chapter 1: the new neighbor

my annoying neighbor

Ji-hyo opens her front door to takes her laundry outside because today's weather seems like it's going to rain. The sky gets darker, when suddenly she notices something different next to her house. She sees a tall man - with a ridiculously tall height, like he's about to reach 2 m, is smoking in his front yard, she looks at his figure once again through the divider fence between their houses.

"good evening!!" she greeted him. "newcomer?"

Yep, before, the house next to hers is an empty house. The owner left to Busan 1 month ago, and no one ever lived in that house again. She feels happy as soon as she saw someone occupied that empty place. At least it won't feel lonely.

"I'm Song Ji-hyo! Your new neighbor! Our house are side to side!"

She greeted him nicely, but he doesn't even reply her one single word. Even he doesn't be bothered to moves his body. Instead, he only took a glance and gives her a cold glare.

Jihyo's cut her smile and bow her head a bit, then he flees the scene to goes back in to her house.

 

"what an arrogant guy!" she grumbled. "he should be grateful for having a friendly neighbor who greeted him first!! I don't think he can last long in this neighborhood with that attitude of his!"

She pouted her lips as she try to cool off her vexation by turning on the tv. As soon as she saw Gong Yoo her favorite actor, on the screen, she forgot her vexation and fangirling all night because of his face.

 

***

 

07.05 AM.

Ji-hyo was getting ready to go to her office. After she tied her hair into a ponytail, she goes out her house and lock the door and not to forget the fence. Her car was being repaired, so she's going to her office by bus. As she walks at the side of the road, a Mercedes Benz G Class drives next to her and surprisingly... the car passed her and made the puddle splashes its water all the way to her. Her outfit become wet and dirty.

She shouted loudly as she exploded in anger. "HEY!!!! WHAT THE ARE YOU DOING THERE?!!! , , YOU!! COME BACK HERE YOU SON OF A !!!"

As the car keeps going, she chases it angrily while cursing all the words which would be censored if it was aired in SBS. She stopped her step when the car owner goes out from his car.

"something's wrong?" he asked her like nothing was happened.
"the ..." she cursed again when she saw the face of the car's owner. It's the new neighbor!! That arrogant guy!!

 

"THE WAS WRONG WITH YOU, SCOUNDREL!!" she slaps his face angrily. "CAN YOU SEE WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!! YOU WET MY SHIRT FOR 'S SAKE!!"
He stares at her with no expression. "that's it?"
"WHAT DID YOU SAY?!!"
"then I guess you have to go back to change your outfit because... Sorry to say but your bra is showing. It's black. My favorite color."
PLAK!! She slaps him once again. "STOP MAKING ME MAD WITH THAT TY MOUTH CAN YOU?"
"okay, alright," he gave up. "I'm sorry. Let me drive you back to your house. I'll drive to your office too."

But Ji-hyo doesn't bother to move.

"fine, Lady," he said. "guess I have to do some action right now," so he lifts her up and carry her into the car. She tried to go down but he's way too much stronger than her.

 

So, here they are. Sitting side by side in his damn-ty car. He drives her back to her house. As they arrived, she quickly went in and changed her outfit, then goes back in to the car.

They didn't talk much. She loves the peppermint scent inside his car, yet she also smelled a cigarette and alcohol smells a bit. Seems like he smokes and drinks a lot. But although he smokes a lot, his body looks fine and fit. Even his biceps is muscular.

"what is your name?" he asked her.
"It's Ji-hyo. Song Ji-hyo," she answered. "you?"
"none of your bussiness."
"hey, I'm not interested in any of your bussiness. I only asked about your name."
"My name is..."
"is what?"
"…Gong Yoo."
"are you ing kidding me," she hissed. "don't you ever try to equate yourself with my favorite actor! You're nothing to be compared with him."
"my boss said that sometimes I look like him."
"your boss must be blind, then."
"he does got a bad eyesight."
"so you don't think that you look like Gong Yoo-ssi?"
"I still am, though."
"aish, talking to you makes my head aches," she grumbled. "so, what is your name?"
"Joon. Cha Joon."
He got a nice name, to be honest, she thought. Cha Joon, it's beautiful, yet sounds so masculine.

 

"Jihyo-ssi, please open my dashboard and take out my driving license."
"wait," she replied. She tried to open the dashboard but the dashboard won't open.

"Hurry up, !" he shouted.
"the dashboard can't be opened!!"
"stupid!! Press the button first!!"
Ji-hyo presses the button on the dashboard and the dashboard are opened. Joon quickly grab his own license when the polices are near.

"fyuh, what a dumb girl," he swore when they had passed the polices.
"WHAT DID YOU SAID?!!!"
"stop screaming can you?! It feels like my eardrums are going to crack any time!"
Ji-hyo pouted her lips.
"here, put this back," he commanded as he hands her his driving license.

Ji-hyo takes it from him as she accidentally see his date of birth. "You were born in 1987?!!"
"I TOLD YOU TO PUT IT BACK!!"
Ji-hyo put his license and closes the dashboard. Then she faces him, "ya, how could you speak rudely to an older woman? You were born in 1987 and I was born in 1983 that means we have a four years difference. But the fact that you talk so rude and swore everytime I talk, it pissed me off!!!"
"I don't speak formally," he replied coldly. "especially to a stupid and fussy girl like you."
"YAISHHH!!!" Ji-hyo once again exploded in anger but she try to control her anger. It's okay, it's okay Song Ji-hyo, he's still young like your lil brother.

As they arrived at Ji-hyo's office, without saying anything, Ji-hyo goes out from his car. As she got out, he drives his car and left the place.

 

***

 

Days by days passed, it's been 3 months since Joon moved to his new house. Honestly, he likes Mr. Yoo's idea to keep him away from their enemies at this suburban area. This residence is peaceful, except the witch next door named Song Ji-hyo. They've been fighting and swearing everytime they met each other. She's so annoying that it made him gone mad, even he almost hit her until he remembered that she's only a girl. He may be rough and abusive towards his enemies but he can't beat women. He hates it when women get beaten up, just like his mom who used to get beaten up in the past.

So, everytime she annoyed the out of him, he would only gave her a death glare or attacked her with his cruel words. She often get hurt and emotional when he attacked her, maybe that's the reason Ji-hyo hates Joon very veeeeryyy much. That's why you shouldn't mess with me, Song Ji-hyo, he thought. I'm not the kind of person you can deal with. We're not even on the same level. Ck, she's just a thirty-something women with a mental of kid.

 

On this Saturday morning, Joon has to go to the market because he ran out of groceries and he doesn't have anything to eat today. Not that he doesn't have money to eat out but Joon prefer to eat in home rather to eat outside. Those foods in the restaurants are using an used oil and containing too much MSG. He himself is actually a healthy person but it's almost impossible for him to stay away from cigarettes and alcohols.

He covered up his face using his hoodie. He stopped in front of a meat stall to purchase some pork bellies.

"Ahjumma, can I have 2 kilos of this walnut?"

Suddenly he heard a familiar voice. He looks to his left only to found out that there is Song Ji-hyo, standing in front of a stall. But he doesn't care anyway. Who wants to start a fight in the middle of the market crowds? So he remain calm and goes around everywhere, shopping groceries, with his face covered.

After he finished shopping, he heads back to his car. He opened the hood and let the wind blows his thick hair. It's autumn and it's his favorite season.

 

He's still relaxed when suddenly his eyes meet someone eyes. His eyes getting widened as he quickly escape from the market. The mysterious guy is now chasing him. Joon runs very fast to get away from the guy's sight. As he arrived on a small T-junction behind the market, he goes to the left, heading towards the parking area. Luckily, the guy lost his direction and goes to the right.

Joon let out his breath. He breathes heavily as he enter his car and left the market. He immediately grab his phone to call his boss, Master Yoo.

"…Hwang Kwang-hee... that bastard... he found out about my neighborhood. Guess I should be more careful when go out to a public area..."

 

***

 

Joon is trying to solve a puzzle that contains a password of Mr. Park Myung-soo's safe-deposit box when the lights in his home goes out.

"," he swore. "why should the lights off in a time like this?" he goes out to the front yard as he realized that all the neighbors lights are off.

"what happened?" one of his neighbors asked.
"a rolling blackout, I guess," the others answered. "but I read the schedule that our neighborhood were supposed to take our turn next week?"
"I don't know, maybe it was accelerated," another one answered. "but it's so dark. it's kind of scary."
"stop talking nonsense, kid!"

 

"AAAAAAAAAAAAA....!!!!!" suddenly a scream was heard, coming from Ji-hyo's house.
Joon immediately rushed to her house, bringing a flashlight. "what? What? What happened?" he asked. "Jihyo-ya, where are you?!"
"Who is that?! Is that Joon?!"
"yeah, it's me! Where are you?!"
"i'm in my bathroom!! There's a bug!!!"
"the f-" Joon almost swear, again. "STOP BEING EXAGGERATE, !!"
"i'm scared of bugs, don't you know!!"
"stop wasting my time!!" he replied harshly. "Song Ji-hyo, do you wear any clothes right now?"
"of course, idiot, I haven't -"

Without saying anything, he broke into her toilet door  only to found out Ji-hyo is standing in front of the mirror. She's wearing a black tanktop covered in a bathrobe and a leggings pants.

"CAN YOU ASK FOR MY PERMISSION FIRST BEFORE YOU ENTER MY BATHROOM?!!" she shouted.
"I did!"
"when?"
"I asked if you wore any clothes earlier and you said yes. So I broke in to the bathroom, is that a problem?" He replied.
"is that even a question?" she squint her eyes. Joon didn't answer her and quickly bring her outside.

"hey, I thought mine was the only one whose lights is goes out, turns out everyone is," she murmured as they sit on her terrace.
"I sense something strange," he added.
"what strange things?" she asked. "you can see ghost?"
"stop talking nonsense," he snorted. "I feel like there was someone behind this thing."
"you mean the electricity operator?"
"Gosh," he pats his forehead in frustration. "Let's go out. The neighbors are all out there, discussing."
She agrees. They both walk out from her house.

 

"Ahjumma, where is your husbands?" Ji-hyo asked as they approached the ahjummas in the neighborhood. "They're heading downtown to tell the operator."
"aaaah, good job," she nodded. She turned out her head and see Joon is going somewhere with his car.

"hey! Joon! Cha Joon!!" she called. "where are you going?" she stops him from getting into his car.
"to the downtown."
"they are all already went to the downtown to solve the blackout, you should stay here and wait for the result."
"this one is another bussiness. This is my own matters that I should take care on my own. You stay here and wait for the result."
"but... What kind of bussiness?"
"you don't have to know, Song Ji-hyo. Now stop being fussy and go to the ahjummas to spend your time."
"Can I join?"
"no, you can't."
"please let me go! I won't be a burden!!"
Your existence itself is already a burden to me. "still, you can't."
"why can't I? Are you having a mission?"
"shut the up before I gone mad," he threatened. "now, go away."
"you're going to a dangerous mission, don't you?! Hey, I can be your sidekick to go against those villains!!"

 

Joon snorted. He can't get mad and swear anything right now because there are the neighbors.

So he whispered to her, "I'll let you join with one condition; don't ask me anything about this."

TO BE CONTINUED

 

author's note: I know the first chapter is such a crap. I read some comments in the foreword and seems like everyone getting their hopes up with the summary... I don't know why did I do this, but, I'm a really really amateur writer so please don't expect anything from me. Hehe see I'm lacking of confidence right now. But thankyou for everyone who supported me. Lastly, sorry for all the grammatical errors and constructive critics are welcomed! ^^

addition: guys, because this chapter contained some violent words, I recommend you to log in first before reading because I don't know if this is an updated theme or nah, all the violent words in this chapter are erased and makes the story incomplete, unless you logged in first before reading.