Final

Birthday Boys

 



6055218_orig.gif

 

 

There was nothing more comforting to Soo than going to Moonlights' Call. The place was perfect. The darkly lit rooms, the exotic drinks, and the lingering smell of strong cigars and women's perfume. Yes, Soo couldn't imagine a better place.

This small bar was exclusive, to the people of high class, privileged and chosen wisely. This place didn't look for trouble. No. This was a place where business men and ladies were given the time to breathe. And Soo wanted nothing more than that.

As he walked throughout the small tunnel, lit up with a deep blue and pictures of the world's famous painting clinging to the walls, Soo found himself smiling. He never went here to find someone. More like someone was always there to find him. Going here wasn't anything special. And being an accountant of the city's most popular bank gave you an easy penny or two to spend. So instead of spending his lonesome Fridays at home, he had ventured out into the city's street lights. And Moonlight's Call had fit the bill.

Soo strolls in, scanning the whole room. A wide space filled with lovers, friends, colleagues all scattered around the place, veil-like curtains falling from the ceiling and dividing the small gathering in sections. The manager must've had a thing for exotic plants, as orchids were never failed to be seen, their proud heads blooming and open, and Soo held himself back from taking a whiff of their fragrance. Fixing his sleeves, straightening the suit he wore and taking off the hat that sat on his head, Soo walks to the bar, keeping his large eyes on the empty floor. The only thing occupying it was a young man playing on a grand piano on stage. The soft chords and melodies of a jazzy yet controlled song filled the air.

Soo leans over the counter, looking at the familiar face of the bartender. Soo's smile widens that bit more.

"Yixing," he says happily.

The young worker turns around from the till, the dimple already forming on his cheek. His favourite customer has arrived.

"Ah, Soo, welcome."

Soo is always happy to see the foreigner working here. Since day one, Yixing had been a source of comfort when he first came here, and as his confidence in visiting grew, his relationship with Yixing grew too. He had never left the bartenders desk alone, even when the man's was on his feet and rushing about.

"What will it be tonight, Soo? From the look on your face, and the slight bags under your eyes, you want something with a bit of a boost. Am I correct?"

Soo is always left baffled by Yixing's accuracy. He was very in tune with people's expressions, even if his Korean wasn't. His cheerful smile and strong Chinese accent all but made him more charming.

"Yes," Soo replied. "Right as always."

Yixing gave him a small wink, "I know I am. I've been at this too long to not be good."

Soo gives a few seconds thought before deciding on a drink. "Well, here's a challenge. Surprise me."

The young bartender all but raised an eyebrow. "You sure you want that, Sir?"

Soo then winked back, "Power's in your hands, Sir."

"I won't let you down." Yixing then his lips and turned away, reaching down to take bottles and a glass to create the perfect concoction for the man.

Soo let his gaze wander around the room, his eyes trailing through the small crowd that had appeared tonight. He had usually come here alone, and was perfectly fine with that. Soo was a man of solitude. And no being was going to change that.

"Happy Belated Birthday, Hyung."

Except for tonight.

Soo refused to turn around but he let the smirk slip on his lips. "And Happy Early Birthday to you, Ninnie."

He heard a deep chuckle and felt the being lean against the bar. Soo's profile was the only thing visible to the man.

"Are we making this a thing now?"

Soo kept his look on the stage, the young piano man now talking to a young girl. She must've been performing next.

"I guess we are. But I thought that was obvious since we've been doing it for the past four years."

The young man next to him gave Soo a slight squeeze on the shoulder, tilting his head to get a better view of him.

"I know. Just wanted to confirm it."

Soo finally turned to see the boy next to him. He was much taller than him, now leaner, and his face was something angels could've possibly made. The man was a blessed being, especially in  suit and tie. And yet, Soo found it very hard to ever be jealous. Even his silver hair that had caused his tanned skin to shine was something he couldn't help but admire.

Jongin just had that effect on him.

"How have things been?"

"Never better." Jongin said, smiling at the stage and taking off his hat. "Life's been harsh, busy. But when you have the right people by your side, it's worth it."

Soo was proud to say the young man he had seen grow was maturing so well. Yes, he had his moments, tantrums, stress, hardships, but doesn't everybody? Jongin had proved himself to be very reliable, and his ambition landed him as one of the city's most wanted dancer. Hence his ticket to the club of Moonlights Call.

"One drink for you, Sir."

Soo's thought were interrupted by the sound of Yixing's slight voice. He eyed the small blue drink that looked up at him, a small olive sleeping at the bottom of his glass.

"Thanks, Yixing," Soo said, giving him a smile.

"And you, sir?" Yixing asked Jongin.

"The same as him, if that is at all possible."

Yixing nodded, turning away to reinvent his drink.

Soo and Jongin kept their interest on the young girl now on stage. She sang along with the piano, the musician swaying with the female's voice, a slow and jazzy lullaby. Soo and Jongin weren't the only ones mesmerised as the rest of the bar stopped to watch the young beauty perform.

"She's good," Soo said, lifting his drink to his lips.

"She is," Jongin said, his eyes lingering on her, as if memorising every detail of her.

"You gonna talk to her?" Soo inquired, already seeing the hungry gaze he had seen once or twice.

"What makes you think I haven’t already?" Jongin was confident, the crooked smile taking place and showing he was more than ready for a challenge.

"And your drink too, Sir."

Jongin faced the bartender and bowed his head. "Thank you. And how much?"

Yixing shook his head and grinned. "On the house. For both of you."

Soo looked at him surprise.

"Something small for the birthday boys," he laughed, walking away before any man could protest.

Jongin took his drink in his grasp and looked at Soo. "I like him."

"Hah, I guess I do too."

"Date him?"

"Possibly."

"He's a handsome guy."

"Not my type."

Jongin scoffed. "No one's your type."

"And that's the way it will be."

Jongin looked at him incredulous but smiled all the same. "You'll find someone someday Soo. Even though you say not now, you will. And it'll be a wonderful day."

Soo mirrored the smile back. "And it'll be another day to celebrate."

Both men raised their small glasses.

"To us." Jongin said.

"To health."

"To every other year ahead where we meet again."

"And to our poor lovers that'll have to put up with it."

Jongin laughed, his eyes squinting in such a way it made his face light up. And Soo could do nothing but stare. Some people were just blessed that way.

The men then clinked their glasses.

"Happy Birthday to us."

Jongin took a quick sip, only to grimaced at the taste.

"God, this is vulgar."

"What do you mean?"

"It's disgusting."

Soo then took an experimental taste, having the same reaction, the bitter and sour liquor killing the back of his throat.

"What the hell is this?" He asked himself.

Soo then got his answer, noticing a young bartender laughing away to himself.






Both Jongin and Soo were at the front of the bar, a small group of men smoking occupying the area and keeping the door safe from wandering people. It was another night of laughter, memories and talk, the kind of night Soo always enjoyed and never forgot.

"I wish we did this more often, Hyung," Jongin admitted.

"The feeling is mutual, Ninnie," Soo reassured, noticing the small frown in the young man's face. "Maybe we should make it a regular thing."

Jongin's face lit up. "You mean it?"

"Of course I do," Soo said endearingly.

Jongin then walked up and gave the small man a hug. He was always an affectionate person, but this time, he meant the embrace he was giving, and was thrilled to feel the man return the favour just as strong.

"You grew up too fast," Soo whispered.

"And you never changed, not one bit Hyung."

"Is that a good thing?"

Jongin detached himself from Soo, resting his large hands on each of his shoulders. "It's a great thing."

A small but comfortable silence fell between them and Soo could feel nothing but pride for the man that stood before him. He had certainly grown. But for the better.

"Jongin-ah!" A call from the club's entrance made both men turn. The young singer from the club walked out, a coat covering her from the cold and a bright smile on her face. She made her way to a cab that was now open, waiting for passengers to fill it. "Jongin! C'mon!"

Jongin looked at Soo one last time and shrugged his shoulders. "Gotta go, I promise you will  meet her in person soon."

Soo shook his head and pushed him away. "Arraseo, Jongin. Now go before she starts getting any ideas."

Jongin gave Soo one final wink before heading for the taxi.

"Soojung!" He called, grabbing her hand and placing a small kiss on it. The girl immediately blushed and pulled the boy into the car. Soo caught the devilish smirk Jongin had before being dragged off and driven away into the night.

Soo then smiled. He turned away from Moonlight's Call and for once, and felt that maybe he will spend the rest of his Friday night at home tonight.

And nothing sounded better than that.












Happy Birthday Kai and Soo 

 

Hope 2017 brings joy and goodness to your lives <3