Chapter 4

Home
Please log in to read the full chapter

With a slight delay, but here is the final chapter of this story ^^ Thank you all for supporting me, subscribing, upvoting and leaving super kind comments ^^ I hope you enjoyed this journey. 

------------------------

Krystal had been grateful that Sulli had been talkative as ever that evening. Honestly, she had thought of just leaving after the entire display, but she couldn’t bring herself to do so when Onew had tightly grabbed her hand and pulled her inside.

She kept eying Victoria from the corner of her eyes every minute or so, but Victoria seemed to have focussed all her attention on Sulli, for better or worse.

Krystal was honestly afraid when Sulli finally gathered her things, ready to leave to catch the last train. After she left, Victoria had tucked in Onew and Krystal once again debated on leaving when she was preoccupied at least. She figured they’d have to talk eventually anyway, and postponing that would probably just make it more difficult. So she stayed. She waited for Victoria to finish Onew’s bedtime story and close the curtain so as to grant them some privacy.

It was ridiculous really. Krystal was responsible for hundreds of employees, had so much responsibilities, yet she had never felt nervous for any of those. Right now, however, she was dying. She stared down at her hands in her lap until there was suddenly a large cup of watery coffee obstructing sight. She accepted it with a grateful nod, finally daring to look up at Victoria.

Contrary to what she was expecting, Victoria looked chummy as ever. “I will never get used to how early it gets dark nowadays. If you can’t make it home, you can always stay over here.”

Krystal blinked a few times as if it would actually help her process Victoria’s words any faster. “What?”

Victoria’s eyes shifted hesitantly, “did I say something wrong?”

“No. I mean… Shouldn’t we talk about what happened before?”

Victoria puffed her cheeks cutely before letting out the air all at once. “I guess you’re right. I have some explaining to do.”

Krystal nodded before once again realising what Victoria had said. SHE had some explaining to do? Wait… What?

“As you have probably gathered already, he was my previous boss.”

“You don’t have to-“

“I do. I owe you as much after what you did for me just now. Actually, after all you’ve done for me these past weeks.” She reached out, grabbing Krystal’s hand that was still lying limp in her lap. She squeezed it once and Krystal thought she’d let go again. She didn’t.

“I haven’t been entirely honest with you. Or him.” Victoria bit her lip in a worrying gesture and Krystal suddenly felt her heart speeding up. She had no idea what this was even about.

“I… Work wasn’t…” she sighed in frustration. Krystal covered the hand that was still holding hers with her other hand in a, hopefully, supportive gesture, “I wasn’t planning on keeping our relationship just work-related.” She whispered it and Krystal almost didn’t hear what she said. A part of her wished she hadn’t. “You’re attracted to him?”

“No!” Victoria slapped her free hand in front of , her gaze drifting towards the curtain momentarily, “no,” she repeated in a hushed voice this time. “It just seemed like the best deal in that moment. My situation wasn’t that good. I felt like he was my only way out. He really did seem to care, in a strange way.”

Krystal felt her stomach turn. The fact that Victoria would even consider getting together with someone for financial reasons meant her situation must have been worse than she had led Krystal to believe. Not only that but… Was what she was doing so much different? Wasn’t she just buying Victoria’s friendship either?  She must have unconsciously pulled a face of sorts.

“I know. I’m a horrible person. He was right about everything he said out there, yet I led both of you to believe I had not intended it that way.” She started pulling her hand back, but Krystal found herself hanging onto it. “No. I understand. I’m sorry.”

“Why are you apologising?”

“I… Aren’t I doing to same thing he is?”

Victoria’s brows furrowed together in confusion.

Krystal finally let go of Victoria’s hand in favour of running her own hands through her hair. “Why are you ignoring the fact that I lied to you about being the CEO’s daughter? I am Krystal Jung! What did they say about me again? That I’m cold and don’t have any friends? Well, they’re right. And the ones I do have, I apparently also buy.”

Krystal hadn’t meant to say everything she did. She hadn’t even been aware that it was what she had wanted to say, but the moment she said it she felt a strange mixture of both relief and regret. She shouldn’t lay this on Victoria.

“What are you talking about? I love you.” Victoria’s hands were cupping her face now and Krystal felt her cheeks heat up at both her touch and her words. She knew Victoria had probably meant it in a friendly way, but there was something in her eyes. Something Krystal couldn’t quite put her finger on. She felt two thumbs on either side of her face swiftly against her cheekbones in a loving gesture before Victoria dropped her hands again. It wasn’t much, but it was genuine and Krystal couldn’t believe she had worried about their friendship being bought mere seconds ago. It was real.

“Also, you have nice employees but really… Did you expect me not to find out who you are? I knew who you were from the first day I went to work there.”

Krystal didn’t know how to feel about that. “You did?”

Victoria just nodded, a slightly amused look on her face. “Why didn’t you say anything about it?” Krystal asked dumbfounded. 

“Because it didn’t matter. It still doesn’t,” Victoria frowned as if it had been a strange question to ask, “when I brought it up that evening, you avoided the topic so I figured you just didn’t want to tell me. Which is fine. I am sure you had your reasons.”

“Can you be any more perfect?” the sentence had left Krystal’s lips before she had any chance to stop the thought. Victoria’s shy smile made the regret dissipate immediately though. It was worth it.

-

Krystal had just finished washing up her face in the too tiny bathroom when Victoria appeared again with a pair of pyjamas this time. Instead of leaving after dropping them off she just stood beside Krystal, their shoulders pressing together so neither of them would have to trip over the toilet. Krystal just pretended to restyle her hair and study some spots on her face while Victoria removed her make-up. Once the latter was done, however, she removed her clothes without any thought, slipping into her pyjamas immediately after. It all happened so fast Krystal barely had time to be surprised, shocked or impressed. Victoria looked at her through their reflection in the mirror. “Pyjamas no good?” She asked and Krystal realised she had stopped moving for too long not to look suspicious. “Oh yeah… yeah, they are.”

Victoria had started applying night cream on her face and Krystal hesitantly started taking off her clothes too. From the moment she had pulled her shirt over her head, however, she noticed Victoria shooting sneaky glances at her, or so she thought apparently. They were hardly sneaky in Krystal’s opinion; Or maybe she was just too focussed. She quickly pulled on the pyjama shirt before ridding herself of the pair of brand skinny jeans she had worn for her miserable date. Victoria glanced at her thighs through the mirror again and by now Krystal had realised those looks were definitely not normal.

Krystal had been shy and awkward for as long as she could remember. Yet somehow, this felt thrilling. Exhilarating. Her stomach was acting as if she was on a rollercoaster and she almost felt sorry when she was fully dressed again and Victoria stopped sneaking glances.

They both retreated back into the living/bedroom on their tiptoes and Krystal felt a shiver run through her at the contact of her bare feet with a fairly cold floor. Victoria laid down next to Onew, patting the spot on her other side. Krystal joined the both of them, barely fitting along under Victoria’s blanket. It didn’t quite cover her entire back and she pulled the blanket down a few times so as to stop the wind from creeping in. It was for naught though, as it kept creeping back up to where it had been before. Eventually Victoria halted her battle with the blanket by raising her right arm up in an inviting gesture. “Come here.” Krystal scooted a little closer, but Victoria didn’t seem satisfied and crossed the distance between the both of them herself in the end.

Victoria rested her arm along her middle in a casual way, but the butterflies in Krystal’s stomach were acting anything but casual. Their knees were bumping together in a way that would have been uncomfortable if it was with anyone but Victoria.

“I want you to know that I didn’t tell you about being the CEO’s daughter because I didn’t want it to ruin our friendship.” With Victoria’s big eyes so close to hers she had suddenly felt the need to explain herself. She just needed Victoria to know.

“I understand. Although, it doesn’t change anything. I like you because you’re Krystal. Not because you’re the CEO’s daughter.” She kept looking into Krystal’s eyes as if to prove her point. And she did.

Victoria shot her a smile. “Let’s sleep now. We both have to get up early again tomorrow.” Krystal nodded before closing her eyes. She wasn’t prepared for warm lips suddenly pecking her cheek. “Goodnight.”

-

“Mom? Mom!” Krystal felt incredible groggy, not capable of opening her eyes just yet. She felt warm and safe and even though h

Please log in to read the full chapter