Chapter 2

Simple

"Scrub faster you punk!"

 

The words of the owner echoed through the almost empty bar, resounding from the grey stone walls, decorated with flasks and sculls from different kind of brands and species. 

Minghao ducked his head, polishing the already shiny and clean floor in a even faster and more tiring rhythm then before. He wiped his forehead with the back of his hand, getting rid of the sweat which was building up at the roots of his hair. He glanced at the window to estimate what time it was by the stand of the moon and was surprised when he saw the sun already dawning at the horizon. As quickly as possible he finished cleaning and went to the owner to get his tip for the day. The owner glared at his demanding hand and his hand in the pocket of his apron. With a grunt he pulled out 5 silver Xa and slapped them into Minghao's hand. The boy squeezed the money tightly and took off running towards his home in the slums.

He brushed the old curtain made of moth-eaten cloth out of his way and went inside the dimly lit room, plopping down on his so called bed, which was actually a sack full of straw. Minghao could feel the cold metal in his hand, slowly warming up through his body heat. With a sigh he stood up again and walked to a corner of the room to scrape some plaster and bricks out of the wall, revealing a secret space with a small pouch inside. He opened it and let the small coins slide inside, waiting for the sound of metal colliding with metal. After that he put everything back in place and waited on his bed for his pal to return from fishing on the sea.

Slowly his sleepiness overwhelmed him and he closed his eyes, waiting to fall asleep completely. After a few minutes someone lifted the curtain and bright sunshine fell through the hole of a door frame into the dark room and the odor of sea, fish and sweat woke him up. He rubbed his eyes and tried to get a glimpse of the person standing in front of him in the dazzling light.

"Yo Hao! I'm back! Guess what: I got paid today! And I got some breakfast for us too!"

Minghao looked into the beaming face of his fellow orphan brother, Jackson, who held a 3 feet long fish with beautiful scales at its tail, glistening in the morning sun, just waiting to be prepared and eaten. Minghao smiled back and grabbed Jackson's free hand to stand up. Minghao cooked some rice in an old dented pot, while cutting some spring onions and mushrooms to make a fish soup with a strong broth. He removed the scales and bones and cut the fish into bitesized pieces, throwing them into the boiling soup.

After he was done he called Jackson back inside, who was playing with some kids from the neighborhood, to whom he was like a big brother. They both ate from the same pot, due to the lack of dishes for which they had no money. Nonetheless they still enjoyed their meal, emptying the full pot in several minutes. Jackson confiscated the pot to clean it and Minghao went back to sleep. Thanks to the busy nights, getting his missing sleep during the day was now becoming a normal routine for him and every time he woke up, the sun would set and it was his cue to go back to the bar. He saw Jackson spread all over his bed with arms wide open and snoring loudly, while drooling on everything near him.

 

Minghao rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and went out to the street where the bar was located. He was only 20 feet away and Minghao already could hear loud noises coming out of the bar. He quickly went to the backdoor and waited in the kitchen for instructions. Minghao said his greetings hastily and the wife of the bar owner inspected him with a soft smile before she turned right back to the gigantic pots in front of her, waiting to be stirred and served. 

"Some drunk fellows went on a rampage again. Could you please sweep the floor and get rid of the glass shards? That would be of great help!"

She gestured to the broom standing in the corner, looking more like a scarecrow than a brush used for cleaning. He was quick to respond, grabbing the neck of it and running outside to the serving room.

Swiftly he passed the owner with a sharp bow as a greeting and swept a few pieces of glass to a corner of the room.

He glanced around to see who was there and who could possibly be a troublemaker. He saw some regulars like Yong Guk and Min Seok aka Xiumin the Bao Zi, sitting together in a corner, laughing over jokes and drinking some beverage. He watched how Sunny, another employee, served a guy with girly features, but still very handsome, at the bar. It looked like some sort of mix of ale and another brand of alcohol. She gave him a wink, still standing in front of the poor guy and waiting for him to drink her mixture. Its seemed that the drunkards had already taken their leave after they had thrown some shot glasses.

Minghao turned around bowing, as soon he heard the doorbell ring, announcing the arrival of a another guest.

"Greetings Sir."

He lifted his head, gazing into sharp looking eyes and a...raised eyebrow?

The young man, who seemed to be around his age, let his eyes wander up and down taking in Minghaos appearance and looking back into his eyes. Minghao fiddled with the hem of his rather dirty shirt compared to the white blouse the other was wearing and cast his eyes down on to the floor in shame. He had never felt this forcefully stripped and before with just a stare, even though he wore some rather decent clothes for a guy of his origin.

He bend down, distracting himself with picking up broken glass shards to throw them away, innerly hoping that the person would leave him alone.

He hissed in pain as a rather big shard cut not only one but two of his fingers and made blood drip on the wooden ground. Minghao quickly looked at the owner and winced when he saw his hawk eyes staring at the blood on his expensive floor.

Minghao held his fingers tightly, attempting to wrap his dirty sleeve around them to stop the blood flow, but his movement froze when a smooth looking hand came into his view and carefully wrapped an expensive looking hankerchief around his wound, trying not to harm him anymore then he already was. After the young man had tied the ends into a firm knot he looked into the wide eyes of Minghao and smiled.

"I hope this helps a bit. You better go and see the doctor now and let him do a check up."

Minghao only blinked at him and didn't move a inch. The young fellow, a bit unsure about the behavior of the injured boy in front of him, looked up to the displeased and heavy breathing owner, trying to get his support and convince him with his stare.

The owner huffed and gave them a cold nod, agreeing to let Minghao go to see a doctor. The gentleman smiled and helped him up. Minghao glanced back to the owner but he didn't pay any further attention to them. Minghao was dragged outside by the handsome stranger, into the dark and for the season rather cold night. After a few minutes they arrived and the doctor examined him without hesitation, giving instruction for the treatment with some strange smelling ointment. The young man bowed, thanking him and grabbed Minghaos arm again.

They walked back to the bar, enjoying the cold air and the bright moon.

Minghao looked at the person strolling beside him, still wondering why he had helped him.

"I am very sorry. I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Junhui. Nice to meet you!"

The stranger, now with a name, reached out for the healthy hand and shooked it with a grin.

"How old are you?"

Minghao gasped at his own rude question and clasped both hands over his loose mouth and backed away. Junhui smiled at his actions, waving with his hand to show that it was okay to speak his mind.

"I am currently 17, turning 18 soon in midsummer. Are you younger or older then me?"

"M-my name is Minghao. I am 16, so younger than you."

"Nice to meet you Minghao! Well then, I have to go! Ouh! I didn't get to try some of the delicious Ale that you serve at your working place! I will see you tomorrow in the bar!"

Junhui waved at him and sprinted into a dark alley, his footsteps disappearing in the distance. Minghao scratched his head and quickly went back to work.

He looked at his bandaged hand, smiling at the thought that his new acquaintance would maybe return tomorrow.

 

 

The sun rose again and Minghao went back to his house, not eating anything for he had no appetite. He slept through till the evening. He would have slept longer if Jackson didn't wake him up so that he could treat his wound with the precious ointment.

Yawning he sprinted out of his house, sneaking through the backdoor of the bar to get in, simultaneously praying that he would be safe in the kitchen.

 

"Minghao."

He flinched at the angry voice of his boss and didn't dare to turn around. Again he started to play with the hem of his shirt, waiting like a lamb ready to be sacrificed to the angry flames of an offering. He felt the heavy hand of the owner grabbing his shoulder, turning him around with force, so that Minghao would stand face to face with him. 

Minghao held his breath, waiting to be lectured.

"Minghao...how is your hand?"

Full of disbelieve he opened his eyes, trying to grasp the meaning of the spoken words he thought he had just imagined coming out of the mouth of his boss.

"W-what, Sir?"

His voice cracked, struggling to get these two words out of his mouth.

The owner just grabbed his wrist and examined his bare hand. His eyes narrowed when he saw the cuts on both fingers and grunted in displeasure. 

"Go and wipe the table. For now you are the waiter, got it?"

"Yes Sir!"

Minghao quickly grabbed a cleaning cloth from the hanger in the kitchen and went to the tables.

Slowly as the time went by more and more customers came and wanted to drink and eat. Both kitchen and bar were under stress and were trying to keep up with the wishes of the customers. Minghao went back an forth, his hands filled with glasses.

"Hey Minghao! Get me some more Ale, will ya?"

Yongguk shouted drunkenly from the other end of the hall, holding the empty jug like a trophy over his head. Xiumin just gave him an annoyed glance and sipped a bit of his own drink, while Minghao hastily freed the table of ash, pools of ale and scraps of food.

He went to Yongguk and grabbed the glass and rushed back to the bar, so that the owner could fill it up again. On his way back he almost spilled the precious drink over a broad back, covered in expensive looking fabric.

"Ouh! My apology. Are you o- Minghao?"

Minghao looked up into the face of his new acquaintance Junhui, remembering what happened yesterday. He gave him a shy smile and a quick nod, to make him understand that he was okay but in a hurry. Junhui understood and make way for him to pass. Swiftly he arrived at the table, putting down the full jug of ale in front of Yongguk. He saw from the corner of his eye, how the owner served Minghao's saviour a glass of ale. All the tables were occupied, but the costumers were satisfied with their food and drinks for now.

And that was how he witnessed the stealing.

"HANDS OF MY BAG YOU LITTLE PRICK!"

"THIS IS CLEARLY MY POUCH YOU THIEF!"

"YOU JUST TRIED TO MUG ME YOU FREAKING DELUSIONAL PUNK!"

Junhui and a slightly older man were standing head to head, Junhuis vein almost popping out of his neck.

The owner stared at them, ready to throw them out if anything happened. 

"Give back my pouch and I wont call for the officials!"

Junhui said it softly but everyone could here the dangerous undertone swinging within the message.

The so called thief just blinked and didn't say anything, still clutching the old bag with both of his hands.

"Jung-Chul! Give it back to him!"

Minghao stood suddenly in the circle formed out of people, looking angry and sad at the same time.

The thief, now with a name, glanced at him and shook his head, denying Minghaos request. 

"Its mine!"


"We both saw how you pick pocketed him. Come on. Don't be such an idiot Jung-Chul!"

Xiumin stepped forward, trying to move Jung-Chul with his words to give back the stolen pouch. Again he shook his head trying to avoid their eyes. Minghao then simply grabbed the bag and rummaged through it, stopping as soon he saw the stolen goods. The young thief, too scared to say anything sunk back, afraid of what would happen next. Minghao pulled out a golden embroidered pouch, weighing heavy with the precious content and gave it back to Junhui.

Junhui took it without a word, grabbing his drink and swallowed the remaining liquid inside his glass. He put two silver Xas beside the glass, while telling Minghao to follow him out. Minghao walked with him through the door into the night, not without getting permission from his boss and waited for him to speak up.

Junhui then suddenly stopped, grabbing Minghao's hand and pulled him into a dark alley. Confused, Minghao grunted and tried to free himself from the quite strong grip on his hand, but Junhui only strengthened it.

"Be quiet!"

Junhui placed his other free hand over Minghaos mouth, trying to make him shut up.

Minghao glared at him over his shoulder, quietly begging him to let him go. Junhui just looked at him and shook his head.

Minghao, feeling angry darted his tongue out,  the palm of Junhuis hand to make him let go.

"Tsk!"

Junhui pulled both his hands away with a weird face and wiped them clean on his trousers.

Without a noise a dark shadow appeared in front of them, lured by the noise and grabbed Junhui by his arm, dragging him away from Minghao.

"Dang it! MINGHAO RUN!"

Junhui tried to break free with a kick to the attackers leg, but didn't succeed. He screamed and punched the stomach of his kidnapper with all his might, but it felt like steel. Minghao reacted without thinking and grabbed a wooden stick, hitting the attacker on the head. Startled the enemy let go of Junhuis arm, the latter taking the chance to escape with Minghao. 

"Who was that?"

Minghao asked panting, still running with his long legs. Junhui ignored him, while looking around and pointed to a stable on the right.

Without further communication, they hid in the back of the stable behind a pile of straw. Trying to get their breathing under control they waited anxiously for the sounds of footsteps through the noise of the animals inside the shed, coming towards their hiding place. With pounding hearts they crouched and didn't dare to move, in fear that any suspicious noise could reveal where they were. After a while that seemed like eternity, Junhui started to whisper, still scared that someone might hear it.

"That guy was a bounty hunter. He was trying to abduct me so he could blackmail my parents for money... even though that would be in vain."

Minghao didn't push any further, since it seemed like there was a line that shouldn't be crossed no matter what. After what felt like hours of waiting, both tried to relax and sat down, leaning their backs on the golden straw.

" Thank you for earlier Minghao!"

Minghao turned his head to the side, glancing at Junhui who looked up to the roof, lost in thoughts. Minghao gave his new friend a few light pats on the shoulder, resting his head on stack of straw. He closed his eyes, tired from all the things that had taken place during the last few days.

"...o!"

"..Hao!"

"MINGHAO!!!"

Minghao eyes snapped open, due to the loud noise and the shaking of his whole body. With wide eyes he searched for anything abnormal in his sight. After he was certain that everything was pretty normal, except for the extremly handsome guy and the unfamiliar bedroom, he turned to the creator of his wakeup call, squinting his eyes to get a better view of him.

"...Jackson? What is wrong? I swear if you were screaming because of some insect again, I will slap you!!!"

"Please don't, that was definitely not the reason why I woke you up. But whoever Jackson is, he sounds like one heck of a scaredy cat."

"HUH?"

Minghao rubbed his eyes, now totally awake due to the strangers voice, which he wasn't used to. A few blinks later he looked into the smiling face of Junhui who was squatting beside him, holding a few apples in his hands for breakfast.

"Ah! Is it already morning? I thought I was at home. I am very sorry!"

Junhui laughed at the quick apology and passed him a delicious looking red apple. Minghao gladly picked up the fruit and took some bites, sweet juice spilling out of the corner of his lips. He didn't feel the stare he was receiving from the young man beside him and was happily eating the tasty fruit til the core.

"Minghao. Would you like to work for me?"

The younger one choked because of the sudden question, coughing and trying to get air in his windpipe. 

 

 

"...o!"

"...Hao!"

"MINGHAO!"

He snapped out of his train of thoughts, looking bewildered at his surroundings until he spotted worried Junhui kneeling in front of him, his arm slung around his back.

"Are you alright? After my question you spaced out for a second."

Minghao regained his composure, clearing his throat and straightening his back.

"Yes. Everything is fine. I was just recalling a few things of the past. I am very sorry. Could you please repeat your question?"

Junhui sighed and shook his head, standing up with the help of Minghao.

 

"I asked you if you know what the beasts, the so called Unleashed are?"

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

O_O

That...took me a while tehe...

Anyways its done!

I wanted to do a bit background story of Minghao so yeah...

(bear with me T_T)

Again shout out to blue_deer for her awesome help with Ideas and writing andandand 

Check out all of her storys and her newest of Seventeen The Others