~Our Meet Cute~

Meeting Min Yoongi in a café

He comes here often for inspiration. I never notice…

There was nothing different about this day. Nothing out of place or out of the ordinary… nothing that could make me foresee what was about to come. I was at the coffeehouse, on my break and I had taken the liberty of occupying one of the booths in the corner to write while I eat. I always did that when the flow of people in the café was on the low side. This was one of those days. It was pouring outside since yesterday and it looked like it wasn’t gonna stop anytime soon. Maybe Taehyun oppa will close early today and I can catch up on my drama tonight. Aah, wishful thinking...

I was so busy lost in my thoughts, I haven’t noticed a person sliding in my booth across from me. My pen was gliding on the paper in my notebook as if it were on fire, while ideas came to life.

He waited a couple of moments for me to acknowledge his presence but he realised that was never going to happen. He smiled looking at the weird creature before him.

  • What are you writing about so intensely?
  • The world.

He smiles again. - How can you write about the world when it’s all around you and you’re missing it?

I finally lift my head from my notebook and look at him. Pale skinned, hair as dark as charcoal sticking from under his same colored beanie with the word “swag” on it. He had one of those black surgical masks a lot of celebrities wore around here, hanging right beneath his chin and his hoodie looked drenched. His ears adorned one single circle earring. His eyes had a certain shine to them, forming two crescent moons on his face, while on his pink lips a cheeky smile lingered for one more second before asking:

  • Are you done inspecting my face yet?

He looked even better in real life. I blinked for a couple of times before I realized I’ve been staring at the poor man’s face for the past minute or so … It felt like a lifetime.

  • Sorry… I lowered my eyes for a bit then cleared my voice. What was the first thing you asked?

That cheeky half smile again …

  • I said, how can you possibly write about the world when you’ve been with your nose in that notebook for hours?
  • Oh wow, so you’ve been stalking me for hours? That’s great to hear. Very encouraging for a first meeting. I said while I pulled my arms to my chest.

The smile on his face instantly disappeared and was replaced by a worried look.

  • No! No, that’s not what I mean! You got this all wrong
  • Pff … Just kidding. But that’s what you get for mocking my work.
  • I wasn’t mocking. I was genuinely interested in what was going through your mind. Don’t get me wrong, I come here often and you always seem to be writing something. You’re a foreigner right?
  • What ever made you think that? I asked in suddenly the most awkward Korean ever. We both end up laughing for a moment.
  • Phew I think we’re safe then.
  • Safe from what exactly?
  • From the possibility of you being a crazy fan. He said in a low voice.
  • Why are you whispering? I think it’s ok to be prudent with people given your … situation. I mean I’ve heard stories about sasaengs and they get pretty nasty.
  • So you know who I am?
  • Of course I know who you are. Have I been living under a rock? You guys are everywhere these days, look. And I pointed at a screen behind him which was showing a CF and the models for some new sportswear were none other than BTS.
  • Right … people don’t recognize me that easily when I go out like this. He said and pointed to his face.
  • Dude you do realize you are sitting in front of me? And makeup can only do so much, I mean, you don’t get a new face. I don’t see that much of a difference actually.
  • So you are a crazy fan?
  • What? No. I am a fan, just without the crazy. I love your music.

He stared at me for a moment bewildered by the possibility of meeting someone so different yet so normal. It felt inviting.

  • I usually don’t get that reaction when meeting fans.
  • You think that because I’m a fan of your music I must freak out or something?

His sudden silence told me that’s exactly the reactions he was expecting.

  • Well I’m not gonna freak out … And your expectation of all people to just worship you because you’re a huge idol makes you look a bit like a pretentious .

He was at a loss of words now. I chuckled lightly at the astonishment on his face.

  • Sorry if I come off as rude but as an artist meeting another artist, you feel familiar. And I don’t feel the need to fangirl, surprisingly.

He stayed silent for a few more seconds and then said – Good. I was hoping for something along those lines. You are quite straightforward. I think I’m having a cultural shock or something. Are all girls like this in … where did you say you were from?

  • I didn’t. I come from far away.
  • And what is someone from far away doing here? I mean here in this place.
  • I work here
  • What? But I though you’re an artist.
  • A struggling artist you might say. I laugh slightly thinking of my current situation. I need to feed myself.
  • Yeah I get what you mean. I’ve been there myself in the past.
  • And look at you now. That gives me hope somehow.

The grin on his face got so big it showed all this teeth and my heart skipped a beat.

  • It makes me happy to hear that.. After a short pause he said: I believe we went this far in our conversation without properly introducing ourselves. You obviously know me but I don’t even know your name.
  • Who said I know yours? I said holding back a smile. Are you maybe feeling a bit entitled again?
  • Well … sorry about that, my name is Min Yoongi.

I couldn’t stand the uncomfortable look in his face and I burst into laughter.

  • I should say sorry. I knew your name but it’s so much fun messing with you.
  • Yah!
  • Yah? I’m a 91 liner, how about you?
  • … 93. You’re older than me? For real?
  • Looks like it.. so show some respect. You might end up calling me noona. I said while snickering
  • Never. And I thought foreigners don’t care for such things.
  • They don’t, but this is getting fun, I think I’ll like to hear you call me nonna.
  • Never.
  • We’ll see.
  • So what is your name?
  • Everyone calls me Haru around here, just because my name is a bit too hard to pronounce.
  • Well that’s fine, but I wanna know your name.

I was a bit taken aback by his sudden curiosity over me.

  • Wow, it’s been a while since someone has asked for my real name … it’s Theo.
  • That wasn’t so bad.
  • I gave you the short version.
  • Oh, I can see how that could be a problem. He said and we both laughed.

A creeping Emma was approaching the corner booth slowly. Emma was from Ireland and she was also working for Taehyun oppa in the international coffeehouse. She was also my best friend here. She cleared her voice once she got to the table and we both looked at her.

  • Hello, I’m sorry to interrupt your conversation she said looking at Yoongi with sparkling eyes, but Haru, she said winking at me for some reason, Taehyun oppa wants to see you in the back.
  • Ok I’ll be right there. I said waiting for her to leave. But her eyes were glued to Yoongi’s face.
  • You can tell him I’ll be right there Emma. I said while holding back a giggle.
  • Oh … ok, I’ll got tell him, I’ll do that now. She backed away with her eyes still on her target and a smile on her face until she knocked into a chair from the table behind her. Then she turned and hurried away.
  • Now see, that’s the normal reaction I would expect..
  • I get it., but that won’t ever happen. I laughed.
  • I’m kind of glad. I mean, I finally get to talk normally to someone other than my members or staff. It was refreshing. He gave me a big grin.
  • Yeah, I’m gonna circle this in my calendar as one of the good days here. I said while I was getting up from the table. He followed my example and got up himself.
  • Sad that we didn’t have enough time to talk about the world you were writing about.
  • Well you said you were a regular here so I think we will get a chance to talk again.
  • I would like that..
  • It’s still pouring outside and you don’t look like you have an umbrella.
  • Don’t worry, I was already wet when I got here.
  • You can have mine. You can bring it next time you come. I live upstairs so I don’t have to go out.
  • It’s dangerous to tell a stranger where you live.
  • You’re not a stranger anymore Yoongi-ah I said and smiled.

He hesitated for a second and then took the umbrella without answering to my obvious provocation.

  • It was nice meeting you Theo-shi. He said and put his hand out for me to shake.

This time I was surprised at the way my name sounded coming out of his mouth. It sounded almost if that were even possible.

  • Bye Yoongi-ah. I said while shaking his hand. There weren’t fireworks or any electricity when I touched him, like you read in books, just a lot of warmth.

As soon as he left, Emma was right beside me having a meltdown. – OMG! OMG! DO YOU KNOW WHO THAT WAS?! OH MY GOD YOU ARE SO LUCKY! THAT WAS AMAZING!

I could barely hear her spazzing from my daze.

  • Yeah, amazing…