"This Means War"

"This Means War"
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~A/N: This is posted on AO3 as well it was made for Clei on AO3

Jungkook had always had a crush on Jimin, but he never felt the need to admit it. He was satisfied with just keeping his hyung close to him, satisfied with just being friends. Or at least, he thought he was. Things changed when Taehyung transferred into their college about two weeks ago. Jungkook had always had Jimin by his side, they had been friends for years since the day they’d met in math class back in eighth grade. They had been paired up for an assignment and become friends, best friends actually. They had been inseparable ever since, or so Jungkook thought. He wasn’t so sure anymore as he watched Taehyung whisper something into Jimin’s ear. Jimin looked surprised as he turned to face Taehyung and then burst out giggling along with Taehyung.

Jungkook didn’t like it. He didn’t like how close Taehyung had gotten to his Jimin. Jimin used to always be up for going out to places with him, but now he would ditch Jungkook for Taehyung. Ok, Jimin didn’t actually ditch him, he was much too kind to do that, no, Jimin would always invite Jungkook to go with them, but Jungkook would refuse. He had gone with them once and Jimin had spent more time with Taehyung which had irritated Jungkook to no end. So from then on he had refused to go with them. Taehyung was a very social person and went out a lot, and Jimin joined him often nowadays. Jungkook kind of missed Jimin since Jimin was always out with Taehyung and rarely at their dorm spending time with Jungkook. Jungkook realized while he was alone just how much his crush on Jimin had grown over the years. He had to admit it to himself now, he was in love with his hyung. He was in love with Jimin. But he couldn't confess. He was too scared to confess. Jimin probably didn’t even like him back in that way. His love was probably unrequited.

“Hey, Kookie, me and Tae are going to the new cafe that opened up, wanna come?” Jimin asked as he picked up his books since class had ended a few minutes ago. Jungkook looked up at Jimin, not realizing he’d spaced out.

“Uh…” Jungkook wasn’t sure if wanted to.

“Come with us Kook, I’m sure you’d enjoy it,” Taehyung said with a smile as he came up behind Jimin and rested his head on Jimin’s shoulder.

“...Ok.” Jungkook reluctantly agreed. Jimin smiled at him and said, “Great, let’s go!”

They made their way out of class and to the cafe which was only a ten-minute walk. Inside the cafe was bustling with people and looked rather busy. They managed to find an empty round table and so they took it and then looked at the menu. When a waitress came to their table they told her their order and then waited. Taehyung began talking, recounting a story about a stray cat he’d seen outside his dorm. Jungkook wasn’t paying attention, he was preoccupied with how Jimin was sitting closer to Taehyung then him. After a few minutes, Jimin excused himself to go to the bathroom. Once Jimin was out of earshot, Taehyung addressed him.

“Do you like Jimin?” Taehyung asked.

“W-what?” Jungkook stuttered out surprised by the sudden question.

“It’s a straightforward question. Do you like Jimin?” Taehyung asked again raising an eyebrow.

“N-no!” Jungkook denied as a blush crept up his cheeks. That was a total lie, he loved Jimin and he knew it.

“Hmm...well that’s good. Guess he’s mine for the taking.” Taehyung said with a sly grin. Jungkook was about to speak when the waitress came back with their order. Once she left Jungkook glared at Taehyung and spoke.

“You like Jimin?” Jungkook questioned, he had always got the feeling Taehyung might like Jimin but he could never be sure. Taehyung shrugged as he stabbed at his cake.

“Maybe.” He finally replied.

“Maybe?” Jungkook wasn’t satisfied with that answer.

“Well he’s hot, so it’s not like I’m not attracted to him.” Taehyung replied taking a bite of the cake before continuing, “But I wouldn’t really say I’m in love or anything close to that.”

“...You can’t have Jimin.” Jungkook said after a minute. Taehyung looked him weirdly.

“And why not? You just said you don’t like him.”

“Doesn’t matter. You’re not serious about him. Jimin’s never dated anyone and I’m not letting my best friend’s first ever boyfriend be someone who doesn’t even like him.” Jungkook said angrily.

“Seriously dude?” Taehyung asked.

“Yes seriously. Don’t even think about asking him out or try to make him fall for you.” Jungkook replied through clenched teeth.

“And what exactly are you going to do to stop me?” Taehyung questioned with an amused expression.

“I’ll keep Jimin away from you. I’ll make sure you don’t get the chance to make him fall for you.” Jungkook responded. There was no way he was going to let Taehyung date Jimin. If they did Taehyung would probably just hurt Jimin.

“Oh really? You really think you can keep Jimin away from me?” Taehyung asked with a smirk.

“Ye-” Jungkook began but was cut off when Jimin returned to the table and said, “What did I miss?”

“Nothing,” Jungkook said quickly.

“Actually we were talking about you Jiminie.” Taehyung chirped and Jungkook glared at him.

“Me?” Jimin questioned wondering what they had said about him.

“Yea. Jungkookie here told me you’ve never dated?” Taehyung asked.

“Oh...ah yea never felt like it,” Jimin said with a chuckle.

“Hmm...well how about now? If someone asked you out would you consider it?” Taehyung continued.

“Uh depends on the person I guess,” Jimin answered.

“Well, then how about m-”

“Hyung can I try some of your cake?!” Jungkook interrupted Taehyung. Jimin looked surprised by Jungkook sudden outburst but nodded sliding his untouched cake over to Jungkook.

“As I was saying would you con-” Taehyung began again.

“This cake is delicious hyung! Come on try it!” Jungkook cut Taehyung off again lifting a piece to Jimin’s mouth. Jimin gave Jungkook a confused look before accepting the bite. Once he swallowed he nodded.

“Yea it is good. So what were you going to say Tae?” Jimin asked.

“Oh, I was just asking if y-”

“Ah sorry!” Jungkook said as he purposely spilled his drink over Taehyung. “It slipped out of my hand.” He continued but his eyes were daring Taehyung to contradict him.

“It’s fine Kook-ah...why don’t you come help me clean up in the bathroom.” Taehyung gritted out to him. Jungkook merely nodded and excused himself to Jimin.

“Wait here hyung, we’ll be right back,” Jungkook said to Jimin and then followed Taehyung to the bathroom.

“I can’t believe you, kid! You’re seriously not going to give me a chance?” Taehyung demanded when they reached the bathroom.

“No. I’m not,” Jungkook responded as Taehyung dabbed at the wet spot on his jeans.

“Well then...that just makes me all the more determined to ask him out,” Taehyung responded, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

“I’ll stop you every time,” Jungkook assured him.

“We’ll see about that... This means war kid, and I never lose. I will ask Jimin out by next Monday.” Taehyung said confidently.

“Fine, war it is. But since it is war, you can’t just ask him over text. And if you haven’t asked him by Monday, you can’t afterward” Jungkook replied, determined to keep Jimin away from Taehyung.

“Fine. I can deal with that. I’ll retreat for today, but by this time next week be prepared to hear about Jimin’s new relationship status.” Taehyung responded as he threw away the napkins and made his way back to their table, Jungkook following close behind.

“We’re back Jiminie, sorry we took so long. This stain isn’t coming out, so I’m going to have call it a day and head back. Wanna meet up tomorrow for a study date?” Taehyung asked Jimin while motioning one of the waiters over to ask for a to-go bag for his cake.

“Sure. Same place as usual?” Jimin asked as Taehyung took the bag from the waitress and placed his cake inside.

“Yep. See you there at two! Bye!” Taehyung said and waved to them as he left. Jungkook waited until Taehyung was gone before speaking to Jimin.

“I wanna study with you guys tomorrow,” Jungkook said quietly taking a bite of his cake.

“Really? I thought you hated studying with others, though?” Jimin said surprised.

“...I changed my mind. I like study groups now.” Jungkook muttered.

“...If you say so.” Jimin responded taking a bite of his cake.

“So can I come?” Jungkook asked.

“I don’t see why not,” Jimin replied and that settled it. Jungkook could join them and make sure Taehyung didn’t say anything unwarranted.

When it came time for the study date the next day, Jungkook went with Jimin to the library. Taehyung was already there waiting, he frowned when he saw Jungkook but quickly replaced it with a smile.

“I didn’t realize you’d be joining us Kook-ah,” Taehyung said when they were in front of each other.

“Sorry, hope my presence isn’t unwelcome,” Jungkook replied good-naturedly.

“Na, it’s fine. The more the merrier! I booked us a study room today.” Taehyung said and then they headed to one of the library’s many study rooms.

Once inside Jungkook sat on one side while Jimin and Taehyung sat on the other side since they were studying for the same class. Jungkook pulled out his laptop and pretended to work on something for class but truthfully he was paying attention to the conversation going on between the other two.

“I don’t get this problem Jiminie,” Taehyung whined in a quiet voice leaning back as Jimin leaned closer to see what Taehyung was stuck on.

“Hmm...well you solve it like this,” Jimin said and began to show Taehyung how to work on it.

“Oh wow, I get it now. Thanks, Jiminie!” Taehyung said and hugged Jimin, he even ruffled Jimin’s blond hair.

“Yah! Stop!” Jimin cried in protest and pushed Taehyung away with a giggle. They returned to their work, but not without Taehyung shooting Jungkook a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter