CHAPTER 13

Under Pressure

The rest of the week leading up to Wednesday goes increasingly slowly. Taehyung didn’t tell Jungkook who he's going out with, but he did tell him it was today. Their classes are filled with incessant teasing from him. Jungkook pokes and prods and tries to randomly spring the question on him, making him increasingly frustrated. The day is made better by the fact that he gets a few nice texts from Namjoon, telling him how excited he is to hang out.

In the parking lot after school, Namjoon is waiting for him by his car. He’s wearing a puffy blue coat that he makes look surprisingly good.

“Hey,” Namjoon says with a grin. He has a nice smile- small and sweet, not big and cheesy, like Jungkook’s.

“Hi. So what do you want to do?”

“Well,” he says, “First I thought we could practice together, but then I thought that that was kinda lame, so I was wondering if you might want to go get a coffee or something.”

He smiles at him, very glad he discarded the practicing idea. “Like a date?”

Namjoon grins at him. “If you want it to be a date.”

The older's bluntness makes him blush, so he turns away, “I’d be okay with that.”

“Awesome. There’s a coffee place down the road, if you want to walk. I thought that might be a nice change.”

He nods. “It’s a really nice day.”

The weather. The go-to subject if things are getting slightly awkward. (Taehyung didn’t think they were, but here they are).

They start to walk, and Namjoon asks him about movies he'd watched recently. He has to think for a while. The last two movies he saw were with Jungkook, and he can’t even remember their plots, let alone their names.

“I don’t know,” he admits with a laugh. “I can’t remember.”

Namjoon smiles, and starts telling him about a movie he saw recently- something about an ocean, but he thinks it was a horror movie?

Taehyung tries to remember the movies he saw, but he can’t picture them. All he can remember is Jungkook’s leg on his… which is not something you should be thinking about on a date, Tae.

Namjoon pulls open the door to the coffee shop, and he smiles at him. Namjoon buys him a coffee, and they grab a window seat. The place is small and crowded- Taehyung recognize a lot of other kids from school here, which makes him feel a little nervous that this is one of Momo’s favourite hangouts.

She doesn’t show up though, and he pays attention to Namjoon, slowly figuring out he is a music junkie. And apparently he talks a lot when he’s nervous, which Taehyung finds endearing. For the next hour, he talks about everything from old music to modern ones, and the proper way to hold a guitar.

“Are you going to go into music then?” he asks during one of Namjoon's far-between pauses.

“Yeah,” he says happily. “I love music.”

He smiles at him. “I can tell.”

A self-consious look comes over his face. “Am I talking too much about myself?”

“I don’t mind.” he smiles at him.

And truthfully, he doesn’t. He likes talking to Namjoon- he doesn’t flirt excessively, and seems really interested in getting to know him. Also, they have lots in common- something he definitely didn’t know before now.

An hour or so later, back in the school parking lot, Namjoon stands by his car, his hands in his pockets.

“So…” he says. A grin creeps across his face. “Do you think you’d want to do that again?”

He smiles at him, and a warm feeling surges through him. “That would be fun.”

“This weekend?” Namjoon asks.

“I’m free Saturday.”

“Sounds like a date.”

He laughs. “Sounds good.”

Namjoon turns to his own car. Taehyung watch him go, and notices that he turns back to look at him before he leaves, flashing him a big smile.

Barely five minutes after he walks in the front door, his phone beeps. Apparently Jungkook had texted him a while ago.

New Message

From: Jungkook

3:43 pm

So, how’d it go?

New Message

To: Jungkook

4:47 pm

It was good :)

New Message

From: Jungkook

4:48 pm

Details please?

New Message

To: Jungkook

4:51 pm

By details, do you mean ammo?

New Message

From: Jungkook

4:54 pm

*angelic face* of course not

New Message

To: Jungkook

4:56 pm

Liar.

New Message

From: Jungkook

4:59 pm

Just tell me how it went. I’ll stop bugging.

New Message

To: Jungkook

5:02 pm

No you won’t.

New Message

From: Jungkook

5:05 pm

Yeeeeeeesss.

New Message

To: Jungkook

5:06 pm

Fine. Date on Saturday. Go away.

New Message

From: Jungkook

5:08 pm

Interesting :3

Untrue to Jungkook's word, (though Taehyung didn’t think he would be), Jungkook hounds him about his date for the rest of the school week. He still haven’t told him who he's going with though, which seems to be bothering him a lot. For the rest of the school week, their conversations go mostly like this:

Jungkook: Tell me who it is.

Tae: No.

Jungkook: Come on, tell me.

Tae: I’m not going to tell you, be quiet.

Jungkook: Pleeeeaaaassseee.

Tae: Not going to happen.

Jungkook: I’ll be your best friend.

Tae: Wow, that’s tempting.

By Friday, Jungkook has resorted to randomly whipping out the question in hopes that he'll slip up and tell him. He keeps his mouth shut though, so that the younger is practically begging him by the end of the day. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Honestly it’s kind of funny to see Jungkook begging him for answers.

Saturday’s date with Namjoon is pretty much the same as the first. He picks him up in his car, which makes Jungkook’s car look like heaven. Namjoon’s is littered with empty food wrappers, and smells like French fries.

“Are you excited?” he asks.

“Yeah, what are we doing?”

“It’s a surprise.”

He smiles at him, and Namjoon grins. “I think you’ll really like it.”

They go to a movie, a new blockbuster hit that Namjoon is raving about. He notice that besides the flirty moment when they fight over the armrest, Namjoon doesn’t touch him during the movie, but keeps his eyes on the screen. It’s sort of a disappointment compared to watching movies with Jungkook…But then he has to remind himself that he's not here with Jungkook, he's here with Namjoon.

When they get back to his house, Namjoon walks him to his door.

“I had a good time,” he says.

“Me too.” he smiles at him. “It was a really good movie.”

“I’m glad you liked it.”

Namjoon is standing very close to him. His breath smells like mint gum. Taehyung guesses this is the regular, cliché part of the date that he always sees in movies.

Namjoon starts leaning in. His heart is beating very fast.

His lips brush his and a surge of warm spreads through him. Then Namjoon pulls away.

“I’ll text you,” he says with a smile.

Taehyung waits for Namjoon to get in his car, waving him off. Then he walks inside, sort of in a trance.

Was that my first kiss? If so, is it bad to say that it was kind of disappointing?

Let him correct himself. It wasn’t bad, just different than he had expected. Books always describe kisses as being incredible and heart-stopping…then again, he tells himself, I probably shouldn’t compare books to real life. Your life is not a book Tae, he scolds. 

He had turned off his phone during the movie, but once it’s on, he finds two missed calls and four messages from Jungkook, each saying, How’d it go?

New Message

To: Jungkook

10:13 pm

It was good :)

He hesitates before sending it. Does he really need to tell Jungkook that Namjoon kissed him? He decided to keep it to himself, and send it. Jungkook probably doesn’t need to know. Next he emails Jimin, and tells him.

Message Recipient: 

From: 

I just had my first kiss! Second date with Namjoon (the other Tenor from band), and I think it went good!

Tae

Ten minutes later he gets this back:

Message Recipient: 

From: 

TAEHYUNGIE,

Bloody hell that’s exciting! I remember him too- he always seemed to like you! That’s awesome! Do you think you’ll go out?

Jimin

Message Recipient: 

From: 

Jimin,

I think he might ask me out, and of course I’ll say yes. I really like hanging out with him!

Tae

Two seconds later he gets a text from Jungkook.

New Message

From: Jungkook

10:21 pm

Did he kiss you?

New Message

To: Jungkook

10:24 pm

Maybe

New Message

From: Jungkook

10:31 pm

Oh. Who is he?

New Message

To: Jungkook

10:34 pm

Not telling! :) going to bed, night!

He tells Jimin the same thing and goes back to bed.

The next day, Namjoon texts him.

New Message

From: Namjoon

1:15 pm

Hey, I have question for you :)

New Message

To: Namjoon

1:16 pm

Shoot.

New Message

From: Namjoon

1:18 pm

Will you go out with me?

His heart beats in slightly faster time.

New Message

To: Namjoon

1:22 pm

Yeah, okay :)

His heart flutters in his chest for a moment. I, Tae, have a boyfriend.

The first thing he does is email Jimin.