Don't forget that you are mine

The Finale with No Goodbye

“Zen, we need to talk.”
MC shook her head at Zen who was trying to run. Her grip on his arm grew stronger and her eyes were yelling at him to stop. If he went after Areum any further, she wouldn’t be able to contain herself.
“Honey, just wait a little bit. Let me just make sure Jumin isn’t harming her. I’ll—“
SMACK
Everyone in the area turned to stare at where the noise came from. MC hung her head low towards the ground, embarrassed to have caused such a scene. Luckily, her hair was long enough to drape over her cowering face. Still, she was sure everyone knew of her tears. She was sure that they could see how they boiled with anger and sorrow. She could feel it on her— their stares.
“Babe, I’ll take you back to the dressing room.” Zen held an arm around MC’s shoulder and an arm above her head, covering her from the overlooking eyes of the staff members who passed. He knew he was the bad guy. How could he let it get to the point of letting his lover cry. He had promised to tell her everything so she wouldn’t worry. He had promised to take care of her. He was frustrated at himself for being such an . He deserved every bit of that slap. The slap that now sat on his face stung not of pain; it burned of the guilt that resided in him. He felt every bit of remorse as he felt her body shaking underneath his palms. His heart hurt every time he heard whimpers slip from her lips. He knew she was fighting back her cries. Although moments have passed, he could still feel her cold fingers lingering on his skin. It was the first time he felt MC hands in such a harsh way. Zen ingrained the moment in his mind. That way, there won’t be a next time. He never wanted MC to feel this way again. He never wanted to be her cause of pain.
“How could you spend a night a woman’s house and not even explain yourself? Do you know how worried I was? Do you even understand my feelings for you, Zen? Or has your mind already been clouded over with images of Areum? When Echo girl went over to your apartment, you let me know right away, but you spent the night at Areum’s house… you’ve been acting strange around her since the beginning, any yet… you’ve said nothing. You haven’t even said a word about thi—“
Zen stopped MC with a kiss, hoping that all his feelings would be conveyed through this. He didn’t know how to make it up to her. He wished for her to understand. He knew he couldn’t put off explaining any longer. He couldn’t bear to see MC hurt. He’s already made her cry once, there should be no next time. He thought about how much she must have held back all this time while quietly waiting for him. She stuck by his side even when he was staying silent. He had to make it up to her. Seeing how hurt MC was in front of him finally snapped him back to reality. He couldn’t understand why he had waited so long to tell her. He knew she accepted him for who he was, so why? Did he doubt her? No, he was afraid of himself. He was afraid that he’d hurt MC by telling her of his past. After all, Areum is a person of his past so he shouldn’t have let it bother him as much as it did. Looking at the woman in front of him now, he knows that it stupid of him to stay silent. He had hurt her more by keeping it to himself and pushing her away. To his surprise, with MC by his side, he always found himself continuing to grow as a person. He was thankful to have her by his side.
“I’m sorry, MC. I know I said I would tell you since the first day, but I just didn’t know how to begin.. but seeing you cry today, I can’t bear to watch you being hurt because of a jerk like me… I’m sorry. I know I’ve been the biggest douche ever these past couple weeks. I know. There is nothing going on between me and Areum, I swear. It’s just that I swore I would protect her after what she’s done for me and I don’t know how to move on from that…” Zen began. He went on to tell MC about his past with Areum, how he picked on a gangster’s kid, how Areum stupidly tried to protect him, and how she moved him away at the last moment and took a bullet for him. What he felt with Areum was guilt. She saved his life and he had done nothing for her in return. He told MC of how Areum had left one day and left no trace of herself. For years she had been missing. She had only told him she was leaving for America. Whether she had actually left or not, he never knew. The day after she left, she had cut off all connections and he had never heard from her since. So when he saw her at the script reading, that was the first time she had finally appeared in front of his eyes again. He didn’t know how to react. He didn’t know how to make it up to her. He didn’t know if he still had to make it up to her. He didn’t know where their relationship stood. His heart aches whenever he sees of her. However, he knows that Areum is a person of his past. He made sure that MC understood that he loved her dearly. He would never want to hurt her. He never meant to. MC has supported him so much when no one did, he couldn’t think of anyone else he’d rather be with.
I can get through everything with you by my side. I believe that. Without you, there would be no me. Please believe me, MC. 

