Chapter 3 : Hey Hello

In The Summer

Song Muse of the Day: Infinite - Hey Hello

 

When I met him, I was nine. On a hot summer day, I got lost in the forest that is said to be home for spirits. After running around searching for an exit, I became so tired that I couldn't move. When I started to cry from fear, he appeared before me...

Age twelve (12);

"I'm back!"

The little boy had grown taller but still hold the same mischievious look. In contrast Myungsoo never changed. He was just as he was from last summer, wearing the same clothes and bearing the same expression. Unperturbed by the lack of a welcoming party, Sungyeol proudly flash his middle school uniform at him. "I'm in middle school now." He then proceeded to narrate his yearly experiences. The same thing he does at every start of the summer. Myungsoo would quietly and earnestly listen to the excited Sungyeol. Telling his tales of how school life is and how it was different from elementary school.

Age sixteen (16);

"I'm back!"

Over the course of a year, Sungyeol had gotten much taller although he has yet to loss his chubby cheeks. His eyes still bore the same mischievious glint as he did as a child. With the growth spurt, he was now almost as tall as Myungsoo. Once again he paraded school uniform but this time it's his high school uniform. 

A reminder that he had gotten older. Soon, he would be graduating from high school and shipped off to university. A few more years and he'll graduate as a young adult entering the society, working like those around him for himself and his future family who would in turn continue on their cycle of life. As puberty hits, naturally his topic involves the girls in his class. It wasn't surprising that he would find himself being interested in girls. It was only normal. Of all the girls, the girl named Jihyun sounded to be a rather nice girl from the way he described her. He trailed off to dreamy wishes of a future.

Age twenty-three (23);

"Myung!"

A well natured Sungyeol called out to his friend. He has lost his chubby cheeks and is well taller than his forest friend. His features had gotten mature although he still retains that mischievous look. The young boy that had gotten lost in the forest has now grown into a handsome young man. At a glance, the two young man would have looked as if they're same age friends if stood side by side but Sungyeol knew, he would age into a wrinkly old man but Myungsoo would always maintain his youthful looks. 

Therefore...

"Do you want to follow me?"

It has been on his mind. He had always wanted to take Myungsoo out of the forest. To show him the world beyond the forest boundary. Summer always felt short. He wished to spend more time with his friend. More than just the 31 days under the blistering heat. He wanted to go through all four seasons together. Greedy but he just loves his friend that much. Everyone has that one friend in life with whom you bond over almost immediately and carry on that friendship till the end comes to whichever first. Sungyeol had found his one friend.

Myungsoo who had watched Sungyeol grown through all the summers and the stories he would return with at each start of the summer had made him curious of the human world. The world beyond the forest boundaries and beyond the island. A world where he would have lived if he wasn't abandoned by his parents.

"Sungyeol.. I'm not human." Stating the obvious fact but there was a hint of disappointment in his voice. Sungyeol was however grinning, mouth itching to tell him what he knows.

"It's possible." At the word of possibility, Myungsoo's eyes lit up with a small spark of hope.

Sungyeol's voice lowered into a mere whisper, "You just have to..."