Vernon Choi

Diamonds in the Rough

You waited for around half a year for Vernon’s break. You hardly saw him in those six months, except when they went on music shows or posted something online. It’s like you were just a fan. Which you weren’t, not really--to you, he was still your dorky childhood playmate.

A playmate that you sorta-kinda-maybe like.

So when he came home that day, you were in the living room of the Choi’s place faster than Sofia could run, and you almost knocked him over in surprise.

“Dude!” he yelped, taking a step back and clutching his chest.

You chuckled. “You’re finally here!”

“Why are you so noisy…” he whined as he pushed past you, a little heartlessly. He gave Sofia a mere pat on the shoulder and then retreated into his room without another word. You shrugged off his behavior and figured it was just because he was really tired.

“Pfft, whatever,” you said to no one in particular. Then you turned to Sofia and said, “You wanna hang out tomorrow?”

--

The next day, you were over early at the Choi household. Luckily, Vernon was already up and having his morning coffee. You decided to tone it down a bit and approached him calmly.

“Good morning, Hansol,” you said, using his familiar name as you sat across him on the dining table.

“You came early,” he commented.

“Do you wanna hang out today?” you asked, then before he could reply you added, “come on, I missed you!”

He shrugged. “Let’s do that, then.”

After breakfast, you both headed out for a walk. It was quiet for a while and it seemed like he had no intention of talking first so you said, “How are you?”

“I’m fine, uh…” he mumbled. “Just busy, and… Yeah.”

You chuckled and said, “What was that? You didn’t sound very sure of yourself just now.”

“I mean, yeah, I was really busy and tired most of the time,” he said with a little more resolve.

You shrugged. “Alright. Hang on, where are we going?”

“I dunno, this was your idea.”

Your shoulders slumped in disappointment. You missed the guy so much and waited for that day for six months, but he comes home with almost no regard for you and you were starting to feel frustrated at his lack of enthusiasm. Did he really not miss you?

“What’s wrong with you?” you asked directly.

He stopped and looked at your weirdly. “What do you mean?”

“You didn’t really want to go out today, did you?”

“What are you talking about? I’m here, aren’t I? With you.”

“Why are you so half-hearted, then?”

“What ‘half-hearted’? I already went out with you, what else do you want?”

You bit your lip and stopped yourself from cursing. You didn’t feel like going out with him anymore. “Never mind, let’s just go home.”

“Why on earth did we go out in the first place?”

You leveled your eyes with his and asked, “Tell me the truth. You don’t miss me, did you? At all?”

“What are you talking about, of course I missed you!”

“No you don’t, and never mind. Don’t follow me anymore. I want to go home by myself.” At that, you turned and left without looking back. He didn’t even try to call you back.

--

Later that night, you were still in bad terms with Vernon, but you felt sadder than angry right then. You couldn’t expect him to be so enthusiastic about going out with you – it’s not like he’s into you or anything. After all these years, you remained as a friend to him.

Suddenly, your phone went off and his name was on the screen. Begrudgingly, you picked it up.

“What?”

“Do you have time?”

You looked at the clock on your bedside table. It read 10 PM. “Depends. Why?”

“Come out for a bit. I’m in front of your house.”

You peeked through your curtains and sure enough, he was standing there with his back turned to you. Feeling a little irked, but mostly curious, you threw on a jacket and headed out. He turned when he heard you coming, and when you saw his face, it looked a little friendlier than it did that morning.

“Why are you here?” you asked.

“Come with me, I have something to show you.” Then he suddenly took your hand and led you down the street. It was still pretty early for the people who live in your area, but it was dark enough that nobody recognized the boy beside you. He was in a nondescript black cap and a dark blue hoodie that it would be really hard to recognize him as Vernon of Seventeen.

“Where are we going?” you asked exasperatedly.

“Just keep walking and we’ll get there.”

He led you to the streets and through some alleys until you both got to the neighborhood park. You had fond memories of that park where you, Vernon, and Sofia played when you were children. Suddenly, he stopped and you walked right against his back. Then he turned to face you with his hands behind his back and a curious smile on his face.

“Do you remember this place?” he asked.

“Of course. I’m more surprised that you remember.”

He ignored the jab. “Okay then, do you remember something I promised you when we were like, 10 years old?”

You frowned. “My memory doesn’t go that far.”

He then took his hands from his back and you saw that he was holding a cute rose quartz pouch that you recognized as the gift you sent him for his birthday. You had conflicted feelings. Is he going to return it to you because he didn’t like it? Is it symbolic that you are forever friend-zoned? He turned the pouch upside down and onto his palm fell a diamond earring, very much like the one you gave him.

“Are you really giving it back to me?” you asked aloud, aghast.

“What? No! I have the one you gave me here,” he said, and then pulled his hair back to reveal the earring on his earlobe. Then he placed the earring on your hand.

“What’s this for, then?”

Aish you really forgot…” he muttered. “I promised you a ring when I first come home after becoming an idol, didn’t I?”

You looked down at the earring on your palm. “This isn’t--”

“That isn’t a ring, I know, you smart aleck,” he said as he reached up and ruffled your hair. “But it’s the closest I can give you to a ring because people will wonder if I suddenly wear a ring other than my Seventeen one. I just wanted us to have something only we have.”

You paused. Wait, is he confessing right now? You looked up at him and the look on his face was so tender that you almost forgot his behavior this morning. “What’s all this, when you could barely walk with me this morning?”

“I was stressed because I still wasn’t able to get that earring by then, other than me being tired. I didn’t think I could give it to your today and I didn’t know when I would be able to. And you were in our house before I could prepare myself to see you, I grew defensive.”

You frowned. “So let me make this clear because we’re not the type of people to dilly-dally. Do you like me? Like, more than being your best friend. Like, like-like – “

He rolled his eyes, then suddenly he leans forward and placed a kiss on your forehead. Then he said in a low voice, “Does that answer your question?”

 


 

I could swear I finished writing all the oneshots already, I wondered why the members weren't complete yet...

Anywho! I'm really sorry for those who were waiting! There's only Vernon and Chan left, so I hope you enjoyed this one, and Chan is coming right up.