Happy Sadness

Glyph

I’m not really a science nerd, not that I’m a sporty girl either. But one way or another, I sometimes wish that I’m either of the two, or even both. You know how superpowers only exist in Hollywood movies and such? That’s why I’m craving for the ones that humans only capable of. This is a reality I’m living anyway, not some sort of delusional world.

That said, here I am with eyes ogling like I just witnessed some sort of terrifying monster appearing before me. But no, she’s not a monster. But was she really a human? Well, I highly doubt that.

But let me take you to the very beginning of our crazy, ridiculous, and oh what could I say? Unbelievable ride first. It’s never feel right to skip the intro first anyway, right? Except if you’re a bad reader, that’s it.

While I am, basically, a good-mannered reader who never missed any single details to just quicken the pace for the long-awaited .

And that’s how I got into this world, this jumbled as world that I never really had any liking ever since.

I read and watch for myself, therefore I didn’t need to search for some fellow fans of the same book or show or whatever to talk with right? Right. But unfortunately, luck wasn’t on my side that day after I finished the last chapter of my favorite show. It’s an animation, even.

The ending wasn’t satisfying at all.

And to think that I wasn’t the only one thinking that way, I felt somehow relieved and felt the need to indulge at least one of them in a chat.

Twitter isn’t bad enough, for the fifth time of that day, I reminded myself of that fact, I guess I’m gonna continue tomorrow. Or else I will be late for school.

And no, I didn’t stop.

I continued until my eyes felt so heavy I couldn’t even force myself to open them.

I skipped school for the first time in my life.

But, much to my expectation, my Mom didn’t get mad at me at all. Instead, she told me that I deserve all the rest after the hard work and struggle I’ve done for seventeen years.

Mom it’s nothing, I mean it’s my duty as a student.

I love her. End of the narration.

I thought I was gonna hit the bed again once I went back to my room but my hand was way faster than me as it wrapped its five fingers around my cellphone.

Oh God, I gulped hard, this app is a bad idea. I’m about to be addicted sooner or later.

Some hours later and I was already obsessed with gaining followers.

Having a mutual trust or two and being popular in social media with pseuds sure was something else. I, for once, felt an overwhelming sense of seniority whenever I see those with lesser followers than me.

Then I forgot that above the sky there’s still another sky.

How could I? I was more careless than I thought.

Someone actually followed my steps, though.

A popular account suddenly sent me something via DM. I raised an eyebrow as I unsurely tapped the button to see what’s inside.

And it hit me, that quiet and reserved people actually have a personality that tend to surprise us than we mostly expected.

She’s (I was pretty certain that it’s a she, judging by what kind of fandom we belonged to) one of those popular users. We usually referred to them as senpai. Her followers were thousands away from mine, much to my jealousy. Well, not that it’s entirely impossible for me to be in the same level anyway.

But never have I thought that I’d find someone who’s very hardcore and passionate at shipping her ultimate pairing more than I did. And to make it worse, she’s shipping the same OTP as me! I didn’t know what to feel since I was happy that I finally found someone (with that kind of popularity as a bonus) who was in the same boat as me but I was just too shocked at the same time as well.

So I just froze for like two minutes and tried to type something coherent enough but before I could say anything, she already beat me to it.

Um, wrong person, sorry.

I almost laughed but my awareness kicked in telling me that I was still in class.

With a silly smile on my cold face, I replied.

It’s okay, My eyes wandered around the crowded room with loud students talking about summer break as I stressed about a suitable topic to tie her under my grasp. Who would want to lose a gold opportunity as befriending a hard-to-approach-let-alone-mention popular user anyway? I wasn’t gonna let her go easily.

Really?

To my surprise, she replied just when I was about to do the same.

Yeah, of course lol. She’s kinda… friendly?

Oh ok then.

My fingers had never moved so fast before as I, again, typed what quickly came to my mind at that words.

Are you a freezeburn shipper too?

And that’s it. That was it. Boom!

The chat quickly became something like a long- squeals between fangirls in general. Well, except the squeals was in form of text, not voice.

I really, really, reaaaally love the height difference between those two!!

Oh God, SAME.

How long have you been shipping them omg I never thought anyone would ever consider them as a pairing like I do this whole time.

I could feel people staring at my all-smiley face but like not that I even care.

I don’t know I just thought that they are so cute? And ‘okay why not just ship them out of boredom’ because the main pairings are just too overrated for my taste, I replied followed with a sad emoji afterwards. And I imagined her laughing at my statement.

Lol, you’re funny.

The smile on my face almost tore my jaw apart, You too.

I felt like I just found my own soulmate in life, in this goddamn ball-shaped planet earth. And I was grinning ear to ear until I realized that I was currently on my walk home from school.

Already? I huffed at the realization, but mostly to the annoyance that was building when there’s no notifications at all. Why isn’t she replying?

It’s disgusting. I despised this kind of attitude to yearn someone’s attention so bad I forgot that everyone has their own life to not bother with. Yikes.

Not even her fault in the first place then why was I so.. mad?

Or maybe that’s a usual and normal phase in everyday life when you’re interested in someone new that click so much with you? Wow what a way to form an excuse.

I didn’t even pray but when I glanced again for the last time before opening the front gate of my house, I saw her reply. It was short, but worth it.

And after less than one second, came my unusually faster than a sound reply.

Geez, don’t make me worry like that.

… what

Well, of course she was beyond confused. What I had uttered earlier didn’t match with a 'hey sorry i just ate dinner' statement. I mean, what was I even? Her lover? Not even close to a friend either.

Goddamn it control yourself for crying out loud! I almost tripped on my shoes.

Err.. hey u ok?

Of course she had to ask. Of course, after moments (ten minutes exactly) of no reply but just read.

Yeah I’m fine. Just tripped on my shoes

Is everything ok there? Did something happen in school? Lol

How did u know that I was in school?

It was mentioned in your profile

What?

That you’re a student

. I forgot that I actually put it there. Great. Could I possibly embarrass myself more than this?

Haha

Hey don’t laugh, it’s not funny

Oh my bad. Did I hurt your feelings?

Well, not really. That’s not what I mean, it’s just..

It’s okay I understand. I won’t do it anymore

Wow you’re quick to learn

Well at least I never forget what I put in my profile

Hey!!

Hahahaha!!!

I love having friends, even if their entire existence could be counted by fingers only. But as long as they have the same way of thinking as you, understanding, never leave your side even once, then nothing could be more perfect than that.

But as a human, I never really admitted the perfection that I just obtained.

I wanted more, I was greedy, I was never satisfied.

That said, months passed by until our DM was very full that I probably needed an hour to scroll up to our very first conversation. Looking back, it was horribly awkward and cringy. But what I noticed was how quick it was for us to shout back at each other with full capslock about our interest, which was the same.

We learned that we’re both the same age, with me being older by months. And nationality was what came not long after. It all went smoothly and I didn’t remember when but we finally introduced ourselves in real name. I started it first.

What other social media do you have?

A lot but I mostly use Instagram. Hbu

Same. Username?

Only three days and we almost forgot that Twitter was there ignored in the basement of our phone. I felt sorry for the blue bird-looking icon on my homescreen but I just could’t help it. Instagram was more about our real life and it made me feel like our friendship just escalated into a whole new level. It’s different. It’s more fresh and relaxing since I could tell her about what happened in school, talking about the future, or just anything unnecessary.

Each day we discovered something new about each other. She had a big brother, while I had a little brother. It’s kinda cute that I was the big sister role in this too. But having a little sister like her, I guess I didn’t mind at all.

She’s, to be honest, a kind of friend that I never had before. She’s just too perfect as a friend and it made me think that maybe, just maybe, she could be something else.

And that thought was quickly buried inside my head, deeper than the base of the ocean.

I didn’t want to lose this friendship just yet, no. Just by imagining a life without her already scared me. I felt depressed all of a sudden. God why am I so dramatic?

A life without someone you felt comfortable spending time with was too plain and boring. It .

And, sometimes science is really confusing and unexpected. I mean learned Biology, Chemistry and folks until I was seventeen. But right until this point, I still had no idea why my cheeks felt warm and wet as I stared at my phone. I blinked several times just to see droplet of liquids, tears, already on the screen. What could possibly a dead creature like phone which was just thin cold metal do to make a person shed a tear?

What?

I reached to my dampened eyes and unconsciously rubbed them gently, slowly. What just happened? Why am I crying?

And there came the notification.

Hey, wyd now

My body froze, completely. The only thing I could do was, sit there like an idiot in overflowing tears. The small device felt so heavy. Yet came another reply.

Sometimes i think that it might be cool if we meet somewhere one day yknow? Like imagine how loud and noisy we would get talking about our ships or something

My fingers stiffly caressed the edge of the phone.

And also there’s this local restaurant that i want to show u. it’s the one that i told u before. it’s still new but turns out the foods there are really good!

The last thing I knew was, me closing my eyes after, literally, throwing my phone into my bed, regretting what I just sent to her. It’s so not me. I wasn’t that weak, not before I met her. I wished I could just tell her that without any difficulty.

When I didn’t see any sign of reply, I awkwardly reached for the still-lit phone, cringing at the sentence I just formed seconds ago in my ugly breakdown phase.

I want to meet you like idk right now? lol

For anyone it probably seemed like just a monotone exclamation, similar to ‘omg i think we should watch it now!’ or ‘a new menu! wanna go for it?’

But, deep inside, my heart ached like no end. Probably just my fault for always making everything so complicated. Sometimes I wished I’m just a simple girl sitting alone in the class with some books scattered neatly on the polished and untouched table.

And, to end this long- intro I mentioned in the first paragraphs, I just wanted to say that, I never believed that humans with superpowers actually existed. I mean, weren’t those things only seen in movies or like maybe animes and such? Comics? Novels? Mangas? Fanfics?

What? How can someone just..

“Uh, hi there.”

… teleport?

“Whoa there Chaeyoung why are you crying?!”

Like, ing teleport? Sorry I purposely had to curse at this one.

“D- Did something happen?” she panicked, pacing back and forth in my room. And she suddenly stopped, looking pale. “Or.. is it because of m- me?”

“Well, to start off, how about a little,” I clenched my fists at an unknown rage inside of me, the lump in my lungs did something to make my voice hoarse, ”and brief explanation first, fella?”

“Oh,” she blinked with her so-ever innocent and straight- face, “I read your reply that you wanted to meet me like right then and there so I just came?”

The room fell into a suffocating silence and I swear whoever go in would die of oxygen.

“Uh, is that enough of an explanation?”

I’m done. I’ve had it enough. It’s true that I wanted to see her but this is just.. insane?

Could I really believe what’s in front of me right now? Could I really trust my healthy eyes that didn’t need a glasses to process normally? I just didn’t know anymore.

“Can I ask you one thing?” I broke the silence and it’s like a pang in the chest when she turned to me. God she looked like a doll. Was she even human?

“Sure.”

“Are you human?”

And she suddenly bursted out into a laughter. “Of course I am.”

I gaped in another silence and confusion.

“Just with an addition of the ability of teleportation.” She grinned, “anything else?”

And I, let out a breath than I’d been keeping since God knows how long. I fell onto my bed, spacing out as if ceiling was the most interesting sight at the moment.

“Should I go back now?”

“To where?”

“My house of course.”

“Why do you even need my permission?”

“Well, because you’re my…”

My what?

She was quiet for a moment. “… my friend.”

Okay that actually got me.

“I think it’s better if you do.” I could tell that she’s nodding from my peripheral view. “I currently need a time alone to process what just happened. If you know what I mean.”

“I understand.”

I bite my lower lip. A sudden guilt washed over me as I realized what I just said. And I brought myself to sit and face her again, saying sorry or something but..

“Hey uh I –“

.. she’s gone.

And I fell back to my bed, wishing that all of this was just a dream. Yes, I wish it was just a nonsense dream! A dream.

A dream that I wished to turn into a reality.

And that night I couldn’t sleep.

And the tears faded into nothingness.

Face remained unchanged with the aftershock lingering.

Then I smiled, a genuine one this time.

Just what are you, Chou Tzuyu?