chapter 1

The New World

 

Dear Diary, it has been a month since the disease broke out. They said it would kill you and then bring you back. But you aren’t who you were before. Last I heard, the CDC was working on it. But that was before the news stopped playing and wifi was going down. My whole family moved to my Uncle’s farm to be in a secluded area. We’ve gotten more people showing up and we’ve made a little camp. It’s been really cramped because I have a lot of Aunts, Uncles and cousins. But other than that we’ve been surviving. Xoxo Serena.

I heard a knock at my door and it slowly opened revealing my Dad.

“Morning bud. Uncle Wooyoung and I are going on a supply run and I just wanted to see you before I left.” My Dad said.

I got up and hugged him. I cherished my family a lot more because every time they leave the farm it could be the last time we see them.

“You’ll be back. Hope you find good stuff and bring me back some beef jerky.” I said and hugged him tightly.

“Love you bud. Take care of your brothers and your Mom.”
“Love you too Dad. Don’t worry, I will. You and Uncle Taecyeon be safe.” He nodded and went downstairs to my Mom. I shut my door and went to get ready for the day.

I made my way to the bathroom and knocked on the door to see if anyone was in there. The door opened revealing Jaebum, my parents friends son who was a year older than me. We’ve been friends since we were kids and we kind of had a thing.

“Can I help you with something?” He asked and smirked.

His blonde hair was soaking wet and it was getting all over the floor. I didn’t realize he was only wearing sweatpants.

“Put a shirt on. Nobody wants to see that. Also clean up, we have like 100 people living here.” I responded back.

“You got it Mom.” He chuckled and walked away. I rolled my eyes and went to brush my teeth.

After brushing my teeth I went downstairs.

“Morning sunshine!” My Mom greeted me as she attempted to cook spam.

I smiled at her and saw my Grandma sitting alone on the couch. She was in shape for an 85 year old but her time would come soon. I hope it would be because of old age and not getting ripped apart by those monsters. I went and sat next to her and gave her a hug. She smiled weakly at me and brushed her hands through my thick brown hair.

“How are you?” I asked.

“I’m old!” She said and laughed.

“Did you say goodbye to your father?” She asked. I nodded.

“Good, you should always kiss and hug before one of us leaves camp to go on a run. You never know if they’re coming back or not.” She said sadly. I nodded

. “I know Grandma. But he will make it back. I’m sure of it.” I squeezed her hand reassuringly and went to check on the armory.

“How we doing?” I asked my cousin Junho

“As long as the dead don’t come knocking at our door we should be fine. Maybe your Dad and Uncle Wooyoung will bring back some more ammo.” Junho said reassuringly. I patted his back and went to grab breakfast.

“Did you wanna make a run into town?” Jaebum asked.

“Sure. When my Dad gets back or like today?” I asked curiously.

“It’s not that far so we can go today. Meet you at the truck after breakfast?” I nodded and went to inform my mother who was taking care of my little brother Henry.

“Hey Mom, Jaebum and I are going into town to see if we can find anything useful.” I said.

“Serena don’t you think you should wait until Dad gets back or if one of us goes with you.” She said worriedly. I breathed heavily and tried not to roll my eyes. 18 years old and she still thinks I’m a baby.

“You don’t have to worry Mom, we won’t be long. Besides it would be better if few of us go. We don’t want too many people out there.” She looked at me with her hand on her chin.

“Fine. Be safe and watch out for each other. Take one of the rifles with you.”
“ I will Mom. Don’t worry, I’ve done this before.” I hugged her tightly and went outside to meet Jaebum.

Patrick and I both brought a rifle, one handgun, a knife and a backpack to pack anything that we find.

“Did your Mom not want you to come?” Patrick asked. “She wanted one of my Aunts or Uncles to go with us. I can handle it without them.”
“She’s just worried about you, you are her only daughter.”
“Yeah I know but she would be ok if one of my brothers went.”
“I don’t think she will let Henry go. Only Mark and Jackon.” Jaebum said jokingly. We both let out a little laugh. Soon enough we got into town.

“Grocery store first, pharmacy after.” I said.

Jaebum nodded and we both went in with our guns raised. Patrick knocked at the door twice and 2 dead ones showed up and smashed themselves against the door trying to get us.

“Back up.” Jaebum said and opened the door.

We took out our knives and stabbed them in the head. Blood gushed out and some of it got on us.

“Wanna split up?” I asked. Jaebum shook his head.

“We should stick together just to be safe.” I rolled my eyes.

“Big baby.” I snickered.

*BANG* We ducked down. *BANG BANG* The noise was coming from outside. We slowly walked to the door and saw a scared family. An older male was shooting a dead one but kept on missing the head.

“No Serena.” Jaebum said.

“Really? It’s just one. I can do it.” I argued.

“It’s not our problem. We are here to scavenge for food.” I sighed heavily.

“Fine, you’re right. It is not our problem.” Jaebum turned around to go back to the food section and I took that opportunity to run out and help.

“SERENA!” Jaebum yelled angrily. I ran outside to help them.

“Back up!!” I yelled to the family. I took out my knife and ran to the dead one and stabbed it.

“Gotta get the brain.” I said as I wiped off my knife.

“Serena?”

I looked up and saw my crush from sophomore year. Oh Sehun. 

“SERENA!” Jaebum came out looking really angry.

“What the hell Serena? You never listen to me.” Jaebum scolded me.

“She saved us ! Don’t be mad.” Sehun's sister Anna said.

“Do you guys have a camp?” Sehun asked.

“No.” Jaebum said sternly.

“Yes we do.” Jaebum grabbed my arm and pulled me aside.

“We don’t have enough food and ammo to take in another family Serena. You’re putting our families and others at risk by bringing them. What if they try something and turn on us??” Jaebum said sternly.

“They won’t. I know them. They’re good people.” I said.

I was gonna walk past Jaebum but he grabbed my arm.

“If they pull something on us, it’s on you.” I shook his arm up and walked back to Sehun and his family.

“We’ll take you to our camp. Our car is over here.” We all walked to our car and piled in. I drove and Jaebum was in the passenger's seat with an annoyed expression on his face.

When we got back to camp we brought them Oh’s inside.

“Everyone! I brought a family in. They don’t seem experienced with guns or the dead ones.” I said.

“Serena, come here.” My uncle Jo Kwon called. I walked over to him and he set his hand on my shoulder.

“Why’d you bring strangers here?” He asked.

“They’re not. I went to school with the boy. He’s my friend.” Uncle Jo Kwon looked over at them and back at me.

“They have a little girl with them. They wouldn’t survive in this Texas heat.” Uncle Jo Kwon nodded his head and we both walked back to them.

“You will all be assigned a job in camp. Everyone above the age of 11 will learn how to shoot a gun. The minute you stop pulling your weight, we will exile you.” Uncle Jo Kwon said sternly. Sehun's father nodded.

“I’ll show you to where you’ll stay.” I said. I brought them to the very last bedroom.

“Sadly we only have one king size air mattress. But the room is a good size considering there are only 4 of you.”
“Thank you Serena. It means a lot.” Sehun said genuinely and smiled.

I smiled back at him and made my way to the door.

“Oh I forgot to mention something.” I said and stopped at the door.

“My Uncle Jo Kwon didn’t say this but I will. Everyone in this camp knows how to use a gun. One wrong move and we will not hesitate to kill you. Tomorrow we will assign all of you jobs.  ” I said seriously and walked out.  

I went downstairs and saw Jaebum sitting on the couch twiddling his knife. I went and plopped myself next to him.

“Are you angry at me?” I asked. He shook his head.

“Are you upset?” He shook his head again.

“Can you please talk to me?” I asked.

“What do you want me to say?”
“I don’t know. Just say something. I hate it when you don’t talk to me.” I shot back.

“Serena you never listen to me. You could’ve gotten hurt.”