It takes two to tango

Worth

 

 

Every word cuts her like a knife, an agonising sting slicing through her nerves. She doesn't want to believe anything being drilled into her head. She feels cornered against the school’s brick wall, and for the first time ever she’d rather be anywhere but up against that wall.

What she assumed and hoped to be another quick make out session behind the school building turned into something else, something she never saw coming.

"I don't want to,” her whisper is easily heard, it wasn't hard with their proximity.

"Tiffany, I'm no good for you. We should end it now before you get caught.”

The girl sounds sincere and the worry she has for her oozes out from her tone. But Tiffany calls bull, because if she cared at all for her then she wouldn't be breaking off what they have and what Tiffany thought was beginning to bloom. If she cared for Tiffany at all then why were her words hurting her so.

If she cared for Tiffany then why couldn't she hear her heart being torn apart.

"I'm like an unwanted, ugly scab tainting your body. The more you pick the more I grow and consume you little by little. Leave it untouched, to heal, and I wouldn't be visible anymore. I'd slowly disappear and you'd forget about me. Stop picking me, Tiffany, because all you'll get from it is an unwanted, ugly scar across your heart.”

She spends the rest of her lunchtime at her desk. After being left alone behind the school building Tiffany was able to cry and scream out her initial pain. Sleeping at her desk seemed like an amazing idea because no one would disturb her or see the puffiness under her eyes.

It sounded like an amazing idea, if only her friends didn't catch sight of her fleeting body and decided to follow her. Lucky for her they knew the leave me alone aura she was sending out and had let her be.

Her friends are seated in the surrounding chairs of her desk, enough for the girly talk and gossip to leak through the barriers of her arms. She hears one of them squeal, “If I had to choose between loving you and breathing, I would use my last breath to say I love you.”

Like salt to the open and barely healing wound across her heart, Tiffany holds back a cry. Her friends’ cooes of how cute the random quote was masked her sobs of how unbelievably true it is.

It took the entire lunchtime to calm herself down. She dreads having to look up, eyes most likely bloodshot. Classmates file inside and she hears everyone quieten down around her for their teacher, most likely.

Now or never, she looks up, not wanting to get into trouble. Like the world wasn't against her enough, she looks up just in time to see a short girl walk into class. Late as usual. Her eyes follow the girl, looking past her group of shocked friends who now see how disheveled she is.

Her mind wanders back to the quote as she continues to unabashedly stare at the girl that has now taken her seat. In that moment, seeing the girl who thought she knew what was best for her made her angry. There was no compromise. No discussing of the so called issue. No nothing. Tiffany isn’t going to let anyone decide upon her happiness without her say, and that especially goes for this. Tiffany decides that she wouldn't do what the quote said. Why would she waste the time she could have with the girl for something they both already know.

The girl was oxygen to Tiffany. She was the air she breathed. She kept her lungs burning and needing more. She tasted her against her lips, felt as she ghosted over her tongue. Breathing the girl in was easy, loving her was the hard part.

Love is hard. Love is painful. And to top off the sappy notion, gazing at the girl now, Tiffany knows, love is worth it.

So, she picks at the forming scabs, tears it a new wound because she's not ashamed to wear the scars to come like a battle wound. She lets it grow, consuming her little by little. Because she knows it'll grow into a wanted, beautiful scar, illuminating her body. Something that doesn't need healing because there's nothing to heal. A scar she isn't afraid to show to the entire world.

Tiffany knows, because Taeyeon is worth it.