and the sun

and the sun

 


  Sand rose around Choi Minho’s feet as they sank into the sand, his stationary weight too much for the weak dunes to bear in the cooling summer twilight. Kibum was far ahead of him now, enthusiasm for the way his shirt fluttered in the light breeze too much to keep him shackled to Minho’s side.

 


  He didn’t mind, seeing his fiancé, wait, husband, he was his husband now...seeing his husband feel so carefree was why he’d booked their honeymoon here. No cameras, no reporters, no fans, just them and their happiness on the open beaches and closed bungalows. It was perfect like this, he thought, shuffling his feet a little as the brisk breeze cooled his feet and he chased the warmth locked in the dunes.

 


  “KIBUM-AH!” the distant figure practically pirouetted, clothes almost ballooning around his silhouette as the wind caught the folds of fabric. If he’d had a camera he would have snapped a picture, but alas he’d had the good sense to leave his phone back in the cabin. There was only so many times you could stand Jonghyun sending oddly specific requests of photos like he even had any pictures of the world’s largest lobster.

 


  Too wrapped up in thoughts of
 
    why the hell would I have encountered the world’s largest lobster on only the second day of my honeymoon?
 

  Minho missed it when Kibum ran across the beach, only noticing when the man crashed into him with a loud
 
    thump
 

  accompanied by rather loud huffing sounds that he was pretty sure were exaggerated because...well, he knew Kibum’s stamina. “Minho-yah…” his husband’s arms were draped over his shoulders and his chin was hooked over his shoulder enough that his name was breathed into the crook of his neck. “Why did you call me back?” Their eyes met in the brief moment before Minho wrapped his arms around Kibum’s waist, taking some of his weight since the man’s legs looked tired.

 


  They stayed like that for a moment or two, dwelling happily in the silence that came with a summer twilight on a distant beach, even if it was broken occasionally by the cacophony of a flock of birds. “I just wanted to head to dinner.” Minho finally said, breaking the silence to pull back and look down at the man he’d married a whole two days ago in a hall half-way across the world. “I was getting hungry,” he added, smirking a little at the beginnings of a frown forming on Kibum’s face.

 


  Another silence, this time, pregnant with the expression on Kibum’s face. “You made me…” he trailed off, pointing at himself before continuing, “run all the way from…” another pause as he turned to point to the place on the curve of the beach he’d been standing at, “there…” one last pause, this time more to gather breath than anything else, “BECAUSE YOU WERE HUNGRY?” The noise was enough to startle some birds out of the trees behind them and enough to make Minho wince. “Aish,” It was obvious Kibum was biting back curse words and Minho barely had time to start running before a well-aimed kick narrowly missed his leg.

 


  Grin splitting across his face, Minho took a moment before bursting out into laughter, the unbridled kind you laugh with unmitigated joy, the one you laugh only when you’re with the one you love, the one you laugh in the best moments of your life. That’s the one that he laughed as his husband, Kim Kibum chased him up the rolling sand dunes, a path he’d planned since it led directly to the restaurant he’d wanted to visit this evening.

 


  His plan, however, did not go according to plan when Kibum tackled him on the crop of grass above the sand cliffs, bringing him down with a loud grunt and an only slightly (read: very) smug smirk. “I’d like to see you eat now.” Kibum teased, straddling him with undue victory shining in his eyes - they both knew that Minho was strong enough to flip them easily, he just wouldn’t.

 


  “I would but I have a feeling it would be a bit of a downside to the honeymoon if I was arrested for public indecency.” Minho teased back, scrunching his nose in amusement as he watched comprehension dawn across the other man’s face.

 


  A punch to his shoulder was enough to prove that Kibum knew exactly what he was implying. “Why did I marry you again?” It was a whine this time and paired with the scrunched up fists resting on Minho’s chest, enough to make heartfelt laugh rumble up .

 


  He softened his gaze, competitiveness long having fallen away, giving way to the awe that indeed, the man above him (albeit because he was sitting on him) was married to him, and wasn’t that just...great? “Well,” Minho paused, hands reaching across his chest to settle over the balled fists that sat at the centre of it. “I know that I married you because I love you with my whole heart and nothing less.” he impressed each word carefully, looking up at Kibum the same way he’d looked down at him on their wedding day.

 


  Kibum frowned and for a brief moment, Minho wondered if he’d said the wrong thing, until, he felt lips press against his and slowly turning into a smile. “If you keep saying stuff like that I’m gonna cry and I’m not having dinner with puffy eyes. Not when my attractive husband has all the ladies looking at him.” He mumbled as he climbed off Minho, sitting at his side instead.

 


  Genuine worry was folded into Kibum’s words, and it wasn’t lost on Minho as he rolled on to his feet with a grunt. “Don’t worry, because even if everyone’s watching me, my eyes are always on you,” he promised, holding a hand out for Kibum, fingers wiggling.

 



His husband took his hand and at the same time they mouthed the words:
 
    I love you.
 

 

AN//

title: on my side - ghost beach (chosen because it's a cute song and sets up that whole ~beach~ vibe)

i'm setting up commissions because i am a poor university student and i want to not be poor!

commision me here