— fin

you're so beautiful (so damn beautiful)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Bastard,” was the first word that came out of Hwanhee’s lips when Gyujin reached their usual meeting place; the bench conveniently situated outside the cafeteria, a few paces from the music building of their university, where Hwanhee came out from. The younger had his arms crossed, tapping his shoe impatiently on the ground, forehead creased in tight knots as he glared at the approaching older male, uncaring that Gyujin was sweating excessively, and panting heavily due to exhaustion for running all the way from the parking lot. Talk about being ungrateful. “I’ve been waiting for half an hour already. What took you so long?!” he snarled when the older male was in front of him.

“Sorry,” Gyujin apologized, body slightly bended down, hands on either of his knees as he tried to regain his composure, beads of sweat rolling down his forehead and dropped onto the yard he was standing on. “My car broke down and I had to call a tow company just to get it,” he explained between deep gasps, chest rising and falling as he struggled to catch his breath.

“Cause you ditched your driver again?” the younger concluded, expression impassive as he raised a questioning brow at the elder’s assertion. Hwanhee was aware of Gyujin’s lovely history of escaping his personal driver even though his father insisted he had one, so he wasn’t shocked at the least. “You never learn.”

“You know I hate being driven around,” Gyujin pouted, wiped the moisture off his temple with his sweater’s sleeves, and stood up properly, dusted his jeans, and soothed its crinkles. “I’m not a little kid anymore.”

“But you know you at driving, right?” Hwanhee pointed out.

“What? I love driving my car.”

“And it broke down on you, pity.”

“It was just out of gas,” he reasoned, which bordered close to a whine when it came out. “I forgot to fill up the tank before I left. Nothing serious.”

But Hwanhee was doubtful, threw the older a sceptical look. “And what did your dad say?”

He shrugged before he brought a hand to the back of his nape and rubbed it sheepishly. “I didn’t tell him.”

“Figured,” the younger snorted before he sat down back on the bench to collect his belongings. “He’d kill you.”

Gyujin felt shivers running down his spine at the thought of his dad ever finding out, he was scared. His dad would have murdered him in his sleep, ripped his throat out and fed it to their dogs if something happened to his car. Filthy rich or not, Gyujin has his limits and knew better that to test his father’s patience. His old man would have his head in a silver platter if he didn’t take care of the things given to him and treat them without importance. “The exact same reason why I didn’t tell him.”

Unlike those rich people seen in cringe-worthy afternoon or late night dramas, Gyujin’s upbringing was less spectacular, less extravagant. He didn’t have maids to clean up after his mess, he wasn’t treated differently in school just because his dad could buy half of Seoul, no, none of that. His father was a respectable, humble, and down to earth business man that knew how to value whatever he had been blessed with, without reservations. And he made sure his only son would grow up with such resolve intact.

“Well c’mon, Dongyeol is waiting for us and I’d kill you if he’d get mad that we’re late,” Hwanhee said as he fixed his things in a hurry, hid his notes inside his backpack and loosely slang it against his shoulder. He immediately shot to his feet, sounding rushed as he stalked past the older.

Gyujin rolled his eyes as he trailed behind the younger who bursted through the cafeteria doors. “Whipped.”

Hwanhee glared at the older when he turned to spare him a glance but made no comment and continued striding until they made their way into the vicinity. They’ve known each other since they were in diapers and were used to each other’s comebacks that they don’t mind the slightest insult being flung their way, unfazed as they continued on their own tasks. Perhaps that was the case. Gyujin might be older than Hwanhee and their personalities might have clashed a bunch of instances but the younger knew how to stand his ground on him and that’s what Gyujin likes the most about him.

The place was packed when they entered the area; students lining up in the food cue, the air was filled with laughter and nonsense chatter, and a dozen were scattered on the tables across the perimeter. It was break time so there were a ton of people.

They took several steps along the cafeteria, waved and smiled at familiar faces who greeted them as they made their way inside. After a few moments, both spotted a familiar figure across the room, sporting a black leather jacket, his back was turned to them as he had his head hang down, concentrating on the notebook he had in front of him. Hwanhee made a straight beeline for the boy with unruly brown hair when he caught his eyes, recognizing him instantly, while Gyujin followed closely after.

“Hey babe,” Hwanhee said softly as he patted the other by the shoulder, face breaking into a smile at the sight of the other when he regarded him.

“Hi,” Dongyeol greeted back as Hwanhee leaned down, gave him a small peck in the cheek before settling down to seat beside him, closed the notebook he had been revising on earlier, his notes long forgotten as his beloved boyfriend was within his grasps. Dongyeol was academic conscious but Hwanhee will always be his number one priority, the latter always comes first no matter what. “I already ordered food for us, by the way. For hyung, too.”

