Final

Happy Valentine's Day, Junmyeon

A/N: I hope you enjoy whatever this is. Pardon any grammatical or spelling error.

 

Kim’s Resident

Little Junmyeon is watching television when he saw an ad about Valentine’s Day comes out. Being a little curious boy that he is, he shifts his attention to his umma who’s reading a magazine by his side.

“Umma, what is Va…Va…Valen..,”

His umma smiles at his cute stutter before she replies “it’s Valentine’s Day, Myeonie.”

Junmyeon’s little mouth is slightly ajar at his umma’s words. “What’s a Valentine’s Day umma?”

“It’s a day where we give present to…” Junmyeon’s umma finds it hard to explain to whom the present should be given.

Junmyeon urged his Umma to continue. Deep in his mind, he is wondering why his umma can answer the seemingly simple question from him.

His umma on the other hand tries to find the proper words to answer him. “We give present to someone that we like on that day,” she finally continues.

“Someone…that we like?” Junmyeon mirrors his umma words with slightly confuse face.

“Yes, it can be anyone. You can give the present to your friends, umma or appa. You can even give one to your teacher,” his umma explains further.

Junmyeon is beaming at the word ‘friend’ mentioned. A certain Chinese Canadian boy’s image flashes on his mind.

“Friends? Then, can I give a present to Yifan, umma?”

The beautiful lady smiles knowingly and nods her head. “Of course Myeonie. What do you want to give him?”

Junmyeon goes silent for a while. He leans his back on the couch, cross his arms on his chest and taps his chin, thinking deeply. Then he stands up and pace around the TV area while pouting cutely. One moment he will frown and at other moment, he shakes his head, disagreeing with his own idea. It is an internal conflict!

Junmyeon didn’t realize that his umma had sneakily snapped his photo while he does the thinking. It will definitely goes into the family’s album in a matter of time.

Junmyeon’s pout is more apparent now that he can’t seem to find the perfect present for his best friend. It is by far the hardest thing for him to figure out. He wants Yifan to be happy with his present. He keeps his pout and frowning some more. His umma finds it amusing and chuckles a little.

“Is it like giving present during birthday umma?” Junmyeon suddenly asks.

 

“Yes, but people usually gives chocolate, flowers or teddy bears. Tell me Myeonie, where did you saw the word Valentine’s?”

“From the TV umma,” Junmyeon walks to his umma and take his seat back.

“And what did the TV show?”

Junmyeon’s round eyes grew bigger. “It shows an ad…of a…CHOCOLATE! umma, now I know what I should give Yifan. I’m going to give him a box of chocolates. He loves chocolate so much! Isn't that good umma?”

“It is indeed a good present for Valentine’s Day, Myeonie.”

“Can we go buy them, umma? I want to get Yifan a big box of chocolate. Like the one in TV.” Junmyeon spreads his arms to show how big he wants the box to be.

“Yes we can. But Valentine’s Day is still one week away. I’ll take you to buy the chocolate two days before Valentine’s. So that the chocolates still tasty and fresh when we give them to Yifan. Is that alright with you Myeonie?”

“Alright, umma. As long as I can get the chocolate.” Junmyeon smiles widely, thinking about the joy of choosing chocolate for Yifan. It gets him all giddy and he can’t wait for that to happen. He also decided to make a card for Yifan and he’s gonna need a lot of stickers for that card. He’ll ask his umma to take him to that shop where they sell cute stickers that he likes so much. He grins at the thought and his umma can only shakes her head.


Wu’s Resident

Just like little Junmyeon, little Yifan is also curious about Valentine’s Day. He asks his mama while they are in the kitchen, preparing lunch.

“Mama, what’s a Valentine’s Day?”

His mama smiles sweetly after he asked the question and simply said “it’s the day you celebrate with the one you like.”

“And what do we do on that day?”

“We give present to them,”

“Like a birthday present?”

“Yes, it is pretty much like a birthday present. Do you remember when papa gave me a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolate last year, FanFan?”

Yifan blinks a few times before he nods.

“That was during Valentine’s Day my dear,”

Yifan nods understandingly at his mama’s words. Suddenly, an image of a certain boy with apple cheeks and fair skin displays in front of his eyes. Yifan grins when he thought about the boy. He will surely get something for his best friend this coming Valentine’s.

“Can I give something to Junmyeon, mama?”

Mrs Wu smiles knowingly before nodding her head. “Of course you can FanFan. What do you want to give him?”

“Flowers! I want to give him cute flowers because he’s cute. Do you know that he looks like a blooming flower when he smiles mama?” asked Yifan.

“Yes, I know he’s cute when he smiles. So, what kind of flower do you want to give him?”

“I don’t know mama. Can you help me? I want cute flower like Junmyeon (when he actually thinks that no flowers can match Junmyeon’s cuteness).

“Do you want to go to the florist after lunch? We can order some flowers and pick it up during Valentine’s Day,”

“Can we really do that mama?” Yifan’s eyes are glimmering at his mama’s words.

“Yes. Now go watch the TV. I’ll call you when lunch is ready,”

“Then we’ll go out!” Yifan is grinning from ear to ear and make a run to the living room.

After lunch, as his mama promised him, they go to the florist to look for cute flowers for Junmyeon. Yifan decided to look for white flower, to match Junmyeon’s fair skin. Yifan suddenly grins at the image of a blushing Junmyeon when he receives the flower. Junmyeon will definitely look adorable like that and that is something that Yifan looks forward the most.

Yifan’s eyes went wild in search for cute white flower. He found what he wanted at the corner of the shop. The flower is colourful, but the white one caught his attention. Yifan immediately calls out his mama and pointed to the white flower.

“That is a perfect choice FanFan. I’ll go make the order at the counter. You wait for me here, alright?”

Yifan nods enthusiastically but his eyes are still on the flowers. He reads the name of the flower, but he can’t really pronounce it so he just shrugs it off. He will ask his mama later (it’s actually anemone).

They left the florist with Yifan jumping up and down asking his mama about the flower’s name and how many days left before Valentine’s Day. He even urges his mama to call Junmyeon’s umma and set a play date during Valentine’s Day.

And Yifan secretly wanted his first Valentine’s Day with Junmyeon to be perfect.


Valentine’s Day

Junmyeon was putting his pink sweater when he heard the bell on his door rings. He smiles widely as he puts on the last button of his sweater. He runs out of his room and down the stairs to the main door. He sees Yifan and Mrs Wu are just about to take off their jackets.

“Good afternoon Yifan!” Junmyeon said cheerfully.

Yifan looks up from the door and grinning when he sees Junmyeon in his white and pink outfit. Junmyeon looks extra cute that day (but then, when did he not?). Yifan became utterly frozen at his spot that he forgot to say his greeting to Junmyeon.

“Don’t you want to say ‘good afternoon’ to Junmyeon, Yifan?” asked his mama.

Yifan finally realize that he hasn’t uttered a single word to Junmyeon. So he resort to say “hello, Junmyeon,” while smiling widely, his adorable gummy smile adorning his face.

Junmyeon beams at Yifan and pulls the latter to the living room. He makes Yifan sits on one of the couch before he runs off to the dining table. He grabs a photo book of himself and Yifan , made by his mother. It was a collection of pictures from the moment they first met each other up until recently.

Junmyeon shows the book to Yifan and Yifan excitedly opens it. The book is quite thick and Mrs Kim decorated the book with some stickers here and there. Yifan smiles at the pictures presented in front of him. There is a picture of him, half- because Junmyeon decided to hide his shirt that resulted him chasing Junmyeon all around his house.

Junmyeon giggles cutely when he points to a particular picture of Yifan’s face smeared with cake. “Look at this Yifan. Isn’t this from last year? You looked so cute,” Junmyeon is smiling from ear to ear; oblivious to the fact that Yifan is blushing when Junmyeon said that he’s cute.

They turn the page after page of the photo book. The last page is a collection of pictures from two weeks ago. Their mothers had set up a picnic at the nearby park. The pictures show them running around the park, munching their food and there is even a picture of them taking a nap under a tree.

“I like this picture the best Myeonie. You look like a hamster when you eat. You remember the hamster that Miss Park showed us before, right? You…you…look cute.”

“Really FanFan?”

“Yes, you’re so cute Myeonie. You always are,”

Junmyeon’s cheeks are tainted with pink colour and Yifan noticed that. He was about to speak more, but Junmyeon’s umma already told them that the lunch is ready.

Their lunch is a fairly good affair. Junmyeon is being chatty as always and Yifan would grin at whatever his best friend says. He’s always like that (and will always are). He’s not exactly a chatty boy like Junmyeon. So, he is either smile, grins or laugh at Junmyeon’s words. Their mothers are occasionally exchanging smiles and a knowing look. Both mother had secretly hope that their friendship will turn into something even more beautiful when they grow up.

“Umma, can I show it to Yifan now?” asked Junmyeon shortly after lunch. They are sitting on the living room, enjoying the cake that Mrs Wu brought for them.

