Chapter 1

Behind the Wall of Sleep

*Ding-dong!* The bell rang.

“Ahhhh!! Who’s there?” she asked, kicking her blanket off her body. The blanket fall from the bed because of her aggressiveness. Instead of an answer, the bell rings again.

*Ding-dong! Ding-dong! Ding-dong!*

“Oh my God, who is the stupid that ruins my morning routine?!” She shouted and forcefully dragging herself to the door. She unlocked the door with a loud noise, intentionally trying to show to the one behind the door that she is angry.

“Who are you? Why are you-” she stopped. The sentence was left hanging because there is no one in front of her. She looked outside her house to find someone but to no avail. Taking a step outside, she was shocked when her foot bumped into something.

“What the f**k! W-what is this?” she cursed.

 Ah Young stared blankly into the square object in front of her. It is just a normal, plain box but is decorated with colorful ribbons around it. Inside of it, there are lots of chocolate, and all are her favorite. KitKat, Snickers, Ferrero Rocher, Cadbury, Toblerone, Hersheys, M&Ms and Ritter Sport. She squats to look carefully into the strange box.

“Who gives me all these?” she mumbled. “I don’t have a boyfriend for sure and this may be from my admirers but… I never told anyone that I move here.” A frown formed on her forehead. When she take a look at the chocolates one by one, she suddenly saw a card, between the chocolates.

Picking out the cards, she read it with a voice only she can hear. “I’m so sorry because of yesterday. I made you angry because of stupid things. I should know that you’re having your period so your emotion is not stable so here’s a box of your favorite chocolates to brighten you up. Love you, Kim Ah Young. Meet you later. XOXO, Tee.”

“TEE??? Who is Tee? Moreover, who made me angry yesterday? I can’t recall meeting anyone yesterday since I spent my whole day in my room, sleeping.” Ah Young said, looking at the box of chocolates and the corridor again. “Ahh whatever, I’m just going to eat all these delicious babies.” She grinned and lifted the box into her house while humming in happiness.

When Ah Young went into her house and locked the door, a man wearing all black came out from his hiding place. “Yes! She likes it! That’s my girl!” he said, walking down the stairs in a happy mood. “This means that she’s not angry anymore. Can’t wait to see her tonight! Yeeehooo!!” he jumped in excitement till his cap and sunglasses fell. “Oh no! I can’t be seen.” He run quickly to pick up his things, making sure he is not caught on CCTV in the apartment.

--------

Today, Ah Young wakes up earlier than usual. She also didn’t know why but all she knows is that she woke up with a smile on her face and she has never been this happy before. She did everything perfectly and sometimes she found herself singing while giggling. While making herself a breakfast, her phone rang. She quickly left her scrambled egg on the pan and picked up the phone at the living room.

“Hello, my puppy Yoon Jae Hee. What’s up?” Ah Young said, running back to the kitchen to save her once-in-a-time cooking.

“Err, you answered so quickly. I was surprised.”

“Well, cause I’m making myself a breakfast and I heard your call so yeah… I swiftly run to the living room.” She said. She position her phone between her head and shoulder so that she can use both of her hands to make herself sandwiches.

“W-Wait. Err, I think I got the wrong number. Sorry.” The phone call suddenly ended.

Ah Young automatically frowning in surprised. She put her sandwich on the plate and take a look at her phone. “She really hang up the phone? Why tho?” She questioned and dialed her best friend’s number back. The call didn’t ring a long time before the other person pick it up.

“Ohmygod Ah Young! Do you want to know something funny? I called the wrong number earlier! I thought it was you but the girl said that she’s cooking breakfast. HAHAHAHAHAHA so I quickly hang up and apologize. Fuh, that was embarrassing.” Jae Hee said without a pause.

“Hello! You did called me earlier, Yoon Jae Hee. It’s not a stranger. It was really me, Kim Ah Young, your bestfriend.”

There was no response from the other side. Complete silence. A few seconds later, a soft voice is heard.

“Uhmm… So, you were saying that it’s you, for real? Not other person?” she asked.

“Yes, babe. Why?”

“So…. you were saying that you’ve already wake up and is cooking breakfast?”

“Yup!” Ah Young nodded, simultaneously chewing on her sandwich.

There was an awkward silence again.

“So… you were saying that it’s you?” Jae Hee asked again.

“Yes, babe. Why? Are you okay? What’s wrong with you?” this time, Ah Young is the one who asked.

“Hey, it should be me to ask that question! Are YOU okay?” highlighting the word ‘you’. “Why all of a sudden, you want to wake up early and what’s more surprising is you cooked??? Is this the Kim Ah Young that I knew?”

“Hahahaha, yes Jae. This is the Kim Ah Young that you’ve known for more than 5 years. It’s me. About your question… I don’t know what to answer but I just feel like it. I just feel like making myself a breakfast and wake up early…? I feel like today is a good day and somehow I think there's something that makes me so happy today but I don't know why.” Ah Young reply, fiddling with the sandwich in her hands. 

"People said, when you act out of your routine, that means you're in love. Could it be that someone actually manages to steal your heart? Other than me?" she gasped. 'LOVE' The word somehow feels familiar and warm. Though Ah Young tried her very best to remember, she's still stuck. It's like she forget something so important and it breaks her heart so much.

"Ya Yoon Jae Hee. How can you reach to that conclusion? I'm not in love. How can I fall in love when I didn't even go out? You're one strange person, you know? Enough of your theory, why did you call by the way?” and they continue their conversation. Jae Hee complained to her about the giveaway that she took part in, to win a BTS album but she didn’t win. She was so frustrated because she put a lot of effort on that. Basically, she spent her entire time on Twitter to retweet and also quoted the tweet until she got scolded by her mom for not helping in the kitchen. Not to mention, she made a lot of accounts for that purpose but unfortunately, luck is not on her side.