Chapter 1

If You

 

The day was ending and I didn’t really have anything to do so I entered a nearby cafe. There was a soft murmur from the few couples who were making disgusting googly eyes at each other. I don’t have anything against them except, well, everything. I don’t need a man. I am a strong independent woman. Anyways.

 

I approached the counter only to face an annoyed cashier. I understand she must have interacted with many frustrating customers but why is she directing it at me. My gosh. I ordered my caramel macchiato and hoped at least that would cheer me up. I took a seat on the side of the store with a view of the city life outside.

 

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, my order was called up. It’s about time. With a heaved sigh, I stood up but right at that moment, some fool got up and bumped into me. I would’ve been fine if the guy had just apologized and left. Instead, he got his Americano all over my white shirt. What the frick.

 

“Here, take this,” he said as he shoved a bunch of napkins my way. I looked at him scornfully, “What the hell am I supposed to do with this? I’m wearing a white shirt for goodness sake.”

 

That’s when I realized. I was wearing a white shirt… which becomes see through when it becomes wet. Oh my gosh.

 

The guy must’ve realized this too because his face had become red.

 

I glared at him. “Where do you think you’re looking?”

 

“Oh, uh, here take my hoodie,” he replied awkwardly.

 

Finally, I took a moment to process his presence. He looked close to 6 feet tall with kind of a chic vibe. He was wearing a hat that cast a shadow across his face making it hard to see, but I could somehow tell he was good looking.

 

I shook my head. What was I just doing? The guy freaking poured coffee on me and I was analyzing him? I am a strong independent woman. I really need to remind myself this all the time...

 

He suddenly seemed to realize I was speaking informally, despite the fact that he was the cause of my embarrassment. “How old are you even?”

 

“19, do you have a problem with that?”

 

“I guess we’re friends then because same.”

 

I rolled my eyes. The guy thought we could be friends even after all this. I mean I know I’m from New York but I doubt people become friends over these kinds of incidents.