 

“J-Jumin, what are you saying?”
How could he just ask her to marry him all of the sudden? No one in their right minds would do something like this. Well, since it was Han Jumin asking, anything was possible. Maybe he has finally lost it. That must have been it. Areum was stuck between feeling flustered and being at a disbelief. There was no way he would ask her for marriage. He always found women repulsive, so why?
“Oh, allow me to rephrase that. Will you give me your hand in marriage, Areum?” Jumin held his hand out awaiting Areum’s reply. Even when he asked a second time, she couldn’t comprehend his question. Was he really asking her to marry him? He couldn’t possibly be expecting her to say yes and just fly into his arms…. or could he? She quizzically stared at the man standing so proudly before her. She was concerned with his state of mentality.
“Jumin, are you feeling okay? Are you sick? I- I can—“ She was interrupted when he turned to his side and let out a laugh. It was the first time she’s seen him smile since they've met again. He was always uptight and cold, even when young. Seeing him smile had always been a rare occasion.
“Are you messing with me right now?!” Areum yelled at Jumin. She held an angry face towards him, but in reality, she felt a sense of relief when she saw him laugh. A sense of satisfaction spread across his face, he was pleased with her reaction. As she thought, there was no way Jumin would ask her seriously. He never even liked her to begin with. How could he? She has only followed him as a younger sibling he never wanted and he treated her as a pet at best. 

“Jihyun! Jumin!” Young Areum yelled out to the two older boys in joy. She was ecstatic to see the both of them attending church today. She quickly ran over to the two and handed V a bouquet made from the flowers she picked on her way there. Surprised, V smiled at the girl before him and patted her head.
“Thank you, Areum. This is beautiful!” Areum blushed at his words. He was the only who complimented her when the world saw her as a burden. She had always wondered if he was an angel sent from heaven. How could there be a man so perfect? Areum’s eyes always sparkled when she spoke with V. He was someone who had the hugest impact in her life. He smiled at her with such a sincere smile when even her own family wouldn’t. He would always help her with even the smallest of requests. He gave her a hand to hold. He gave her the love she needed. He was the savior who defended her from all the monsters in the world went against her. He was the one who showed her the true meaning of a family.
“Where’s mine?” Jumin curtly asked with a hand held out in front of Areum’s face. She hesitated to answer. She knew he’d be angry no matter what her answer was. He had always spoke coldly towards her.
“I didn’t think you’d show up today… I’ll make one for you next time!” Areum could hear Jumin grumble under his breath.
“I don’t need something so petty from someone like you. I could buy something of much better quality and at a much greater quantity.” Jumin turned around and began walking away.
“Jumin, can’t you try to be a little nicer? Areum said she’ll make you one next time, so make sure you come!” V yelled at him and began following behind. “Don’t mind him, Areum. You already know how he is. This bouquet is special because you made it with your own efforts. He can’t buy something so sincere even if he tried. He’s secretly jealous, but shh! Don’t tell him I told you! Come on, let’s go in now!” V held out his arm for Areum. Like a child clinging tightly onto her parent, she held onto V’s arm never wanting to let it go. Jumin always put up a cold front, but his actions always differed from his words. He awaited for the two at the church’s front door, and held it open for them. After walking in, Areum grabbed ahold of Jumin’s arm. Despite his efforts to shake her off, she held on so tightly he felt as if he was chained and locked in place next to her. No one dared to go against his wishes when he refused, but here she was aggravating him to no ends. He was perplexed by her existence. She was different. 

You certainly won’t be my first choice but, if it comes down to it, I will marry you Han Areum. 

“I am certainly not asking you for a marriage that will last forever, however, I need you to be my fiancé for the time being. My father has been concerned about my marriage and the family inheritance for a while now, so he’s been setting me up with all these women whom I have no concern for. Of course there are better ways to deal with this, but it has been quite frustrating having to put up with this ordeal for so long. Perhaps I should just ask him to send me a list of profiles to look over instead. Having to meet so many women for lunch or dinner is a waste of my time and efforts. Oh, this must be boring to listen to, I’ll briefly explain your role an--“ 

“Let’s get married, Jumin.”

Jumin choked on a breath of his own air. This woman was always pulling the unexpected. He hadn’t even finished explaining himself and yet, with sternness on her face and in her voice, she agreed to his proposal. Of course, this was a fake proposal, however, Jumin still found it difficult to calm himself in front of this woman. He could feel as her hands tugged on a dangling string inside of him. One string was pulled and another one was being entangled. She always confused him to no end, but he always found himself infatuated with her; her thoughts were almost alien to him and he was always starving to learn more. 

“Han Areum, you are an entertaining person.” Jumin let out a small chuckle, unsure of how to reply. His mind was a tangled mess. He had asked her half-jokingly, expecting her to decline. To his amusement, she had accepted his offer, and he found it impossible to turn back on his word now. Once he decided on something he had to see it through until the end. He brought his hand to meet hers, shaking it firmly in confirmation of their deal. 

“There was a reason I chose the field I’m in now.” A smug look crossed her face. Areum was proud of her profession, there was no doubt about it. Even if she’d have to go through all the torture of training again, she’d do it. It was an escape from her past life. It was her way of helping others. She never wanted others to suffer as she had. She wanted to help others through her way of storytelling, her music. If people could find a friend in her songs, then her goal would be accomplished. She sang not only for herself, but in hopes of others. She hoped that any project she took on would inspire others to be strong despite their difficulties, to be kind no matter how cruel their world was, to always be satisfied with being themselves and disregard the harmful words people would speak. She wanted to give those who were watching her projects to feel as if they had a friend who was always besides them. If they were lonely, they could turn to her songs for support. She wanted to become emotional support for her fans. 

“Oh, but if we’re getting married, you have to keep the reporters away. If any reports go out about us, my career is over, you understand that, right? Also, it would probably be best to discuss this matter with my manager and company before any information is somehow leaked to the public. One last thing, there will be no need for a contract. Real relationships have no binding contract, Jumin. I’ll do this favor for you as an old friend. Besides, you’ve supported me all this time, how could I let that go by unpaid? I’m someone who always pays back her debts.” 

She smiled at him with the same innocent smile she had when they were young. She knew he probably hadn’t ever considered her his friend, but she had already attached herself to him since they were young. What Jumin probably never knew was that he's someone who was on the same level as V in her heart. Although Jumin opposed to her joining the entertainment world in the beginning, he was the one who supported her all this time. He sent her off to America when she asked. He was the biggest reason she was able to make it where she is now. She knew that he was the one who influenced the casting of this drama. What she couldn’t understand was what he was aiming to achieve through this. She was eternally grateful towards him for being her support, but sometimes, she couldn’t understand whether he was being sympathetic towards her situation or acting like a calculative director, and this frightened her. Things always seemed to just fall into the palms of his hands. 

“I do not need your money. I invested in you because I wanted to. There is no need for you to repay me for such things. You’ve already done so when you had made your debut. If you had quit half way, I would have been appalled at your decision. Of course, if you were to have quit, it would have be your choice in the end, and I wouldn’t have been able to stop you anyway. However, seeing that you’re group is even being broadcasted on the news stations I watch, I’m satisfied. It may be none of my business, but if you are happy with your position now, then I see no problem with my investment, as it is also profitable for my company. Now, enough talking. Come here. I have a present for you.” Jumin reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box.
“A proposal is not complete without a ring. Give me your hand, Areum.” He pulled the ring dripping in diamonds out from the box and gently placed it snuggly around her ring finger. It was almost as if he had it made for her.
“There may be no paper contract that binds us, but this ring symbolizes our relationship from here on forth. Don’t forget that you are mine, Han Areum.” Jumin placed a kiss on top of the ring that now perfectly sat on Areum’s finger. 

This marriage may be fake, but how can he be so perfect even at things like this? Who trained this man to excel in every aspect of life? It's unfair. 

Areum found it hard to keep her composure as gentle actions continued to pour out of him. It was strange to see Jumin acting so nice. It was strange, but it wasn’t a bad change. Maybe if he would look this way all the time, people would find it easier to approach him. He wouldn’t be so alone, he’d have people he could connect with. Still holding onto Areum's hand, Jumin looked up at her with those grey eyes of his and she felt her heart skip a beat. It took her mind a while to register what had just happened, but once it did, it hit hard. The warmth crept up to her face and it became unbearable to stare this man in the face any longer. Even if it everything was fake, she was embarrassed. Her burning face indicated just that. 

“How was that? Did I make your heart beat faster than Zen?” 

 

“Zen, why are you standing out here?” Shocked, Zen jumped from his position and when he turned around, Jaehee was standing there with a woman he hadn’t seen before.
“Jaehee, what are you doing here? Who’s she? Is she my fan? Hello, it’s nice to meet you. I know, I must be more beautiful in person.” He gave the woman a wink and shined his dazzling smile that would make any woman weak.
“She’s Ms. Lee, Mr. Han’s potential fiancé. I’m looking for Mr. Han right now, do you happen to know where he is?”
“I— uhh..”
Before Zen was done making an excuse to leave, the door besides them opened.
“Assistant Kang, and I should assume this is Ms. Lee, perfect timing. Let me introduce you to my fiancé, Areum Han.”
Jumin pulled Areum over and immediately held her hand up for everyone to see. The ring on her finger shone with a message that paralyzed Zen and the rest of their audience. He had only overheard that last part of their conversation before Jaehee arrived. 

Jumin’s words now echoed in Zen’s mind. 

Did I make your heart beat faster than Zen?
Let me introduce you to my fiancé, Areum Han.

“Congrats, Areum. Jumin will be sure to protect you, unlike me.” Zen couldn’t even muster up a fake smile to congratulate the new couple. He turned away, face twitching with distraught and helplessness, and walked away. He was furious that Jumin would make a move on her. He was infuriated that she accepted. He knew he had to turn his back on this before his body could move before he thought about it. He swore he would have punched Jumin if he had to face the man any longer. Areum could see that Zen's fists were balled up at his sides. She felt an urge to go after him, but Jumin held her back. Gripping strongly onto Areum, Jumin had held her hand up with the ring perfectly in view. He laced his fingers between hers and brought her hand up to his lips once again. He closed his eyes as he laid another kiss atop her hand. 
When his eyes opened again, he stared at me with a gaze so intense I found myself quivering in fear. The grey eyes that stared at me now were so overbearing, they seemed to yell: 

“Don’t forget that you are mine, Han Areum.”