one

Behind the Mask
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“OH, MY God! I love the hair and the nails!

Wooyoung smiled to the compliment he received from his friend Kwon.  He’s one of his “groupies.”  He was the campus king. 

“I love it!” Kwon told him again. 

“Me too, honey,”  he answered.  Some of his friends also came over.  Everyone commented on how attractive his new hair.   He enjoyed the attention.  He’s used to it.  When it comes to that department, he’s sure that he won’t have to worry running out of supply.  Being a billionaire’s only son had lot of perks.  Who was he to not relish them? 

When the school bell rang, they went straight to their classroom.  He’s also the one who the teachers favor.  Probably a part of his privilege of being Jang Wooyoung. 

“Today we’re discussing absolute monarchy,” their teacher said and brought a fish bowl, with a lot of colorful papers inside, from her table. “We will have a role-playing game for the class to better understand this system of government.”

One by one, they picked up papers inside the bowl for their roles.  It so happened that the role he picked out was “King.”   Kwon rolled his eyes when he showed him his paper. 

“How apt,”  he said

Wooyoung sniggered.  Not long after, he was already claiming all the properties of his country and gave death sentences to those who opposed him.  The class was laughing. 

“But your highness, I need my crops to feed my family.  I pay my taxes, what the hell would you want my land for?  You're being so much like your father, my king,” said by one of his female classmates — Sunny. She looked like she hoarded all eyeliners in the cosmetics store and applied it around her eyes.  She’s chewing a gum and had a messy hair. 

Wooyoung felt the tension inside the room.  Even if it was not a common topic of their group, he knows the accusations that are being thrown at his father of being a land-grabber.  In fact, there were rallies made in front of their realty company accusing his father of land-grabbing and that he had paid corrupt government officials to do this. But of all the accusations, nothing was proved. 

When he asked his father about it, he only told him not to worry about it.  That those claims were not true. 

Of course he believed his father.  His father would not even hurt a fly.  But it looked like Sunny was daring him.  He smiled at her.  “I hereby order a public execution! Thy hair and makeup offends me,” he declared. 

Sunny snickered. The class also laughed.  The tension disappeared.  That was when their teacher stopped the play and asked them to return back to their seats, followed by a discussion.  Wooyoung thanked that his father was not mentioned nor discussed anymore.  When the class ended, Kwon immediately talked to him. 

“Don’t mind Sunny.  She’s a loser.  What does she know about life?”

It was agreed by their friends.  He smiled at them.  He then changed the topic and talked about the oncoming birthday of one of their friends. 

The day had passed and Wooyoung was suddenly not feeling well. Is it because of what Sunny said earlier?  He didn't know why but he’s not feeling good about it. 

He can’t explain where was that coming from and what he’s referring to.  When it was their time to go, instead of going to the nearby mall with his friends, he decided to go home.  He went straight to the parking lot where his driver was waiting for him. 

When they arrived at the first traffic light, a teenager went to the car and threw mud on the windshield.  

“What’s his problem?” his driver said.  The mud sticked to the windshield so he had to parked the car at the side of the road and wiped it.  As soon as the driver stepped down, a gun was aimed at his head. 

Wooyoung was stunned.  When he snapped back to reality, it was already too late.  Two armed men sat on both of his side and aimed a gun to his head.  The third man asked the driver to sit in the passenger seat and then he went to the driver’s seat. 

“Don’t hurt us!  My dad will pay you, just don't hurt us,” Wooyoung begged.  The men didn't answer.  He just felt something hard hit his head and everything turned black. 

 

 

+++++

 

 

Wooyoung had lost counted how many promised he had made to God just to get away from the place that he was in right now.  He was thrown by the men who abducted him in a well.  His entire body was drenched already and the water tasted like mud.  He was already freezing.  Both of his arms were bruised and he felt his feet broke when he was thrown earlier. 

The water was only up on his waist.  The stones he’s standing into were slippery and sharp.  Whenever he tried to scream for help, his voice echoed.  He believed that he was in a place far from household because no one seem to hear him, and also because he had not heard anything from above. He didn't know if the persons who kidnapped him were near the area or if they already left.  If they left him there, would he still be able to leave or would somebody be able to save him?  Where was his driver? Was he dead? 

He had a lot to think about and he don’t know what’s going to happen.  He cant think straight, probably because he’s scared and shivering from cold. He doesn't want to die in there. He didn't want to entertain the idea of dying but he cant stop himself.  

From where he is, he saw the moon in the night sky. He can’t tell what time is it already. “Help!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter