Stab

Five Stabs in the Back

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY "ADORABLE" ALECCHI! <3
(Hahahahaha kill me)

 

***

 

 

Five Stabs in the Back
by: domokunlovesyou

 

 

 

A stab in the back is all that it takes,

Plunge it in cold and hard and they’ll awake.

Now add one more, what difference does it make?

 

Sometimes, we all get too blinded with what we desire, with things that are of no importance, with things that do more harm than good, and of things that we know can never be – no matter how many times we try to make both ends work.

We get too greedy that often times we aren’t mindful of our actions, and most of all, we hurt people in the process. This act of selfishness compromises a lot of things; family, career and even our own morals in life. It’s not delightful to hear, but this is the reality – there's at least one event in our lives that we find ourselves in the exact place, and though our conscience tells us not to succumb to such act, we still do it.

Because how can one act of selfishness be that bad? It’s just one; we often try to reassure ourselves with such false idea.

But make it five – it still doesn’t sound that bad, does it?

"A stab at a time," the old hag, with her breathing severed and ragged, handed a dagger to the one seating opposite to her. “And that’s all it takes. Plunge it in the back and she’ll awake."

"A stab at a time, and that’s all that it takes," Momo echoed what the hag said as her eyes fluttered close. "Plunge it in the back and she’ll awake."

Hirai Momo was youthful; with overflowing dyed blonde hair and smothering brown eyes that can easily pierce hearts even if she didn't try. One would be foolish enough to not be enchanted by her, and thus earned her a nickname that she had come to like and accept - princess, that's what they call her.

Except that hidden under that skin was someone who felt incomplete and insecure. Because for some unknown reason, the one she had trained her eyes on deflected their own and chose another flower, which, unfortunately, was not Momo. This was the only thing her hand could not grasp on, and every time she tried, it always slipped away from her.

And thus resulted for her to turn to things unimaginable, unexplainable.

Myoui Mina loved Momo, but it was severely platonic much to the disadvantage of the latter, all because Mina has her heart mended to someone by the name of Son Chaeyoung.

And what was with this Chaeyoung that made Mina blind?

Momo honestly does not know.

Son Chaeyoung has a bad temper and a foul mouth at times; she stands by what she think is right, she’s vocal of her feelings, quite impulsive and everything else that contradicted Mina’s innocent, sweet nature – Mina basically was a fluff ball surrounded by the cruelty of this world.

Momo definitely hated how Son Chaeyoung was able to mend her strengths and weaknesses to Myoui Mina’s in a way that it perfect fits every creases and gaps. The girl always knew how to make Mina smile even on the darkest days, that it annoyed Momo so much that she cries herself to sleep while cursing Chaeyoung’s name against the comforts of her pillow.

“Why you and not me?”

  1. questions herself this day and night.

 

***

 

"Miguri, Mittang." Momo cooed as she held on to Mina's arm, "can we go watch a movie at the theatres? Pretty please with cherries on top?"

Mina flashed Momo an apologetic smile, "As much as I want to, I’m sorry but no can do. Chaengie's coming over to my place tonight.”

Dejected, Momo released her hold on Mina before throwing a ridiculously cute frown at the younger woman, hoping that at least that it would change her mind. Yet seconds passed and her pout didn’t even reach the back of Mina’s conscience – she just offered Momo the same sorry smile every time she rejected her.

“I’ll make it up to you next time, Mo.”

“Fine,” a sigh escaped Momo’s mouth and as she looked at Mina, fleeting thoughts of the dagger came across her mind; a stab in the back is all that it takes, plunge it in the back and she’ll awake.

“I swear, Mo.” Mina took a step closer to Momo and then wrapped her arms around the latter for a smothering hug. “I’ll really, really make it up to you next time. I’ll even pay for the tickets if you want.”

“That’s not necessary,” the blonde breathed softly before wrapping her arms around Mina’s thin body, “just as long as you’re with me, I’m fine with that.”

All Momo ever wanted was for Mina to give her the attention she has always wanted – was that too much to ask for? If she starts being selfish now, would that even matter?

With so much deliberation and perhaps desperation happening inside of her system, she finally decided to settle with the last option she had in mind – her very last option to swerve Mina to her lane.

(After up her guts to seek help from an old hag who claimed was a witch days long ago, she decided that the efforts she pulled won’t be put in vain.)

And as if it had been there the whole time, Momo gripped the dagger in her grasp and away from Mina’s view. With a trembling, yet tight grip on the dagger, she slowly lifted her arm. "I'm sorry Mina," Momo muttered before plunging the dagger on Mina’s back.

One stab.

The dagger slowly dissipated in the air as it sank deeper into Mina’s body.

“But on second thought,” Mina gripped on Momo’s waist a bit tighter after feeling a strange pressure on her back, but after it had eased out seconds later, she loosened her grip before continuing, “I think I’ll just go with you to the theatres today. I mean, Chaeyoung wouldn’t mind if we missed one monopoly night, right?”

Momo smiled.

It wasn't all that bad.

 

***

 

The next instance that Momo used the dagger was when she wanted Mina to accompany her to the library. She wanted to have some alone time with Mina whilst enjoying the silence that library offered; which, for a fact, was a great opportunity for Momo to hear Mina’s soft breathing. It was odd, but we’re all weird in our own ways anyway.

The girl hesitated at first, saying that Chaeyoung was waiting for her at the mall since they were supposed to go shopping for clothes that day. But after Momo had once again used the dagger, plunging it ever so surely to an unaware Mina’s back – the latter’s mind changed almost immediately making Momo smile in triumph.

Two stabs.

The blonde could get used to this.

 

***

 

“We’re going to drive around town today,” Mina shifted on her desk and turned to Momo who sat next to her. She has this elated look on her face as she said, “I’m actually very excited that Chaeyoung’s finally going to let me drive her car!”

Momo shook her head and grimaced, “But you’re not a good driver.”

“I know,” came Mina’s short reply. "Chaeng's going to give me lessons too." She turned around and opened her bag in search for her phone. She had the urge to text Chaeyoung about her excitement that she couldn't contain anymore.

Momo on the other side of the spectrum was in contemplation.

She didn’t want Mina to leave, and knowing how she had the power to make Mina stay, she wondered if it wouldn’t be much of a bother to use the dagger again.

Momo looked around; seeing and noting how everyone in the room seems absorbed doing their own business, without further thoughts she swiftly plunged the dagger to Mina’s back.

Three stabs.

The thought of her being selfish finally ran through her mind after realizing that she had monopolized Mina's time for the past few days, but she shrugged it off. She deemed it unimportant, what was important though, was her feelings – her unrequited feelings that become relevant only whenever she uses the dagger.

Mina turned around to Momo seconds later; catching how the latter’s face was distorted into different expressions. “Mo, are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Momo replied, “Just thinking of things, you know.”

“Oh. I thought you were starting to get sick, you look pale.” Mina said with worry laced in her voice. “By the way," there was another change of tone in Mina's voice. "Chaeyoung texted and cancelled our drive. Guess that means I’m free for the afternoon. How about some jokbal and then ice cream?”

Three stabs it already was.

“Of course, Mittang.”

On Momo's face was a wide grin that never faded in the duration that she was with Mina that afternoon. They both had fun, and Momo thought it was about time that she was happy.

 

***

 

 

The fourth time Momo used the dagger she never once more hesitated and directly plunged the dagger on Mina’s back as if it was the most natural thing to do. Day by day she was craving for more and more of Mina’s time, and she had to admit how good of a feeling it was to have Mina any time she wanted.

Mina, who was supposed to meet up with Chaeyoung that day – the day being her anniversary with Chaeyoung – ended up spending her afternoon at Momo’s place. Because a minute right after the fourth stab, Chaeyoung had to cancel their date once again saying she had to drive her father to a nearby city for some emergency. Of course Mina wanted to tag along, but Chaeyoung said she didn’t have to worry about anything and that she’ll make it up to Mina next time.

“I miss her, you know.” Mina softly chuckled as she scooted closer to Momo on the couch. “But as we all grow, we get busy with other things. I have to make way for that, I mean, who am I to mess with life?”

It was funny how Momo had been messing with Mina’s life.

But she hasn’t realized that yet.

 

***

 

"Is Mina here?"

It was already thirty minutes before midnight when the doorbell rang. Momo wasn't expecting anyone, how much more with expecting to see Chaeyoung on her front door. As much as she didn't want the younger girl to come in to her fortress, she gestured Chaeyoung inside and led her to the living room where Mina was sleeping soundly on the couch.

They'd been binge-watching a series, though Mina fell asleep just when the last episode was about to conclude.

"Go and wake her up, it hasn't been that long since she fell asleep." Momo whispered, "I'll be at the kitchen if you need me."

Chaeyoung nodded while saying thank you and immediately went to the couch. She slowly tried to shake Mina awake and ever so softly she said, "Minari, let's go home."

Momo silently stood by the kitchen doorway, witnessing every little thing from there. Her heart ached so much, she had to admit. The way Chaeyoung was so careful with Mina, and how Mina responded well to Chaeyoung's voice stirred enough jealousy inside her heart, that she wanted to use her dagger one more time.

"Chaengie," Mina's eyes fluttered open. She slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes. "I thought you were still out?"

"I had to drive back so I could greet you a happy anniversary in person." Chaeyoung chuckled. "I'd live in regret if I didn't."

"You really didn't have to." Mina ran a hand on Chaeyoung's cheek. "You were busy-"

Chaeyoung rested her head on Mina's shoulder and muttered, "I missed you." And that was enough to make Mina speechless. "We haven't seen each other for days. I couldn't be there for you when you needed company. I feel terribly bad for that."

Mina chuckled and wrapped her arms around Chaeyoung, "Oh you. It’s fine at least you are here now, that's all that matters. Besides, Momo was with me all the time. She kept me company and I couldn't be any more thankful."

Chaeyoung sat up and looked at Mina, smiling softly at her. "I guess so, you're lucky you have a friend like her you know."

With feet still planted on the floor, Momo felt her soul float out of her body after hearing such conversation take place. It was then when she started to open her eyes and entertain the thought that she was being selfish and irrational lately. She only put first what was best for her and ultimately ran over a lot of people in the process.

Mina considered Momo as her good friend, someone Mina knew she could lean on when problems arise, and yet there she was, holding a dagger that she had been plunging into Mina’s back – betraying their friendship and manipulating everything to her advantage altogether.

Yes, though it wasn’t fair that she had to suffer such one-sided love, it also wasn’t fair for Mina to be deprived of the things she was supposed to have, and it was even more unfair for Chaeyoung, who, in the first place, didn’t do anything wrong except for loving someone who Momo also unfortunately loved.

“Momo?”

Momo turned to see Chaeyoung approaching her, with Mina on tow. She hid the dagger behind her back as she faced them both. “Yeah, Chaeyoung?”

Chaeyoung scratched the back of her head, “I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for taking care of Mina during my absence.”

Momo gripped on the dagger, please no.

“It’s fine,” Momo nodded and added a smile she hoped would convince the couple. “And please be safe on your way home, you two.”

“Sure will.” Mina stood next to Chaeyoung and laced her hands with the latter. She smiled, “We’ll go now, thanks for tonight, Mo.”

After the couple had exited the house, tears started to stream down Momo’s face. She sobbed – sobbed so hard that she couldn’t anymore control her breathing and hear herself mutter over and over how she was stupid. Guilt started to run through her skin, so much that she felt the shiver up to her spines and the sharp sensation piercing her chest.

How could she have been so consumed with selfishness, and how could she have betrayed her friend, who only thought of good things about her?

“I’m sorry,” was all that she could mutter.

She released the dagger from her grip, and as soon as it made an impact with the ground it broke down into many pieces and dissipated into thin air.

Sometimes, we all get too blinded with what we desire, with things that are of no importance, with things that do more harm than good, and of things that we know can never be – no matter how many times we try to make both ends work.

Finally...

Finally realization hit her.

 

 

 

Author’s note:

Anybody here thought that Momo was going to stab herself in the end? Because after writing this, I read this with a reader’s mindset – and booooooy I was like lowkey rooting for Momo to stab herself to make it more dramatic. I got carried away by my story, I’m that lame. Booo.

(Thank you to black_starxx for letting me borrow her knives for this story and for not choking me.)