-III-

Illusions

The pair rushed into the house and drew the blinds, opening all the windows for ventilation. Mina limped to the kitchen and turned the stove off while Sana called for an ambulance.

Mina went back to Sana who was checking the pulse of the professor and his mistress.

'They're alive but their pulses are weak.' Sana said. Mina glanced at her and saw that Sana had paled visibly.

‘Sana? Are you okay?’ Mina asked and kneeled down beside the lady, gently placing a hand on Sana’s arm.

‘I’m fine. Just a little… Shaken up.’ Sana forced a smile and held on to Mina’s hand. ‘Stay here.’

‘I will. I won’t be going anywhere.’ Mina assured Sana and patted the girl’s cold hands. Mina looked back at the two unconscious bodies and sighed.

‘Is it really worth giving up your life for love?’ she asked, looking at the professor and his mistress.


₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Mina and Sana were standing around the corridor outside the ward, waiting for the doctor to complete the assessment.

The door opened and the doctor stepped out.

'Are you their family?' He asked.

'No. We're...' Sana looked at Mina. 'Friends.'

'How is he?' Mina asked.

'He's alright. No permanent damage or harm done to them. They're lucky. Any later and the consequences would have been dire.' He nodded and took his leave.

'Thank you.' They bowed and entered the ward. The professor was sitting upright on his bed with a solemn expression.

'I owe my life to you two. Thank you.' He said gratefully. 'I think I'm the first person to thank a PI for tailing them.'

'What's your plan now?' Mina asked.

'What else can I do? I've been caught. I can't continue down this path anymore can I?'

'This incident will spread like wildfire. The lives of you, your family and your career will be affected. Do you know that?'

'I do. I can never make it up to them.'

'So why did you? You knew from the start that a day like this would come. Why did you do it anyway?' Sana looked at him with pity.

'I greatly misjudged my actions. She was a good student. A quiet, foreign exchange student that didn't have many friends. She would never hesitate to clear her doubts about her work and often approached me for help. That was how we got closer, through spending all that time together. I fought with SeokJin that day and had a few drinks. Lisa was there to comfort me. That period of time was the most wonderful time; it reminded me of my first love. But she told me she was...' he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

'I couldn't believe it. I tried to avoid her because I couldn't face up to what I had done. She texted me yesterday, asking if we could meet up for the last time and that she would leave me alone after that. We had some drinks but she must have spiked my drink and I passed out and... The rest is history.' He explained.

'She didn't have to do that. She's still young; she can always find another man.' Mina muttered and Sana lightly nudged her in the stomach.

'We spoke to Lisa before coming here. She has agreed to go back to her country and raise the kid herself.' Sana informed the professor.

'I can never make it up to her. I'm a sorry excuse for a man.' His voice quivered. 'I'm finished… Finished...'

The two girls exchanged glances and looked at the remorseful man.


₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

'Does Mr. Kim know about it already?' Mina asked.

'I texted him. He is aware. He didn't say what he would do but he thanked us and submitted the payment in full.' Sana sighed behind the wheel.

'You can drive to your house. I'll take over from there.' Mina said.

'Speaking of house, do you need somewhere to live?'

'Uh... no, it's fine, really. I can go to my friend's house but I don't really want to trouble her. Or you.' Mina waved Sana off. 'Your girlfriend wouldn't be happy either.'

'You won't be a bother, count it as a charitable act.'

'It's really alright, I can manage.' Mina smiled.

Sana pursed her lips and frowned but decided to let Mina have it her way. It wouldn't be too nice to force her anyway.

'Good night.'

'See you tomorrow.' Sana smiled and got out of the car. Mina took over the wheel and drove off to a good friend's house. This was her one and only friend that she could actually trust; a true friend.

Knocking on the door twice, it didn't take long before the door swung open and a taller figure crushed her in a tight bear hug.

'Oh my gosh, you're alive! I haven't heard from you in ages!' The girl squeeze Mina and Mina patted her back.

