Thirteen

Between Wind and Water
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Daeun sighed, rolling her eyes at her companion for not the first time since she got in the car with them- it most likely wouldn’t be the last time either. “You know, this is technically illegal. I’m pretty sure it’s called kidnapping.”

“Really?” Wonho scoffed. “Weren’t you and that bastard my get out of jail free card just an hour ago? I think it’s pretty clear that I technically don’t care about what’s legal and what isn’t.”

“Tch, smug ,” Daeun huffed, turning to stare out the window again. There was nothing outside but road, the occasional tree or other car, and, wow, more road. It wasn’t the most interesting view, that was for sure, but it was at least better than staring at the bane of her existence, hands loosely resting on the wheel and an infuriating smirk on his face as he drove them to who only knows where. She had asked -multiple times at that-, but every single time his answer was just a shrug or a sarcastic comment, sometimes a mocking “Wherever the wind takes us”, and she had quickly learned to stop asking and wait patiently like a “good little girl”- Wonho’s words, not hers.

She regretted agreeing to join him on this stupid road trip- she used the term ‘agree’ very lightly though. She was practically forced, shoved into a car she was fairly certain was stolen and whisked away before she could even utter a single word against it.

After Shownu had dragged Wonho out of the police station -and this time she meant that quite literally-, the jerk had thrown a temper tantrum in the parking lot. Shownu had tried to talk some sort of sense into his thick skull, but, well, Wonho was Wonho, and Daeun wasn’t surprised that it didn’t work. Truthfully, it would have been a miracle if Shownu had succeeded. But he hadn’t, and Wonho had refused to get into the car so long as Shownu kept trying to scold or punish him for his reckless actions. Where the car came from, Daeun didn’t know. All she knew was that one minute she was slacking off and eating ramen at the convenience store, kicking Kihyun’s in an intense match of tic-tac-toe, and the next, she’s waiting for Shownu to pull up outside after they had received a text that, for one reason or another, Wonho had been arrested. Needless to say, she had a lot of questions, and things like ‘why the hell did Shownu suddenly have a car?’ and ‘where the hell had he been keeping it all this time?’ weren’t the most pressing at that moment. She did, however, ask why Shownu had hauled her along with him to pick up the arrogant blue haired bastard. His answer was less than satisfactory, a sheepish smile and a simple, yet cryptic, “Maybe you can get through to him, since I can’t. Besides, you guys still need to work things out after that mess the other day anyway.”

Apparently, working things out was code for stuffing the two of them together in a cramped car with mysterious origins and letting the psychopath determine their final destination. To be fair though, Shownu had just suggested they spend some time together to resolve their issues- and he had done so rather innocently at that. It had been Wonho that, with an overdramatic sigh more befitting of Minhyuk or Daeun herself than him, snatched the keys from Shownu, shoving him aside, and then captured her by her forearm and forcibly pushed her into the passenger’s seat. “Get in the car,” he had snapped. Yeah, as if she actually had a choice when he was already slamming the door shut and ordering her to buckle up.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” she had yelled at him once the engine started and Shownu still wasn’t in the vehicle with them. Her answer was the clicking of the doors’ safety locks and an overexaggerated roll of his eyes.

“Relax, Princess,” he smirked over at her, putting the car into drive. “There’s nothing like a good, old cliché road trip to bond with someone. Don’t you ever watch any movies?”

“Road trip?” she enquired sharply. “Like hell I’m going to-“

“Sorry, can’t hear you,” he pretended to shout, hand reaching over to turn the little knob that controlled the volume of the radio up all the way, the speakers going from silent to almost shattering her eardrums. With a wince and a few mumbled curses, Daeun had turned it back down to a more manageable volume just as fast, though not off- she’d rather leave it on and have an excuse not to engage in conversation as much as possible. At that point, they had already been moving -way above the speed limit too, she might add- and once they passed the city’s edge, there was no turning back, so she might as well deal with it.

Now, it was an hour later, they had crossed the city’s border quite some time ago, and Daeun was seriously regretting not jumping out of the moving vehicle a few miles back at that rest stop they had passed.

“Come on, Princess. This is supposed to be fun,” Wonho from the driver’s seat. In return, she promptly ignored him, trying to entertain herself with some of those stupid car games people played on family vacations. It was pointless, however, considering the fact that there was hardly anything around, the road nearly empty aside from their car, and not very fun. She kept hoping to spot a Bug cruising along beside them so she’d have an excuse to punch Wonho, but so far, no such luck- those types of cars weren’t exactly common in the region, but a girl could still dream. Most of the games she thought of also required at least two players, and there was no way in hell that she was going start up a game of “I Spy” with an annoying like him. To put it a different way, this was far from the so-called fun Wonho thought it was- she was bored out of her damn mind.

“Let’s play a game,” he suddenly declared, seeming to read her mind. She said nothing in response, so he took that as a green lighted signal to continue. “How about Truth or Dare?” he proposed, eyes still staring ahead at the vast expanse of road that laid in front of them.

“Are you kidding me?” she hissed, snapping her head towards him with an irritated glare. “How are you supposed to play that in a car, huh, stupid?”

“It was just a suggestion,” he pouted, glancing at her briefly from out of the corner of his eyes. “I could have dared you to be nice to me for once. That would have been fun.”

“Nice? Me? That’s rich, since you’re, well, you.” Oh, Daeun was one hundred and ten percent done with his . The next exit they passed, she was totally diving out of the car, safety be damned. A few broken bones wouldn’t matter in the long run; it’d be worth it if she was away from him.

“What about Twenty-One Questions?”

“Why don’t you just shut up?”

“I’ll go first,” Wonho pushed forward, completely ignoring her derisive comment. Where was all of this even coming from? The last time they had seen each other, he had nearly bit her head off, and now here he was wanting to play an icebreaker game, actually listening to Shownu’s orders? Well, kind of half listening- but still! It didn’t make any sense. She was used to his extremely bipolar mood swings, but this was just a whole other brand of ludicrous that she wasn’t sure how she was supposed to cope with. He still had yet to say anything about his night spent in jail or give a single reason for why there was a long strip of gauze wrapped securely around his arm or a square white cotton bandage taped to the side of his head. It was almost driving her insane, not knowing, having him act so casually as if nothing from the past few days had ever happened.

“What’s your favorite color?” he asked, sarcastic voice snapping her out of her thoughts. The irony of the question almost made her laugh. Unlike Shownu though, who had asked her the exact same thing a few nights before, Wonho didn’t actually mean it, wasn’t actually interested in the answer. Well, if she was going to be forced to play this stupid game, then she might as well use it to her advantage.

“Black,” she answered, being more careful this time instead of blurting it out thoughtlessly. If she had said blue, then she knew she would never hear the end of it from him- it would have only served to boost the overconfident bastard’s already enormous ego and provided him with infinite ammo to get under her skin.

“Why were you in jail?”

“Oh, come on, Princess. It’s no fun if you play like that,” he complained. Seeing that she wouldn’t let up though or take it back, not knowing the immense stubborn streak in her personality anyway, he rolled his eyes and gave in. “Fine. I was in jail because I got arrested. Satisfied?”

“Why were you arrested then?” she snapped- she was, funnily enough considering what they were doing, not in the mood to play games or mess around.

“Ah, ah, ah,” he tsked, waving a mocking finger at her in a playfully scolding manner. “That’s not how the game works, Princess. Even royalty has to follow the rules and wait their turn, okay?”

“Just put your hands back on the wheel and stop being a smartass,” she grumbled, arms crossed, folded over her chest. Wonho just laughed, looking more than pleased with himself at how easily he was able to get on her nerves.

“Favorite food?”

“Ramen.”

“Looks like we have something in common at least, though fried chicken’s a pretty close second,” Wonho shrugged, lips tilting up a little at the corners.

“So, why were you arrested then?” she asked again, frustration and annoyance creeping into her voice.

“Disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, minor destruction of property, and resisting arrest,” he recited boredly, as if he didn’t care about all the marks against him on his permanent record. Before she could ask something else, he decided to clarify it for her. “I got into a fight with some lowlife jerks, just don’t worry about it.”

“Should you even be let out of prison?” she questioned, suspicious. She knew that the police force in their city , and she knew from experience with Minwoo’s one former arrest that for a minor offense all it took was a night in the slammer and a hefty fine to be a freeman, but this was Wonho they were talking about. He had to have done something bad- actually, make that a lot of bad things taking his past as a Heavy into account-, so was it really suppose

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter