One

Falling

The first time Jessica met Taeyeon, the girl was falling. The problem was it wasn't for her but rather on her. It wasn't a pretty sight.

 

The day had started normally. It was a beautifully sunny summer morning, perfect weather for curling up with a book with the AC blasted on high. Young eight-year old Jessica wanted to do just that. Unfortunately for her, her cousin Nicole and best friend Taecyeon were strong enough to drag her out to the park. Physically.

Being the sensible person that she is, Jessica had managed to bring with her a book to pass the time. It was a compromise. Taecyeon and Nicole can go running around with a soccer ball while Jessica can go... be Jessica.

Parking herself on a bench, she starts reading her book. But the goofs, AKA Nicole and Taecyeon, had started kicking the soccer ball her way in a less than subtle attempt to get her to play, claiming it was an accident. Closing her book with a huff (after marking it, of course), Jessica kicks the ball hard enough for the troublesome duo to go chasing for it. She walks away the very moment they turn their backs and look for a shade far from the field.

It didn't take long for her to find one in the shape of a tree from a distance. She takes out her headphones and put them on, determined not to get interrupted this time, before walking towards the tree. Finally feeling peaceful, Jessica releases a relieved sigh as she leans on the trunk and opens her book from where she last stopped.

Three pages in and she thinks she hears someone yelling. But since she is still at the park, she chooses to brush it off as some kids just playing around. However, she hears it again and this time, it's a bit louder. She takes one side of her headphones off to hear better.

"I'M GONNA DIE!!!" came a screech.

Looking up she sees a kid, ungloriously screaming her lungs out as she falls from one of the tree branches. That was the last thing Jessica sees as she faints upon impact, the girl landing squarely on top of her.

 

Jessica wakes up to a white ceiling, the smell of disinfectant permeating her senses. It doesn't take a genius to know that she's in the hospital. She blinks a few times, noting the pain on her head and trying to remember how she ended up there.

"I'm sorry."

The unexpected voice startles Jessica that she turns her head at her unexpected companion, forgetting for a bit so that her hurting head starts to spin. Her hands immediately reaches up to clutch her head in her hands. She suddenly feels nauseated.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?" comes the voice gain, this time laced with worry.

"H-hurts," grunts Jessica.

"H-hold on! Wait here. I'll call the nurse!"

Jessica could only guess the kid was running as the loud voice screaming nuuuuuuuuurse!!! starts to fade. Trying to get her bearings, Jessica starts to breathe rhythmically. She's read somewhere that it's helpful to keep calm in these types of situations.

The kid returns with a nurse pulling at her ear. Jessica could only stare at the unbelievable situation, though her face remains stoic.

"Ow, ow, ow!" the kid yelps. "Unnie, I'm a patient! You can't treat a patient this way!"

"A patient should also be resting and NOT running around the halls screaming her lungs out and disturbing other people," the nurse reprimands as she drags the kid to the vacant bed next to Jessica's.

"But she was hurting!" reasoned the kid as she points at Jessica.

"She wouldn't be hurting if you had been careful."

"Geez, I already apologized. Why isn't your heart as beautiful as your face?"

"Yah, Kim Taeyeon."

The kid, or Kim Taeyeon as the nurse had called her, sticks out her tongue as she kicks her legs back and forth while sitting on the bed. The nurse only releases an annoyed huff before turning to Jessica and checking her up. She introduces herself as Kahi.

"Do you still feel dizzy?" she asks.

"No. I think I'm okay now," Jessica replies.

"That's great. Aside from a broken leg, looks like you're all set," says the nurse warmly.

Those word struck Jessica like lightning. Broken leg. She has a broken leg. Her eyes widen in surprise as she finally sees the big white cast on her right leg. She looks at the nurse in alarm.

"How... How did I..?"

"Well, as much as I would love to stay here and chat I still have a few other patients to check up on," the nurse tells her. "Taeyeon here has something to tell you. I'll come check up on you again later, okay? Also, come up to the nurse's station when you want to call your parents."

