Library Research

Vesalis

Irene was in the vast library sat at a table surrounded by a variety of books, she wanted answers and her mother wasn’t telling her anything about what she had found on Vesalis. Anything she had found she would only tell Suho and a few other trust-worthy soldiers, the other kingdoms were also sharing any useful information they had come across leaving Irene with only gossip from the servants. Irene groaned in to her book at this point the servants knew more than her, aren’t royals meant to know more than servants. Irene twisted her head from left to right, she hadn’t spoken to herself that wasn’t her voice in her head then who was it? Unless it was that strange girl from last night, but… that’s crazy she would need magic.

“Maybe I should stop searching on Vesalis and try magic.” Irene thought out-loud walking around the library picking up the few books on magic that they had. Magic was seen as a witches’ trait, anyone possessing the trait would be sentenced to death. However during the last war the kingdom of Luxor and Ares had attempted to find magic with no luck, nobody knows what the kingdoms had found apart from the current kings and queens and they dared not speak of it to anyone. Rumours had circulated that the kingdoms were offered a deal of some sort with a mage, others say there was nothing there, however one thing was certain once they had left the cave they were even more despiteful of magic as they succumbed to weakness.

“What weakness?” Irene questioned as she finished reading the small book that entailed the latest adventures of magic documented, it wasn’t recent but it was all she had. The second book she read entailed stories of places where magic had supposedly resided along with extravagant tales of individuals who had dared to enter only ever returning if they were strong of heart.

“Strong of heart? So what, they would have had to train their heart with cardio and muscle training.” Irene said sarcastically as she glared at the book deciding it was best if she stretched and took a break away from this search, Irene went around the library putting the large stack of books away.

“Why do you have so many books?” Yeri questioned startling the older girl who was on the ladder.

“You startled me.” Irene stated putting a hand over her racing heart as she took a deep breath causing Yeri to chuckle. “I was just doing some light reading.” With that Irene climbed down the ladder and walked back towards the table to put the last stack of books away.

“This is light? We never read so much in a year.” Yeri said as she watched Irene put away the books effortlessly knowing exactly where each book rested.

“You never read this much, on the other hand I do and we should change that, here this is a good book read that by tomorrow and tell me how you find it.” Irene said passing a novel to Yeri who looked at her older sister in shock.

“But this is at-least 300 pages.” Yeri stated in shock.

“And?” Irene questioned looking over her shoulder.

“And you want it read by tomorrow, that’s too short I can’t even read 100 pages in a day.” Yeri informed flailing the book in the air.

“Well you can learn to now.” Irene said lifting an eyebrow grinning as she listened to Yeri whine about how unfair it was. “Now I’m hungry I wonder what the chefs have cooked.” However before Irene left she looked back over at the pouty Yeri. “You should really get started on that book.”

“I thought you were my nice kind sister.” Yeri whined as she watched Irene walk away laughing at the younger girl.

Dinner had taken place in silence the only sounds coming from the cutlery and light chewing sounds, eating with one another had become a strenuous ordeal as it seemed the queen and prince were hell bent on revenge that they had even brought this attitude with them to the dining table. Irene and Yeri were not allowed to speak in this matter so the two girls remained quiet, this was the only time Irene was able to gather information about Vesalis it seemed her mother or Suho were not thinking of magic. Irene was aware of the magic that was spoken of in the dungeon cell due to one of her eavesdropping moments, but it slightly irked her how Suho or her mother didn’t believe it could be a possibility. Once dinner had finished everyone decided to retire to their rooms, Irene sat on her bed and simply stared outside of the window looking up at the stars. They always seem so much more beautiful outside than behind the glass, waiting a sufficient amount of time Irene sneaked outside and sat at the bench in the gardens. Why won’t mother or Suho tell me anything? Why do I gain my information from gossip in the caste walls?

“Aren’t royals meant to know more than servants?” A strange but familiar voice asked Irene’s eye’s bulged out as the mysterious presence startled her.

“That sentence.” Irene stated looking over at the person standing next to her, it was the girl from yesterday. “You were in my head today.”

“I’m flattered you were thinking of me.” The girl said laughing, Irene couldn’t help but smile as she heard the sound temporarily forgetting the red bloody eyes that look to have seen darkness in even the brightest of moments, the eyes that belonged to people who wanted to harm five kingdoms and killed her father.

“You spoke to me in my head how?” Irene asked her voice becoming hard changing the atmosphere of the conversation.

“Magic.” The girl replied, as much as Irene wanted to refute the matter she couldn’t, she believed it especially after the way the girl disappeared yesterday. “Mind if I take a seat?”

“Tell me why I shouldn’t call the guards first, after all your people did kill my father.” Irene questioned looking up at the girl who looked back at her with sympathy. Sympathy? But why would she look at me like that? She’s one of them.

“If you wanted to you would have by now why you haven’t I don’t know, but I can assure you I had no hand in the demise of your father or the harm of any kingdom.” The girl replied sincerely, and with this sincerity for some reason Irene trusted her without knowing the girls motives, maybe it was the fact that she felt the same sense of familiarity when she had first laid eye on her. Irene simply patted the seat beside her and the taller girl happily sat by her side.  

“Then why are you here?” Irene questioned looking over at the girl.

“Did you know your castle has the best view of the stars in the whole kingdom, sitting by the fountain ad looking at the stars is wonderful indeed however on the northwest wing there is a passageway which leads to the roof. That is the best place to overlook the stars and the kingdom, truly befitting of a queen as of yourself.” The girl replied leaving Irene lightly perplexed at the answer, so she comes here to star gaze? “I must leave now, it was a pleasure meeting you again your majesty.”

“What’s your na..” Before Irene could finish, the mysterious girl disappeared away in smoke again. “Stupid girl, stupid smoke, stupid magic, hasn’t she heard of manners?” Irene mumbled as she snuck back to her room avoiding the guards, thoughts of the stranger invaded her mind once again as she closed her eyes and fell on top of her bed. Don’t think of me too much a voice said causing Irene to bolt up in her bed, there was only one person who would speak to her in her head, the girl with no manners.

“Urgh get out of my head I just want to sleep and learn some manners you shouldn’t sneak up on a person, or just pop up in their head.” Irene said lying back down and closing her eyes, attempting to think of anything but the magical girl.