“Really? Thanks Yeol-ah, you’re a life saver!” Gyujin clapped his hands excitedly and beamed at the younger, very much pleased at the act. If he was being truthful, Gyujin approves of Dongyeol. He really liked Dongyeol for Hwanhee, and was the first one to give them his blessings when his best friend told him he was dating the other. The kid was too nice for his own good. What did Hwanhee do in his past life to deserve a ball of sunshine like Dongyeol, anyway?

Dongyeol was younger than both Hwanhee and Gyujin, from a different major and had met Hwanhee when they were in a minor class together. They clicked and of course, everyone loves Hwanhee, so the younger fell for his charms straightaway. Hwanhee liked Dongyeol in earnest, too. In some odd way, they were perfect for each other; Dongyeol patched up the other’s rough edges and Hwanhee broke pass the younger’s defences. What a cliché love story, Gyujin thought. But it’s sweet nonetheless, and the two are just as gross when together.

“Don’t mention it,” Dongyeol gave the older a small smile and he nodded his head. “What took you guys so long, anyway?”

“Ask Gyujin,” Hwanhee snickered, jerking his head towards the older before scooting closer to his lover, shoulders brushing at the proximity before he clinged onto the younger’ arm. It was subtle, but Gyujin knew it was an act of possessiveness. “He had a dilemma.”

“I did not,” Gyujin snarled defensively as he sat down in front of the two, plunged his bag onto the floor, close to his feet. “ you.”

“I think I got that covered.” Dongyeol smirked mischievously that made Gyujin cringe. Hwanhee flushed at the underlying meaning of the statement, nudged his boyfriend on the side, embarrassed, the shade of crimson red ghosting his cheeks till it reached the tip of his ears which made the younger chuckle lowly.

Gyujin whimpered in annoyance. And here goes the couple again. He grimaced at the young lovers before he reached out for one of the plate of food Dongyeol had ordered for them, and tried to block out what the younger had previously said before he vomited at the imagery of his best friend doing the nasty with his boyfriend.

The two suddenly engaged in a hushed conversation, talking about something only they know of, and Gyujin wasn’t offended at the least even though he was left out and was completely overlooked; he was pretty used to it. But when he caught glance of Hwanhee beaming fondly as the younger his hair in affection, before the said hand went down to his cheek and caressed it gently, resonated on each other’s presence, something stirred inside Gyujin that he had been denying long ago. He felt bitter looking at the two, how their eyes would be luminous of warmth and adoration when they stare at each other— being so in love— while here he was, single and alone. It was sickening at some point, how many times he wanted to puke rainbows and unicorns while watching the two, but somehow, he couldn’t help but feel lonely at the thought he had no one unlike his friends. It was sad and Gyujin hated that feeling the most.

Gyujin coughed a few times which caught their attention. “Can you two be lovey-dovey somewhere else? Be more considerate.”

“You’re just sour ‘cause you have no one,” Hwanhee countered, his tone was mocking as he smirked at the older jokingly (he knew better), Gyujin rolled his eyes in return.

“I thought you were dating that senior, Sungjun-hyung?” Dongyeol questioned, directed for the older male which he quickly denied, scooping a spoonful of vegetable salad from his plate and chewed on it happily.

“He wasn’t really Gyujin’s type,” Hwanhee answered in his stead.

Dongyeol hummed thoughtfully, placed his hand under his chin, watching him attentively, as if he was observing him. “That’s a pity. He’s sort of famous though.”

“And I bet he’s awesome in bed too,” Hwanhee added, no hint of remorse when he said it. Gyujin barely resisted the urge to face palm and smack the younger. This is one of the many wonders that is Lee Hwanhee, he’d be a blushing in one second, and he a total expert the next. What is it with him and why did everything have to be ual? “Don’t you get hard just by looking at him?”

“I don’t care, I never really liked him that much,” he answered with a shrug, brushing aside his best friend’s previous query which made the younger pout. “He’s hot, I’ll give him that. But I don’t really see myself with him, long term.”

Lee Sungjun was a famous basketball player for their university, an engineering student, and had been pining on Gyujin for a while now. The latter appreciates the attention but Sungjun just wasn’t the type of guy he liked. Despite his looks and astonishing grades, the senior lacked appreciation for the arts like Gyujin does, deeming everything outside the field of Math and Science as a waste of time and effort. And when your life revolved around music and art like Gyujin, you wouldn’t enjoy the company of someone who outright questions your decision to take up music as a major, forget the undeniable fact that he was a hunk. Quite a turn off to be honest.

“Then what do you like?” Dongyeol pried, tone more serious this time. Gyujin actually gave it a thought. He never really had any specific preferences after all.

“Boring, plain and everything that Gyujin is,” Hwanhee enumerated, dodging the spoon the older had thrown his way just in time before it collided with his face, letting go of his hold on Dongyeol and stuck his pink tongue out when saw the older fuming. “Ha! Missed.”

“Don’t you have anything better to do?” Gyujin hissed.

“Now that you mention it,” the younger starts innocently, “I do have auditions later.”

“For real? So you’re really serious about joining the school’s dance crew?”

“What? They’re awesome!” the younger exclaimed, arms in the air, he sounded excited, eyes gleaming and it made his boyfriend chortle quietly at how adorable the former was. “And it would be fun!”

Hwanhee had always been passionate about dancing, Gyujin sometimes question why the latter chose to take up music as his major when he would fit in with dance so perfectly— not that he’s complaining, though. They grew up together and music had been their common interest. Hwanhee was a talented singer, Gyujin was a talented composer— music was everything for them.

“You’ll come watch, right?” his best friend prompted, he was hopeful and Gyujin secretly smiled. No matter how much the other had changed in the years, he was still the Hwanhee he knew; the brat that wants Gyujin to witness every endeavour he partakes in. “Watch me dance.”

“Don’t make out in front of me while I’m there then I’ll reconsider,”Gyujin proposed as he pointed a finger at the two which made Dongyeol laugh and Hwanhee giggle. “And I mean it.”

“Deal.”

 

 

Gyujin went to the gym to watch his best friend’s audition just like he promised, later on the day, after their class was done. Hwanhee practically dragged him though so that he won’t run away. He and Dongyeol— being the supportive boyfriend that he was— were situated by the bleachers, were spectators, while the audition-nees were at the side of the gym, warming up; some even have earphones stuffed in their ears, probably listening to music to calm their restless nerves, waiting for their name to be called in both anticipation and worry. The number of people who turned up to try out was quite impressive; Gyujin bet there were around seventy of them that were dispersed on the closed space. Well, their dance crew was quite famous for having bagged a couple of recognitions from various competitions and were no push over, respected highly by many— no wonder Hwanhee wanted to join them so badly.

Gyujin was never a big fan of dancing. It was strenuous and he gets easily tired, was physically weak—unlike his hyperactive best friend— so he never really tried it before cause the idea of sweating disproportionately in front of a ton of people was off putting. Hwanhee’s name was called all of a sudden, cutting Gyujin’s train of thought. The younger came up and stood at the center of the gym, introduced himself when he was asked, flashed his infamous grin and performed the dance routine he had been working on for a while. They allowed any type of genre as an audition piece so Hwanhee proceeded. The audition went by like a breeze; it wasn’t exciting in any way for Gyujin. Of course his best friend did great, Hwanhee was great at everything, the older was confident he would be given a spot— and he wasn’t being biased. Despite the lack of knowledge about the basics of dance, he had a keen eye for what was deemed an amazing performance, average and simply disappointing. And Hwanhee was definitely not the latter.

After bowing when he was done, Hwanhee headed to where they were. Dongyeol enveloped the other in a tight hug when he came crashing on him, whispered soft praises against his ear while Gyujin gave the younger a small smile and a thumbs-up when their eyes met.

They watched the others perform after they settled down, and Gyujin was starting to get bored. But not until someone caught his attention. It was almost coincidental, his eyes probably playing tricks on him of some sort. He turned his head to scan the room and he found his gaze fixed to the guy sitting on the judges table, lean body wrapped around a thick jacket, hands busy scribbling something on a notebook while his eyes were focused on the ones performing in front of him. He looked familiar, Gyujin thought with a frown as he observed the other.

Where have I seen him before?

Oh, that’s right! He was in Gyujin’s Calculus class. No wonder he looks like I’ve seen him almost all the time. He was the one sitting in front of him. How come he wasn’t noticed him sooner when he came in earlier?

That’s funny, what was he doing here?

He was a dancer? Gyujin never knew. They’ve been classmates for months but he didn’t peg him as the type to be into this stuff. Heck, he didn’t even know his name!

When everyone was finished, the upperclassmen of the dance crew stood in front of the crowd gathered— there were 10 of them— including the familiar guy with silky black hair. His back was straight as he stood, hands clashed tightly together, eyes wondering around the area but he was still clearly avoiding direct contact, he appeared nervous and awkward as he bit his lower lip. Cute, Gyujin thought. A tall blonde girl beside him took a step forward and began talking in a loud voice; thanking everyone who auditioned, announced that the results will be posted the following day since the other members had to talk it through on who to choose. To everyone’s amusement, each of the current active members of the club will execute a solo performance to let the new recruits know what sort of shoes they’ll be filling in once

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter