The Grim Reaper of Violent Crimes

When The Sun Shines

 

"...of how I could love you more each day, because there's no one else but you."

 

"See, I told you! I told you! Kim Jae-Hee is totally in love with him!"

"But she led him on for three years and now she says this? God, what a witch!"

"Stop that!"

 

It was odd to see two grown men bicker over today's drama's finale. It was even weirder to see two grown men who are both heads in the police department argue who the heroine should fall in love with. 

Detective Lee Hyuk rolled his eyes as he folded his newspaper to observe his sunbaenims. He couldn't even understand the appeal of dramas, let alone this one. The cliches were always there: unrequited love, someone dying, switched at birth, lovers turned siblings, amnesia, and accidents. As he watched the television, he couldn't help but think how pathetic the actresses looked with all the crying.

"Pfft," he said a little too loudly.

Both of his superiors looked at him with such judgment. 

"Anything wrong, Detective Lee?" asked Head Inspector Jung Shin Woo.

Hyuk shook his head and smiled, quietly returning to his newspaper. His other superior, Defense Attorney Park Chan Soo, however, saw through him. 

"Detective Lee's probably making fun of our morning routine, Inspector Jung. The kid's practically laughing behind his daily read," remarked the senior. Hyuk, sensing he might get into trouble, immediately cocked his head from the tabloids.

"No I'm not."

"Yes, you are!" insisted DA Park, "What's wrong with dramas, eh? They're pretty good. Does it make me less of a man if I'm so attuned to how Shin gets Jae Hee in the end? Am I not much of a police after that?"

If Hyuk was going to be honest, seeing a muscular and burly DA cry over switched birth plotlines was sort of bothering. There was one time he caught his superiors in a heated discussion during lunch, arguing why this guy should end up with one of the heroines. He distinctly heard Inspector Jung call out the other heroine's "misshapen head" as one of the reasons she wasn't a perfect fit. 

"No, sir," answered Detective Lee, "I just... think it's a pathetic form of escape."

"Wah, see here Detective Lee," began Inspector Jung, standing up from the desk, "What makes you think that?"

"Well, it's always the same plotline, there's always plenty of crying, and it goes beyond what real life's like," explained Hyuk in a deadpan voice he's famously known for, "I tried watching one detective drama and the protagonist didn't even read the criminal's rights before arrest or anything. It's like it just had to happen. That was a bummer."

The phone started to ring. 

"Ah this kid, such a know-it-all," complained DA Park, reaching for the phone, "It's no wonder he got his job."

Detective Lee smiled as he folded his newspaper and browsed his phone for new games to play. The App Store had been failing him recently, only promoting PacMan-like games when he's been a big fan of shooting and crime solving. He swiped away his brother's text message about a potential date.

He doesn't date; not anymore.

"Hey Lee, you've got some work to do," called out DA Park.

"What's that?"

"Suspected drug lord situated three blocks away," said the DA, throwing Hyuk his keys, "Assemble your team now and get going."

"Better for him since he's not a fan of dramas anyway."

Detective Lee bowed at his superiors and got going, delighted that he got to escape the morning drama fever and that finally, he's got some work to do. He grabbed his badge, cracked and his knuckles and went ahead.

 


 

He punched with such force, it was enough to knock someone's skull out of their heads.

Hyuk wiped away the trickle of blood from his lip and slowly returned his deadly gaze at the culprit, who stumbled backward in fear. The detective looked at the blood on his thumb and scoffed. His eyes bore holes through the criminal's soul.

"I already have bloody red lips," he said, "Who told you to make them bloodier?"

Without another word, he charged at the thug and knocked him down. The drug lord attempted to throw him off, but Detective Lee was stronger than him. One kick to the shin landed the man on the ground, but he kept fighting back. Hyuk tackled the burly criminal, mangled his arms (which were thrashing wildly), and punched him again to knock him out. 

Once he was sure the thug was out, he slipped on the handcuffs. Detective Lee wiped away the sweat on his brow as he took a deep breath. 

"Detective Lee!"

One of his juniors, Junior Detective Yoo Soo Ok, ran towards him, also sporting a bloody lip.

"Are you okay?"

Hyuk wiped away the remaining blood on his lips. "Better than ever," he answered.

His hoobae looked around the scene, amazed at the piles of unconscious gangsters surrounding her senior, who seemed unfazed by it. In fact, it's almost as if he was just putting away sacks of rice. It was just another day at work, after all.

"Woah sunbae," remarked Soo Ok, "That's a total of seven."

"I can count, Soo Ok."

"I know, but...single-handedly," commented the hoobae, "No wonder they call you the Grim Reaper."

"Don't sound too impressed," remarked Hyuk, opening up his shirt a little, "This isn't my usual number." He got out his handy walkie talkie and urged the team to come in. As a group of police entered the scene, gathering up the suspects, Detective Lee leaned his back on the wall and opened up his phone to browse for messages.

"You'll pay for this!" yelled one of the suspects being escorted out. He pointed a stubby finger at Hyuk, who looked up from his phone. "YOU--I'LL KILL YOU IF I CAN!"

"If you can," shot back Hyuk, "With that stubby finger, I don't think so."

"You have the right to remain silent!" said one of the cops.

"I'LL KILL HIM!"

Hyuk just shook his head as he continued reading his messages. His lips tasted rusty and salty, but he didn't mind. It wasn't work if there wasn't a little blood invovlved.

The first text was from his brother.

Hey big headed detective, it read, There's this busty blondie down at the bar who might want to--

Delete. Next message.

Unsolved case might have some daylight after all. Witness arrived here in the station. Willing to be questioned tomorrow at 8 AM.

Archived. Next message.

Detective Lee, this might be unsettling, but we need your help.

As he browsed through the message, Hyuk's eyes widened in surprise. He re-read the message again, making sure that it was for him and that the content was right. Surely, a text message from the Director wasn't a joke, but they can't be serious.

 

Why was he needed on a film set?

 


 

A/N: I'm really glad the writer of Goblin gave us a sneak peek at Sunny and Grim Reaper's life after their lifetime. I've always been a big fan of them and was too sad when the story ended. So, all thanks to fan fiction, I managed to do this.