Run

Never Mind

It seemed like the next hours flew by and before I knew it, the clock was showing 11. I hurried to the kitchen and grabbed the lunchboxes I had bought for each of the boys months ago and set them on the table, smiling a little at the fading pattern on a couple of them. I knew before long I would have to replace them, and I knew precisely what would happen to them when they did. The one secret I had been able to keep from Hoseok was the little stash I kept in what I told him was my sewing room, though I never really sewed anymore. Every memento I had from our many years together was safely hidden in that room under lock and key. The stuffed rabbit he had given me for my birthday when I was 16; the lunchbox he gave me on my first day of university; the seashell he had picked up on our first trip to the beach; the matching bracelets they had all given me when they won their first award; the Belle figurine Jin had given me for my 30th birthday. All of them held precious memories, and these lunchboxes were just as precious.

Shaking myself out of the memories, I began to grab ingredients from the fridge and freezer, making a simple but healthy and filling lunch for them, each slightly different to suit their tastes. A few minutes past 12, as I was tucking the boxes into a bag, there was a knock at the door. Hiking the strap onto my shoulder, I checked to make sure that everything was in order before heading for the door. Sure enough, there was the usual driver, holding out a hand to take the bag from me, though he knew full well by now that I never let their lunch out of my sight. If anything was to go wrong, it would be my own fault. He smiled as I shook my head, closing and locking the door behind me and following him to the car.

The ride to the studio passed in comfortable silence. I somehow liked it like that, and I knew he did too, considering he had shot down my early attempts at conversation with simple one word answers. As we arrived, I hopped out and gave him a quick bow before darting toward the doors, eager to get to the rehearsal room. I always loved to watch them rehearse, and they had taken to ensuring I would arrive before they finished for the morning to give me a chance to watch. Pausing quickly at the desk to sign in, I gave the receptionist a grin as she told me which room they were in, chuckling at the giant bag waving from my arm. I dashed toward the elevator, almost bouncing on my toes while I waited to reach the right floor.

Checking direction, I all but ran toward the room, hearing their voices already preparing for what I knew was likely the last dance rehearsal of the morning. Rounding the corner, I ducked into the room just as they were sitting in their chairs, turning my head to say hello as my feet hit the wooden floor. Big mistake. Things began to move in slow motion and I felt my feet skid out from under me. Twisting, my only thought being to save the lunches, I landed with a groan on my hip, shouting a quick “I’m okay!” as I cradled the bag in my arms. “Carry on!” I could feel their eyes on me as I limped toward the bench that lined the far wall and sat down, giving them a grin and waving at them to start. They did as instructed and started their rehearsal, all of them managing to mostly keep their smiles under control, though it turned to more of a disaster. Though most managed to be ‘professional’, poor Tae soon cracked up. I couldn’t resist, and by the time they were all standing, I was making faces at him, triggering the whole thing to turn into a giant mess. Eventually, I took pity on him and sat back, just watching the rehearsal, but they soon turned the tables on me, doing their best to try to make me either laugh or blush. It was successful, and by the end, we were all laughing like lunatics.

When we had finally calmed down, they all pulled their chairs over, eagerly taking the lunchboxes and virtually inhaling the food, complimenting me on it though I doubted they tasted much of it, considering the speed with which they ate. It wasn’t long before the boxes were empty and I gathered them back into the bag. After another few minutes of chatting, I bade them farewell and headed home.

The rest of the day passed in relative quiet. A wrong number and a parcel delivery were the only things that interrupted the silence, and I was glad of it. Though I was just as raucous as the boys when around them, for the most part, I was a quiet person, almost introverted. Hoseok had been the one to bring me out of my shell when we were children, a shell created by much tormenting by the students at school. I supposed that had been the inevitable result of loving to read and sing, and studying more than most, but he had eventually shown me that I didn’t have to shy away from people. Though they were so much younger and, for the most part, treated me like their older sister, they were fiercely protective and now, if anyone messed with me, they went into ‘older brother mode’ and would defend me with everything they had, as one of the interns at the company had found out the hard way.

Around 7pm, I realised I hadn’t picked up supplies for the next day, in case the boys needed lunch again. I shrugged into my coat and hurried out, making my way to the supermarket a few blocks away. It wasn’t as close as a couple of other convenience stores, but the people there were lovely and it was worth the extra distance. It didn’t take long to gather what I needed and pay and I was soon on my way home. I had walked a couple of blocks when I started to feel on edge. I slipped my hand in my pocket, edging my phone into my sleeve as I kept walking. I didn’t like the dark to begin with, but the footsteps I could hear a little way behind me keeping pace with mine were sending alarm signals down my spine. I moved my hand as if to adjust my bag and, keeping my head stable, lowered my eyes as I quickly unlocked my phone, dialling Hoseok’s number.

“Please pick up” I whispered under my breath, regretting it almost immediately as the footsteps quickened. I sped up in turn, eyes darting back and forth between the phone and path. I was going to have to pass through a darker area to get home and I wracked my brain to think what to do. At last, the ringing stopped and I saw the screen change. Putting it to my ear, I forced myself to speak calmly.

“Oppa! How are you? I almost didn’t feel my phone ring!” I said, almost too cheerfully.

“Oppa?” He echoed, a laugh in his voice at the term. “Noona, you called me… Are you drunk?”

“Nooo-o” I couldn’t help the slight nervous hiccup as I tried to force myself to sound calm. “I’m just fine! Missing you though, oppa.” I prayed he’d get the hint. He didn’t.

“You actually are drunk, aren’t you?!” I could hear the others in the background, clamouring in shock. They knew I didn’t drink, so me being drunk was new.

“I’m not drunk! I swear!” I heard the footsteps pick up even more and instantly wished I hadn’t said the word. Surely whatever the person had in mind, they wouldn’t worry so much if I wasn’t even going to be taken seriously. I decided to take a chance and look back over my shoulder. It was a man, maybe 5 years older than me at most. He looked familiar, but I couldn’t place the face. When he saw me look at him, he broke into a jog. I made up my mind. Breaking into a run, I bypassed the turn for my house, heading instead for the park near the dorm.

“Oppa!” I shouted into the phone, panicking now as I was already starting to get breathless from the sheer fright.

“What? What is it?” Hoseok’s tone had changed in a heartbeat and I could tell he understood now why I was calling him that.

“The park! Hurry!” I shouted before hanging up and slipping the phone into my pocket and putting all my focus on running. I felt a hand on my arm and swung the bag behind me, grim satisfaction filling me as it connected with his stomach. Dropping it, I slipped my hand out of my sleeve and shrugged off the coat, leaving it behind and pushing what energy I still had into a sprint. I could see the arch that marked the closest park entrance and felt relief flood through me. Rounding the corner into the grounds, I slipped, only just managing to regain my footing before I could fall. Cursing the stupid shoes that had been a pain in the twice that day, I picked up the pace again, but felt the grip on my arm again, this time yanking me back against the man. His arm wrapped around my throat tightly and I clawed at his hand, wrist, everything I could. It was no use, the man was strong. My throat was too constricted and I started saying mental goodbyes, wondering if I would ever see my boys again. I was starting to see black spots in the light from the streetlamps, no longer able to draw the slightest breath, when my pulse start pounding in my ears.

It took a few seconds to realise that the pounding was getting louder and more irregular, and was joined by shouts. The arm loosened and he let go of me. I collapsed to the ground, willing my lungs to start functioning again as footsteps raced away behind me. They wouldn’t listen, refusing to draw air, and I clutched at my throat, trying to pull my airway open to allow them to fill. The pounding drew closer and I looked up to see my boys racing toward me. I was safe. I smiled with relief and allowed myself to sink against the ground, my eyes drifting closed. I heard voices around me, a pair of hands pressing on my chest as a pair of lips forced air into my lungs. The last thing I knew before I out was the sweet coolness of the night air finally chilling my throat.