'I won't die without telling you. I'd have the decency of appearing in your dreams if I did.' Mina laughed. 'Hey Chaeng.' She smiled and gave the girl a hug.

'You finally agreed to go with our offer?' Tzuyu said as she led Mina into the living room.

'I'm not moving in but I will stay the night. Can I? Or is this too short a notice?'

'Of course you can! The extra room is always ready for you any time you need it. Besides, we only sleep in one room and the other room is converted into our study. That room will always be available for you.' Tzuyu nodded assertively.

'I just don't want to impose on you two.' Mina drummed her fingers on her lap.

'You never are. We're your friends and that's what friends are for! We'll help you when you're down and be there for you regardless of your status.' Chaeyoung patted Mina's hands.

'My boss was curious as to why I looked the same as the day before so I guess I can stay here for the night.'

'Just tonight?' Tzuyu asked, sounding a little wistful.

'Well... A night or two maybe.' Mina furrowed her brows in thought.

'Sleeping in the car can't be comfortable. Besides, it's not safe.' Chaeyoung threw in her two cents and Mina caved.

'Alright. I'll sleep here but I won't bother you guys during the day.' Mina said.

'That's enough for us. Knowing that you'll be sleeping here safe and sound is all that matters. You can take showers and freshen up too okay? Forget the public baths.' Tzuyu frowned.

'But that would be-'

'Please?'

'Fine.' Mina sighed. She would never be able to convince the younger girl otherwise anyway.

'It's getting late. You should turn in for the night.' Chaeyoung nodded towards the analog clock hanging on the wall. 10:30 pm.

'I will. Good night you two. And thank you again.' Mina bowed and Tzuyu raised a fist playfully.

'If you thank us again I'll really hit you.' She threatened jokingly and Mina chuckled.

'Alright alright.' Mina raised her hands and walked back out to her car to grab a change of clothes before going to take a shower.

She sat on the bed and checked her phone. There was a message from Jeongyeon.

From: Jeongyeon

Yo, awesome job on closing the case! How 'bout we go for some drinks tomorrow night? My treat!

To: Jeongyeon

With Jihyo and Sana?

From: Jeongyeon

Yep. You up?

To: Jeongyeon

Yeah sure :)

From: Jeongyeon

It's set then! See you tomorrow!

To: Jeongyeon

See you. Good night :)

Mina plugged her phone into the charger by the bedside table and lay down. It's been some time since she relaxed on a proper bed.

It didn't take long for her weariness to drag her consciousness into the land of dreams.

 



'See you tonight.' Tzuyu smiled as Mina left their house.

'See you.' Mina nodded with a grin and left.

Her phone rang as she was about to open her car door.

'Hello?'

'The firm is closed for today. Just meet at the bar later at night.' Sana said.

'Oh okay. Uh, are you alright? You sound a little... unnerved.' Mina asked.

'I'm fine. See you tonight.' And with that, she hung up before Mina could even say goodbye.

'That's weird...' Mina tapped her chin. She didn't know Sana for long but she could tell something was off.

Her phone buzzed again; this time, it was Jihyo.

'Hello?'

'Hey Minari. You free?'

'Yeah I guess.'

'Wanna go for lunch together?'

'Sure.'

'Cool. I'll meet you at Times Square Mall in about an hour?'

'Yep. See you there.'

 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

 

Mina thought she had come too early but saw Jihyo leaning over the railing, looking down at the levels below.

‘Hey. You’re early.’ Mina greeted as she walked up to Jihyo.

‘Hi. You’re early too. What do you feel like eating?’

‘Anything is fine really.’

‘It’s on me.’ Jihyo smiled but Mina shook her head.

‘I should pay for myself. I’m not completely broke anyway. Come; let’s go have some Japanese food.’ Mina grinned and placed an arm around Jihyo’s shoulders.

They got a seat and placed their orders. While waiting for their food, Mina decided to ask Jihyo about Sana.

‘Is Sana alright?’ Mina asked carefully and the girl nodded.

‘Why?’

‘She sounded a little off when she called me earlier.’

‘Ah, she’s probably at her friend’s house.’ Jihyo said after checking the date on her phone. ‘Do you know what happened to her two years ago?’

Mina shook her head cluelessly.

‘She and said friend was involved in a gas explosion two years back. The friend was hospitalized for a few months from excessive smoke inhalation and some minor head trauma of some sort but Sana was unscathed. Police investigated the matter but concluded that it was simply a faulty gas pipe that was ignited by a spark which caused the fire but Sana thinks that there’s more to that.

This friend of hers was involved in the underworld for some time due to her inability to repay her loans but she finally made it out after Sana called the cops on them. From then on, she was blacklisted and Sana strongly suspects that it was the mafia behind it. An attempt to assassinate her friend.’ Jihyo explained.

‘Underworld? That sounds really serious.’ Mina’s brows creased.

‘Her friend didn’t really have a choice either. She had to pay off her own debts for her dad’s medical bills but she and her girlfriend aren’t exactly the richest people in town so…’ Jihyo shrugged with a sigh.

‘So that’s why she was shaken up when we were in that house. The suicide-by-gas must have reminded her of that incident. She was insistent that I remained next to her. Maybe it was so that should anything happen, she could protect me.’ Mina leaned back in her seat and tilted her head. ‘It all makes sense.’

‘Sana is set on finding out the truth as to what happened. After all, she or her friend could have died if they didn’t make it out in time. Or worst, the both of them could have died.’

‘It was an apartment block? Office?’ Mina asked.

‘If my memory serves me right, it should be an office building. They were there to pick up some documents when it happened.’

‘What kind of documents?’

‘That, I’m not sure. You’d have to ask Sana yourself. Why? You want to help her solve it? Or are you interested in her?’ Jihyo wiggled her eyebrows and Mina scoffed.

‘I’m not. I can’t be curious?’ Mina huffed and crossed her arms.

‘Sure, whatever you say.’ Jihyo sang smugly and Mina scrunched her nose in annoyance.

Their food came and they tucked in over some light conversation.

‘How about you? Sana told me not to bring this up to you but I’m just curious to know your side of the story. You don’t seem like a bad person anyway. If you don’t want to tell me that’s fine.’ Jihyo asked when they were done eating as she bit on her straw.

‘My little incident? I was dating this girl for about five years. We both shared an interest in photography so we clicked really well. We were actually engaged as well and had plans to get married soon.’ Mina sighed.

‘I’m sorry to hear.’

‘It’s okay. I had to leave to Amsterdam for a one week photoshoot. She even sent me to the airport… I bought some cute knickknacks for us and was pretty excited to give them to her as well as to finally see her again. I came back and saw her outside on the patio but she wasn’t the only one. There was another guy with her. They didn’t see me at all; I watched them laugh as they played around outside and she hugged him. That was when she saw me. I fought with them both but she didn’t even say anything to defend herself. I never got a sorry.’

‘How could she do that? How did those articles come about anyway?’ Jihyo asked. Her eyebrows were furrowed and she looked highly disappointed at what Mina had said.

‘It was the guy. His parents were rich. Really rich. If you have money, you can get anything done. They bribed the tabloids to publish the story they spun and with a little cash slipped under the table, anything could be done. He ruined me just like that. And he… he took my knee as well.’ Mina shook her head and looked down at the now empty table.

‘Your knee? What do you mean?’

‘He paid someone to get back at me. My left knee had to be saved with a few screws.’ Mina said and rubbed her knee.

‘What? That’s too much! Did you call the cops?’

‘Like they would be able to get him. He’s bail his out of jail.’ Mina scoffed. ‘Whatever. It’s done anyway. My anger won’t change anything.’

‘You’re really a good person. If I were you I’d break his legs.’ Jihyo scowled.

‘Then I’d be in jail. Come on; let’s take a walk around before going to the bar. Split the bill?’ Mina got up from her seat.

‘Sure.’ Jihyo nodded and they walked to the counter.