final

Some Kind of Cinderella
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jimin was in the library for the umpteenth time today, his hair disheveled and his eyes bloodshot as he scribbled formula after formula for his Bio-Chem test tomorrow.

It was nearing one in the morning and by now he would be walking back to his dorm room, heat himself up a bowl of ramen, get a head start on some assignments then fall asleep at his desk.

But no, here he was in the corner of the nearly empty library at a squeaky table with his notes spread out everywhere as he tried to finish his test review. His roommate (and bro for life, Tae’s words, not his), Taehyung, had texted him nonstop a couple hours earlier wondering what he was doing, but Jimin was too preoccupied to bother to answer back.

He took a quick break to gulp down the rest of his Americano, wincing at the bitterness - he usually went for more sweeter drinks - but he needed something strong to keep him up for his last three questions. With a crack of his neck, Jimin hurried to complete the rest of the review so he could get some sleep before his 8 AM class.

Thirty minutes later he was done, thank God. He packed up his belongings into his backpack and began walking towards the exit until he spotted someone hunched over a table, unmoving.

But Jimin could recognize that caramel colored hair anywhere. He’s been staring at that same head of hair for almost three semesters now.

It was bad enough Jeon Jungkook looked like a living God when he was awake, but asleep the man was completely ethereal.

Jimin stood by the doors for way too long, staring at the handsome sleeping quarterback for way, way, way too long. He shook his head out of the trance, internally debating if he should wake him up.

They were not necessarily friends, Jimin would barely call them acquaintances, but they have spoken to each other a couple times. And by “spoken to each other”, Jimin means that Jungkook has probably turned around once or twice to ask for a pen or the lecture notes. With Jimin being Jimin, the most he could ever say was “okay,” or “sure.” He was always awkward around new people or anyone he wasn't familiar with, and Jungkook was no exception.

It didn't help that the quarterback was extremely gorgeous and friendly either. Jimin was use to the stereotypical jock attitude like the football players back at his old high school who used to for being so quiet (but that's a whole other story). But now that he’s in his third year of college, he finally realized that even though some people were still s, the whole high school popularity hierarchy didn’t exist anymore.

“Just tap him on the shoulder and leave,” Jimin coaxed himself, taking short steps closer and closer to Jungkook. He paused at the front of the table when he saw the younger male stir in his sleep.

Jimin internally began to panic, afraid that Jungkook was going to wake up and think he was staring at him while he slept, so he opted for the next best thing and picked up the stack of sticky notes.

He pulled out a pen from his back pocket and scribbled a little note-

This must be a little weird, but I saw you sleeping and thought I should let you know it’s late and you probably might want to head back to your dorm.

Jimin thought it was better not to leave his name in case Jungkook thought he was some kind of stalker, so he placed the sticky note onto his head, just hard enough to jolt him awake.

When Jungkook began lifting up his head, Jimin made a beeline to the exit without looking back.

--

After his two morning classes, Jimin decided to have lunch at the campus dining hall before his last afternoon lecture. Thankfully, it wasn’t as busy as he expected it to be, maybe it was because most of the Yonsei students always decide to drop the rivalry and go to SNU for Halloween weekend (Seoul National always held the best Halloween bashes, it was their thing).

Whatever the reason, Jimin was just glad he was able to eat in peace without any interrupt-

“Jiminnie!”

Well, it was going to be peaceful, Jimin inwardly thought before shifting his backpack onto the floor next to him so Taehyung could sit down.

“Hey Tae,” Jimin cracked a small smile at his friend when he plopped himself onto the chair across from him, “I thought you would still be in art history?”

“I would, but a guy can only tolerate so much Picasso and Raphael, I had to get out of there before I self-combusted. But that’s not what I wanted to talk about,” Taehyung dramatically leaned in close to Jimin, who nearly went cross-eyed trying to look at him, “Did you hear about the party Delta Psi Beta was throwing tomorrow for Halloween?”

“I thought everyone was going to SNU this weekend?”

“They were until people found out one of our fraternities was hosting a Halloween bash, but that's not the best part.”

“I don't really how it’s going to get any better, but okay, continue.”

Taehyung moved in even closer, lowering his voice to a whisper, “The party is invitation only.”

