Newbie Life

Negative Numbers

Dara gulped as she stepped inside the school. It was her school now. She glanced back at the school map one last time, folded it up, and walked towards her first class. She didn't know whether tobe nervous or excited.

"Okay, class. Today, we have a new student. Please welcome her," the teacher--who she figured was Mr. Kim--said as he waved her in.

"Hi, everyone!" She chirped. Now she was sounding like herself. "I'm Sandara Park, but just call me Dara. Please take care of me!"

Two girls with friendly smiles waved her over to an empty desk next to them. "Hi Dara! I'm Park Bom," the cute girl said. "And I'm Lee Chaerin, but everyone calls me CL," the one with the bad-girl aura said. Bad-girl or what, she'd got some friends.

"Okay, settle down everyone," Mr. Kim said. Dara sat down and when everyone else was sitting, she took this opportunity to glance around the room. So, there was Bom and CE... CL... she was going to have to ask about that later. There was a group of I'm-so-rich-and-popular-as-heck boys with girls whose eyes wouldn't get off of. There were another group of girls at the back with the same I'm-so-rich-and-popular-as-heck feel with perfect bodies, faces, makeup, and clothes. There were some average, not too standoffish kids scattered here and there, which Dara liked. And then there was this cute emo guy.

He was in the corner, staring at his books with a blank I-don't-actually-care-about-these-books-but-I'll-hide-myself-from-the-world-with-them face, and everyone seemed to find him weird. Bom nudged Dara.

"You looking at that guy? That's Kwon Jiyong. If you find him weird, sure. He's got no friends too, so don't blame him. He's not as bad as they make him seem, though." Bom said.

"How do they make him seem?" Dara asked. "You don't wanna know. They--"

"Park Bom, I understand that you want to make our new student feel welcome, but you should also be a good role model for her. Please refrain from talking during the lesson." Mr. Kim sighed as Bom squirmed in her seat.

How do they make him seem? And what is he like? Boy, I want to know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"C'mon Dara, it's lunch!" CL dragged Dara along to the cafeteria with Bom skipping beside them. Gosh, Dara was going to have to get used to all these people. She kind of dozed off until she realized she was being dragged again outside.

At least there was a nice field with a cool view of a stream, and-- there was a soccer ball that hit her smack in the face. Right, there were people here too.

She did another scan of the crowd--except instead of the class, it was the school.

Anything interesting? A group of girls were laughing and listening to music, chatting their time away. A cluster of older kids were sitting around a pile of books and studying. A herd of girls were clustering around.

And there was-- a flying rotten fruit. It was so brown and squishy that Dara couldn't tell if it was a peach a plum, or a who-knows-what. Her eyes followed it and it fell on someone's head. The emo guy. The emo guy--right, his name was Jiyong--just sat there, wiped a splotch of stuff off of his face, and leaned back against a tree. Back to the emotionless expression.

"Don't worry, Dara. Are you surprised? This goes on everyday. It's newbie life." Bom giggled at Dara's weird expression. It was... disgust.

"But that kid, he's, he--" Dara pointed at a boy who she also saw in her class,"He threw a rotten thinga-ma-fruit at him!"

CL giggled. "Don't mess with that kid, or he's gonna beat you up. He's not one of those know-it-alls whose followers with smash you to pieces, but he'll do it himself. And everyone knows that. He's not popular, but boy, he's got that respect!"

"Gosh, like I give a shiz about his reputation," Dara grumbled while rolling her eyes. And before Bom and CL could stop her, she walked up to the kid and slapped him good and hard.

"HEY YOU! WHAT THE HECK?!" He yelled. "I'm Kim Namjoon, the toughest kid here. And you ain't gonna do a thing!"

"Then, Namjoonie," Dara said in a teasing voice, "If you're so tough, why'd you throw fruit at someone? Surely you have too good and tough of a reputation to do that, eh?"

A crowd of kids started to clutter around. What was this scene? A girl slapping and yelling at Kim Namjoon... Namjoonie?! It's make quite the gossip when she gets all beaten up. They all knew that Namjoonie wasn't going to care that it was a girl. "Hey, that's the new kid!" "Ha, nobody warned her."

CL and Bom just stood at the side, frozen. "Da--" Bom started when CL clapped her hand over and hissed, "He's gonna hurt her worse if you don't shut up, you know."

Jiyong just sat, emotionless but staring at this girl.

Namjoon glared and said, "Then you want a taste of this fruit?" Dara smirked. "Why would I?" she said.

"OMG, I just realized!" Dara squealed. "You're identical twins!" She grabbed the fruit out of Namjoon's hand and held it up next to his face. She turned to the crowd. "Awwwwww, so cute," she cooed. "They look so alike. Rotten hearts, rotten attitudes, ugly--what more?" The school gaped at her.

"B!tch," he hissed and slapped--well, almost slapped--her. She ducked. "Guess I haven't told you about myself," she snickered. "I got no family. I live on my own. And how do you think I survive?"

Within a matter of seconds, she tripped him and locked him down.

"Get off me," Namjoon growled. But Dara wouldn't. "Oh, sorry, Mr. Tough." She grinned, stood up, and placed a foot on his stomach.

The crowd--well, to start with, the emo kid seemed to get some peace on his face. Gosh, he was so different. Then her eyes quickly darted to her friende, CL and Bom. Relief. The rest of the crowd was in awe.

She stepped off him and walked off to her friends. The crowd started whistling and laughing. "Aww, Namjoonie!" "Yeah, Darrie! Wait, Darrie or Dara?" "HAHAHAHA!"

"OMG, Dara, you freaked us out for a moment. We thought you'd end up as cream cheese!" CL hugged Dara. "But, whoaaa, girl, where'd you get those skills?!" Bom shrieked.

Dara glanced back one last time at Namjoon, and Jiyong caught her eye. She scurried up to him and nudged him with her foot. "Hello~" she said.

"Er, you have fruit all over yourself. You--" she got startled when the emo--right, his name was Jiyong--looked up and stared at her. "You kinda need to... um..." she said.

Jiyong sighed. Gosh, here goes another person. Says 'you need help' and walks away. Or at least that's what he thought when Dara left.

Then she came back with a wad of paper towel. And she actually helped him. Jiyong sat there, wondering what she saw that nobody else did, why she'd help a rotten mess like him. Did she not know who he really was? His secret that was hidden to everyone... but everyone treated him as if they knew it.

Still, half of his lips curved up in a smile. "Thanks," he muttered. Dara smiled a charming smile that made the emotionless Jiyong gulp. "You're welcome," she said.

When she walked back to her friends, all she could make out was that they were squealing and jumping on her. "Daraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Bom squealed and CL shut her up again. "Errr, what happened?" Dara asked in confusion.

"Dara, you idiot. Nobody in the tragic history of the whole grand planet Earth ever witnessed such a scene, despite their--" Bom said with great fake emotion. It wasn't fully fake, though.

"Gosh, you make it so dramatic," CL giggled, "But it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Dara was still absolutely confused. What sort of tragic event happened that both her friends would go haywire over? Maybe they were just like this, she decided.

"OMG, we still didn't explain it," Bom said. "But what I was saying was that Jiyong never smiles and nobody ever heard him say a word!"

"But I did," Dara said. "Exactly," CL finished with a wink.

Bom and CL looked at her with a funny look and wriggled their eyebrows. "Heehee, emotionless Jiyong smiled at Dara!"

Dara rolled her eyes. "Gosh, he said one word."

Bom and CL sighed in disappointment. "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww."

Not a big deal. Or so they thought...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

OK, this chapter's just the introduction. Kinda boring, and it's more of an introduction. For the next chapter, I'm just going to get the story to its real setting-- which I have a feeling that some of you've already figured :) , so do you want to see Daragon interact? Just comment (hehe, and that's how I get my comments) ;)

Anyways, this is just my first chapter but there are already 10 subscribers... That's obviously not a lot, but for me it is :) So thanks to everyone who already started supporting my story! Blah, blah, off of the formal talk-- OK, here's the real me.

OMGGGGG, thanks to all my subscribers (jiyong2867, thaz10882, risina, minmei, snottyBrat, Goddess04, Dara23, Pinkysaenghachai, jongkookluv, and ladybug7) and the people who commented (ladybug7, snottyBrat, and risina) for already being here :))))))))))))))

Hey, you wanted the actual me :)
Don't worry, there's going to be so much more action in the next chapter, ICYMI. Thanks to everyone who didn't get bored of my ranting :) and made it to the bottom without dying of boredom! Glad you enjoyed ;)

~Roxanne <3

OK, I'm not gonna end this without saying..................... GO DARAGON!!!!!!!

BYE :)