Final

Falling Hard

Minghao waited nervously by the classroom door. If he were to enter now, he’d be the only one in the room…which is complete no-no. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to attend university in a foreign country. Pacing around once more, Minghao started to gnaw on his lip, growing more nervous and anxious. Maybe he has the wrong class room? Did he read the time wrong? Or maybe—

“Hey, you’re new” A voice piped up from behind him. Minghao turned around, coming face to face with a tall, dark gazed man. Minghao was silent for a bit, just eyeing the other guy.

Shyly he introduced himself, not quite confident in his Korean yet, “I’m Xu Minghao. This is the business class, right?”

The other guy smiled at him and Minghao’s eyes widened. He has such a nice smile…

“Yeah it is, I’m Wonwoo by the way,” then he held out his hand. Gently, Minghao placed his hand in others. “And the class is cancelled today; I just came by to pick up some things”

Minghao wanted to smack himself. Of course it was…

“You’re welcome to join me, if you want” Wonwoo asked, gazing down at him. Minghao nodded his head, just glad to finally to get away from the empty class room. So with Wonwoo leading, they went down the spacious hallway.

•••~|~•••

“So, you’re from China?” Wonwoo asked, walking outside. Minghao nodded again. Wonwoo looked back to him, frowning slightly.

“You don’t speak much?”

Minghao dropped his gaze, “I just…don’t want to mess up my words…”

Wonwoo laughed then, “don’t worry about it, I won’t laugh if you do. How are you ever going to learn if you don't speak?”

True… Minghao thought.

“Wonwoo!” someone from across the park shouted. Wonwoo looked over in the direction and waved his arm. Soon, another boy came running into view. He stopped just in front of the two, leaning over to catch his breath.

“You didn’t have to run all the over here, Jisoo”

Jisoo stood up then, absolutely beaming at Wonwoo. Then he and Wonwoo started conversing so Minghao slowly tried to inch away, trying to give the two some space.

“—so I’ll just leave you two then. Call me later, kay?”  Jisoo ended, waving as he walked back to the group of people sitting at a table. Wonwoo looked at Minghao, noticing how the other refused to stop inching away.

“Minghao, come on. We should go eat something” Minghao gave up then, coming to stand next the slightly taller male. Wonwoo just smiled.

•••~|~•••

After eating lunch, they went back to the university’s campus.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Wonwoo called out as he walked to into his next class. Minghao didn’t have time to answer before the other disappeared from sight.

Without warning, someone came up from behind him and tightly gripped his shoulders.

“How do you know Jeon Wonwoo?” A voice whispered next to his ear. Minghao started panicking and accidently twisted the stranger’s arm on instinct. A yelp sounded followed by the whole hallway erupting in laughter. Minghao froze, completely humiliated to have so many eyes on him. Gently, he placed the other man’s arm back down and attempted to flee. He didn’t get very far before a different hand harshly grabbed his arm (again…). Spinning around, he came face to face with a furious tiny little girl.

“Why was Wonwoo oppa hanging out with you?” She accused, sounding offended. Minghao frowned, not understanding her sentence completely.

“Just let him go,” someone sighed, coming up bwhind her. 

I’m so lost… Minghao thought sadly.

Finally, she let go and Minghao rubbed at his wrist. After that little spectacle everyone started to disperse, leaving only Minghao and his "defender".

“That looks like it going bruise…” he noted.

No Sherlock,” Minghao scoffed in Mandarin.

Then the student started laughing. Minghao glowered at him; slowly growing fed up with how lost he’s been all day.

I like you, you’re funny” He answered back, shocking Minghao with his fluent Mandarin. He pursed his lips, ears turning red from embarrassment. Grasping his backpack straps, he attempted to step around the other student, wanting to be alone. But luck was not on his side today.

Want to go somewhere?”

•••~|~•••

Minghao’s pleas of refusal fell onto deaf ears as Junhui (he came to know) took him to the study hall. Sitting him down, Junhui looked at him expectedly.

Why are you staring?”

I want to know what every other person wants to know,” came the vague reply from the older Chinese man. Minghao sighed, trying to fight back a head ache.

How are you and Wonwoo friends?”

Minghao looked up, “what does it matter?”

Clearly, you don’t know anything,” Minghao glared at Junhui, “But Jeon Wonwoo is known as the most distant and judgmental person on campus. He’s even earned the nickname of “The Stone Prince” because he’s so emotionless but for some reason, he seemed really happy when he was you. So I’m just curious,”

Minghao thought about it for a while. Is that what all the commotion was about?

“Oh and he’s usually only happy with his boyfriend,” Minghao’s head jerked up at that. Boyfriend?!

“So what have you done, Xu Minghao?”

•••~|~•••

Minghao walked into the cafeteria, scanning all the people who sat clustered around almost every table. Deciding to venture further into the room, uneasiness slowly crept up on him, until finally, he found it. Smiling to himself, he sat at the last empty table.

Just as he was about to enjoy his food, two other people placed their trays on either side of his. Not again… Minghao really didn’t want to deal with any more people today.

“Minghao, right? Kwon Soonyoung, nice to meet you” the person on his left introduced.

“And I’m Lee Chan; hope you don’t mind us sitting with you”

Minghao only smiled politely, trying not to grimace.

“Look, hyung, here they come” Chan whispered, leaning in close to Minghao and Soonyoung.

All three looked up to see Wonwoo enter the cafeteria, followed by a small group of four others. Minghao could only recognize Jisoo.

A hush fell over the cafeteria. Minghao felt as if he were in some kind of teen kdrama with chaebols and everything.

Then he met the eyes of Wonwoo and right away, he flashed him a smile before turning back into his stoic expression. Soonyoung’s mouth dropped open. He whirled around to be face to face with Minghao.

“He just smiled at you!” He whispered in shock. Minghao could feel another head ache coming on.

“He only ever smiles at Jisoo; they’re like the power couple of the school. Everyone aspires to have a relationship like them because—”

Minghao suddenly lost his appetite.

•••~|~•••

“Hey, Minghao” Wonwoo greeted, taking a seat.  The librarian shushed them, giving Wonwoo a stern look. He fought back a smile.

“So I was wondering, do you want to hang out tonight?”

Minghao was still reading when he answered, “What about Jisoo?” Then he immediately regretted speaking because what if Wonwoo got the wrong the idea? I don't want him to think that I have anything against Jisoo because I don't... 

“He’s fine with it, it’s not like it’s a date or anything” came the quick response. Minghao felt a small pang in his heart.

“I’m actually busy, sorry” Minghao replied, gathering his notebooks, wanting to leave. Wonwoo watched as the younger fled and decided to follow after.

Just as the library doors swung shut, they burst open again with Wonwoo’s arrival. Minghao flinched at the ferocity.

“Are you actually busy?” Wonwoo asked carefully, approaching him. Minghao looked around, trying to think up a reason.

“I’m going to be with Junhui ge” He blurted out, causing Wonwoo to freeze. Relaxing his stance, Wonwoo gave him a thoughtful smile.

“Let’s have a double date then”

•••~|~•••

This is awkward… Minghao thought, staring at his slice of pizza. He was glad that Junhui agreed to go but every time he tried to talk, Wonwoo just shut him down. Minghao could see Junhui slowly growing fed up.

I’m sorry ge, I shouldn’t have asked you to come” Minghao whispered. Junhui just gave him a reassuring smile. But what they didn’t notice was Wonwoo clenching his wooden chopsticks hard enough to break. Jisoo gave him a warning kick underneath the table and he immediately loosened up. 

“Excuse me, I’ll be right back” Minghao suddenly announced, standing to leave their booth.

“Oh, I’ll join you” Jisoo chimed in, following after the younger boy.

Only Junhui and Wonwoo remained behind.

Junhui could feel himself starting to sweat under Wonwoo’s intense glare. Finally, he looked up.

“Can I help you with anything?”

“…do you like Minghao?” Wonwoo asked slowly, like he was afraid of the answer.

"...Why? Do you like Minghao?" Junhui shot back. Then he smirked playfully as he leaned in closer. 

“Tell Minghao something came up, okay? I’ll leave now” Just as he stood up, he turned back, “Oh, and if you hurt him, I’ll kill you”

•••~|~•••

“So, Minghao,” Jisoo started, glancing to the younger. “Do you like Wonwoo?”

Minghao nearly tripped while washing his hands.

“N-no” he stuttered. Did I hear that right? Aren't they dating?

Jisoo sighed a little, then looked up again and smiled, “That’s too bad”

Minghao was left mystified as he watched Jisoo leave the bathroom. He got out just in time to see Jisoo touch Wonwoo’s cheek before departing.

•••~|~•••

“Good luck, Wonwoo-ah, you’re going to need it,” Jisoo said, patting his dongsaeng’s cheek as he headed out of the restaurant. Wonwoo could only give his hyung a weak smile. Glancing up, he spotting Minghao blinking owlishly at them. 

“Wonwoo, I’m… so confused…” he confessed, taking his seat. Wonwoo gave a hearty laugh. 

"Where did Junhui go?" 

"He, ah...he had somewhere to be," Wonwoo answered, stuttering slightly. 

"Oh, let me call him—"

"Minghao, I have to tell you something...I really like you,"

Minghao's head jerked up, staring at him wide eyed.

“But-but you’re with Jisoo!”

“Yeah, but we’re only dating for the sake of dating," He explained, "We don’t actually love each other…at least, not like that...I know it sounds really weird but—” Minghao had to stop him, confusion clouding his mind. Why date someone if you don’t actually love them?

"I think—I need to leave," Minghao rushed out, gathering his bag and leaving the restaurant. Wonwoo could only sigh and hope that Minghao understood that he really did like him. Sure, him and Jisoo may have loved each other in the beginning but that had fizzled out quickly. Yet, everyone in the school seemed to think the opposite. 

•••~|~•••

"But do you like him?" Junhui asked, watching for Minghao's reaction as he chewed on his bread. 

"I—I think I do,"

"Then if he confessed, I don't see any problems"

Minghao groaned, "That's not it...It's just weird, you know?"

"Why?"

"I don't know! Everyone thinks that he's with Jisoo and—"

"Who cares what they think? This is about you and only you. If you like him, just go for it" 

Minghao paused. Maybe Junhui was right, maybe he was really overthinking everything... 

"Is it really that easy?"

"Of course!"

•••~|~•••

Spotting Wonwoo in the cafeteria, Minghao braced himself for what he was about to do. Quickly (almost running) Minghao approached his table and grabbed his tie. Bringing their faces close together, Minghao was beat red as he said, "I really like you too, okay?"

A giant smile spread across Wonwoo's face and he leaned up slightly to connect their lips. Minghao's eyes shot open in surprise before he melted. The whole room went silent before you could hear a lone Junhui cheering in the background. Slowly, Jisoo and the rest of Wonwoo's friends joined in as well. Minghao was still beat red when they seperated. He sunk to the floor and covered his face as Wonwoo's laughter reached him. I guess it wasn't that hard... 

End

 

A/N

So I edited this majorly because I was unsatisfied with the first ending. It felt much too rushed and I wanted to explain more about the WonSoo relationship.

Nevertheless, tell me what you thought of it ^^ and of the new ending if you already read this before