Your Personal Cheerleader

Ya Ba La Ba Hi Ya
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“When are you gonna stop watching him from up here like a creep?”

Jaemin ignores his gay best friend, right hand dunking into the bag of honey butter chips by his side and popping one into his mouth. He messily rubs his fingers together to get rid of the crumbs before circling his hand back around the binoculars.

Donghyuck rolls his eyes, choosing to raid Jaemin’s snacks instead.

“And since when do you eat honey butter chips, Na Na?” He questions, for as far as he’s concerned, his best friend preferred candies and chocolates to salty and nutty fried potatoes.

“Since Jeno posted a picture of them on Instagram last week.” The boy simply replies, shrugging, eyes barely even lifting an inch from his binoculars.

The tanner male grimaces, obviously having had enough of his best friend’s bull. His gross crush on the soccer team’s ace was absolutely ridiculous. No – crush would be an understatement. Na Jaemin was literally and helplessly in love with him. One could even say he was obsessed.

Of course, this wasn’t the first time Donghyuck found his best friend perched atop the windowsill of one of the empty classrooms on the fourth floor, watching the soccer team having their practice. Hell it’s been almost a year since Jaemin started his weird fanboying ways.

(He even opened a fanclub for the soccer player and was the anonymous president of it, but of course no one has to know about that. Only Donghyuck knows.)

The annoying thing is – Jaemin never wanted to make his existence known to Jeno. He was always watching him from afar instead, going to all his games but never congratulating him afterwards.

Why, you may ask?

Na Jaemin was a nobody. It was as simple as that.

While Lee Jeno was the definition of the perfect student - smart, athletic, popular, kind and good-looking, Na Jaemin was the exact opposite. He’s barely passing all his classes, had noodles for arms and his only friends were Donghyuck and the janitor.

If he had a dollar for every time someone told him he was handsome, he would only have a dollar. (Thanks mom!)

Because unlike Lee Jeno, who was blessed with soulful eyes, a 60 degree nose and a defined jawline, he was instead given unusually large eyes and a smile that could make kids cry.

In conclusion, Lee Jeno was out of his league.

Or so he thought.

-

“Hey, Jeno Lee! Your number one fan is watching you again~”

Jeno briefly looks out to that one window of the school building, before turning back around to shove at his teammate.

“Shut it, Mark hyung.”

The older chuckles and slings an arm around the ace’s shoulder.

“You should say hi to him at the next game, man.” He suggests, but Jeno’s lips quirk into a small smirk instead.

“Nah, I’m waiting for him to come say hi to me first.”

-

Jaemin flops onto his bed lifelessly, ignoring Scruffles, his poodle, constantly barking at his feet. He checks into Line, updating his Jeno fanclub group chat about the day’s events.

 

President:

He was wearing a muscle tank at practice today T^T his arms omo ;w;

Unknown365:

T___T

McArui7:

Waa I wish I could have watched

Strony99:

Me too, I hate homework

Unknown365:

Yeah, I hope our Jeno isn’t too stressed out

AegyoPrince:

Yeah,,,

McArui7:

Everyone is going to the game on Friday right?

Unknown365:

Yes of course

AegyoPrince:

Yes!

00170214x:

Uh huh

Strony99:

I can’t T__T project T__T

President:

Hwaiting everyone!

 

“Jaemin ah! Come down for dinner!” He hears his mother shout from downstairs, and he shouts back an okay in response.

He doesn’t move from his spot however, basking in his own bubble of happiness and glee as he recalls how good Jeno looked at practice that day.

How the sweat on his lean but muscular arms glistened in the sun and the way strands of his dark hair stuck to his forehead. How he just wanted to walk right onto the field and lovingly wipe away the sweat on his forehead. Oh man, Na Jaemin was so in love.

He imagines himself jumping into Jeno’s arms when they win a soccer match, limbs wrapped around each other. And then Jeno would twirl him around as they look into each other’s eyes as if they were the only things that mattered to one another. And then they would kiss –

“Na Jaemin!”

He is broken out of his cringe worthy daydream when his bedroom door slams open and he sees his mother standing there, clad in a Wonder Woman apron and a spatula in her hand, an annoyed expression on her face.

Jaemin scrambles out of his bed before his mother could say anything more, accidentally tripping over Scruffles on his way out.

“Jesus, help that poor boy.” Mrs. Na shakes her head at her son, before gathering Scruffles into her arms and bringing the little puppy downstairs for his own dinner.

After dinner, Jaemin abandons his homework to scroll through Instagram. His eyes light up when he refreshes the page and Jeno’s username pops up. He feels his heart flutter when he sees the boy post a selfie with his cat, Bongsik.

He wants to double tap on his photo a million times, but decides that he doesn’t want to seem too creepy being the first to like the post (oh the irony). Because, a locked account with no name or display picture liking his post first would admittedly be a little strange, so he waits till there are a few likes before double tapping the screen.

Jaemin rolls onto his side, hands clutching his phone as he stares hopelessly at Jeno’s Instagram post. He sports a bittersweet smile, eyes slowly fluttering close as he wishes he could have the courage to talk to Jeno one day.

-

Friday evening comes real quick, and Jaemin finds himself squashed up in the bleachers between avid soccer fans as well as equally excited fangirls. He recognizes some of them from the fanclub but doesn’t say hi of course. After all, his identity was anonymous and no one really knew him anyways.

He gasps dramatically, however, when he sees a familiar red head two rows down in the bleachers. Ignoring the annoyed grunts of his schoolmates, he pushes his way towards the tanned male and grabs him by the shoulder to face him.

“Lee Donghyuck? At a soccer game?” Jaemin comments, bewildered. His best friend never, and I mean never ever accompanies him to the school’s soccer games, claiming that it was hot, boring and hearing fangirls squeal hurt his ears. Yet here he stood, right in front of Jaemin’s eyes. “And you didn’t have the heart to tell me?”

“I-“

“Oh my God Lee Donghyuck, are you wearing what I think you’re wearing?!” Jaemin cuts him off and forces his best friend’s body around completely. He stares blankly at the oversized white jersey that Donghyuck is wearing, a Mark 10 printed boldly across the back.

He feels shocked. Betrayed even.

“What the Lee Donghyuck!” The pretty boy screams, ignoring the weird stares he was getting from his schoolmates, hitting his best friend on the shoulder. “Explain!”

“There’s nothing to explain!” The tanner male exclaims, holding his hands out in front of him defensively. “We’re just … friends!”

“Friends my .” Jaemin grumbles. He hears the announcer say that the game would begin in a few minutes, so he diverts his attention back to the field instead. “We’re not done with this conversation, Hyuck.”

Twenty minutes into the game, Jaemin finds himself completely entranced as usual. Jeno was simply shining on the field, making two goals so far. Of course, he wasn’t known as the team’s ace for nothing.

He continues cheering for the boy for the rest of the game, and the team takes home the win with a score of 7-2. There is confetti everywhere and it must have been wishful thinking, but Jaemin swore he saw Jeno look in his direction and lock eyes with him for a second. There’s a small smile on his face and Jaemin knows, he knows that he’s definitely dreaming.

Jaemin keeps his eyes on him though, even when a cheerleader approaches Jeno with a sickening smile on her caked up face. She congratulates him on the win and goes in for a hug, but the soccer player simply thanks her and gives her a handshake instead.

The dejected look on her face makes Jaemin laugh, but he still seethes with rage and jealousy at how close the cheerleader was sticking to him.

He internally pats himself on the back for kicking that out of the fanclub two months ago.

-

After changing out of his sweaty uniform and taking a quick shower, Jeno stones by his locker. His thoughts filled with a certain pretty face bickering in the crowd with his best friend. He lets out a little laugh remembering how big the boy’s eyes went when the soccer player smiled in his direction.

He doesn’t know his name, though. All he knew was that the boy’s antics were interesting. Cute even. And it sort of got him hooked.

“Thinking about your fanboy again?” Mark interrupts his thoughts, playfully swatting his towel at the boy’s side.

Jeno scoffs and ignores his best friend, pulling out his Vans from his gym bag and settling himself down on the bench.

“Those cheerleaders really like you huh?” Mark jokes, taking a seat across his best friend to put on his own sneakers. “They don’t know you’re into , do they?”

Jeno chuckles as he laces up his Vans, recalling how a few of the girls approached him after the game, but sadly got brushed off by the soccer player instead.

“I just find it really amusing at how hard they try to get in my pants.”

The older laughs, jokingly whispering a “boy” under his breath, but he says it loud enough for his best friend to hear. Jeno rolls his eyes.

“Just because that guy with the, I quote you, heavenly voice agreed to go out with you doesn’t make you all that,” the younger retorts. “And I am not a boy.”

“His name is Donghyuck,” Mark replies defensively. “And I offered to help you with his best friend but no, you insist on wanting the poor boy to talk to you first. You can’t just wait for him to chase you, dude.”

“I think he’s really cute when he chases me around and thinks I don’t notice him, though.” Jeno shrugs.

“Once again, boy.”

The younger scoffs for the millionth time and shoves his best friend off the bench. He grins triumphantly when Mark lands on his with a wince on his face.

“Get going on your date, idiot.”

-

Jaemin stomps straight into his room the minute he steps foot into his home. He doesn’t eat the cake that was left on the counter for him, nor does he pay any mind to his dog barking happily by his feet. He simply shuts his bedroom door with a loud bang and falls face-first onto his bed.

Typical Na Jaemin behavior after a bad day.

Sure, Jeno’s team took home the win and the soccer player looked amazing as ever, but the cause of Jaemin’s bad mood was something else.

First of all, he finds out that Lee Donghyuck, his best friend (or should he even still call him that?) was dating Mark Lee. Yes, Mark Lee. Mark Lee as in the second ace of the soccer team and Jeno’s best friend Mark Lee.

And did Donghyuck even have the heart to tell him? Nooo. What a best friend he was.

“I was gonna tell you after the date!” Donghyuck argued.

“Lies!” Jaemin retorted pettily, before storming off.

Second of all, as if he wasn’t already upset enough, Jaemin had to first handedly witness a bunch of cheerleaders place their disgusting yet perfectly manicured hands on his Jeno. They even followed him around like lost dogs after the game.

Oh the way they fluttered their fake eyelashes and pouted in front of the soccer player made him want to puke out all of his organs.

Na Jaemin was livid. But at the same time he was upset.

Upset because his best friend had more game than he had. Upset that those cheerleaders had the chance to speak to Jeno like that. Upset that he himself couldn’t even talk to Jeno if he wanted to.

Ultimately, Na Jaemin was simply demoralized. For he had completely zero chance of interacting with the love of his life.

I should just stick to hiding within the fanclub, he thinks.

-

When Donghyuck comes to visit him on Sunday morning, Jaemin slams the door closed in his face. He doesn’t lock the door though, so the tanner male comes pouting into his room with snacks in his hand.

“I’m still not forgiving you no matter how good these chocolates are, Hyuck.” Jaemin says as he munches on the assorted desserts. However deep inside, Jaemin had long forgiven him. After all, he was soft for his gay bff, and you have no idea how happy he actually was for him.

“I know,” Donghyuck whines, popping a chocolate truffle into his mouth. He looks down and plays with his fingers, a little smile gracing his lips. “The date went well though, if you were still wondering.”

Jaemin stops chewing on his nougat and stares at his best friend.

“Did you kiss?”

Donghyuck nods shyly with a tinge of pink dusting his cheekbones and Jaemin screams. He holds his best friend’s arms and the two squeal excitedly like fangirls, constantly bouncing on Jaemin’s bed.

“Oh my God oh my God oh my God,” the pretty boy shrieks. “Tell me everything!”

“Well he took me to a carnival at the park,” Donghyuck begins, recalling how amazing his date went with a cheesy smile gracing his lips. “Cliché but he won me a stuffed lion which I named Marky.”

Jaemin literally squeals after every sentence. He was a er for cute, cliché romance.

“It was nothing much honestly, we just ate and walked around,” Donghyuck explains, shrugging. However he starts blushing again when Jaemin eggs him on to talk about their kiss. “There were fireworks and everything, and he just…”

Donghyuck paused, too shy to go on.

Jesus, Jaemin has never seen his best friend like that. Ever.

“He just grabbed my face and kissed me,” the tanner male mumbles. “And so I kissed him back.”

There is a short silence before Jaemin erupts in yet another high-pitched squeal. He tackles his best friend in a hug and sobs dramatically.

“Oh my God I’m so happy for you, Hyuck!” He coos.

“Thanks, Nana.” Donghyuck chuckles. “He’s just so amazing Nana you have to meet him soon.”

Jaemin freezes at the thought of meeting the soccer player. Mark may seem less intimidating than the love of his life Jeno, but he was still someone of different hierarchy. Even if he was dating his best friend, Mark was still on another level.

And what are the chances that Jeno will be there too? Oh no no no, Jaemin must not be seen by him. He can’t! He can’t face him, nor can he face Mark.

“You know I can’t, Hyuck.” Jaemin says apologetically.

“If this is about Jeno again, you know we are more than happy to set you up right?” Donghyuck sighs, feeling bad for his best friend.

“He’s way out of my league Hyuck,” Jaemin shakes his head profusely. “And besides, I’m sure he’d much prefer those pretty cheerleaders that are always following him around.”

Donghyuck huffs, he knew that arguing with the pretty boy about this would always end in the same conclusion – Jaemin sticking to anonymously fanboying over him. However, a random idea pops into his head.

“How about you join the cheerleading team then?” Donghyuck suggests. “If you can’t beat them, join them right?”

Jaemin grimaces at the thought of being on the same cheerleading team as those flirty es, even if it meant being able to “hang out” with the soccer team. Donghyuck always had the worst of ideas.

“Hyuck, I’m a guy, I can’t be on the cheer team!”

“There’s male cheerleaders too Nana!” Donghyuck argues.

“Yeah, but they’re mostly lifters!” Jaemin deadpans. “Besides, I have noodles for arms, you said so yourself. I can’t lift .”

The tanner male purses his lips, unable to find any other valid argument. He wrecks his brain deeper for any other ideas.

“Hey, Mark told me they need a new mascot for the next game,” Donghyuck says after moments of silence. “That’s one way you could get closer to Jeno without him actually knowing who you are.”

It was a stupid idea, honestly. It didn’t make any sense. But Jaemin was going to take whatever he could get.

-

The next time both the soccer team and the cheerleading squad had practice together, Jaemin shyly walks onto the field in his bright yellow sun mascot. (The soccer team was called Blazers, hence the sun mascot. Lame, I know.)

He managed to get the mascot position pretty easily without lots of people knowing who he was, courtesy of Donghyuck and his boyfriend.

Jaemin sees Donghyuck wave at him supportively from the top of bleachers, so he smiles back at him gratefully, which was stupid because he’s in a ing costume. No one can even see his face.

He facepalms and attempts to wave back at his best friend but he hears the cheerleading trainer call them all in to gather.

Jaemin shuffles uncomfortably to the group of girls in miniskirts and guys in tights. He doesn’t miss a familiar figure run past him onto the field though, and he almost loses his balance when he turns to see the love of his life just meters away from him.

Oh he looked absolutely gorgeous, even from behind his stupid costume. The wind was messing up his dark hair as he ran through the field, but he still looked ridiculously ethereal.

And Jaemin almost trips over his own two feet when Jeno bends into a squat position and he gets to see the defined muscles of the soccer player’s thighs in 1080p.

“Alright team,” the trainer calls out. “We’ll just do a round or two of all the routines and we’ll call it a day, I have some place to be.”

There’s a collective sound of hums and high-pitched girly okays that makes Jaemin roll his eyes.

“Mascot!” The trainer says, and suddenly many eyes were on him. He sweats a little (not because of the thick costume, really) for he wasn’t so used to having so much unwanted attention. “You know what to do.”

Jaemin nods profusely, but realizes (again) that no one can see his head movements, so he gives the woman a thumbs up. She returns it with a nod of her own and they take their places.

The cheerleaders begin their first routine and Jaemin does as he was told beforehand. To just, as he quotes the trainer, run and jump around like an overly excited idiot.

It was fairly simple, for Jaemin was good at running and jumping around like an overly excited idiot.

By the third and final routine, Jaemin was exhausted. No really, he was dead tired from just running and jumping around.

The trainer finally calls it a day and Jaemin flops onto the bench in content. His eyes travel to the field in search of that one soccer player, and he sits up straig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter