His hands

How We Came to Be...

       Loud raucous laughter filled the cozy three bedroom, second-floor apartment. A group of friends lounging around sharing memories, reminiscing about the good old days. 

        "Hey Kwangmin," Kay called, "you never told us how you and Hyunseong met."

        "Oh really?" Kwangmin tilted his head a little and then looked at his boyfriend, "You never told them either?"

         "The topic never came up," Hyunseong said while shrugging his shoulders, " but since Kay asked ya why don't you tell?"

         Kwangmin looked over at his group of friends while curling into his boyfriend's side," Well we met my freshman year of college in the library. I was having trouble with a writing prompt I was giving for my Creative Writing class.


        Kwangmin huffed for the umpteenth time within the past hour, he ran his long fingers through his black hair that just had the tips dyed a pale deep blue. Why did he choose to take a creative writing class again? Oh, that's right because he got into this college on a writing scholarship and wanted to achieve his dream of becoming a worldwide celebrated novelist. Another tired groaned left his lips, he felt like just letting his head fall repeatedly to bang off the mahogany table he was sitting at. Suddenly he felt a tap on his shoulder, turning his head slightly to the left he was met with a man around his height, give or take a few centimeters, with gorgeous deep brown eyes that could put the richest hot cocoa to shame, and a smile with a shine that could make the hope diamond look as if it were just another rock.

   "I'm sorry for bothering you but I couldn't help but notice that you seem to be having some sort of dilemma. Do you mind me asking what's the issue?"

   "Oh you're not bothering me, I'm just trying to figure out what to write for my creative writing class, I mean the professor gave each of us a separate prompt but-"

    "What's the prompt?"

   Kwangmin looked down at the paper in his hands that he has starred at since he received it this morning as if wishing the words to answer the prompt would suddenly fill the page itself.

   "Holding Hands- talk about the first time you held someone's hand."

    "Well, there you go. What's so hard about that?"

    "I haven't held anyone's hand except my mother's or brothers'," he mumbled while looking down trying not to give away the blush that was so slowly heating up his face from embarrassment.

   "Well uh," Hyunseong was stammering a little, "I haven't really held a hand either, so it's ok," he said quietly while rubbing the back of his neck.

   "Why not write about the difference between your mother and brothers hands and then maybe hold a hand with a friend."

    "That could work, but I don't know many people around here. Most of my friends went to different universities."

    "Well," Hyunseong said while holding out his hand, "my name's Hyunseong and I wouldn't mind being your friend."

    Kwangmin took the other's hand in his, shaking it slightly as a sign of new friendship," I'm Kwangmin and I should most likely call you hyung. Do you mind if I ask your Kakao Talk ID since you're offering a friendship."      

     Hyunseong laughed but nodded his head while taking out his phone to let Kwangmin scan the QR code.

   "I wish I could stick around a little more to talk but I have astronomy and even if you're a second late the professor will kill you, so message me later about how the writings coming and if you need any more help. Bye."

   "Bye."

____________________________________________

 [KwangChu]- Thanks again for the help ^-^ Is there any way I could repay you back?- 3:45pm

 [ShimmeSham]- No problem. How about letting me read it when it's finished?-3:46 pm

 [KwangChu]- How about coffee? Maybe I'll let you read it if you tell me the meaning behind your username lol-3:47 pm

 [ShimmeSham]- Coffee is good. The meaning behind the name is- Shim is my last name and because I at dancing my friend calls the only dance move I can do the "Shimmy sham" and so the name stuck. How about yours?-3:50 pm

[KwangChu]- Oh you have to show me that dance move one day. My name is simple, I love Pikachu. So feel like maybe getting some coffee now, unless of course, you're busy than another time is great too-3:52 pm

[ShimmeSham]- Coffee sounds amazing right now, is there a place you'd like to meet up?-3:53 pm

[KwangChu]- Oh there's this cute café about hmm 5 minutes from English Lit building called 'Spoonful of Sugar' it has some amazing crème puffs and a really great vanilla chai latte.-3:55 pm

[ShimmeSham]- Ohhhh so I get more than a coffee, is this a date? *eyebrow wiggles*-3:56pm

[KwangChu]- hahaha could be if you want it to be, meet me there in about 10mins, yeah?-3:57 pm

[ShimmeSham]- Ok ;)

 

   Kwangmin couldn't lie, that little winky emoji made his heart flutter just a little bit, he had to calm down sure the older boy had offered him a friendship and was already talking about this little thank you coffee as a date, but he knew that the other could be one of those "wham-bam-thank-you-mam" kind of people though he genuinely hoped otherwise. He quickly put himself out of his thoughts and freshened up a bit before telling his dorm mate that he was going out and that if his brother were to stop by telling him he'll be back later.

   "Make sure to take protection with you," his dorm mate giggled.

    "It'll take more than just an offer of friendship and a coffee date to get into these pants, Tae. Make sure to tell Yoongi hyung hi for me when you go see him later. Bye"

      After a brisk five minute jog to the café, Kwangmin walked inside and took a seat down at his favorite booth, waving to the few workers that were on duty tonight one of them asking if he wanted his usual, to which he gave a  grin and giggled out an answer of what else is there. After removing his light jacket and taking a seat, he saw Hyunseong walk through the door looking around till he spotted Kwangmin. Once he was seated, a waiter brought over Kwangmin's order.

     "Oh Kwangmin, who's this fine looking fella?"

      "Easy Hyuk," Kwangmin chuckled, "I don't think Taekwoon hyung would be happy to hear you calling someone else attractive. This is my friend Hyunseong, he helped a little with that writing prompt I told you about. So to say thank you I offered to take him out for coffee and you know me when coffees involved I run straight to Jaehwan hyung's place. "

       "He should think about giving you discounts," Hyuk laughed.

        "Keep dreaming boys," Jaehwan quickly through his two-cents in from behind the counter.

        "So Hyunseong, what can I get for you?"

        " I was told the crème puffs and vanilla chai latte were the best."

        "Of course you were, I should have know that would have been your order coming here with this one. It'll be out in a few moments."

        "How many times do you come here that you know the owner and a waiter?"

         "I know more than just one waiter, I think I know just about everyone. My brother and I have been coming here since this placed opened, back before Jaehwan hyung took it over from his mother when she moved to New York to open another café there."

         Just like Hyuk had stated, after a couple minutes he was bringing out Hyunseong's order and what seemed to be a few extra snacks on another plate. Setting them down he explained to Kwangmin that Seokjin hyung was trying something new and since he heard that the other boy was in the café today he knew Kwangmin was always up for trying his new concoctions. He intently studied the cookie, it was a gluten free almond sandwich cookie with Nutella crème filling. Slowly taking a bit, he felt as though there were no cookies out there better than this.

       "I think I just found something better than Jaehwan hyung's crème puffs," Kwangmin whispered hoping Jaehwan was in the back somewhere.

       "I heard that," a light smack was delivered to the younger's shoulder, "see if you get extra crème in your puffs from now on."

       "Don't worry Kwangmin," Seokjin laughed at his lover's defeat, "I'll make sure you get extra cookies. Come on loser, I'll even let you have a cookie."

       "It seems like you're close with everyone," Hyunseong laughed.

        "Well like I said before, Youngmin and I have been coming here for a very long time. You have to try this hyung, it's like heaven," he said while reaching across the table to place a cookie against the other's lips.

        Hyunseong's face turned a dusty pale pink from blushing slightly at the younger's bold move but opened his mouth slightly allowing the cookie to be placed inside his mouth only to blush even more when smooth fingers brushed his lips gently.

        "Well?"

         "Oh wow this is really good, but I don’t think I could pick a favorite between the two. So, I told you the story behind my kakao name, will I get to the writing prompt paper?"

        "When it's finished and handed it in on Friday."

        "Oh does this mean there will be a second date?"

       "Well, that depends on whether you count this little thing as date one and if you accept my offer for a second date."

        "Hmmm," Hyunseong thought for a second, "well let's consider this date number one but Friday's little date will be my treat," he said with a wink that gave Kwangmin hope that this was gonna blossom into something beautiful.

       Date number two came and went lots of giggles and subtle touches that lasted only mere seconds but made both men's skin feel as thought fire was dancing across them with each touch. Date number three came with Hyunseong walking Kwangmin back to his dorm after a trip to the local indoor market, a gentle kiss was placed on the younger's cheek as they said their sweet goodbyes. Date number four they decided to become official and Kwangmin mustered up enough courage to place a kiss on the older's lips. It was a chaste kiss, but it held promises of more to come as time passed. Three years and countless dates later, the touches still subtle but longer, still made each other as though a fire were their skin and making butterflies suddenly appear in their stomachs. The kisses were anything but chaste most of the time but they had their moments.

 

 

His Hands

By Jo Kwangmin

      His hands are different from my mother's. Her's are soft, yet calloused from years of housework, weathered from years of holding my father's and my both my brothers and my own. Torn and cracked from years of cleaning chemicals taking their toll on them.

     His hands are different my brother's. His's are just like mine, though a little rougher from always climbing trees. They're calloused from dragging them across wood from tree bark to dance floors, and yet smooth from just natural youth.

       His hand's are different from my younger brothers. His's are still smooth just starting to show age from the abuse he gives them. Tiny paper cuts, ink, and paint decorate his hands as well.

       His hand's are different from any other hands my own hands have felt placed between them. His hands are slightly bigger than my own and yet don't reflect the age of their owner. His left hand seems to have a permanent indent from a book that always seems to have a hold in his grasp. His right hand seems like it's almost been left untouched by age, still smoother than softest fur you've ever felt.

     The first time his hand slipped into mine, it was only there for a mere second and yet it felt as though my hand had decided that its new home was within his. There was a telltale itch in the palm of my hand yearning, screaming for me to return it into his grasp.

      The first time I held hands with someone other than family turned out to be the last time my hands would ever reach for someone that was not him.


      "Aw, Kwangmin that story was really sweet. Why can't you be that sweet," Kay said while pushing the man next to her.

      "I have my moments every now and then," Gunwoo said while shoving a handful of popcorn into his mouth, "plus you married me so you must love me."

      "Never said I didn't but a little romance never hurt anyone."

      "Yeah, my luck I'd be the first casualty."

  The room was filled with laughter again.

     "Well, what about you two? How'd ya meet?" Kay said while looking over at the next couple.