“How does that make it better?” Jimin sat back, poking his friend’s head with his finger, “Wouldn’t that just make it more difficult to attend? Also, why are you so excited? Do you know someone in the fraternity to get you in?”

“You underestimate me, little Jiminnie,” Taehyung scanned the dining hall to make sure the other students were occupied before pulling out two golden envelopes sealed with the Delta Psi Beta crest, and the words Halloween Bash written across the front in neatly printed cursive.

“Are you sure those are the real deal, Taehyung?” Jimin stared at the invitations skeptically, taking a bite of his now cold japchae.

Taehyung scoffed, feigning offense, “Of course they’re real, I wouldn’t be this excited if they were fake. One of the frat members is in my public speaking class, and just so happened to be a sunbae from my high school. I saved his so many times during speech days that he knew he owed me one, and now here I am with two invitations to the biggest Halloween party our campus has ever seen.” He playfully wiggled one invitation in front of his roommate’s face, “I just wonder who I’ll give this extra invite to. Hmm, decisions, decisions…”

“Sanghyuk or Sungjae could probably go with you, I heard they're both pretty popular when it comes to parties,” Jimin said seriously as he tried to finish his food.

Taehyung's shoulders slumped, his mouth wide as he gaped at him, “Do you really not get where I’m going with this?”

“What do you mean?”

“Oh Jimin, you sweet, innocent, air-headed soul,” Taehyung reached out to pat his head, “I’m taking you, .”

“Me?” Jimin asked, pointing at himself with his chopsticks, “Tae, at this point you’ve known me long enough to know that me and parties don’t really get along well.”

“I know, but still, you can't miss the first annual Yonsei Halloween bash. Everyone gets to dress up, bob for tequila apples, and Hoseok hyung said they’re planning to do a big shotski with everyone they can fit.” Taehyung animatedly waved his hands, nearly knocking Jimin’s drink off of the table, “You have to come, everyone that gets invited has to go and I’m inviting you so you have to come with me.”

Jimin sighed, “Taehyung, I won't know anyone but you, and you know it's hard for me to talk to people I’m not comfortable with.”

“Does that mean you're coming with me?”

“What would we even dress up as? All the good costumes are probably gone by now.”

“Does this mean you're coming with me?!”

“If I get to pick my costume-”

“Does this mean you're coming with me, Park Jimin?!” Taehyung repeated for the third time, looking at him expectantly.

Jimin let out an exaggerated sigh before smiling, “I guess I am.”

“Yes! I won’t let you regret this, we’re going to get absolutely -faced and you’re going to love it!” Taehyung jumped (literally) out of the chair and hugged Jimin’s head into his chest then ran off, mumbling something about what his costume is going to be.

--

“Why do you get to be a hot vampire and I’m stuck with being-” Jimin picked up the costume bag, “...the Phantom of the Opera?”

Taehyung finished up putting the last bits fake blood at the right corner of his mouth then turned to face his friend, “Well, you got the whole y, quiet nerd thing going on and the Phantom was kind of like that, right? Plus, with your silver hair, you'll look more like a prince instead.”

Jimin just continued to stare at Taehyung blankly, “But half of my face will be covered.”

“It just adds to the mystery of it all,” Jimin stayed quiet and his roommate just smiled, “See? I thought this all through, don't doubt me, Park Jimin. Now hurry up and get dressed before I leave without you. I don’t want to miss the shotski.”

Jimin rolled his eyes at his friend before stripping his clothes off and putting on the costume. He had Taehyung help him put on his bowtie and cape, then turned to their full-length mirror with furrowed eyebrows. “I think I look stupid.”

“No, you look like a million bucks!”

“That is such an overused compliment, let’s just go before I start to regret this completely.”

“Well, you don't have to tell me twice, let’s go!” Taehyung slipped on his shoes, grabbed his phone, and wrapped his arm around Jimin’s neck, squishing their cheeks together, “You’re going to thank me for taking you.”

Jimin scoffed, “We’ll see, we haven’t even got to the party yet, dweeb.”

They walked out together, Jimin double checking to make sure they locked the door before he let Taehyung drag him out of their dorm building and towards the fraternity houses on the other side of campus.

