CHAPTER 8: You Won

Save My Love

It is common for performers like them to have to wait hours between rehearsals, recordings and live broadcasts. And those few hours are the most tiring for me since it has been a habit of these girls to roam around waiting-room-hopping to visit idol friends. Having to sense all six inside a single room is a cakewalk, but having them dispersed in all directions is a bit of a laborious task. For this reason, countless times the group’s staff members comment on my brooding face as I concentrate on locating them through the sounds they make. Unquestionably, using speed to find them one-by-one is dangerous in a place as public and as media-swarmed as this.

“Here.” I handed Yerin a cold plastic cup. “It’s yogurt, less fat, so you don’t feel guilty.” She was looking at the younger Eunbi as she opened the cup effortlessly.

“And it has real grapes, so you can’t share it with her. Unless you want her to die.” I whispered to her before my lips curled to a mischievous smile.

“Hmpf!” She pouted her lips and looked at me with a wry expression. “You’re cruel.” She added. Your thoughtful nature is something you won’t be able to change, Yerin-ah. So, I have to think of ways for you to be able to restrain yourself from showing it, at least to her, even if you think it’s cruel.

“I can’t stand just seeing her. I want to hug her.” She muttered as she lowered her head.

“I know.” I figured Yerin was a classic woman in love. There’s just so much romantic energy in her that she wished she could release. I know it will be difficult for her to just turn around and start shedding her affection off for her friend.

“Do you ever hear her mention me to other people?” She asked while looking at the main dancer who was talking over the phone.

“I told you, it’s against the rules to pry into your personal conversations. I don’t think you would welcome that idea either. Like I said, I find you through the sounds you make but it doesn’t mean I can hear your words clearly, especially if you’re too far.” Even if I exposed to her the existence of my hyperactive senses, I figured it would be beneficial if she did not know the extent of that skill.

She slouched in her seat as she sighed in disappointment. “But how do you know if other people are talking bad about us. Like if they’re planning to hurt us.” She countered trying to test the truth of my words.

“That’s a different story. In such cases, it’s not your personal affairs. Therefore, I can listen to them.” I answered while lifting the cup of yogurt in her hands motioning her to start eating. “Do you want to wait somewhere else, so you can stop thinking about hovering over her?” I smiled as I distracted her. I had a feeling that it will be harder for me to fabricate more lies if she continued digging into my job’s details. I stood her up and took her to the hallway’s end by the glass windows where she can admire the city landscape.

That day, I decided to watch over them by joining the crowd. It was much easier for me to filter people’s conversations if I am actually with them than being at the sides of the stage. I pretended to take interest in recording the performance from where the audience are.

As I was about to exit the waiting room and proceed to my surveillance spot, the manager informed them that the ballad song will be replaced by one upbeat song by the request of the PD after realizing that there were unexpectedly more groups that sang ballad. The manager chose a song with a less complicated routine to balance with the other powerful dance single they will perform. From several feet away, I could sense Yerin’s apprehension with the sudden change.

As I made my way to the heart of the crowd, I was contemplating on every probable reason why Yerin became uneasy with the sudden modification in their set. She was never troubled by any of the dance routines and they were trained to always be ready as changes like this were a fairly common occurrence in their line of work.

I finally stopped contemplating on a possible explanation when they walked onto the stage and there was no trace of worry in her face. Once I saw their starting position on stage, I started laughing. Sarang Byeol [Luv Star].

hana dul set dasi seeobwado

neul geu jarieseo

eoduwojin nae mameul bichwojun byeol hana

mareul haji anhado ijen al su isseo

yeongwonhi eonjena idaero

naui sarang byeol urisarang idaero

It’s one of the songs where fans anticipated the playful interaction of the members especially the supposed SinRin couple. Yerin as usual was boisterous and animated throughout the performance, throwing winks here and there, and making finger heart every chance she got. But this time, she did not play their comical ad-lib rock-paper-scissors game during the song’s last chorus. Sinb frowned at the audience as her eonnie stuck to the original choreography, ignoring her outstretched open hand.  Seeing what seemed to be unusual, the other members broke into a brittle smile, except for Sowon who was not totally oblivious of Yerin’s actions.

honjayeotdeon sigandeul ijen eobseul geoya

yeongwonhi eonjena idaero

naui sarang byeol baro neo (Yerin points her fingers at Joon)

 

Yah, I didn’t think you’d see me from this distance. But I’m certain who your love star is. I guess you won the game this time, Yerin-ah… You won against yourself.

 


Author’s Note: If you are not familiar with the song and their interaction, you can visit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKg1YyjL1rk