CH 5

Changkyunnie and the Gryffindors Without Mercy

“Dueling Club?” Changkyun asks, glancing over at Jooheon confusedly. The third year nods, glancing up from the lyrics he’s working on to explain.

“All of us are in it,” he says. “It’s a great way to practice spells outside of class.”

“Not that you participate,” Hyungwon murmurs distractedly as he turns a page in his book, “seeing as how you’re a pacifist.” Jooheon shrugs and returns to his lyrics.

“I enjoy being the moral support for my hyungs,” he retorts. Hoseok sighs, readjusting his sitting position slightly. He moves away from the table and in between Hyungwon’s impossibly long legs, leaning against Hyungwon’s left leg and resting his head against the younger’s knee as he continues to read.

“I don’t think Changkyun-ah should join, anyway,” Hoseok says simply. “He’s only a first year, and a muggle-born first year at that.” He pauses, glancing away from his book with an apologetic expression. “Sorry, I didn’t mean that how it sounded. I only meant that even other first years are going to be a bit further along than you, since they grew up learning spells from their parents.”

“I understood, hyung,” Changkyun nods, “no need to apologize.” Hoseok shoots him a small grin and returns to his book. Minhyuk and Kihyun suddenly appear from around a bookshelf, greeting the others in a hushed tone.

Changkyun grins, noting how often this seems to happen. Three weeks had passed since their first practice, in which time he had shown the others this prime spot in the library he had found on his first day. It had immediately become the group’s meet-up place outside of the Great Hall and practice room, something that Changkyun had felt somewhat accomplished about. He had given his new friends a sort of sanctuary away from the persecuting glares Slytherins typically seemed to receive in the halls.

“What’re you guys talking about?” Minhyuk asks brightly, taking a seat across from Changkyun on the floor. Kihyun sits beside him, pulling books out of his bag as soon as he’s down.

“I was just telling Changkyun-ah about the Dueling Club,” Jooheon answers. He then turns to Kihyun. “Kihyun-hyung, do you think it’d be too dangerous for him to join?” Kihyun a thoughtful breath in through his teeth, looking the first year up and down.

“I wouldn’t know,” he replies. “I haven’t seen him perform any spells, so it’s hard to tell.”

“Hoseok-hyung says he shouldn’t,” Jooheon says, “but I disagree. I think he’d be great at it.”

“He could always just come to a meeting and see,” Kihyun shrugs. He pulls a quill and some parchment from his bag, and opens one of his books to the bookmarked section. “If he doesn’t think he can handle it, he doesn’t have to participate. He can just stand with Jooheon and watch.” Minhyuk hums in agreement, opening the book in his hands to the dog-eared page. Hyunwoo’s mumbling tones can be heard through the shelves, asking the librarian about a particular book.

“I'm sorry, you must be very busy,” the others hear him begin, causing them to snicker below their breaths.

 

Two days later, Changkyun and the others are standing in the midst of many other students. He looks around the Great Hall, surprised at how empty it is. Just moments ago there had been students milling about, trying to prolong their time outside of the dorms. However, as soon as 8 pm hit, everyone had emptied the Hall in an effort to get to their dorms before lights-out. They had waited outside the doors, and five minutes later reentered to find the House tables removed. Wooden bleachers lined the walls, and a platform about as tall as Changkyun and as long as the room sat in the center of the Hall.

“Minhyuk-ah!” a voice calls over the students’ monotonous droning. The group turns to the sound, a small smile breaking over Minhyuk’s face as he squints at the oncoming Gryffindors. The expression chills Changkyun to the core, it being completely different from his usual sunny grin.

“Seungwan,” Minhyuk greets politely, “Jiji. Nice to see you both again. How was your summer?” The two Gryffindors answer with nothing more than a simultaneous shrug. The taller one’s gaze shifts over the group, as if trying to determine something, and pauses on Changkyun. The first year fights the urge to squirm nervously under the stranger’s stare. There’s something off-putting about these two, Changkyun decides, but he can’t tell what.

“Hi there,” he says, “I’m Seungwan, and this is my brother Jiji. We’re third years.”

“I-I’m Changkyun,” Changkyun stutters out, very much unnerved by these Gryffindors. “I’m a first year.” Seungwan’s eyebrow twitches up at the stammer, a smirk quirking up the corner of his mouth. He parts his lips as if he’s about to say something, but Hoseok beats him to it.

“Changkyun-ah is here to check the club out,” Hoseok states simply, throwing a protective arm around him. Hoseok gives the Gryffindors an almost warning stare, as if daring them to say anything. Seungwan merely chuckles below his breath, nodding at his brother.

“I hope you join,” he merely says. “It’s a fun club to be in.” He pauses for a moment, as if waiting for a response, but when there is none he continues. “Anyway, we’ll see you all in the arena.” They then turn their backs on the group and join the other Gryffindors in the Hall. Changkyun glances at everyone, studying their expressions.

“Hyung?” he asks Hoseok, who glances at him with a raised brow. “What was that about?” Hoseok sighs, instinctively pulling the youngest closer to him.

“Those two,” he begins hesitantly, as if choosing his words carefully, “well… They’re probably the most aggressive students in the club. They’re responsible for causing more accidents than any other student here.” Changkyun’s heart begins to race upon hearing this. He hadn’t realized before that a club like this could result in actual injury. He definitely wasn’t joining if that was the case. He couldn’t imagine what his parents would say if he were to come home from his first year of magic school missing a limb. “Honestly, they’re the main reason I didn’t want you to join this year.”

“Don’t worry Changkyunnie,” Minhyuk says as he sets a comforting hand on the first year’s shoulder. “We’re not going to let anything happen to you.” He then gives him a wide smile, which immediately sets Changkyun’s mind at ease.

The charms professor suddenly steps up on the platform, walking along it as he studies the students. He shares a glance with the Gryffindor students, Changkyun notices, and gives them a small nod. Hoseok drops his arm around Changkyun and folds his arms across his chest, noticing the gesture as well.

“The professor loves the Gryffindors,” Minhyuk murmurs in Changkyun’s ear. He casually wraps his arms around the first year, resting his head close to his ear. “That's why Seungwan and Jiji have been getting away with everything they've done so far.” Changkyun can't help but gulp nervously as the professor’s eyes move over his group. The professor chuckles, pointing in his general direction. The action paralyzes him, and he's unsure of what to do. Surely the professor wasn't picking him out of all these other students for a demonstration?

“Minhyuk,” his authoritative voice declares. Minhyuk separates himself from Changkyun and hops up onto the catwalk. Changkyun breathes a sigh of relief, silently ecstatic he had been mistaken. “Seungwan.” The taller Gryffindor from before climbs up onto the platform upon being summoned, flashing Minhyuk a smirk. “You two will participate in the first duel tonight. Remember, the goal is to disarm, not maim.” The professor shoots a glance at both duelists, and jumps down.

Minhyuk and Seungwan walk towards each other, stopping at the middle of the platform. They raise their wands in a salute, bow slightly, and drop their wands to the side as they turn to walk back to their sides of the platform. As Minhyuk rises from his bow, something about him changes. His bright grin morphs into a sly smirk, his typically giddy stride turns into a slower sort of strut, and Changkyun could swear that even Minhyuk’s eyes had turned to a darker shade of brown.

As soon as they reach their own sides of the platform, Seungwan fires a spell towards Minhyuk. He easily deflects it, not even needing to mutter the incantation for the shield charm. Minhyuk’s smirk grows as he retaliates, shooting a disarming charm. Seungwan dodges it, and replies with a hex. Changkyun watches in amazement at how effortlessly the two seem to deflect and respond to each other's attacks.

Finally, Seungwan makes a mistake. He sends multiple volleys towards Minhyuk, who just manages to deflect them all and sneak in a disarming charm amidst them all. The unexpected response surprises everyone, and next thing he knows Seungwan is without his wand. The implement lands on the floor five feet away, it's clatter against the stone floor the only thing to be heard in the Great Hall. Changkyun finally is able to release the breath he didn't realize he had been holding, relieved his friend had come out unscathed by the duel. Minhyuk chuckles slightly, and bows to his defeated opponent.

The professor climbs back onto the platform and officially announces the winner of the duel. Minhyuk nods to Seungwan, who merely gives him a dissatisfied “hmph” before hopping back down to the other Gryffindors. Minhyuk returns to his friends’ sides, his demeanor instantly changing to the sunny energy Changkyun is accustomed to.

“I’ve been waiting for that rematch,” Minhyuk murmurs under his breath. Changkyun glances over at him, silently prompting him for an explanation. “Last year, Seungwan had gotten the better of me. He used the same tactic he used just now, trying to overpower me with multiple spells at once. I worked at it over the summer and got better, just so I could beat him.”

“Minhyuk-ah is very competitive,” Hyungwon tells Changkyun, bending down to whisper in his ear. Changkyun nods understandingly as the professor begins to call two other students up on the platform. Jooheon and Kihyun share a glance, and nod simultaneously. Kihyun reaches up on his tiptoes to whisper something in Hyunwoo’s ear, who also nods. Hyunwoo taps Hoseok’s shoulder and gestures toward the doors, who in turn passes the silent message on to Hyungwon. They begin to slowly move away from the platform and towards the exit. Upon seeing this, Minhyuk grabs onto Changkyun’s hand and leads him out of the Hall.

“Hyung?” Changkyun asks as soon as they're out in the Entrance Hall.

“We’re gonna go to the lake,” Jooheon explains. “Tonight’s a great time to go, since Dueling Club is going on for the next hour. It's way easier to sneak out from here than the Common Room.” At Changkyun’s nervous expression, Jooheon chuckles before adding, “Don't worry, we do this a lot.”

“Will we be able to get back in?” Changkyun asks nervously.

“Of course!” Minhyuk answers. The others wave their wands at the doors, unlocking them. The first year hesitates at the doors, but ends up following them. If they've done this before, then surely there was nothing to worry about.