where it all begins

The Truth in Lies

 

“Hey!” My brother in his early twenties struggled to keep me-a high school boy- from moving with one hand and a syringe in the other. “Would you be kind and stay still for ME?! I can’t stick this needle in your hand without harming you otherwise….”

“Like I would listen to YOU and let you POKE me with that stupid syringe. LET G- WHOA,” I tried to free myself from my brother’s grip even harder when I saw the needle was about to puncture my skin, my brother then lost his grip of me and I plummeted to the floor face first.

aahh,” my brother sighed as he saw me sprawled on the floor and in pain, the sight made him giggled as he tried not to laugh. “I do hope that your nose is not broken…”

“You know what brother? I’M NOT HELPING YOU WITH YOUR STUDIES ANYMORE… GO GET YOUR CLASSMATES TO HELP YOU, YOU EXCUSE FOR A MEDIC STUDENT...” I screamed at my brother and stormed out of the room, slamming the door shut behind me.

“That idiot… this room is-“my brother spoke loudly after me.

Before he could finish speaking I swung the door open again and I came in through the door and into the room with an idiotic expression on my face. I then walked quickly towards my brother and grabbed the hand that was holding the syringe. He smirked at the sight of me looking so ashamed and said “You dummy, only NOW you realize this is your room?”

As he finished speaking, I threw my brother an angry glare and pushed him out. He stumbled on his feet and his face hit squarely on the wall. I saw what happened and smirked with glory “aaaaahh... I hope your nose is not broken BROTHER”

SLAM, the sound of my door being slammed shut. Outside my room, my brother’s face must have been beet red stinging with pain, I bet he’s holding his face and was cursing under his breath but instead he shout towards my room “KIEFER YOU DORK!!”

I froze in anger when I heard him calling me a dork and opened my door, I had one hand in the pocket of my pants, I was trying to grab my weapon. My older brother seemed to understand what I was thinking and etched backwards, I saw this and pulled out my hand from inside of my pocket and pointed a gun in my grip at my brother. “Hey Ethan!”

“Kiefer… w-why do you have a gun?” My older brother named Ethan stuttered.

“I’m from the shooting club, that’s why...”

“Weren’t you in the archery club?” Ethan asked as he tried to move out of gun point.

I smirked and I could see Ethan getting scared “I just transferred a few days ago”

Oh, i see... no wonder” Ethan slowly moved his hands towards his own face.

“Hey, Ethan, don’t believe in that type of excuse next time. Who knows a crazy guy could lie to you and took the opportunity to try and bury a bullet in your head. Well, GOODNIGHT now” I said swiftly and pulled the trigger, Ethan’s body fell to the floor and made a loud thud sound. Our mother who was in the kitchen heard the noise and headed upstairs. I had already retired into my room when our mother reached the top stairs.

“Oh my.. Ethan? What are you doing on the floor? Ethan?” I heard mother spoke and her footsteps were getting close to my door where Ethan lay helplessly. She finally said “Kiefer must have gotten angry and used his sleeping gas gun that I got for him a few days ago...”

A few minutes later I guessed that Ethan woke up because I could hear movements outside my door, I’ve always had a sharp hearing. I heard Ethan getting up slowly and headed towards his own room. “Kiefer you little BRAT” he said while shutting his room door shut.

After the doors to Ethan’s room closed I sat in my room at the table with my laptop on it, I was glued to the laptop as I was researching on something, I grabbed the mouse and clicked on a few links that I thought was interesting, once the link is opened I moved forwards because I had found what I was searching for. A knock at my room window and I whirled around in my chair to see what was making the noise, and it was my best friend there, without thinking I got up and walked towards the window. “Taylor, why are you here? Wait, just how did you get up here? This is the second floor you know!”

Taylor grinned and climbed into my room and pointed down “look at who’s down there and holding magic tool called the ladder.”

I looked down and saw my two other friends holding a ladder close to the window, I sighed, relieved that my friend Taylor wasn’t a flying freak “You know… you guys could have just rung the bell and the front door will be opened...”

“We could do that but that would beat the purpose for the ladder that we brought, anyway we couldn’t risk letting any of your family members seeing us now. Remember your dad threw us out as soon as he saw us last time?” Taylor held my shoulders and squeezed it hard, for a moment there I forget just how strong he is despite his looks of being a fragile person.

“That was because you were smoking, my dad hates that. By the way he’s not here. My mom wouldn’t throw you out the moment you step into this house, ah whatever just get in quickly… Jason, let Lily come in first, since she’s the girl. AH, DON’T LOOK UP INTO HER SKIRT YOU ERT!!” I saw Jason looking up towards Lily while she was climbing up the ladder and I decided to throw an eraser at Jason’s face.

“I think you shouldn’t get angry at him Kiefer, Lily is his girlfriend now. They’ve been dating for a while now, I myself just knew. With him keeping this as a secret, it’s as if we were never twins to begin with…”Taylor moved towards the laptop on my table. He started reading what I had been working on and gave out a deep sigh.

“What’s with that big sigh you gave out?” I gave Taylor a cold stare.

“I’m the one who wants to heave sigh here, after getting an eraser to the face..” Jason mumbled as he climbed through the window, his face was red where I had pelted him with an eraser.

“You deserved that”

“It’s exactly what I thought it would be, he’s been checking on THAT…” Lily exclaimed in relief when she peeked over Taylor’s shoulder to have a look at my laptop.

“So you really will be decorating that big huge gym by yourself? Even if you lost the bet to Harrison you shouldn’t be so dumb as to decorate that huge place all by yourself ya know, you should ask our help. Friends are for that reason.” Taylor sat on the bed and beamed at me with an innocent look in his eyes.

I felt really touched by what Taylor said and sat beside him. “You know what, I really would like to do this gym decorations with you guys as it would be my last party with you guys.”

Jason had a confused look on his face and stared blankly at my face. I understood exactly what it meant by Jason’s stare and said. “You all know that I came to New York due to my dad’s work right? All this time you guys must have thought that I was the only son right? Well, I have an older brother who’s been staying by himself in Japan and right now he’s next door. He’s staying here while his college is having their holidays. My dad invited him here since it will be our last month here, so to say, the day after the party will be the day that my whole family departs to Los Angeles and we will be staying there for good”

Jason’s look of confusion turned into an awkward look “oh man, you never told us about you having a brother.”

“That’s what you’re most worried about? Hey Kiefer you... why didn’t you tell us that you were going to move after the party? Don’t you trust us? Is it really that hard to tell us anything?” Taylor got up and stood right in front of me, he had his fist balled up as if he wanted to use me as a punching bag.

Lily was about to speak when the door to my room swung open and Ethan was standing there with a large syringe in his hand. Ethan lowered his hand with amazement as he saw three kids that seemed to be around my age. “uhm, hello. Who are they?”

For the first time in my life, I was glad that my brother had barged into the room without warning, because I really don’t want to be Taylor’s punching bag at the moment. “Well now, Ethan these are my friends, and friends this is Ethan, my brother”

“I’m Jason Laker.”

“Lily Dawson”

“And I’m Taylor Laker, Jason’s twin”

“I bet he can tell that you guys are twins just from looking’ I muttered under my breath.

Ethan smiled at them and glanced at my direction. He spoke to me in Japanese “Oi, I hope you told them about leaving here,” I nodded in agreement and Ethan continued talking by speaking in English “oh well, I’ll go back to my room now. Have fun.”

 “That was awkward” all four of us said in unison. Then we continued to talk until late at night.

“You never told me that you speak Japanese” Taylor said in awe.

“We lived there before coming here,”

“Oh, my curfew is almost up, I’ve got to go back.” Lily said as she got up and headed towards the window.

“Jason, go send her back, it’s not good for a girl to walk home all by herself, by the way I told mom and dad that we are staying over… later you got to go through the front door and get rid of the ladder or not Kiefer’s dad would be in a fit again and throw us out.” Taylor smiled at Jason.

“You’re leaving all the work to me again!” Jason got irritated but he did not seem unhappy, since he got to walk his girlfriend back home.

“Look at him smile, that idiots way to happy now.” I said while looking at Jason’s goofy face as they walk away.

“let him be, he likes her a lot man..” Taylor sat on my bed and we talked until Jason came back and we decided to hit the sack.

The next morning, the air between us two brothers was very heavy. It is as if we could fight about even the pettiest of things that will happen, I chugged down my breakfast silently and as quickly as possible. Once I was done, I went to take my knapsack and found it really suspicious that Ethan was hovering near it, but I decided to ignore what I saw and head for school quickly. On the way to school, I decided to take a shortcut through the neighborhood’s park. There, i saw a girl and three guys. It seems as though the girl was being pestered by the guys. Heaving a heavy sigh, I headed towards the girl to help her.

She saw me approaching and had a look of total disgust in her eyes, I wondered whether she thought I was another one of those creeps disturbing her. I decided to put her mind at a rest and said "ah! There you are! I was looking all over for you.”

The other guys let go of her and quickly left the place, one of them said “so, she has a boyfriend…”

As I was getting closer to the girl, she screamed "DON'T GET ANYWHERE NEAR ME. I didn't need your help." With that being said, she left the park hurriedly.

I was left there dumbfounded with zero knowledge of what just happened. I took a look at my watch and scrambled for my school while thinking about the girl. I hope I don’t have to see that rude girl again.