00.

Under the Streetlamp

Wonsik stood by the bus stop as usual waiting for the bus to arrive. He had his earphones on and was listening to his favorite music. The guy had a taste in music, that’s for sure. His eyes wandered while his feet remained still. He pulled out his smartphone from his blazer pocket and checked the time. Two more minutes. Not feeling the upbeat vibe of the song, Wonsik pressed the next button. He smiled as soon as he heard the first beat. It was the artist he had been listening to these days and apparently a song he can relate to these days.

You’re sitting at the same spot by the window in the bus as usual.

Wonsik noticed the bus has arrived. His eyes unconsciously trailed to the window at the far end of the bus. Seeing that it was occupied by the very same person, he bit his lips preventing himself from smiling. The bus door opened. Wonsik entered, his eyes on the person sitting on the far end. Every step he made closer, Wonsik could feel his heart beat faster than ever. He stopped at just in front of the person and smiled.

“Hi.” Wonsik greeted. “As always, we get to be on the same bus.”

And Hi, I say hi again to you today.

The person who Wonsik greeted looked up. He had soft brown wavy hair that falls just above his eyebrows, doe-ful eyes, pointy nose and puffed lips. Wonsik found the person’s appearance a delightful sight. He was none other than Lee Jaehwan. One of the seniors of their school. Jaehwan stared at Wonsik and quickly looked away, totally ignoring Wonsik.

You don’t accept my hi as usual.

Wonsik grimaced. “And as usual you ignore me.” He sat beside Jaehwan and leaned back comfortably on their seat.

 

“I don’t think I have anything to say to you.” Jaehwan muttered.

 

“Figures.” Wonsik shrugged. “We’ve known each other since I don’t know forever and yet you pretend like you don’t know me.” Wonsik turned to Jaehwan and frowned. “I’m hurt.”

 

Jaehwan leaned his head on the window and sighed.

I know you’re popular and handsome

but you’ve always given the cold shoulder only to me.


 

This was a daily routine of Kim Wonsik and Lee Jaehwan. The two would always meet at the bus but by the time their bus arrives, Jaehwan would always go ahead. The two won’t talk for the whole day despite the fact that they have known each other for quite some time (specifically back in their daycare days).  But by the end of the day, even with the cram school and hangout with friends, they would also go home on the same bus. Wonsik always wonder what happened between them. They used to be fine until they went to middle school.

 

“And now here we are in high school. It’s his senior year and I bet he’s excited to go to a university.” Wonsik chortled. “So he could finally forget me.”

 

Hongbin laughed at his friend’s sad story. The two were sitting on one of the bleachers in their indoor court while they wait for their turn in basketball. He patted his friend’s back and comforted him. “Come on, Shikkie. Don’t be so pessimistic.”

 

“How would I not be?” Wonsik ran his hands on his frown face. “I mean look at him.” He pointed at someone from the court playing. It was Jaehwan. He was playing basketball with the other seniors. The scene looked like it was straight from a manga series or something. Girls were watching intently on the game, adoring Jaehwan. The guy does not only have a handsome face but is also quite a catch with the ladies.

 

“I like him.” Wonsik admitted. “But…he seems so far away…”

 

Hongbin crossed his arms and tried analyzing the situation. “Hm. I’m guessing you did something horrid back when you were little. You said he started acting like that during middle school?” Wonsik nodded. “Yup. You did something horrible.”

 

“But what could that be?” Wonsik’s brows furrowed. “We’ve done so many things together. What could that be…”

 

The two friends watched the guy they were talking about shoot a three pointer effortlessly. Jaehwan ran his hand through his semi wet hair and glanced over at the two. Wonsik felt like he had been shot. He grabbed onto Hongbin and whispered. “He’s too cute. I hate this.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Nothing.”

 


 

Science class. The juniors had to move to the science laboratory and so, Wonsik and the others grabbed their notebook and pen and headed to the lab. On the way to the laboratory, they passed by Jaehwan’s classroom. Wonsik sneaked a glance on what was happening inside. The class probably did not have a teacher present yet since they were quite noisy. Where could he be? It was rare for Wonsik to do such a thing but when it comes to Jaehwan, he was quite the bold one. Speak of the devil, the first thing he saw was Jaehwan— smiling and laughing with his friends. Wonsik remembered the times he and Jaehwan would talk and laugh like that.

 

“Why can’t you smile like that with me?” Wonsik muttered.

 

“Wonsik.” Wonsik’s thoughts dissipated and went over to the person who called him and apologized for walking slow. He then caught up with his classmate and ignored the heavy feeling on his chest.

 

 

Classes ended. Jaehwan was already clearing his desk and packing up when he saw Wonsik and Hongbin walked pass his classroom. He quickly averted his attention by saying goodbye to his friends with a smile. “See you guys tomorrow.” He waved and hurried home.

 

Wonsik said his goodbye to Hongbin since his friends live opposite his way. He turned to his direction and saw the familiar Jaehwan waiting for the bus. Wonsik smiled to himself and approached the stoic distant friend. The two stood beside each other, not greeting nor talking. Even with this kind of atmosphere, Wonsik was comfortable. The bus arrived and the two went into their usual place: at the far end. Wonsik took out his earphones and listened to his music while Jaehwan took out his phone and played. No words were exchanged but the two were already used to it.

 

Such a coward.

 


 

 

Days turned into months. Without much attention, winter arrived.

 

Everyone wore warm and thick clothes. The two weren’t an exception. Problem was that they haven’t seen each other since it was Christmas vacation. Wonsik was bothered by the idea of not seeing Jaehwan since there was a huge possibility of not seeing him next year. But how could he see him? Wonsik sighed frustrated with that very fact. He thought of ways to meet up with Jaehwan but he feared that he might be rejected soon enough. It disheartened Wonsik.

 

“Mom, dad. I’m going out.” Wonsik said, grabbing his coat from the closet. “I’m just going to buy something in the convenience store.”

 

“Oh! Buy me some milk, will you?” his mom shouted from the kitchen.

 

Wonsik put on his coat and went off. He was feeling off that day and he knew that chocolates would do the job. Unfortunately, they don’t have chocolates at home and so Wonsik was on the quest to buy one. It was already late at night but that didn’t hinder Wonsik from buying a chocolate. Wonsik stopped on his tracks when he saw a familiar face come out of the convenience store nearby.

 

“Oh…Jaehwan…”

 

There he was. He just came out of the store. He wore more layers of clothes than Wonsik given that he gets cold faster than Wonsik. Jaehwan turned and saw Wonsik, surprise written on his face. “Oh. It’s you.”

 

“What a greeting.” Wonsik blurted out. “We haven’t seen each other that long and that’s how you greet me.”

 

Jaehwan walked up to Wonsik and answered. “But it’s only been five days since the start of Christmas vacation…it’s not been that long.”

 

“To me it was.” Wonsik said honestly. Who knew that he would meet the person he wanted to see in this place. “By the way, what are you doing here?”

 

Jaehwan lifted the plastic bag he had been carrying. “I bought something for myself. You?”

 

Wonsik replied. “Same as you. I’m going to buy some chocolate because I feel like it. Now if you’ll excuse me—“ just right before Wonsik dismissed himself, Jaehwan pulled him back. He put his hand inside the plastic bag and snatched a chocolate bar from it.

 

“Here.” Jaehwan handed the chocolate bar to Wonsik. “Have mine instead.”

 

“It’s okay. You don’t need to—“

 

“I insist.” Jaehwan said with conviction. He smiled softly at Wonsik which left the latter one speechless. Jaehwan inched himself forward and reached for Wonsik’s hand. “…Can we talk?”

 

Wonsik grinned. “Well this is a surprise? Did you eat something bad tonight?” Jaehwan shook his head and pulled Wonsik aside. The two moved to the side and stood under a bright street light. Jaehwan released his hold of Wonsik and took a deep breath.

 

“Remember the time when we last talked?” Jaehwan asked. Wonsik looked down on the ground and nodded slowly. “I was about to tell you the name of my crush.”

 

“Yeah, and I ran away.” Jaehwan laughed embarrassingly. Wonsik laughed as well and reminisced of that very moment. He literally ran away… Right after their laughter died down, Jaehwan went back straight to the topic at hand. “After that I became a jerk.”


“You are still now.” Wonsik commented.

 

Jaehwan chuckled, bobbing his head. “And I’m sorry for that. I didn’t know how to react or act if I hear any more about your crush that time…because…” Jaehwan leaned in and pressed his plump lips on Wonsik’s. It was cold but both didn’t mind at all. There was something else that needs attention surely. Jaehwan leaned back and stared at Wonsik’s flushed face. “I actually like you.”

 

Wonsik bit his lips and rested his face on Jaehwan’s chest. He punched Jaehwan’s forearms and complained on how hard it was for him. “YOU! I hate you. You acted like you hated me and now here you are…”

 

Jaehwan apologized as he gently wrapped his arms around Wonsik. He rested his chin on Wonsik’s head and apologized over and over again. “I’m sorry. I should’ve done this sooner. I’m such a coward.”

 

Wonsik pushed Jaehwan away and growled. “You’re an idiot. I was going to tell your name.”

 

“I guess I am.” Jaehwan linked his fingers with Wonsik’s and smiled shyly. “Sorry it took me this long…”

 

 

 

 


 

Classes have resumed and everything was back in place. Wonsik was in the library searching for a book when he saw Jaehwan reading by the solo table by the window. Wonsik smiled and approached him. “Hi.”

 

Jaehwan’s gaze left the book and immediately went over to Wonsik’s eyes. The two stared at each other for a long time. The one reading sighed and returned to reading. “Go away.”

 

Wonsik pouted. “Rude.” Before Wonsik could go back to searching his book, Jaehwan called him back.

 

“See you later…Shikkie.”

 

“See you later, Jyannie.”

 

.

.

.

.

.

hope you enjoy it^^ tho it was a short one. i just had a rush of feels for this song and i just can't help but not write

feel free to SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT and UPVOTE!