As they neared the frat houses, the crowd outside Delta Psi Beta was growing bigger by the second. Many of the students that Jimin could see were attempting to sneak in with groups but were failing miserably and having to walk back with no success.

He turned to Taehyung, “You do have our invitations, don’t you?”

“Obviously,” Taehyung whipped them out of his pocket, “I know I can be forgetful, but not when it comes to important things.”

“Then shouldn’t you be acing all your tests since school is supposed to be one of those important things?”

Taehyung’s face scrunched up in disgust, “It’s like you don't even know me.” He handed Jimin his invitation as they neared the line in front of Delta Psi Beta house, dropping the subject.

Jimin just shook his head and followed Taehyung’s lead as he weaved the two of them through the mass of bodies hounding the front doors. Besides the pair of muscle-headed bodyguards (which made Jimin question just how much funding the fraternity actually received), there were two other boys dressed in their own respective costumes.

One was oddly enough dressed in a Ryan from Kakaotalk onesie, while the other was in a Darth Vader costume, complete with a red lightsaber. Taehyung perked up at the sight of Darth Vader and waved his hand wildly to get his attention.

“Hyung!”

Darth Vader turned his head to the both of them and smiled happily, waving back. “My lifesaver! I see you made use of your extra invite, who’s this?”

“I’m Jimin,” He awkwardly shook Darth Vader’s extended hand, “I’m also supposed to be the Phantom of the Opera.”

“Oh! I saw the movie for that musical once, fell asleep halfway through though.” Darth Vader dropped Jimin’s hand, “I’m Hoseok by the way, and the social chair for the frat, so if you need anything like more drinks, just let me know.”

Both of them nodded their heads at him, handing in their invitations and stepping through the threshold of the fraternity house. Almost immediately they were bombarded with beers, some Jell-O shots, and extremely loud music, making Taehyung grin at his friend before drinking the shot down in one go and setting it down on the small table beside the couch.

Jimin stared at both drinks in his hand hesitantly, he knows he doesn't have to worry about being the designated driver since they live right on campus, but still. Getting completely wrecked wasn't something he was use to doing.

Taehyung could see Jimin already thinking too much and shoved the Jell-O shot near his mouth, “When I said you weren’t going to regret coming, I meant it. For one night, just live a little with me, will you?”

Jimin glanced between the shot and his friend’s face before gulping down the Jell-O shot whole. He felt the burning sensation of the rum afterward but fought it off by raising his glass of beer to cheers with Taehyung, “Let’s have fun tonight, Tae!”

“That’s my boy!” Taehyung beamed widely, throwing his arm around Jimin, knocking their cups together then chugging it.

Jimin did the same and tossed the empty cup somewhere behind him. He and Taehyung made their way towards the kitchen to get more drinks when they saw people beginning to line up in front of shot glasses.

“Shotski!” Taehyung yelled, jumping up excitedly and running to a shot glass. Jimin ran to stand next to him and watched as more and more students caught onto what was happening. When most of the spots were filled, he saw a familiar face of a sophomore in his music theory class, standing at the top of the table with a megaphone in hand.

Jooheon (who Jimin still couldn't believe was invited) yelled into the megaphone, raising his own shot in one hand, “On the count of three I better see everyone take a shot! One, two, three!”

On three, Jimin lifted the ski and gulped down what he now realized was a shot of gin. After he put the ski down and ignored the hollering coming from everyone as he picked up one of the many red cups filled with beer (how stereotypical, Jimin thought).

Taehyung was occupied with choosing which flavor Jell-O shot he wanted next, and considering that Jimin was quite the lightweight, he knew he was already feeling a bit tipsy. And if he doesn't pace himself now, he may just be out before his friend.

The dried fake blood on his roommate’s face was starting to smear at the edges, but it didn't seem like Taehyung minded much when he popped back over to Jimin after tossing down three different colored shots. When the beat started to pick up, Taehyung pulled on his arm and tugged Jimin back into the main room where everyone was dancing and or making out on the couches.

Jimin wasn’t drunk enough to be dancing in the middle of a frat party, and downed the cup of beer in his hand, forgetting about pacing himself and working on building up some liquid confidence instead. Taehyung just smiled at him as he watched Jimin pick up another drink off of one of the trays being carried around by the pledge boys.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter