Me Beside You

Me Beside You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyomin’s POV

 

I hear the talk behind my back, they don’t mean to be cruel, they just don’t know what I’m going through. If love is not a crime, then I choose not to turn away and hold on to it. Someday I know I’ll regret for what I take but I’m better off a fool if I don’t have to lose you.

 

“Hyomin, this is not the first time” Soyeon unnie was talking to me

“It is not as it seems” I told Soyeon unnie

“Here you go again” She said.

“She wouldn’t do that” I convinced

“Huh? What’s else proof you need for you to believe she is cheating on you ?” Soyeon asked.

“Unnie, she is not” I looked away

“I can’t believe you protect her even when she hurt you?” Soyeon unnie shook her head

“She didn’t” I defended

 “You must be crazy Hyomin” Soyeon unnie commented but I didn’t get mad at her at all, because I knew I was.

“That is her friend” I explained to Soyeon unnie.

“Then how about the time when that kid kissed another guy?” Soyeon asked a question that was like a knife that stabbed me all over

“She didn’t mean it” I defended it

“What? You’re blind” Soyeon unnie raised her voice

“She explained it was an accident; she was playing games with her friends and she was drunk” I explained

“And you believed it? Soyeon unnie asked, and I nodded, “Unbelievable Hyomin” She added.

“Unnie, please, I know you worry about me, but there is nothing going on” I didn’t want to continue the conversation that gave me nothing but misery.

 “Think about it Hyomin, it was only few times that my boyfriend’s sister happened to witness it, how about other things you didn’t find out” She asked seriously.

“I don’t wanna know about it” I couldn’t provide her the answer.

“Stop fooling yourself Hyomin” Soyeon unnie shook her head.

“I love her and I can’t stop it” I admitted

“And you chose to turn your back to all the truths?” Soyeon unnie sounded so disappointed.

“There were just misunderstanding” I defended

“Enough Hyomin, you know you are defending her like a crazy” Soyeon unnie shook her head, refusing to listen.

“Soyeon unnie, I know you care but please let this slip for once” I took my half-sister’s hand.

“You’re gonna miss a lot in your life” Soyeon looked away.

“I know it sounds crazy but it is killing me to think about not being with her” I confessed.

“Oh Hyomin” Soyeon gave me a sympathy look, shaking her head.

 

And it always turns out this way, not a nice catch-up or talk, my conversation with my half-sister hasn’t involved much lately besides the things she heard about her. I don’t care if people thought that I am a fool, I don’t care it’s truth or lie, I am buying the time.

 

I see you smiling as you wave goodbye to your friend, and walk toward the car I’m waiting inside, the angelic face doesn’t fit your cold smile.

 

“How was your day?” I greeted her with my happy smile.

“Ton of assignments were killing me” Jiyeon sighed “How was your Hyomin unnie?” She asked

“My long day at work was not fun either” I replied.

“You seem tired” Jiyeon looked at me

“Not really” I smiled reassured

“How I wish I graduated already so I didn’t have to come to university” Jiyeon buckled her seatbelt

“Enjoy your youth while you are young” I said as I reverted the car.

“I want to start working already” Jiyeon looked like she was thinking about something

“It’s not fun as you may imagine” I told her

“I don’t expect life to be fun, I’d know better” Jiyeon said

“You’ll regret growing up” I warned her.

“I don’t mind it, we ain’t getting younger” She said

“Seem like you really want to be an adult” I commented

“There are a lot I want to do” Jiyeon said

“Like?” I asked

“Work, earn, travel” Jiyeon named what she wanted to do.

“It will come with time, meanwhile just focus on your study” I suggested “I’ll take care of the rest” I added.

“I want to do things on my own” Jiyeon cut with her cold tone. I knew when to stop, she wasn’t pleased.

Jiyeon has changed a lot these couple years, both physically and mentally, I understand it’s natural and certain, it is new turning pages of life as Jiyeon was in transition time from teenage turning to young adult. She has her own perspective of life and her way to go, but I just could get over it why once a very sweet girl was turning quiet and cold and picked up some habit I could not understand, moreover she did things that I didn’t expect. Time gives us something and takes a lot from us too.

 

8 years ago

 

“Hello” A girl in high school uniform greeted Hyomin

“Are you talking to me? Hyomin looked around, pointing at herself

“I see only one beautiful here” Jiyeon chased up to walk by Hyomin’s side.

 “Ooh, such a sweet talker, kid” Hyomin looked at the girl beside her, she looked cute.

“I’m not kid, I’m already 15” Jiyeon argued.

“Well, I’m 19, so you are kiddo to me” Hyomin said.

“I’ll call you unnie then” Jiyeon said.

“Well that’s what you are supposed to do” Hyomin kept waking

“I’m Jiyeon” Jiyeon introduced.

“It’s nice to meet you Jiyeon, I’m Hyomin, you can call me Hyomin unnie”, Hyomin said, smiling at the cute girl

“I know your name, we are neighbors” Jiyeon stated, which made Hyomin surprise

“Oh really? I didn’t see you before” Hyomin said

“I saw you and heard your mother calling your name every morning” Jiyeon laughed

“Are you kidding me? Hyomin was surprised with this newfound information.

“I live next door to you , a blue house to your left” Jiyeon described.

“ Oh” Hyomin made a round “o” mouth. “Is my mom that loud?”  Hyomin laughed dryly

 “You are loud too?” Jiyeon frankly said.

“Am I ?” Hyomin widened her eyes.

“Yeah I hear you sing in the balcony” Jiyeon smirked

“That’s embarrassing” Hyomin felt her cheek hot, she didn’t know she was overheard.

“ But I love to hear you sing” Jiyeon commented

“You are like little stalker” Hyomin playfully commented

“I’m not, our rooms are just facing the same direction” Jiyeon added

“Sorry I didn’t know you could hear” Hyomin apologized for disturb her little neighbor 

“No worries, Hyomin unnie, you have such a beautiful voice so it’s forgivable” Jiyeon gave her a wide smile.

“Ah, thank you” Hyomin took the compliment shyly

 “Can we be friends?” Jiyeon asked

 “Um, I’m older than you, I can be your senior” Hyomin crossed her brow.

“But I prefer to be your friend than sister” Jiyeon pouted, Hyomin couldn’t help but smiled

“Fine, let’s be friend, kiddo” Hyomin stretched her hand out for hand shack which Jiyeon gladly took it.

Jiyeon who was so attached to her neighbor friend, always climbed up the waist length concrete wall that separated between two houses to visit Hyomin. Stubborn younger friend who always made Hyomin laugh and smile with her mischief and bad habit, Hyomin always nagged her out of care but Jiyeon could only smile as understanding, and she was the same person who shed Hyomin’s tear when the older girl was going through the great loss of her beloved mother, never knew the whining kid who always needed Hyomin’s attention would turn to be a strong person who shielded Hyomin with her protective arms when Hyomin needed someone the most.

 

6 years ago

 

“Jiyeon!” I came back home to find a shivering soaking wet girl sitting outside my door. Upon hearing the call, Jiyeon looked up, her face was pale and her eyes were swollen.

“Hyomin unnie” Jiyeon slowly stood up.

“What’s wrong?” I put down the umbrella as slight rain that didn’t completely stop, just couldn’t bother me anymore

“My parents divorced” Jiyeon informed

“Oh no, Jiyeon” I hugged her without caring that Jiyeon was soaking wet.

“They are selfish” Jiyeon commented

“Don’t say so Jiyeon” I comforted her though I knew nothing would make sense now.

“They don't care how I would feel” Jiyeon blamed her parents for her heart break of family falling apart.

“They do care about you and love you, they just ….” I didn’t know what else to explain

“They don’t love each other anymore” Jiyeon finished

“You’ll understand it when you grow up” I carefully reasoned.

“Unnie, can I stay with you?” Jiyeon begged

“Yes, you can until you wanna leave” I said

“Thank you” Jiyeon hugged me back

 

From the moment, I took Jiyeon in, never knew how long she would stay, I just wanted to be there for her, taking care of her. She came into my life, knocked on the door to my heart, time went by, without us knowing, we developed the feeling as we spent time closely together, we fell in love, and I was the one who fell hard, as I never thought I would. From little sister next door, Jiyeon has become the important part of my life, a person I realized I love more than my life itself, and I would do anything to make her stay, new whole level of relationship took place, and by the time I know it, Jiyeon has grown up from high schooler to pre-graduate college student, who changes as time goes by, while I’ve turned myself from newly graduate to working age woman but I don’t remember myself being changed.   

 

Present

 

“Jiyeon , please stop playing with your phone and eat already” I told her as I found her not paying attention at the food at all. Jiyeon looked displeased as she took her eyes off the phone and put it away.

“What is with that look Jiyeon?” I could not tolerate with such a behavior.

“Hyomin unnie, please stop treating me like a kid” Jiyeon said annoying.

“I will not if you don’t act like one” I said impatiently

“Tell me about it” Jiyeon looked more displeased.

“We are here to have dinner, and I want to spend time with you after the long day at work, but look at you, you keep playing your damn phone” I ranted it out hoping to make her realize how childish she acted.

“I was talking to my friend and I told you if you are tired or had a bad day at work, we could just go straight home” Jiyeon retorted

“Ok, I’m sorry then if I just want you to have a nice meal” I wasn’t not completely happy with what Jiyeon just said.

“You are always like this” Jiyeon criticized

“Yes, I’m always like this, but it’s you who have changed, Jiyeon” I looked straight at her and this time she looked away, then we started to eat in silence until someone I knew came and greeted us.

“Hey, Hyomin ssi” A guy from finance department approached me

“Hello Junsu” I greeted him back.

“Didn’t know you would come here for dinner” Junsu pursued the conversation

“Just randomly picked it” I answered.

“And a pretty lady here?” Junsu looked at Jiyeon who was facing in the opposite site, she just stared at him without introducing herself.

“Park Jiyeon” I introduced.

“Hello Jiyeon ssi” He stretched out his hand for hand shaking but she just slightly bowed and didn’t take it.

“Jiyeon, this is Kim Junsu, my colleague” I formally introduced.

“Hello” Jiyeon said before paying her attention back to her food.

 “Are you guys sisters?” Junsu questioned, shyly looked at Jiyeon

“No, we are not” I awkwardly looked at Jiyeon before confirming it.

“Oh, ok, just wonder because you two share the same last name and I thought you guys look alike in some ways” Junsu explained.

“Ah” I said, relieved he didn’t continue asking.  Jiyeon gave him a very unfriendly stare.

“Ok, please enjoy your dinner, it’s nice to see you here” Junsu tried to retreat himself

“You too” I said

When Junsu left, I look at Jiyeon , her straight face didn’t make her so social.

“Please don’t tell me how to behave” Jiyeon started, knowing what I was going to say. I could just sigh

 

+++++++++++++++++

 

No one’s POV

“Hyomin unnie, I can go to college by myself” Jiyeon told as she saw Hyomin getting dress

“Why? I always drop you off at college” Hyomin raised her brow

“I wanna take subway” Jiyeon reasoned

“Isn’t it better to get on a ride?” Hyomin asked

“It’s more convenient to do things on my own” Jiyeon told Hyomin

“Thought it’s more comfortable on a car besides I have to pass your college on the way to work anyway” Hyomin turned around to face Jiyeon

“I want to try a life without you pampering me” Jiyeon said, “ And I don’t want to be seen dropping off like kid” She added.

“If you say so” Hyomin got upset with the way Jiyeon slowly excluded her from her life.

“And tonight I’m going to party with my friend so please don’t wait up for me” Jiyeon informed

“Ok, please don’t come home too late” Hyomin forced herself to pretend to be okay

“I’m headed off now” Jiyeon told Hyomin as she was leaving their room.

“Ji …” Hyomin just stared at the empty door way.

“Can’t you wait a bit longer? I’m not ready to let you fly away just yet” Hyomin whispered to the air

 

Change was scary, and painful, but sometimes we had to take the changes, bend to them to move on, nothing lasted forever, and for those who could accept it, would have to suffer from their own disappointment to expect that things would always remain the same as the way they wanted, loved or be comfortable around it, and denied the changes. Hyomin was the victim of it, she tended to cling to the sweet memories of their time, and remembered the way Jiyeon used to be. As the same time, Jiyeon got bored of the way Hyomin treated her, she was growing up as a free soul with her own ways of seeing life, there were so many times she rebelled and went against Hyomin.

 

Jiyeon came back home after the party with her friends to find Hyomin was sleeping on sofa and it was obvious that Hyomin had been staying up and waiting for her. She sighed, as she thought they did agree on it already.

“Hyomin unnie” Jiyeon woke up

“Oh Jiyeon?” Hyomin rubbed her eyes

“Thought you understood it” Jiyeon said, a bit aggressive.

“How much did you drink?” Hyomin smelled the alcohol

“What did you expect from party?” Jiyeon answered, annoyed.

“Just don’t want you to go to college with your hangover” Hyomin sighed

“I know how to deal with it” Jiyeon wanted to show how responsible person she was.

“Alright then” Hyomin was walking away, tired of Jiyeon’s behavior

“You should have not stayed up and waited for me” Jiyeon followed Hyomin to their bedroom

“Is it wrong to be worried about my girlfriend?” Hyomin started to piss off.

“That makes me a very irresponsible person” Jiyeon came up with her reason

“Let’s me ask you Jiyeon, if I was gone all night, would you be worried then?” Hyomin was upset, Jiyeon didn’t answer.

“I should have known” Hyomin looked at Jiyeon with painful eyes.

“No drama please” Jiyeon shook her head.

“Alright, live the way you want, I will not care” Hyomin grabbed the pillow and walked out of the bedroom. She went back to sofa and laid down there.

 

4 Years ago

 

Jiyeon was waiting in front of the door way, not bothered by the mosquitos that kept biting her, she could not stay still and waited inside the house after getting the phone call from older woman, sad voice on the phone told her that Hyomin just stopped crying. Upon seeing the figure, Jiyeon quickly got up.

“Jiyeon ah, what are you doing here?” Hyomin greeted Jiyeon with her sad smile and her puffy eyes, Jiyeon didn’t answer but gave the older girl a big hug. Once Hyomin felt the warmth, the tear which she thought has dried, came back.

“Jiyeon, it hurts” Hyomin cried in Jiyeon’s arm.

“I know” Jiyeon said

“Why did he do this to me?” Hyomin asked without expecting the answer.

“Because he is a fool” Jiyeon answered anyway. As Hyomin thought Jiyeon was mad at her recent ex-boyfriend because he broke up with her, the next thing she heard just brought more tear to her eyes.

“He is a fool to let go of the most amazing person I’ve ever known, the most beautiful woman whose tears do not go well with her face, but smile. A wonderful loving lady who deserves someone that does love her and sees her value” Jiyeon finished her most heart-warming encouragement that touched Hyomin’s heart.

“Thank you Jiyeon” Hyomin smiled with her tearful eyes, she knew Jiyeon wanted to cheer her up but those words were so meaningful yet powerful to lift her up when she was down.

Jiyeon broke the hug and looked deeply into Hyomin’s eyes, at that moment, Hyomin saw something different in her stare, Jiyeon’s innocent brown orbs turned to something more stern yet sincere and real that invited Hyomin to find the meaning behind them.

“I’ll love you the way you deserve to be loved, let me the one to take care of you like no one can” Jiyeon bluntly confessed, she didn’t even fringe or shake when she was saying so as if it came from her nature self. Hyomin’s mind was all clouded that she was slow to react but one thing for sure her stomach was wiggled as if there were hundred of butterflies inside it, that was when she knew she was really in love.

 

Present

“Where are you Jiyeon, I missed you” Hyomin’s tear  won again

Jiyeon was standing there at the door way, hearing Hyomin’s sob, she knew she made Hyomin cry, she didn’t know how long she could go on like this. Held on or let go, she couldn’t tell which one was more painful.

 

++++++++++++++++

 

Jiyeon’s POV

I am walking aimlessly on the road, and I find myself stop in front of the bookshop that I run into a while back. I don’t know why but every time I have things in my mind, I will think of her , she seems to listen to me and makes me feel comfortable to talk to.

“Hi Jiyeon” Eunjung unnie greeted me, I smiled at her.

“How are you today?” She asked with her gentle voice that soothed me

“I’m good” I said

“If I’m a fortune teller, I would say you have something weighing on your heart” Eunjung unnie said knowingly

“Well, I guess you are then” I smiled, she smiled along.

“I have some new books to recommend, wanna come and see?” Eunjung unnie suggested, so I walked into her bookshop as invited.

I am going through some new books she wants to show me, and they seem like good books.

“You can take home and read if you want” Eunjung unnie passed me hot peach tea.

“Thank you” I took it the tea glass, “I’m good, I’ll just come by and read” I told her

“Good choice then you can come by more often” She held her laughter. I smiled hearing her laughter, it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter