Between Me & A 11 Year Old

1 + 1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Eun Jung POV. 

Ji Won didn't look pleased right now. I'm not sure how I could tell.

For one, her eyebrows were knitted together in some weird form of a failed attempt at a frown. She was making that weird puppy mouth she always did when she was angry about something. Or maybe it was the fact that the customs line here was huge, and she had to go to the bathroom.

So I asked her.

"Are you mad? Is something wrong?"

Dumb question.

She turned her head slowly. Though she was around a foot shorter than me,  she was scaring me with those -dagger-shooting-demon eyes. The normal brown color of them had replaced with something that looked like a monster's glare. 

"What do you think?"

"....I don't know?"

A couple of the families behind the line eyed Ji Won and I. Normal families, that is, which Ji Won and I were not. I had come to accept that fact a long time ago.

"Are you kidding me!" She screeched, and threw a fit. A couple glares came from the family in the line opposite us, and they stared at me condesendingly -- that too, when on the flight here, their baby had been the one causing a ruckus in the cabin. Heck, I didn't glare at them or anything. What creeps.

"You just.." Ji Won paused in the middle of her screeching, as the security guard stared at us blankly. The two of us plastered fake smiles on our faces, and tilted our heads to the side, in an attempt to look cute. The security guard stamped our passports quickly and ushered us on. The sun was just barely rising, in Incheon. South Korea. 

Where technically, I was from. Ji Won, too. 

She was too busy being mad to acknowlege that she was technically home, though.

"You like, suddenly decide to move to Korea one day, and tell me on the day before we leave? What the heck, mom, I don't even know why - wait, is it because of the whole Jin-Young oppa breaking up with you or something? Hah, are you one of those sob story charecters who moves to another country to fix their already screwed life?" Ji Won shot at me.

I'm not sure where she learned the words 'screwed' or 'heck', but as of now I wasn't exactly interested in scolding her. She, for one, was mad enough, and two, we were almost out of the airport. The air was suffocating me. For an eleven year old, the girl was harsh.

But judging by her history, I couldn't exactly blame her. 

"What now, you're going to make me study in a school where they speak Korean? Heck, my Korean is only bits and pieces!"

I continued listening to her ranting, as we boarded the subway. Considering that they paid residents around $40,000 a year, as of now, we were too poor to afford anything else. Since I was a single mom -- don't even ask about that one, it's a complicated past -- normally, the senior residents let me down with the easy work. For the most part, I was always like a tightroper jugging everything as they walked across two high points. Being a doctor was my life, and considering that Ji Won was there, she was too. 

Last week had not been a good week. I had been dumped by Jin-Young, who said both work and a girlfriend were too much to handle, and then my favorite patient, Mrs. Margot, a sixty year old who had recently had what seemed to be a sucessful surgery for a simple, benign cardiac tumor, had died later that day of a heart attack.  And she seemed perfectly healthy. She had been a sweet old lady who had always given me cookies for Ji Won. She never took pity on me for being a single mom, rather encouraging to make Ji Won grow up well. It was a shame she had to die young -- well, somewhat young. What are the odds of all that bad luck -- and more -- happeneing in one week? Nearly one in a million.

Outside in Incheon, it was for once, sunny. The last times I had visited, it had seemed to be a dreary place. Ji Won and I were staying in Seoul anyway, but the weather there was hopefully not the same.

After around two hours of Ji Won complaining about how ish life was, and how much she wanted to go back to Maryland -- which we would, in a year -- to the Johns Hopkins campus that we had stayed on, we reached Seoul Metro Station. Ji Won had quited down, and I ruffled her silky hair. I had made her comb it while we were in the train. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter