Chapter 8

Alive

Eric and Hyesung made their way along the road, past their cars, towards the containers. As they got closer the road ended as they walked over what looked like a junk yard. There were too many hiding places, Hyesung thought; too many blind spots.

Around twenty large shipping containers were scattered close together. Most of them were laid on their sides, often with massive dents and holes in them.

“Let’s check the ones that are standing first.” Eric whispered, drawing out his gun. Hyesung did the same. They approached the closest upright container, waiting outside, both on either side of the opening. They listened. Nothing. Eric signalled with his fingers.

Three, two, one.

The pulled the doors open and stormed in with guns raised. No one was inside.

Moving onto the next container they repeated the procedure. And the next container.

They couldn’t see any sign of anyone yet, but Hyesung felt the urge to keep looking over his shoulder.

 

They moved forward slowly, advancing onto the next container.

“Hey.” Hyesung whispered, getting Eric’s attention. “Look.” He gestured to behind the far side of the metal box. There were around five black bin bags stacked against the container. Their first sign of life.

Three, two, one.

Into the container, they went.

“Well this is it.” Eric said, lowering his gun and looking around the scene in front of him. There was no one else in the container. However, there was a sleeping bag and a pile of food wrappers.

“So, you think this is where Miss Kim has been staying?” Hyesung looked around at the rather shabby interior.

“No, of course not. This is where her accomplice has been staying.” Eric moved forward to look around the contents of the container.

“Right. And why d’you reckon he’s staying inside a broken shipping container?”

“Don't know.” Eric shrugged. “Maybe he has no money. Maybe he’s on the run. Maybe he just likes it.”

Hyesung rolled his eyes. He didn’t want to believe Eric’s theory about the murder. That Miss Kim, the fiancé of the first murder victim, whom he had felt so much genuine pity for, had tricked them all. It wasn’t nice to feel like you were wrong, that something you had barely questioned was wrong. But he knew he couldn’t get caught up on that, there were more important things here than his ego being marred. Lives were at stake.

“Okay, well we should probably get out of here and go hide before whoever this person is gets back.” Hyesung turned to the door, expecting Eric to follow. Not hearing Eric follow he turned back around, full prepared to drag the other man out of there.

Bang.

Suddenly they were thrown in darkness.

“!” Hyesung ran towards the now closed door and shoved it hard. The door gave slightly, someone was holding it closed on the other side. “This is the police, open the door.” He shouted. “Eric help me.” Hyesung pushed harder but the person on the other side was stronger and managed to get the door closed. He could hear him putting something across the door, locking them in. By the time that Eric was beside him the door was locked and they could hear the person on the other side running away.

“. We’re ing trapped.” Hyesung kicked the door before turning around and pacing up and down the container. There were a couple of holes in the top of the box, which let in minimal light but quickly their eyes adjusted.

“If we had only been two minutes quicker.” Hyesung fumed.

“I don’t think it would’ve made much of a difference. He was probably watching us the whole time.” Eric said, although Hyesung made a noise that suggested he really didn’t appreciate his contribution to the conversation.

“We’ve got to contact headquarters.” Hyesung said then taking out his phone. He wouldn’t stop pacing.

 

***

 

After calling headquarters, and being told it’ll be almost an hour before they would be saved, all they could do was wait, for what felt like forever.

“I should’ve told them that he was threatening to set the box on fire, maybe they’d get here a bit quicker then.” Hyesung had finally got tired of his pacing and was now sat down leaning against the wall. Eric sat opposite him, sitting against the opposite wall.

“I could’ve pretended to be unconscious, that would’ve worked. We could’ve sent a photo.” Eric smiled tiredly. Through the darkness, he noticed Hyesung returned the smile. His heart skipped, taking him by surprise. “Your smile is…” he stopped himself, he hadn’t meant to speak, now wasn’t the time, was it? Hyesung breath caught slightly as he frowned.

“My smile is what?”

Eric hesitated. He tried so hard not to say anything but now, here, alone, he felt his resistance waning. “Nice.” He muttered.

“DS Mun we-“

“I know, and it doesn’t mean anything. I don’t see you smile much so it was nice, okay?” Eric spat, he could feel his cheeks heating up.

Hyesung didn’t say anything.

“You called me Eric earlier.” Eric said after a moment.

“When?” Hyesung said quietly, fully aware of when he had said it.

“When you were asking for my help.”

“Oh, right.” Hyesung cast his eyes down. “Must’ve just slipped out, sorry.” He wasn’t lying. That’s what scared him, it was so natural.

“I liked it.”

Hyesung’s breath caught again.

“D-“

“I think we should call each by our actual names.” Eric interrupted.

“I-“

“Why shouldn’t we?” Eric tilted his head to the side. Hyesung felt his face get hotter. Eric knew the answer to that question, why was he being like this, now, when it was just the two of them?

“It’s not professional.” Hyesung’s voice was getting weaker as he tried not to let Eric know how breathless he was becoming. They were silent for a moment.

“If you really don’t want to I guess… but…” Eric sighed. “I can’t pretend anymore.”

“Can’t pretend what?” They sat in silence, only the sound of their breathing filling the container. Hyesung didn’t want to know, regretting asking why. He should’ve left it. Eric shouldn’t be like this, they had agreed. This was dangerous.

“I can’t stop thinking about that night.” Eric said finally, closing his eyes as he did.

Me too. Hyesung immediately thought. No. He shut down the thought. He couldn’t speak.

“The way your body felt against mine …” Eric sighed. Hyesung felt a shiver go down his spine.

Stop. He screamed in his head as images of that night arose in his mind.

“The way you felt under me …”

The box was too small, too hot.

“The taste of your lips.” Hyesung watched then as Eric’s eyes snapped open, pupils blown with lust. He couldn’t look away. The walls felt like they were closing in. Eric saw his lust returned in Hyesung’s eyes. He stood up.

No, please no. Hyesung thought frantically but could not bring himself to speak.

Eric walked towards his partner, his eyes never leaving his. Hyesung felt his body loosening as Eric approached, his arms fell to his side and his eyes followed Eric as if they could never ever look at anything else in the world. Still part of his mind, the rational part of his mind screamed no.

Eric reached Hyesung in less than three steps yet it felt like eternity. He stood over Hyesung, his feet placed either side of Hyesung’s legs. They could both hear the blood pounding in their ears. Eric sank down, straddling him as their faces became level once more.

Hyesung had to stop this he couldn’t let this happen, not again…

“Eric…” he sighed. It didn’t come out as he intended, his body betraying him.

Eric reached his hand up to push some hair away from Hyesung’s face.

“Yes?” he asked softly. But he no reply came, so Eric leaned forward slowly. “Can I kiss you?”

No. Hyesung thought but couldn’t bring himself to say it. If he just said nothing, if he just stayed still, maybe he’d go away. Maybe this feeling would go away.

But he wanted to kiss him, he wanted to kiss him so badly. He felt himself nodding, but stopped himself quickly, hoping Eric didn’t notice. But he did. Quickly his lips were on Hyesung’s. Suddenly all thoughts of resistance flew away as Hyesung melted into Eric, his hand threading through his hair as their kiss intensified. All he wanted was Eric, right then all he wanted in the whole world was Eric, to be consumed completely in that moment. And Eric wanted him back, it felt so good to wanted, to be loved, to not be alone, it was like-

Bang. Bang. Bang.

“DS Mun, DS Shin, are you in there?”