“Of course Junmyeon. Go take it, and don’t forget the card in your study room,”

Junmyeon nods and run off to get his present for Yifan. Yifan on the other hand looks at Mrs Kim with puzzled look. “Oh, just wait Yifan. Junmyeon got something for you.”

Junmyeon comes back with a big red box decorated with gold ribbon and a card in his hands. He walks straight to where Yifan is seated and grin before shoving the box and the card to Yifan.

“This is for you FanFan. Happy Valentine’s Day!”

“For me?”

“Yes! Open it.” Junmyeon says excitedly.

Yifan immediately takes the ribbon of the box and unwrap the gift carefully. His eyes went wide when he saw a box of chocolate that he likes so much.

“Mama, it’s a box of my favourite chocolate! Junmyeon, how did you know I like this chocolate?”

“You brought this chocolate to school few weeks ago and you said it’s your favourite. So I choose this one for you,” said Junmyeon.

Yifan shows his gummy smile that Junmyeon likes so much. Junmyeon mirrors the same expression as he’s happy that Yifan likes his present.

“Can I eat it, mama?”

“Yes, but you can only eat two for now FanFan. You ate a slice of cake just now. You can eat some more when we reach home later,”

Yifan immediately take a piece of chocolate at his mama’s words. He eats the chocolate silently, enjoying the bittersweet taste of his favourite snack.

“This is delicious Myeon. It tastes better than I used to have. Here, have one too!” Yifan shoves the chocolate into Junmyeon’s mouth out of eagerness. Junmyeon munches the chocolate slowly and smile when the chocolate melted in his mouth.

“It is yummy!” And Yifan’s smile after that is enough to make him happy.

“Yifan, I see that Junmyeon also prepared a card for you. Don’t you want to open the card?”

Yifan only remembers about the existence of the card when his mama reminded him. He immediately opens the card. He sees a picture of him and Junmyeon and some neat writing (for a six year old boy, of course). Under the picture, Junmyeon wrote ‘Junmyeon & Yifan = FRIENDS FOREVER”. Yifan smiles widely reading the words. There are also stickers, a lot of them, decorating the card. There are Pororo stickers, cat stickers, cute dragon stickers and a few Pokemon stickers as well.

“Junmyeon, this is beautiful,”

“Do you like the card Yifan?” Junmyeon asks nervously.

“I love it! Thank you Myeonie!” Yifan lunge forward and hug Junmyeon tightly.

“Yifan, don’t you have something for Junmyeon too?”

Yifan immediately let Junmyeon go and run towards the front door. His Mama put the bouquet of flowers on the table near the door when they arrived few hours ago. He takes the flower and hid it behind his back before walks up to the living room again.

When he returns to the living room, he grins sheepishly and show the flower bouquet to Junmyeon when he is standing right in front of the cute boy.

“This flower is for you Myeonie. It’s white and cute like you are,”

Junmyeon blushes at the comparison but take the flower bouquet from Yifan’s hand. He stares at the bouquet of white flower in awe because it is indeed a bunch of cute flowers.

“What’s the name of this flower, Yifan?”

Yifan looks at his mama at Junmyeon’s question because he forgot the name of the flower…again.

“It’s anemone, my dear, “ Mrs Wu provides the answer for Yifan.

“Do…do you like it Junmyeon?” Yifan mirrors the same expression as Junmyeon’s when the latter asked about the card just now.

“Yes! I like it. It’s beautiful and cute. Thank you so much Yifan!”

Yifan can’t stop the smile that blooming on his face at Junmyeon’s reaction and can’t help but to hug the said boy again.

Mrs Kim decided that it was the moment to be captured. She takes her camera and snaps some pictures of Junmyeon and Yifan hugging. Then she asks both boys to pose with their presents for each other.

Later that night, with the help of his mother, Junmyeon puts the flowers in a vase. He puts the flowers at his bedside table. Junmyeon falls asleep staring at the cute white flowers decorating his room. A smile is blooming as he closed his eyes.

Meanwhile, at the Wu’s resident, Yifan eats a few more of the chocolates. Then, he goes to sleep while holding the card given by Junmyeon. He secretly anticipating next year’s Valentine’s Day because he wants to give something that’s even more special to Junmyeon. He also secretly hopes that Junmyeon will make him more beautiful card for next year.




Little did Yifan knows that Junmyeon’s attention will be divided between Yifan and a new boy who came into their lives, Yixing, for next year’s Valentine’s Day.

 

 

 

 

Word count: 2565 words