behavior, Bin changed the topic. "You're here early."

"Frankly speaking, being home felt strange." Rocky muttered, turning off the stove. "I had nothing to do. My parents were asking me the same questions they ask me on the phone when I'm away. My baby brother has his new group of friends. Apparently they're so much more cooler than his idol hyung. He'd rather hang out with them than with me. And I know I've complained about not seeing them enough during promotions but I hadn't expected wanting to go back to my life here as much as I did. We've been working so hard these past two years I don't know what to do on a vacation anymore."

Bin could certainly empathize. It wasn't just about being back where Eunwoo would be that prompted his abrupt leave. Life in the dorms, surrounded by his band mates and friends, was his new norm. He felt the same way Rocky did at home.

Like he didn't belong there anymore. 

ASTRO was his new home.

"I'm gonna go lie down for a bit. Still tired from the bus ride." Bin declared, stretching his arms towards the cieling until he heard the base of his spine crack. He dragged his suitcase towards the bedroom he shared with Eunwoo, looking forward to curling up for a nap. 

The smell of detergent was strong when he opened the door and he found himself exceedingly disappointed that their cleaning lady had been so diligent with her duties. He sat down on the bottom bunk, toeing off his sneakers; saddened that instead of his boyfriend's scent, it was the odor of disinfectant that permeated the room. He glanced at Eunwoo's pillow, plumped and clad in a new pillowcase. He grabbed it, stripping the covering off so he could bury his nose into it; burrowing deep into the stuffing, sniffing until he found traces of the smell he associated with his lover. Keeping the scent tucked within his lungs, Bin lay down, cradling the bare pillow to his chest until he fell asleep.

Sometime in between wakefulness and slumber, he became vaguely aware of voices outside his room; the dorm's relative quiet disturbed by the other members returning to the group nest. Bin shifted to his other side, refusing to come out of the fog, preferring the bleary dark shapes that flitted in and out of his subconscious. As each shape coalesced into something  more concrete, he saw ghosts of Eunwoo's smiles within the swirling patterns and he felt oddly comforted. 

Yes, he should just stay asleep.


*************

"Bin." 

A sharp tap and then a vigorous shake on his shoulder successfully jolted him out of unconsciousness. Bin reluctantly opened his eyes, squinting upwards at his Jinjin-hyung; his hair still wet from a recent shower. 

"Get up. Dinner's on the way." He said, raising an eyebrow at him. Bin hadn't bothered to contact him or his MJ-hyung after he abandoned their impromptu coffee date three days prior. "I hope you have nothing against chicken and pizza. They were the only ones who would deliver at this hour. Rocky tells me you haven't eaten since you got in this afternoon."

Bin sat up, picking at the dried gunk that gathered in the corners of his eyes. He leaned against the wall, still feeling drowsy. "I wasn't hungry. What time is it?" His voice

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter