Almost

Coward
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

 

It was 2:00 in the afternoon, an absolute downtime for the restaurateur when she received an unexpected visit. “Hayi!”, Mrs. Lee beams at the daughter she rarely sees and immediately hugs her. She tells the staff of the restaurant to prepare food for her daughter while they catch up. “How have you been?”, she asks once they were seated.

 

“I’m okay, Mom.”, Hayi smiles to reassure her mother. “I asked for a day off. I wanted to eat your food. Can you cook something good for me?”

 

“Of course!”, her mom says. “I’ll make something delicious. You’ve lost weight again. I told you not to go overboard with your weight loss!”

 

“It’s fine, Omma. I still eat at the company.”, Hayi defends. “I work out double, instead.” Her mother was satisfied with that and disappeared to the kitchen. Hayi the television and looked for an entertainment show. She was getting some water when she heard a familiar beat and turned to see him. It was Mino’s new song. Mino and Bobby were part of a rap duo now, a subunit of iKon and Winner. She was bobbing her head to the beat. She’s been listening to Body over and over again. She admits that she actually loved the song however, the music video always made her cringe so she hasn’t watched it in full.

 

 “Omo! Look at him!”, Hayi finds the source of the voice and sees her Imo, her mother’s sister who has been helping her mom at the restaurant these days. Hayi greets her and she hugs her niece but her eyes were glued to Mino. “That guy is so handsome!”

 

“I work with him, Imo.”, Hayi says with a grin. She would glance once in a while at the television.

 

“Yes, he’s a very nice boy.”, her Imo says and Hayi looked at her. “I didn’t know he could wave like that. That’s too y! Idols these days tsk.” Her Imo shakes her head but she was still watching. Hayi laughed and noticed that she was carrying a bowl. “O, here’s some soup while you wait for lunch.” Her Imo sets the bowl in front of Hayi then sits opposite her, all the while still watching the television. “He comes here, you know.”

 

In her surprise, Hayi forgot to swallow the soup properly and began coughing. She immediately got some water and drank. “Swallow your food properly, Hayi-yang.”, her Imo reprimands.

 

“Imo, what do you mean he comes here?”, Hayi asked.

 

“He comes here to eat!”, her Imo says. “That’s how I know he’s really handsome. The first time, he came here with his family. He was paying when he noticed your picture and your mother said that you were his daughter. He introduced himself and said that you were in the same company then she gave him a discount. Your mother always gives him extra serving too. He frequently visits that he came here more than you do now.”

 

“Really?”

 

“I think he’s addicted to your mom’s cooking.”, her Imo laughed. “Are you friends?”

 

“Yes, I think we are.”, Hayi says and remembers that time they recorded a song together. If she was honest with herself, she’d say she even missed him.

 

“But remember this, Hayi-yang, men like him are bad news. Trust me! I can say from experience because I dated a lot of guys like him. They will win you over with cliché pick up lines and promise the world to you but when they finally get you to bed, they will just disappear like smoke and abandon you.”

 

“What in the world are you telling my daughter?”, Hayi’s mother came to her rescue. “Go back to the kitchen and make yourself useful. She smiled at her daughter and watched her eat. “Don’t believe everything your aunt tells you. She’s a spinster for a reason, but its not because she dated a lot of guys like Mino.”

 

“So you’ve talked?”, Hayi asks.

 

“We did.”, her mother nods. “He tells me how you’ve been so far. He shows me pictures of you at the studio and reassures me that you’re all right. I think he’s a nice guy, Hayi.” Mrs. Lee says and smiles at her daughter. “And he cares a lot about you.”

End of flashback

 

It was in the middle of summer, and she was wearing her usual cap and mask to hide who she is, standing outside her mother’s restaurant, watching her talking lively with Mino. The guy was showing his phone, and Hayi thought that maybe it would be pictures of her again, to her own mother. Her mother looked happy and she was even clapping her hands with glee. Hayi wanted so much to barge in and interfere with their mother-and-son bonding time but she chose not to. Instead, she turned around and knocked on the car.

 

“Take me back to the studio.”, Hayi tells the driver and her manager.

 

“I thought you were hungry?”, the latter asked as soon as the singer enters the car and slams the door.

 

“I’m not hungry, just take me back to the studio or the company or wherever!”

 

 

~0~

 

 

In a cold conference room, four men were seated on the leather high backed chairs circled around a big round table while a loud voice of a girl from the speaker phone echoed all over the room.

 

“Hello, Gray! I need you to be my girlfriend right now!!!”

 

“Uhm, Hayi, now is not the best time.”

 

“And why the hell not?!?!? I’ve been your hommie since forever!”

 

“I know, I know…”, Gray cringes. “But I am in the middle of something here and it’s about 2 in the afternoon when regular people are actually working or maybe, in the middle of a meeting with their CEO?”

 

“Oh !”, the girl’s voice has softened however, the men in the room couldn’t control their laughter anymore. “Uhm… sorry…I…Oh my God!” And all the men couldn’t deny the panic in her voice.

 

“Hello, Hayi! It’s Simon here. Sorry, it was mean to let Gray take this call but we were in the middle of a board meeting right now so maybe, he can be your girlfriend in about 10 more minutes? We just have to wrap up.”

 

“I hope he’s not in trouble.”, Hayi says.

 

“No, he’s not.”, Simon says. “Oh, someone wants to say hello to you.”

 

“Hello, Hayi! It’s Jaewon!”

 

“Oh, Hi!”, this time, Hayi’s voice was softer. She could still hear the laughter in the background. “I hope you’re not mad?”

 

“No, although I’m dying here from humiliation.”

 

“Sorry, Hayi!”, came another voice. “It’s Jay! We’re really sorry! I’m giving back the phone to Gray so you two can talk. We’re done with the meeting anyway.”

 

“Is he going to get fired?”, Hayi asked suddenly then there was again, loud laughter in the room.

 

“No, he’s not.”, the young CEO assures her. “I’m giving back the phone now. We were just making sure he wasn’t getting a call from one of his lady loves so I hope we’re all good. Are we?”

 

“Eh?”

 

“I was asking if we’re all good and you aren’t mad at us.” Jay repeated.

 

“No, I’m not mad. I hope you’re not mad that I interrupted your meeting!” Hayi hurriedly says and Jay assured her that he wasn’t. After that, it was quiet.

 

“Okay, what the hell?” came Gray’s voice on the receiver and Hayi cringed.

 

“I’m sorry?” Hayi was unsure what to say. “I didn’t know you were in the middle of a meeting.”

 

“It’s okay.” Gray sighs. “Why were you calling and sounding like you are in the middle of dying anyway?”

 

“I’m just so angry right now! Can we meet? I’m at the top floor balcony, HIGHGRND.”

 

“All right. Meet you there in 15 minutes. I just have to get my stuff.”

 

After Hayi’s call, Gray also saw a lot of messages from his other friends but he chose to ignore them for the meantime. He went back to his studio to get his things and leave work for a while. He didn’t have any recording to do today but another surprise was waiting for him in the studio.

 

“Hi! Mind sharing a studio?”, says his studio-intruder, the person he just had a meeting with. Gray just finished one of his songs and when his bosses heard it, they wanted One, who is currently a YG trainee, to do the song with them. Not that Gray didn’t approve. He wasn’t entirely sure what the guy was capable of so he tried not to pass judgement yet. He trusted the company’s CEOs anyway. If they said that One could do it, then he must be made of good stuff. However, Gray wasn’t ready to get personal with the guy yet.

 

“Jaewon, we’re not scheduled until next week. I have to leave for a while but I’ll be back later.”

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“HIGHGRND.”

 

“I’m going there too!”, the younger guy says and Gray couldn’t help but stop from stuffing things in his bag and turning to the other.

 

“Don’t you work at YG Entertainment?”

 

“Yeah, but I wanted to visit Tablo-hyung since I haven’t seen him. Are you going there to meet her?” Instinct told Gray that the guy must be asking about Hayi.

 

“Hayi?”, he asked and Jaewon nodded. “What is it to you if I am?”

 

“Are you close?”

 

“Jaewon, you’re creeping me out.”

 

“I’m just asking! I also want to be close to you and Hayi.”

 

“You can be close to Hayi on your own. You can talk to her anytime since you’re in the same company! You were even in her music video, right? She’s really easy to get along with.” Gray zips his bag and was ready to leave. “We’ll get to know more about each other since we’re going to work together. Look, I’m sorry, I can’t take you right now since I have to hurry. Blo-hyung is not in the building. He’s out of the country.” With that said, Gray left the studio without turning back.

 

 

 

~0~

 

 

 

Lee Hayi couldn’t put a finger on what exactly she was feeling at the moment. Was she angry that her mother was close to Mino? Was she furious because Mino was getting along with her? Or was she just jealous because they looked really happy? Perhaps it was all of those. She was sure of one thing though. She didn’t like what she saw at the restaurant.

 

A tap from her back broke her reverie and she let out a relieved sigh when she saw her friend. “Thank God, you’re here!”, she says before leading him to the chairs. “Did your bosses get mad?”

 

“No, they weren’t.”, Gray assures her. “They thought that the girl they set me up with last Saturday was calling so they took a grab at my phone and pressed answer.”

 

“Oh…”, Hayi paused. “Were you waiting for her call?”

 

“No, I wasn’t.” Gray sighed. “I crashed and burned. Turns out the girl was interested in Simon more than she was interested in one of his producers and I can’t even blame her.”

 

“I told you, just make a move on one of Red Velvet’s members and you might have a girlfriend already!” Hayi teased and Gray looked down to hide his grin.

 

“Why are you even so convinced I like Red Velvet?”, Gray countered.

 

“Why did you have their song on repeat for months, then? You even checked on their profiles! Don’t try to deny it! You couldn’t stop talking about Irene for months after they debuted!” Hayi laughed when Gray looked so guilty that he even had to hide his face on his hands.

 

“Enough!”, Gray says. “I didn’t come here to be your clown. Now speak up! You said you needed me to be your girlfriend, so here I am.”

 

“Right…” Gray noticed the change in Hayi’s mood.

 

“Why didn’t you call Sohyun instead, if you don’t mind me asking.”

 

“She’s busy today. They are about to release a song so I didn’t want to give her any burden.”, Hayi answered truthfully. “Lydia is in California. Dara-unnie is, I don’t really know where she is but I never really talked to her about stuff like this. And as you know, Minzy-unnie has left the company. I don’t really have a lot of girl friends, you know.”

 

And that was probably why Gray came with no hesitation. He already knew the reason why Hayi called him. It was true, since she was a solo artist she couldn’t interact with a lot of same age friends. Heck, he even wondered if she had the same age friends at all! Sohyun was even younger than her. Some of the artists that she considered friends were from another company. The people around her were mostly her manager and her staff.

 

“I couldn’t tell my manager.”, Hayi confessed. “I’m sure she would freak out since I am forbidden to date anyone.”

 

“So, this is about guy stuff?” Hayi nodded. “Go on.”

 

“Sure you won’t gag or freak out?”, Hayi asked and Gray nodded.

 

“I saw Mino today. He was at my mom’s restaurant and he was talking to her.” Hayi became quiet. Gray wasn’t sure if he should ask more but when Hayi made no move to continue, he felt that he should.

 

“And?”

 

“I just…” Hayi sighed then looked at him before leaning forward. She settled her arms on the table between them and crossed them in front of her. “I hope you wouldn’t think I’m sort of thick faced or anything but I think Mino likes me.”

 

“Because he visited your mother’s restaurant?” Gray couldn’t help it and Hayi threw a tissue at him. “I’m kidding. I’m sorry, I’m not used to being anyone’s girl friend. I’ll do my best to keep up, okay?” Hayi nodded. “So…” Gray continued but Hayi kept silent. “When did you start to presume that Song Mino likes you? It is Song Mino, right?” Hayi nodded.

 

“Actually, someone told me but I can’t really tell you who.”

 

“And you trust this someone?”

“I didn’t believe him at first, of course.”, Hayi says. “This is Song Mino that were talking about! He can have any girl in the world, so why the hell would he like someone like me?”

 

Gray seemed confused but he waited for the girl to say more but her bright brown eyes just stared back at him, waiting for what he has to say. So he asked,  “Someone like you is what exactly? As far as I remember, you’re a girl and you just said that Song Mino can have any girl in the world.”

 

“Don’t start, Gray.” Hayi sighed. “You’re not being a very good girl friend right now.”

 

“What exactly does your girl friend have to say?” Gray looked confused.

 

“She’d say that I’m right. That I might not even be on Song Mino’s list of crushes. That…”

 

“All right, stop!” It was Gray’s turn to sigh. “If your girl friend tells you that, you better cut ties with that person because they are not your true friend. True friends are honest with you and will push you to be a better person. True friends will never make you feel insecure!”

 

“True friends don’t give you false hopes either.” Hayi bit back. “Months ago, after their 1st concert, he tried to kiss me. I felt so scared, Gray!”

 

“What did you do? Did he force himself on you?”

 

“Of course not!”, Hayi defended. “Mino is a decent guy. He would never do that. I told him not to do it and so he didn’t! I told him not to like me. I told him that he can have any girl he wants except for me. I told him not to like me! What the hell is wrong with me, Gray?”

 

Gray didn’t know what to say. Even when her face was between her hands and her voice was muffled, he could still make out what she was saying but he couldn’t understand anything. This is the part where he is totally lost in the conversation now. He had no clue how to be Hayi’s girl friend any longer and he now understood why men say it is so hard to understand women. His best chance to survive this outrage by his best friend is to keep quiet and he did exactly that.

 

“I told him to let me go.”  Hayi choked a sob back but she didn’t cry. “And now I’m angry that he’s being close to my mother! I’m mad that he makes time to see her when I can’t even do that! I’m frustrated because he’s being…”

 

“He’s being the man of your dreams?” Gray finished when Hayi stopped her rant. He took her silence for acquiescence. And so he understood but he didn’t like what he has summed up in his mind so far.

 

“You love him too.” Gray says matter-of-factly. “But you think you don’t deserve to be with him, is that it?”

 

The chair’s legs scrape against the floor when Hayi suddenly stood up. A look of disappointment in her eyes as she looks back at Gray. “You’re right, you can’t be my girl friend. You don’t get it. I’m sorry for…”

 

“Sit your back down!”, Gray says strongly and Hayi immediately obeyed. “Look, I did not just get dragged down here during a meeting with my boss for this. I may not be fulfilling the role of your girl friend and I’m sorry for that but I am trying to be your best friend here, Hayi and I don’t like my best friend to keep thinking so little of herself!”

 

“Do you honestly believe he likes me?”

 

“Why can’t it be possible?” Gray rebukes. “He’s a guy! He is human and he is entitled to what he should feel and you have no right whatsoever to deny him of that!”

 

“I’m trying to save him from misery!”

 

“Him?”, Gray looked incredulously at Hayi. “Or yourself? Look, Hayi, if I was in Mino’s place I would be completely enraged at what you did. I wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t even talked to you since! And it’s not even because of what you told him! He should be angry at you and not the other way around, got it?”

 

“Why?”, Hayi asked. “Why should he be angry? I am giving him a chance to be happy!”

 

“Why don’t you ask him yourself?” Gray says and sighs. “I know same-age girls who you are close with, might not be saying these things to you and I have no idea how to act like them. But I care about you like a little sister, Hayi. You are a smart girl. You were never a coward. You’re just a girl with many complexes and I thought we already helped you try to overcome some of them. It seems you still think that you’re just not good enough to be with anyone else.” Hayi sniffed and looked away to hide the tear that has escaped her eye. She quickly wiped it with her finger but Gray saw it. “I told you before, didn’t I? If you don’t start believing that you deserve it, who else will think that you do? Sometimes, it takes courage to push yourself and take a big leap of faith.”

 

“Gray, this isn’t as easy as performing in a stadium! This is…”

 

“This is just talking to one guy and saying that you’re sorry. Is that so scary?” Gray smirked at her. “Hayi, you’re one of the bravest girls I know.”

 

“But this happened months ago! How am I supposed to…”

 

“Just say sorry. I’m sure he’ll know what you’re referring to.”

 

“Then what?” A frustrated Hayi ran her fingers through her hair then gripped at it. “Hey, Mino sorry about what I said before. I was completely out of line. I like you too actually but sorry, I can’t go out with you. Is that what you want?”

 

“Isn’t that closer to reality?”

 

“It is not even close to stupid, its moronic, catastrophic and potentially asking my boss to fire my ! Now, that is reality!”

 

“He only said you can’t date. He never stopped you from liking someone.”

 

Hayi dropped her face on the table and Gray bit back his laughter. “Can’t we just go back to the time when no one knew who liked who? Can’t we just pretend nothing happened? Asking him to stop was easy. Why can’t I just leave it that way?”

 

“If it was that easy, then why are you miserable?” Gray stood up and Hayi looked at him. “I at being your girl friend.”

 

“Yeah, you do.” Hayi nods. “But my girl friends won’t be as honest as you, so thank you still.”

 

“Hayi, I’m just curious, can you give me an example of how a girl friend would respond to you?”

 

“She’d stick to my side and tell me I did the right thing. Your girls will always have your back, no matter what.”

 

“No matter what?” Gray was dumbfounded.

 

“Yes. It’s like the bro code. Bros before hoes, remember?”

 

“You mean, even if I already think that what you’re doing is wrong, I should still stand by your choice?”

 

“Yup! That’s what we do. We show support to each other.”

 

“Thank God, I’m not a girl!”

 

“You wouldn’t pass as one, either.” Hayi stood up and hugged her friend. “I’m glad you’re not a girl. Thank you, Gray. You gave me a lot to think about.”

 

“Stop thinking. Just go and talk to him.” Gray encouraged.

 

“Are you on his side because of the bro code?”, Hayi looked at him, suspicious.

 

“Mino is not my “bro”, if you get what I’m saying.

 

“He’s the hoe?”, Hayi said with a grin and Gray laughed.

 

“Well, close to that I guess.” Gray answered and ruffled the top of her hair. “You’re my bro. I want what is best for you.”

 

“Thanks, Seonghwa-oppa.”

 

 

 

~0~

 

 

It was late when she got to the dorms and she didn’t bother to turn on the lights inside her room. She stripped down to her underwear and wore the biggest shirt from her closet before she lay down on her bed. However, the things that her friend told her has been plaguing her mind. A beeping tone broke her reverie and she noticed her phone for the first time. Even if she had it on her hand, she hadn’t looked at it since she left HIGHGRND. There were messages from her closest friends like Sohyun and then there was one from Taehyun. It was a voicemail.

 

Hayi immediately put her code on and listened to her friend’s voice. Even if she and Taehyun haven’t talked for a while, she still considered him as one of her friends in the company. After all, they talked a lot when they were merely trainees. Her thoughts were silenced once Taehyun’s voice filled the receiver.

 

“Hello, Hayi-shi! It’s me, Taehyunie. I just called to tell you that today…I’m leaving the dorms. The decision has been final and the CEO has decided to let me go. Don’t worry about me. You know I’m made of tougher stuff than it may seem. I wanted to say goodbye in person but I couldn’t trust myself to go quietly. I just might burst into tears because I know I will miss you. I also called because I wanted to ask a favor from you…”

 

Hayi bolted from her bed, took the black shorts from the chair, her bomber jacket and black cap while still listening to Taehyun. She got her keys and locked her door before running to the elevator.

 

“Please look after my hyungs for me? I know that they’re just acting when they said they will be fine. They’re actually weaker than me, you know. (laugh) They say they’re okay but I’m sure they’ll be sad. They weren’t around when I left the dorm but Mino-hyung arrived early. He’s the only one at the dorms these days because of MOBB promotions. The others are with their families. He helped me put my luggage in the car and even if he wanted to ask me questions, he held his tongue. I saw him watching the car go. He was just standing there on the driveway. Can you check and see if he’s all right? He’s the fluffiest out of all Winner. You’d think that the swag would make him immune to being soft hearted but he’s not. He and I have been really close and I’m sure that right now, he could be crying. It will ease my heart to know that you’ll check on him. I will miss you Hayi. I will always look out for your performances and I will always be your fan. Thank you for being my friend.”

 

After that, there was just silence. Hayi wiped at her own tears while she called back but there was just the busy tone until the alert told her that the phone was unattended. Taehyun’s voice sounded composed however she was sure that he was just trying to sound cool. Typical Taehyun! Again, she felt sad and angry at the same time. Taehyun should have said goodbye to her in person! She should have been there for him! She should have noticed that he was suffering despite all that cool exterior ever since his scandal broke out. Taehyun wasn’t really a problematic guy. He just did what he wanted.

 

And all that he wanted was to make music. He was one of the people that was genuinely passionate about making music and that was what Hayi loved about him! It is one of the reasons why they got along so well. The reason why they were friends for so long. They could just stay inside the practice room and make music all day long.

 

Not being there for him when he needed her, killed her inside. She thought that the company would never think of letting Taehyun go because he was a talented songwriter and musician. Taehyun’s career was just starting. How could they just let him go!

 

She stopped her thoughts about Taehyun when she reached Winner’s building. She wasn’t sure if she was allowed to step inside. She wanted to call Mino but when she checked her phone, it suddenly died.

 

“Now is not the time to have an empty battery, you useless thing!”, Hayi whined. Even her battery has given up on her. How was she supposed to find Mino now. She looked around the dark compound. It was late and only the lamp posts were on. She wasn’t even sure Mino would be at the dorm. If he was alone, why wouldn’t he think of just going out to see his friends? Hayi knew Mino had a lot of friends outside of the company. He could just hang out with them to forget what happened to Taehyun.

 

But did she honestly think that Mino would do that? No, of course not! Mino and Taehyun were friends and she knew that Mino considers Winner as his brothers. They were his new family. Losing Taehyun would definitely hurt him. So, instead of walking back to her room, she walked aimlessly to find Mino. It also gave her more time to think. At least the cold breeze was giving her some comfort.

 

 

 

~0~

 

 

 

After Taehyun left, Mino didn’t go back up their room. Their dormitory was empty anyway. He thought of going back to the company since Seungyoon could be there but he decided not to. Somehow, he felt some anger towards it. He never thought they would just let Taehyun go! His scandal wasn’t even a scandal! It was out of Taehyun’s control! Mino knew Taehyun’s passion for music and the arts and he even admired the guy for his commitment! But then he knew that when Taehyun began to post his songs for the public that the younger guy would have a problem. They were bound by a contract and their songs were supposed to be revealed only inside the company who will choose which ones should be released. It was in the contract and they all signed! Did Taehyun actually think that he could get away with it?

 

Mino was angry. He wanted to lash out but he was afraid that he would lash out on the wrong people. He wanted to talk to Taehyun again. He wanted to tell him to ask for another chance even if he begged for it. Hell, Mino would even beg beside him! He also wondered what the others would say or think. Why weren’t they here when Taehyun left? Or did Taehyun planned this all? Did he know before that this could happen? Did he really want to go without saying a proper goodbye?

 

“Taehyun, you bastard!”, Mino mumbled before he crushed his 5th can of Asahi. “How can you be so selfish! How dare you just walk away from us like that!” He asked out loud while kicking the ground.

 

“I don’t think he wanted to.”, came a voice from behind him and Mino abruptly turned around that he lost his balance. The girl was immediately beside him and helped him to stand. “Mino, are you drunk?”

 

“Maybe just a little?”, Mino answered with an impish grin. “Fancy meeting you here!” Mino gestured to the dark playground close to their dorms. “This is where I usually hang out. No one else plays here, I even wonder why they put it here in the first place! It’s just useless.”

 

“Why don’t you sit back down.”, Hayi guided him back to the wooden blocks where his other cans were. It seems Mino has drunk a lot and even smoked a lot, judging from the cigarette butts on the ground and the cans of beer. She saw him take something from his pocket and she was scared that he was going to smoke again but instead, he popped a candy to his mouth. He also offered her one and she took it, scared that if she denied him, he would throw a tantrum. Hayi wasn’t used to drunk people. Her crowd doesn’t get drunk easily and when they do, there were others who take care of them. She was sure of one thing though. She wasn’t supposed to provoke drunk people.

 

“Useless…”, Mino repeated suddenly then he looked at her and held her hand. “Like me. Sit here, please?” Mino pulled her to sit beside him, all the while holding her hand. “You see, Hayi, I should have been there for Taehyun. I should have given him advise. Instead, you know what I did?” She shook her head and Mino laughed, mocking himself. “I released an album with Bobby! And that was what Taehyun wanted! He wanted for us to make music and release albums one after the other but did I support him? Do you think I did?”

 

“Shhh…”, Hayi warned. “Please not so loud. Mino, if someone finds out we’d both be in trouble.”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter