Everything was going well till this...

Just A Summer Fling

I skated across the rink, the puck gliding fiercely in front of me. I maneuvered around the Ken High opponent. The goalie squatted, eyes set on me and I slid to the side and raised my hockey stick, blasting the puck into the goal’s net. The crowd roared as the clock buzzed. I wasn’t surprised that we won. My hockey team was pretty impressive for a bunch of girls. My team rushed at me and jumped on me, cheering.

“Whimoon High wins and will head to the Champion game in New York City!” The announcer screams into the speaker and the crowd cheers harder as well as my team.

We head to the locker room. I quickly changed, heading out of the rink. I ended up in the parking lot, my family waiting for me. The first one to hug me was my mom, kissing me on the forehead, “You did a great job, sweetheart!”

“Thanks, Mom.” I muttered sheepishly, spit coming out of my mouth from my braces. My older brother  Park Chanyeol and his wife Park Yoora grinned at me.

Chanyeol oppa ruffled my ear, “Who knew you could play like that?”

“Well, we do live in Seoul.” I replied, punching his shoulder. Yoora unnie tried to hug me but her belly blocked her from me so I hugged her from the side, “How’s that baby coming along?”

Yoora unnie puffed, “Hell, this one kicks harder then the last one.”

“Where is yoon Seok?” I looked behind her but didn’t see the little rascal.

He popped out behind Chanyeol oppa, his messy brown hair streaming in front of his big eyes. One eye was green and the other was blue. He ran at me, hugging my leg. I picked up my three year old nephew, “Hey, there Seokie!”

“Ahjumma!” He squealed, squeezing my cheeks between his tiny fat fingers.

“Gold!” I turned around and saw Park Jiyeon motioning me to come to her. Grace was… what’s a nice way to put it? Oh yea, there isn’t. She’s a downright and also captain of the girl’s hockey team. She pushes us harder than our coach but I don’t mind. I like the push and she knows it. She tries to intimidate me but she and I both know I would never be intimated by her.

Her jet black hair fell straight down to her midsection. Thick bangs hang before her sharp eyes. Her pink lips held a tight frown. I stopped in front of her, still holding Yoon Seok in my arms, “What’s up?”

“Nice game today. I was impressed_”

“Like always,” I smirked.

Her lip twitched, “For a fifteen year old, you’re good but your cockiness is going to get the better of you, Gold. Anyway, this is my last year with this team and I want to pass my status to you.”

I gaped, “Are you asking me to take your place? As in captain?”

She nodded, flipping her dark hair back, “Don’t go and bloat your head. You’re a great athlete for such a young age. Making a freshmen a captain might be the dumbest move yet but I trust you. Lead my team to the championship every year. I’m gonna keep a watch on you.”

“I’ll be a sophomore next year so, don’t worry about the freshmen thing. And, thank you so much Jiyeon. You won’t regret this.”

“I hope not,” She smiled. I’ve never seen her smile before. Yoon Seok giggled and waved his hand at her. She took one of his hands and grinned at him, “Hopefully, you’ll be a hockey superstar as well.”

She strutted away and I literally jumped in joy.

I bragged about the great news to my parents and brother while heading home for a small celebration party.

I ran up the stairs to my messy room. Piles of dirty clothes were clustered in the right corner while my bed pressed against the left wall. I had set out a light green summer dress on my bed just in case we won and Mom wanted to celebrate. I changed into it quickly and raced to the backyard. It was about thirty minutes before sunset and the hazy calm light set a warm feeling to the benches.

“Chuka e, my dear!” Someone hugged me from behind. I glanced behind and squealed, hugging back my favorite non-aunt Jun Ji hyun. She ruffled my short reddish brown hair, “I’m so proud of you! Finally, someone who can play a freaking sport in this family!” She yelled loud enough for my mother to hear, who just rolled her eyes in return.

Aunt Ji hyun went off to mingle with the rest before I could ask her where her son, Kris was.

I looked around the backyard not seeing any sight of him and I wondered off to the food table. I shoved some chips into my mouth.

Then Kris walked into the room. My mouth went dry as I saw him. I must have looked like an idiot with my mouth hanging open with chewed chips in it and a handful still in my hand. Kris whooshed his dark brown hair aside, a dashing smile on his face and there it is, that dimple that drives me crazy. He wore khaki shorts and a loose black top, rocking it simply. His dark eyes landed on me and I couldn’t help but smile back.

With my mouth full of chips and metal.

Realization hit and I dropped the handful of chips and wiped my hand on my dress. Omo, now I have nasty grease stains.

Kris sauntered over to me, a confident aura about him. I swallowed the remains, my tongue wiping over my braces just in case something was left on there. My heart nearly leapt out of my chest. Control yourself! I thought.

“I heard your game was good, Min Young. Heading off to New York City, I hear. Are you gonna leave me behind?” He pouted.

All I could do was blink.

He nudged my shoulder, “What’s the matter?”

I smiled, “Nothing. And I’m sure you can come along but you might have to pay for your own plane ticket, food…. And hotel.”

He chuckled, “I also hear you’re the captain now.”

“Who told you all this?” I asked.

“Park Jiyeon. I drop her off at home.” That’s when I noticed a reddish spot on his neck. I think he noticed me staring at it and covered the spot, pretending to rub it. Did they do something in his car? I know Kris is a senior just like Jiyeon but he wouldn’t, would he?

I need to tell him. I need to tell him I love him…. Tonight. Or else, he’ll go off to college and be surrounded by hundreds of beautiful women and forget about me. His mother’s best friend’s braced-faced daughter.

“Wanna get out of here?” He had leaned in close to my ear, his hot breath sending shivers through my body.

I nodded.

We escaped our parents and Kris drove us to the nearby Nightlight beach. It was called Nightlight because every year on July 4th, people would release floating lanterns into the night. Kris must have been prepared since he brought a blanket from his truck.

We sat side by side, watching the waves and enjoying the cold breeze from the waters. This is a perfect time to tell him. Just look in his eyes and say, “I love you”. I turned to him. He was watching the water, his straight jaw relaxed. He seemed so intense right now. He smiled at me, “Why are you staring at me?”

“Um…” I struggled to figure out a good answer, “Kris, I need to tell you something.”

“Shot,” he stared at me.

This is a lot harder than it seemed.

“Uh… ever since we were younger, I hated you. I think you remember me abusing you in the sandbox and beating you with a stick at family events. But the truth is, I don’t hate you. I actually….” I took a deep breath and spilled, “I love you, Kris. I love your wonderful brown eyes and humor and the fact that you’re so sweet and care about everyone even if they treat you wrong. I love how ambitious and humble you are. Whenever I see you, my heart skips a beat. I always want to be with you. I just love you so much it sometimes hurts.” I stopped, realizing I went on a weird rant about how much I love him.

His expression was blank.

Oh, God! I scared him into shock!

I bit my lip, looking down at my knotted fingers as if they were the most interesting thing in the world. My long bangs fell over my eyes, concealing everything from me except for my hands.

“Min Young…. I don’t know what to say.”

“Saying ‘I love you’ back would be recommended,” I muttered.

I heard him sigh, “I’m sorry,” That’s not what I was hoping for, “but I don’t love you. You’re my friend. You’re basically my sister.”

“Forget I ever mentioned it, okay?” I felt tears threaten my eyes. I need to get away from him.

“Please, don’t be mad at me.”

The tears suddenly started to pour out, “I’m… not mad. But for your information, I’m not your sister. Forget this night ever happened.” I stood up, wiping my face fiercely. I started walking toward the street.

Kris grab my arm and spun me back to him, “Don’t do this, Min Young. Don’t make me the bad person here. I just don’t feel the same way about you.”

I pushed him away from me, angry now, “Is it because I have braces?”

“It has nothing to do with your braces. It’s my feelings.”

“Have fun at your stupid college with stupid chicks!”

I turned away from him, not wanting to listen to another word.

That night I ran home, locking myself into my room. My heart was broken. Or more like ripped out of my chest and tossed into the ocean. Kris must think I’m a complete pathetic loser now. I just want to go in a hole and die.

I’m such a loser.

 

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

haiii .... I'm so sory for taking to much time to update..I hope you like it :) enjoy