With that, the nurse leaves leaving Jessica and Taeyeon in the room by themselves. Slowly, she turns a little towards the kid and waits for an explanation. Taeyeon clears before attempting to smile.

"Hi, I'm Taeyeon," she says. "Which you probably already know. You're name's Jessica. I saw you're records from Kahi unnie's--"

"Why am I here, Kim Taeyeon," Jessica cuts in, a statement rather than a question.

"Oh, that. Well, funny story actually. I was at the park, see. And then my friend had a frisbee with him so we played for a bit. I was really good! My arms are practically made for throwi--"

"Cut to the chase."

"The-frisbee-got-stuck-on-a-tree-so-I-went-to-get-it-and-then-I-fell-on-you-I'm-sorry-please-don't-kill-me," squeals Taeyeon as she closes her eyes and hides her face behind her palms.

Jessica actually feels a little annoyed now. She was supposed to be spending her perfect day at home, curled up with a book with the AC turned up high. Yet now she's here, stuck in a hospital room with a kid she barely knows who apparently is the cause of the big cast she's now sporting. She's blaming Taecyeon and Nicole for this.

Taecyeon and Nicole. Now she remembers.

"Idiots," Jessica mutters under her breath.

Taeyeon opens her eyes and peeks through the gaps of her fingers. She sees Jessica seeth and silently wishes her for her impending death to be fast and painless. In her mind, however, she still prays for her safety.

"Look," she hears Jessica say, "I don't like you."

"That's understandable. I'm really sorry."

"Who brought me here?"

"I did. You fainted when I landed on you and your leg got kinda twisted when it got pinned under me so I carried you over here."

"You... carried me? But you're really short."

"Yah! I am not that short!"

"Says you."

"Like you're any taller. Also, I got us on a taxi. So the fare..."

"You broke my leg."

"I'll shut up now."

"Good."

Jessica leans back on her bed and lies back down. She can't walk yet anyway so might as well take this chance to sleep. Taeyeon looks at her from the other bed in curiosity.

"What are you doing?"

"Sleep."

"Why aren't you calling your parents?" she asks.

"I thought you were going to shut up?"

"Yeah, but usually when kids get sent to the hospital they cry and ask for their moms and stuff."

"So?"

"So why aren't you?"

"They won't be back for another couple of weeks or so anyway. Might as well make use of my health insurance and rest up here."

"Health... what?"

"Nothing. What would a kid like you know?" sighs Jessica. "Now shut up and let me sleep."

"It's not like you're not a kid yourself."

Jessica covers herself with the hospital blanket and closes her eyes, intent on ignoring Taeyeon. The other girl could only sigh as she lies back down on her own bed, copying Jessica. They stay silent for a long time. Jessica is probably already asleep.

Unable to withstand the quiet air any longer, Taeyeon starts humming a song. She gets to the second verse when she hears Jessica silently singing along. A smile plays along her lips as she turns to face the other girl, motivated to sing a little louder. Jessica sings a little louder, too.

They never get to finish the song. When Jessica emerges from the blanket and meets Taeyeon's gaze, they start giggling.

"You know that song, too?"

"Spending Time with You by the L.A. Boyz. I don't live under a rock."

"Right. Well, not a lot of kids listen to R&B. I'm actually more surprised you sang with me. I thought you were asleep."

"You sounded so lonely so I sang along."

"How considerate of you," says Taeyeon flatly.

"You're welcome," retorts Jessica without missing a beat.

They get quiet again. Jessica stares at the ceiling, counting imaginary cracks. Taeyeon stares at Jessica. Feeling the other girl's gaze on her, Jessica breaks the silence.

"Say it."

"Say what?" asks Taeyeon.

"Whatever it is that you want to say. You're staring too hard. Makes me feel like you're curious about something."

"Oh. Well, it's just that... I think you're really pretty."

A pause.

"How old are you, Taeyeon?" asks Jessica.

"Eight years old. Why?"

"Eight years old and already a sweet-talker. You'll get far in life, my friend."

"What do you mean?"

"That road will get you in lots of trouble, though. You should be careful."

"You know, we've only spent a few hours together so far and I still can't understand half of what you're saying."

Taeyeon's face scrunches in legitimate confusion. This gets Jessica cackling. When she finally calms down, she apologizes half heartedly.

"I have a weird sense of you humor," she explains.

"Clearly," deadpans Taeyeon.

It takes three beats before both of them starts giggling again. Jessica moreso. Taeyeon's already chuckling. This is an eight-year-old's world.

"Shouldn't you be calling your parents, too?" asks Jessica once they settle down.

"Nah, my dad's on a meeting upstairs. He's head doctor or whatever. I never really pay attention. He'll pick me up if he's free."

"Wow, your dad works here?"

"Yup. I basically grew up in this hospital. Kahi unnie has seen me since I was a baby."

"Kahi unnie?"

"Your nurse from earlier. Don't tell me you forgot?"

"Sorry, I'm bad at remembering people."

"You better not forget me," Taeyeon narrows her eyes.

"How could I? You made quite an impact."

"I already said I'm sorry," whines Taeyeon.

"I know, I know," giggles Jessica. "Don't worry. I don't hold grudges."

"Thank gods for that."

They lapse into a different conversation. Taeyeon tells her about the weird people in the hospital, like that grumpy old lady in one of the private rooms who gives Taeyeon tangerines even though she always says how annoying the kid is. Jessica tells her about her little sister Krystal and that time she cried when she thought her shadow was following her.

"Speaking of people that I know, I wonder why my friends are not here yet?" says Jessica.

"Must be because I didn't tell anyone when I brought you to the hospital," shrugs Taeyeon.

"Motherf--"

"Of dragons!" cuts in Taeyeon sternly. "You shouldn't curse."

"Shut up. You dragged me here without telling my friends. This is technically your fault."

"I thought you didn't hold grudges!"

"Maybe I should start now."

"No! Don't!" Taeyeon squeals. "Look, I'll go to the nurse's station and get you a phone so that you can call their houses. It's only been, like, about six hours since you passed out."

"Six hours?!"

"Yep, getting that phone now. Be right back~"

Taeyeon runs like her life depended on it. She figures the sooner she gets that phone, the less angry Jessica will be at her. She doesn't want Jessica to hate her. The girl is too pretty to have as a hater.

When she gets back, Jessica is already sitting up. She gives the borrowed cellular phone to the waiting girl with an overplayed apologetic smile. It usually got her out of trouble. She can only hope it works on Jessica as well.

Jessica takes the phone from her hands and dials a number from memory. She doesn't scorn. Taeyeon makes a mental celebratory dance.

"Hello, uncle Jun?" she says through the speakers. "This is Jessica."

Taeyeon gets back on her bed as she waits for Jessica to finish her phone call. With nothing to do, she plops on her back with a bounce and stare at the white ceiling. She could hear Jessica try to calm down whoever is on the other line, this uncle Jun person or whatever.

"Yes, Taecyeon. I'm not missing nor dead and neither you nor Nicole can have my dessert. See you later. I'm hanging up."

Jessica ends the call and tells Taeyeon to take the phone back. She obediently does so and rushes to return it from wherever she got it from. She goes back in the room and plops her  on the bed.

"Hey, Taeyeon," calls the other girl.

"Yeah?"

"You fell on me from a tree, right?" inquires Jessica.

"Pretty much."

"Why aren't you injured?"

"You were there to catch me when I fell," replies Taeyeon.

They latch into another bout of silence, Jessica unable to comment on Taeyeon's last statement. The silence this time, however, is comfortable. Enough so that even Taeyeon doesn't feel the urge to break it. It takes a while until Jessica does.

"Hey Taeyeon," she calls again.

"Yes?"

Jessica gives her a smile.

"I actually don't not like you."